Decent Thai Wine

telaksslave

A few too many snobby people associated with wine.

If it tastes good. then drink and enjoy it.

And sod the so called experts.

It’s not normal for people to except, people telling them what to like and dislike.

But the wine boys and girls will try to do this.

Don’t let them.

It's not normal for people to except, people telling them what to like and dislike.

Don't let them.

HAHA JUST LIKE THAT :o

can you buy a decent thai wine in pattaya im fed up with paying the duties that are imposed on imported wines and before anyone says there are no decent thai wines yes there are i had some in bangkok and not that horrible stuff that was being sold in carrefour on a stall downstairs, i wouldnt put that stuff on my chips

decent thai wine is neither available in Pattaya nor anywhere else. reason: there is no decent thai wine :o

your obviously not as clever as you think, i was in bangkok last week at the kinnaree restaurant probably the best thai restaurant in bangkok, if theres abetter one id like to know and i had some wine called monsoon valley and it was very good, i suggest you stick to your leo beer mixed with 100 pipers :D and i do know what im talking about ive worked in some of the best hotels in europe

Rubbish!!! I'm afraid you SIR don't know your wine! Obviously working in some of best hotels in Europe has not taught anything! Read my lips: There is no such thing as good Thai Wine!

Reading this thread convinces me that most of the people who have contributed to it have never bothered really trying Thai wines. They probably tried one glass and wrote it off. Of course there are some perfectly decent Thai wines---Monsoon Valley makes a number and there are other decent wines also. Some have even won awards. Monsoon Valley actually export the majority of their production to the US and UK. To those who say there are no drinkable ones, I say, try drinking some! The problem is that they are not noticeably cheaper, for what they are, because of the tax. Consequently, I usually end up drinking the imports, but this is not because they are not drinkable. Try some with an open mind---you have only your prejudices to lose!

As Thai wines are taxed the same way as imported wines, why bother?

oh right i didnt realize that, it puts a different perspective on the whole issue and it also proves what idiots are running thailand my thread was why pay large taxes on an equivilant imported wine when you you dont have to pay the taxes on thailand wine, irrelevent of what different people think of its quality, thats a personal thing, i was trying to find out about good value, well another good example of shooting yourselves in the foot well done thailand

It's called GREED :D:D:o

can you buy a decent thai wine in pattaya im fed up with paying the duties that are imposed on imported wines and before anyone says there are no decent thai wines yes there are i had some in bangkok and not that horrible stuff that was being sold in carrefour on a stall downstairs, i wouldnt put that stuff on my chips

decent thai wine is neither available in Pattaya nor anywhere else. reason: there is no decent thai wine :o

your obviously not as clever as you think, i was in bangkok last week at the kinnaree restaurant probably the best thai restaurant in bangkok, if theres abetter one id like to know and i had some wine called monsoon valley and it was very good, i suggest you stick to your leo beer mixed with 100 pipers :D and i do know what im talking about ive worked in some of the best hotels in europe

Rubbish!!! I'm afraid you SIR don't know your wine! Obviously working in some of best hotels in Europe has not taught anything! Read my lips: There is no such thing as good Thai Wine!

silly boy go away ignorance is bliss

As Thai wines are taxed the same way as imported wines, why bother?

oh right i didnt realize that, it puts a different perspective on the whole issue and it also proves what idiots are running thailand my thread was why pay large taxes on an equivilant imported wine when you you dont have to pay the taxes on thailand wine, irrelevent of what different people think of its quality, thats a personal thing, i was trying to find out about good value, well another good example of shooting yourselves in the foot well done thailand

It's called GREED :D:D:o

yep i agree on that one

Chilean wines have always been highly regarded...Aussie ones are cheap-end mass produced,some but ONLY one or two really top quality....very little compared to Chile or USA.

There is normally a good reason for wines to be poo-pooed at first and that is they are crap.....it takes time and a lot of cumulative know-how to produce a good wine and then consistently produce good wine thereafter.

australia decided to go for quantity rather than quality and spent a lot of time and effort getting consistency to do this they use preservatives and stainless steel production facilities. the results are usually a consistently mediocre wine that tastes too sharp and never ages properly.

Other countries have gone for different qualities or more varied wines. I still think the variation in regions and by the year of European wines (especially French) makes the whole experience far more exiting interesting and leads to beautiful wines over a huge range. USA too produces some superbe quality wines.

