Help Out A Newbie

Sao Jiang Mai

Hi, I am a TV member from Chiang Mai, down here in Phuket for one month to get out of the office. I would love some advice and pointers for my stay here in Nai Harn:

I noticed there were not many Nai Harn restaurants in the restaurant thread, any other recommendations? Especially something healthy...trying to lose weight!

Where is the nearest gym in Hai Harn?

I want to get to know Phuket and spend some of my days going to interesting places (have rented a car, so can travel), visit lovely beaches, find cool waterfalls, discover hidden gems, join writers' or art clubs, basically get active and join the community. I would be so grateful for pointers.

I thought I would be happy on my own for a month, but forgot that I am a seroiusly social person, so am already pining for company after 48 hours...do you know any good pubs/hangouts that I can go to and meet some locals or expats? I am half Thai, so speak both languages.

Any great advice would be so very appreciated.

Thank you!

Pim

Hi, I am a TV member from Chiang Mai, down here in Phuket for one month to get out of the office. I would love some advice and pointers for my stay here in Nai Harn:

I noticed there were not many Nai Harn restaurants in the restaurant thread, any other recommendations? Especially something healthy...trying to lose weight!

Where is the nearest gym in Hai Harn?

I want to get to know Phuket and spend some of my days going to interesting places (have rented a car, so can travel), visit lovely beaches, find cool waterfalls, discover hidden gems, join writers' or art clubs, basically get active and join the community. I would be so grateful for pointers.

I thought I would be happy on my own for a month, but forgot that I am a seroiusly social person, so am already pining for company after 48 hours...do you know any good pubs/hangouts that I can go to and meet some locals or expats? I am half Thai, so speak both languages.

Any great advice would be so very appreciated.

Thank you!

Pim

These Phuket TV members, such a helpful lot, no?

O.K. Pim, here is my stab at it.

"I noticed there were not many Nai Harn restaurants in the restaurant thread, any other recommendations? "

-TV advertiser Don of Don's has an extensive menu and a Saturday night HUGE barbecue feed. You'll not lose weight eating at Don's (but get more exercise anyway :o ).

-All along Rawai beach are Thai barbecue restaurants, weather permitting get your Thai food on a mat in the sand. Salaloy has tables.

-Jei Fai on Sai Yuan, inexpensive quality Thai food.

-Pizza, M&M's on Rawai Beach, and Davinci in the Bentzer Plaza.

-a burrito, Los Amigos at Nai Hairn Lake

"Where is the nearest gym in Hai Harn?"

Rawai Gym, the gym in the spa/resort that had all the penis statues(cut through road from Nai Hairn to Rawai Beach), a newer Gym I saw out on the main road,big sign you can't miss it.

"I want to get to know Phuket and spend some of my days going to interesting places (have rented a car, so can travel), visit lovely beaches, find cool waterfalls, discover hidden gems, join writers' or art clubs, basically get active and join the community. I would be so grateful for pointers."

In one month? Be serious.

"I thought I would be happy on my own for a month, but forgot that I am a seroiusly social person, so am already pining for company after 48 hours...do you know any good pubs/hangouts that I can go to and meet some locals or expats? I am half Thai, so speak both languages."

Christin Massage in Patong is generally a well known hangout. You'll find many expats at all times of the day on Soi Bangla in Patong. The locals there are quite interesting, some tall ladies with deep voices, you'll probably find them most interesting. Good subject matter for the writers club, consider the load of makeup an art in itself.

Thanks for the reply and some useful info, I will certainly follow some of your advice. Sorry, I am Thai, so I don't get overly excited by the sight of kratoey.

Didn't mean I wanted to become part of the community, just meet some people that is all. Its not so hard in Chiang Mai so I assumed it would be the same here. Nevermind. Anyway, I shall persevere, thanks, much apprecaited.

I see a new gym at Rawai that opened recently. It is on Vichit Road across from the Sea Shell Museum (near Evason, on the East side)

The one that Huggy Bear mentioned seems pretty dead compared to this new one.

You might want to try the "Green Man" as there is a theatrical club that meets there once a week and puts on some plays. Some of them go to some of the writers guild get togethers too (not sure where)

If you don't want the girlie bars, try Yoonique over at Nai Harn lake. Tuesday nights are jam nights and can be interesting although lately it's been pretty slow there too. (everywhere is fairly slow now) Some of the Thai artists in the area hang out there and also play some traditional Thai music from time to time.

Also, check out the Batik school near the Phuket Riding club. The Thai man who owns it is an excellent musician as well as artist and has travelled extensively. I'd go give him a chat if i were you.

Next door to him is one of our favorite restaurants called Bahn Suan. Excellent Thai food in a nice setting. I agree that the restaurants along Rawai beach can be very good weather permitting. If you want to travel to the northern tip of the island, the restaurant at the new "Sala Phuket" (near the JW Marriott) has the very best food I've seen on Phuket.

There is a waterfall on the northern part of the island that i take my kid to that is near the Gibbon rehabilitation center. Turn east at the Heroine monument and follow signs to the Gibbon Rehab center. It is near there (walking distance)

Enjoy PHuket. It has a lot to offer. Personally I stay away from Patong except when friends come to visit. To each his own.

Re pubs/hangouts to chat with people - Rawai beach is a short drive from Nai Harn. Sunshine Bar and Up To You bar (both along the beach road) have Thai staff and both get some Thai customers as well as plenty of farangs. Think you will find them both friendly bars.

Re places to visit around Phuket, I found the following blog/website really useful.

http://jamie-monk.blogspot.com/

Down the sidebar you'll find links to beaches, places to visit, etc etc. What I like about the website/blog is that he mentions lots of places that are not mentioned on the usual tourist websites. Anyway, take a look - it might give you some ideas of places to visit. Enjoy your stay!

How very kind of you all. Thank you. I have discovered Yoonique, very friendly and good music, so am happy days about that. I went to Rawai, but am still getting a bit lost. I will check out your batik place and waterfall and all the other lovely suggestions. Love hanging out by Kata and Karon, but that scary road back late at night after a few drinks is just not the way forward, so will resist. By the way, I am a woman, so, no, not really into girlie bars...though I suppose some are...well, I am not, but thanks.

Kob khun jao.