Tax On Items Posted From Uk

danw

OK, I have searched but not found anything specific to my question, please point me at a thread if I am just being dumb..

I want a friend to post some items from the UK to Thailand, these are specifically, 2 pairs of shoes, a bottle of fragrance, and possibly a pair of reference monitor speakers.

All items are used, I want them posted because I have really specific tastes and cannot find them anywhere in thailand, really.

What's the situation on tax, how much should I expect to pay? Total new value of the shoes and fragrance is around 10,000 baht, the monitor speakers around 15,000

Should I get them all posted together in a big box, or split them up, and what should i be prepared for in terms of import tax. Would I be better posting to a Thai friend?

Advice much appreciated!

Dan

Edited by danw

OK, I have searched but not found anything specific to my question, please point me at a thread if I am just being dumb..

I want a friend to post some items from the UK to Thailand, these are specifically, 2 pairs of shoes, a bottle of fragrance, and possibly a pair of reference monitor speakers.

All items are used, I want them posted because I have really specific tastes and cannot find them anywhere in thailand, really.

What's the situation on tax, how much should I expect to pay? Total new value of the shoes and fragrance is around 10,000 baht, the monitor speakers around 15,000

Should I get them all posted together in a big box, or split them up, and what should i be prepared for in terms of import tax. Would I be better posting to a Thai friend?

Advice much appreciated!

Dan

I'm always getting my family and friends to send me things from the UK to Thailand - including (new and used) shoes, clothes, mobile phones, ipod etc - I never paid any tax, Just get it sent straight to my home.

I'm always getting my family and friends to send me things from the UK to Thailand - including (new and used) shoes, clothes, mobile phones, ipod etc - I never paid any tax, Just get it sent straight to my home.

That's a bit of good news! May I ask what postal service do you use, Royal Mail recorded?

That's a bit of good news! May I ask what postal service do you use, Royal Mail recorded?

umm, I guess its Royal mail recorded, I never know as I'm not the one who sends it, but I do sign for it when it arrives here.

It takes around 3 days sending it by air mail from UK - Thailand.

I'm just like you, I have specific tastes of clothes and shoes that you'd never find in Thailand.

Also like to add, I have bought things from ebay that come from all over the world and never had to pay tax.

http://customs.go.th/customs-Eng/PostalPar...stalParcels.jsp

Try this link. It explains the law, but of course tit.

If the poster declares the value of the parcel contents as less than 1000 b there is no duty to pay. But customs officers may open the package to check the veracity of the declaration.

Above 1000 b Thai customs can apply import duties.

It is all hit and miss - sometimes no charges are applied, at other times excessive charges are applied.

In my experience parcels posted from Uk (Royal mail) have arrived here with no charges to pay even though the value was well above the 1000 b limit.

In another case, my daughter posted some dvd's with photos of my new granddaughter (using DHL express service). I had to pay 3000 b before they ewould hand over the package. I could have appealed against the charges, which were clearly wrong, but would have had to wait several weeks to receive the dvd's - so I just paid.

Best of luck.

http://customs.go.th/customs-Eng/PostalPar...stalParcels.jsp

Try this link. It explains the law, but of course tit.

If the poster declares the value of the parcel contents as less than 1000 b there is no duty to pay. But customs officers may open the package to check the veracity of the declaration.

Above 1000 b Thai customs can apply import duties.

It is all hit and miss - sometimes no charges are applied, at other times excessive charges are applied.

In my experience parcels posted from Uk (Royal mail) have arrived here with no charges to pay even though the value was well above the 1000 b limit.

In another case, my daughter posted some dvd's with photos of my new granddaughter (using DHL express service). I had to pay 3000 b before they ewould hand over the package. I could have appealed against the charges, which were clearly wrong, but would have had to wait several weeks to receive the dvd's - so I just paid.

Best of luck.

Thanks for that post, chickenlegs, I never knew about this.

For over 2 years I've never been charged any tax, and everything sent was well over 1000b. I guess I'm lucky. lol.

I hope you're lucky too, Dan.

