Laptops Without Os

pgrin

I see many brand name laptops for sale here in Thailand but the price does not include an operating system(Windows XP or Vista). If I buy one of these computers without an OS, what are my options to get it up and running? Thanks in advance for any input.

P

Edited by pgrin

Guest Reimar

The cheapest way is to use Linux like Ubuntu, Fedora or some like that. That's OS's are free and you can download from the Internet. If you don't like them, you need to buy what you want and that could be a bit expensive.

Personally I didn't suggest to use any pirated version of an OS and it's even against the forum rules to discuss that on this board.

Cheers.

I see many brand name laptops for sale here in Thailand but the price does not include an operating system(Windows XP or Vista). If I buy one of these computers without an OS, what are my options to get it up and running? Thanks in advance for any input.

P

Either linux, if you are comfortable with it.

Or get the store to install Windows for you. I would imagine that brand name stores can install a genuine copy of Windows for you for about BHT 1500 - 2000. The OEM Windows price is around $50. If you buy the laptop and buy off-the-shelf Windows, it's going to be more expensive because retail Windows costs $100 and up.

If they offer to install Windows free of charge you know that's a Pantip copy. Actually, if you don't say anything, that's what will happen in all likelihood. They officially sell the machine as "without OS" but then install a pirated Windows on delivery. Very convenient, but actually illegal. TIT. :o