Edited by wilko

It's not normal for people to except, people telling them what to like and dislike.

Don't let them.

In my opinion, which is worth no more or less than that of any other here, this thread should have been ended with your comments, Pig. The same applies to any other alcohol, from beer to aged whisky, as well as to food of all kinds. There is no "right or wrong" in matters of taste. There is only preference, which is always a matter of opinion.

Personally, I have not yet found a Thai wine that suits my taste. But I haven't tried many; and have no aversion to trying others. Over the many years that I have consumed wine, I've found many from all over the world, at a wide range of prices, that I like and dislike. And I will never accept some "gourmet's" scornful pontification that I am some sort of barbarian if I drink something that he deems less than "quality" wine.

Don't let them.

In my opinion, which is worth no more or less than that of any other here, this thread should have been ended with your comments, Pig. The same applies to any other alcohol, from beer to aged whisky, as well as to food of all kinds. There is no "right or wrong" in matters of taste. There is only preference, which is always a matter of opinion.

Personally, I have not yet found a Thai wine that suits my taste. But I haven't tried many; and have no aversion to trying others. Over the many years that I have consumed wine, I've found many from all over the world, at a wide range of prices, that I like and dislike. And I will never accept some "gourmet's" scornful pontification that I am some sort of barbarian if I drink something that he deems less than "quality" wine.

no-one likes to admit to being uncouth...or a pig.

I'm sorry but I can't respect someone's opinion who thinks that a bottle of corked wine is delicious.

taste like any sense can be developed used or destroyed by its owner....to appreciate anything, art, music food it always helps if you're educated in that field...and that means listening to the advice of others who have knowledge on a subject.

Edited by wilko

I'm french. And I enjoy french wines. Unfortunately 80% of french imported wines in Thailand are "table wine - Vin de table" !

But now in Pattaya we can find excellent wines from France. Thai French Wine (Soi 17) import only selected french wines. They have wines from Bordeaux and from Loire Valley. Most of them are AOC.

Most of prices are cheaper than Monsoon Valley wines !

And certainly, if I compare Medoc and Thai wines, they don't match in the same category.

2 days before I tasted a "Gamay de Touraine" (500 bahts) it was perfect.

Thai French Wine

I'm french. And I enjoy french wines. Unfortunately 80% of french imported wines in Thailand are "table wine - Vin de table" !

But now in Pattaya we can find excellent wines from France. Thai French Wine (Soi 17) import only selected french wines. They have wines from Bordeaux and from Loire Valley. Most of them are AOC.

And certainly, if I compare Medoc and Thai wines, they don't match in the same category.

Thai French Wine

im afraid most french wines are over priced and over rated, france thought they had the monoply on wines back in the 70s when they decided to take the law into there own hands by smashing up all the italian wines they could get there hands on, of course they were against the brits going in to Iraq as they were the biggest arms supplier to Iraq and there friend sadam, not to mention beef apples the list gos on and on

apparently thai home grown wine ids taxed at 400%

"Decent Thai wine" is an oxymoron.

A the time of writing I can't think of a single wine produced in the tropics tat is drinkable. wine is produced in Temperate or Mediterranean climates.

Monsoons are usually a blended concoctions and some are just about drinkable but nothing more...it's heavily promoted here and abroad....someone has got a lot of (govt?) money to promote what is really a pretty poor wine.

I think it is easy to look at the decor when tasting a wine and assume because the decor is nice, the wine must be.

Da Lat wine from Viet Nam.

Thai French Wine

im afraid most french wines are over priced and over rated, france thought they had the monoply on wines back in the 70s when they decided to take the law into there own hands by smashing up all the italian wines they could get there hands on, of course they were against the brits going in to Iraq as they were the biggest arms supplier to Iraq and there friend sadam, not to mention beef apples the list gos on and on

Despite the French wine industry being caught on the hop by the mass production in Australia and the like they continue to be the yardstick by which all wines are rated and continue to produce the best wines money can buy....(lots of money sometimes) - the variation in French wines from year to year and their unusual classification by region makes for great and interesting products, not subject to the massive uniformity and blandness from countries who believe that quantity is more important than quality.