Thanks for all advice, some of these are ebay items too ChueachatsBoy - have you come across a Thai ebay style site out of interest?

Think I am going to ship the Monitor Speakers seperately, thats where the real sting could happen. But fingers crossed on them all!

Thanks again for the helpful replies, am getting everything sent Royal Mail signed for.

Mmm just to say I had to pay import tax on a pair of used shoes - was not a happy bunny!!! :D Something stupid like 1,500bt.

Now whenever we get parcels sent from the UK, everyone writes 'toiletries' and less than 10-15 pounds. (Royal Mail recorded delivery).

Be careful if the sender insures the contents with the Royal Mail though (this info is attached on the outside of the box/envelope). The Thai customs WILL charge you Import tax based on the amount insured...

We have previously appealed when charged what we believed was unfair import tax - (you will need a Thai person to help you complete the form etc and your goods will be returned to Customs to be opened and inspected). This only took a week and a half :D Although we do know our local Post office guys an dthey are always helpful! :D

Never post anything valuable WITHOUT Recorded delivery to Thailand. (When i first arrived here a few years ago, my Mum unfortunately forgot to do recorded delivery for a mobile phone in a parcel to me from the UK to here in Thailand..... I never received it... :o

Good luck!

Mmm just to say I had to pay import tax on a pair of used shoes - was not a happy bunny!!! :D Something stupid like 1,500bt.

Now whenever we get parcels sent from the UK, everyone writes 'toiletries' and less than 10-15 pounds. (Royal Mail recorded delivery).

Be careful if the sender insures the contents with the Royal Mail though (this info is attached on the outside of the box/envelope). The Thai customs WILL charge you Import tax based on the amount insured...

We have previously appealed when charged what we believed was unfair import tax - (you will need a Thai person to help you complete the form etc and your goods will be returned to Customs to be opened and inspected). This only took a week and a half :D Although we do know our local Post office guys an dthey are always helpful! :D

Never post anything valuable WITHOUT Recorded delivery to Thailand. (When i first arrived here a few years ago, my Mum unfortunately forgot to do recorded delivery for a mobile phone in a parcel to me from the UK to here in Thailand..... I never received it... :o

Good luck!

My tip would be to use Royal Mail and not DHL or similar. Somebody thought they were doing me a favour by sending a second-hand item using DHL with a high insurance value, and the amount demanded by customs was so high that I left the item where it was.

• 1 month later...

As an update, I had 3 items shipped:

1 - Some aftershave via USPS (not UPS) from the states, arrived no customs check

2 - A pair of shoes, UK Recorded, arrived no customs check (and no signature asked for..)

3 - Another pair of shoes, UPS - customs whacked on 60% of the stated value AND the shipping cost

From other experiences, I use Swedish snus tobacco, and often order online, it's been hit and miss with taxation, the rule on tobacco is 40% but it has varied between about 20% and ridiculously high :-/

Last order, (after getting being taxed 2800baht on a value of 800baht tobacco) I chanced it with standard Swiss postal delivery (no tracking) - arrived within a week, no customs check.

So, the rule appears to be, so long as you have a trustworthy postman!! avoid UPS. Test first by sending something that looks valuable but isnt to check if your postie is on the rob ;-)

Edited by danw

umm, I guess its Royal mail recorded, I never know as I'm not the one who sends it, but I do sign for it when it arrives here.

It takes around 3 days sending it by air mail from UK - Thailand.

I'm just like you, I have specific tastes of clothes and shoes that you'd never find in Thailand.

Also like to add, I have bought things from ebay that come from all over the world and never had to pay tax.

You have been very lucky,.and 3 days from the uk is almost unheard of ,unless by express courier,a sign of who brings it will be written on the side of the delivery van or the invoice you receive, or if you pick up from the post office it will be EMS,

• 1 year later...

I have just ordered some jewellery to be sent to my UK address and was going to get a friend to ship to me in thailand. now I am very concerned as I am scared of the import tax. the value is about 100,000 baht!!!!! what can i do?

Shall i ship it with value declared as 10,000 baht or something? what about insurance?

please help!!!!!!