Dulwich International College

phormio

They recruit from overseas - aren't really set up to hire from Phuket. When I went there - there wasn't even anyone to talk to - just a few clerks around.

They are looking for a minimum of a B.Ed., home country teaching qualification and certification, and at least a couple years experience in your home country's elementary/secondary schools.

They recruit from overseas - aren't really set up to hire from Phuket.  When I went there - there wasn't even anyone to talk to - just a few clerks around.

They are looking for a minimum of a B.Ed., home country teaching qualification and certification, and at least a couple years experience in your home country's elementary/secondary schools.

If they stick religiously to that, then I'm underqualified , though I have 45 Semester Hours in a very good graduate engineering program from the States.

What did you think of the place, any insights or thoughts?

They recruit from overseas - aren't really set up to hire from Phuket.  When I went there - there wasn't even anyone to talk to - just a few clerks around.

If they stick religiously to that, then I'm underqualified , though I have 45 Semester Hours in a very good graduate engineering program from the States.

What did you think of the place, any insights or thoughts?

They stick to their requirements - they must to maintain their accreditation.

If you're wrong, I'll never tell

:o

The real "international schools" have a great deal invested in their accreditation - particularly the ability to charge corporations almost insane amounts to educate the children of their international employees.

Anyway, if you hear or experience otherwise - do let us all know.

:D

The real "international schools" have a great deal invested in their accreditation - particularly the ability to charge corporations almost insane amounts to educate the children of their international employees.

I'm aware of the accredidation issue - thought i'd give it a shot - maybe I'll get lucky. Though I believe that there is a second tier of schools which do not have such concerns on the accredidation front, charging a bit less in tuition and with correspondingly lower benefits packages. Would anyone have some suggestions on how I could locate a list of such schools. In addition I would like to identify schools with Mini/English Programs.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks.

:o

I'm aware of the accredidation issue - thought i'd give it a shot - maybe I'll get lucky. Though I believe that there is a second tier of schools which do not have such concerns on the accredidation front, charging a bit less in tuition and with correspondingly lower benefits packages. Would anyone have some suggestions on how I could locate a list of such schools. In addition I would like to identify schools with Mini/English Programs.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks.

I kinda like your hard-headness, and I encourage you to shoot for the stars! :o Think outside the box, and be willing to put forth the effort to do what you want... Dreams can come true :D

There are no other "first tier" international schools (other than Dulwich, at least in my opinion).

QSI near Tesco and Big C might be considered "second tier" with a comparable step down in wages and benefits.

The other "international" schools would be an additional step down from there in terms of quality and benefits. They pop up all the time - so there may be some new ones I am not aware of, but the most well known one would be Kajonkietsuksa – they also hire more people and advertise more than anyone else. They have paid, in the past, as low as B25-28,000 - and (again in the past) have asked some teachers to hold their first month's pay as a guarantee that they would complete their full one-year contract. They also, at one time, offered NO annual vacation time! Though, I think that issue has been resolved. On the flip side – if Ajarn Claire is heading the EFL department there (she was a while back) – then you can count on good fair management of your department. I’ve been out of town for a couple months – so am not sure of the current situation there.

Ajarn is right - go for the stars, but I would also say that you should stay real in what is possible and don't bet your life savings on the big numbers. Certainly I too, have been able to beat the odds from time to time.

There are no other "fist tier" international schools (other than Dulwich, at least in my opinion). 

QSI near Tesco and Big C might be considered "second tier" with a comparable step down in wages and benefits. 

The other "international" schools would be an additional step down from there in terms of quality and benefits.  They pop up all the time - so there may be some new ones I am not aware of, but the most well known one would be Kajonkietsuksa – they also hire more people and advertise more than anyone else.  They have paid, in the past, as low as B25-28,000 - and (again in the past) have asked some teachers to hold their first month's pay as a guarantee that they would complete their full one-year contract.  They also, at one time, offered NO annual vacation time!  Though, I think that issue has been resolved.  On the flip side – if Ajarn Claire is heading the EFL department there (she was a while back) – then you can count on good fair management of your department.  I’ve been out of town for a couple months – so am not sure of the current situation there.

Ajarn is right - go for the stars, but I would also say that you should stay real in what is possible and don't bet your life savings on the big numbers.  Certainly I too, have been able to beat the odds from time to time.

Thanks for the suggestions. I've been out of the loop for a couple of days- my one year old daughter has shifted over to very strange hours these days ; perhaps its a sign she's looking forward to the 12 hour shift when we move to Thailand. :o