It would also seem probable that anyone who is subjct to prejuices as irrational and severe as the poster above would be incapable of making an informed opinion on any subject at all.

name='wilko' date='2008-06-16 09:19:23' post='2036422']

I'm sorry but I can't respect someone's opinion who thinks that a bottle of corked wine is delicious.

taste like any sense can be developed used or destroyed by its owner....to appreciate anything, art, music food it always helps if you're educated in that field...and that means listening to the advice of others who have knowledge on a subject.

Wilko, my post was not an attack on you personally but

You chose to take it that way. Fine. Your rudeness

Now I would just like to remind you of a short fairy tale.

By Hans Christian Anderson .in 1837, this story is so relevant to people

of your ilk.

It is called The Emperors New Clothes.

And as the story tells, the emperor ends up with no cloths on in public. (not nice)

You're the Emperor, Wilko, :o:D:D

Now that said and done, put your cloths back on. :D

With your constant outbursts you only loose more street cred

on this forum, as we have all come to realize you are the full on Snob.

Please don't flame anymore it's so rude. :D

Good day to you Sir. :D

Apologies for any spelling or grammatical errors in this Toast.

Edited by plasticpig

name='wilko' date='2008-06-16 09:19:23' post='2036422']

Wilko, my post was not an attack on you personally but

You chose to take it that way. Fine. Your rudeness

Now I would just like to remind you of a short fairy tale.

By Hans Christian Anderson .in 1837, this story is so relevant to people

of your ilk.

It is called The Emperors New Clothes.

And as the story tells, the emperor ends up with no cloths on in public. (not nice)

You're the Emperor, Wilko, :o:D:D

Now that said and done, put your cloths back on. :D

With your constant outbursts you only loose more street cred

on this forum, as we have all come to realize you are the full on Snob.

Please don't flame anymore it's so rude. :D

Good day to you Sir. :D

Apologies for any spelling or grammatical errors in this Toast.

as far as I'm aware I haven't flamed you 9whoever you are)...you however as a reader of children's books may have found it difficult to understand what I wrote...so if you care to quote the passage you didn't understand, i'll try and explain it to you.......

Thai French Wine

Despite the French wine industry being caught on the hop by the mass production in Australia and the like they continue to be the yardstick by which all wines are rated and continue to produce the best wines money can buy....(lots of money sometimes) - the variation in French wines from year to year and their unusual classification by region makes for great and interesting products, not subject to the massive uniformity and blandness from countries who believe that quantity is more important than quality.

It would also seem probable that anyone who is subjct to prejuices as irrational and severe as the poster above would be incapable of making an informed opinion on any subject at all.

thats my opinion and theres not much point of you being on amy forum as only your opinion is right. go and look in the mirror and bore urself :o leave me alone silly boy

Some people just can't take criticism - if you voice an opinion be prepared to have it criticised...I'm only reflecting on the evidence of what you said....if you feel you are right don't slag me off, justify your premise.

i do know a little about wine and it's production....I've had to drink the stuff for years AND pay for it...so I've spent some time and effort finding out about it....now if you think you've got a better argument stick to it and expound.....

Edited by wilko

Some people just can't take criticism - if you voice an opinion be prepared to have it criticised...I'm only reflecting on the evidence of what you said....if you feel you are right don't slag me off, justify your premise.

i do know a little about wine and it's production....I've had to drink the stuff for years AND pay for it...so I've spent some time and effort finding out about it....now if you think you've got a better argument stick to it and expound.....

come on everyone CARM DOWN ive got some thai wine at home that says this partucular wine is good, its not the best in rhe world but its decent value, if someone says i dont know what im talKing about I DONT CARE "UP 2 U " :o

Edited by telaksslave

come on everyone CARM DOWN ive got some thai wine at home that says this partucular wine is good, its not the best in rhe world but its decent value, if someone says i dont know what im talKing about I DONT CARE "UP 2 U " :o

sorry chap. i don't drink!

Thai wine is unfortunately all cack. Industry is in its infancy so maybe before I die they will produce something drinkable.

Drinking a glass of d'Arenberg 2006 Shiraz Viognier as I type this.

(friend brought me a case back from Oz)

I’ve found myself developing a growing interest in wines, I’ve bought books and tried to learn and its all rather confusing to me, there are just so many variations. I work on the basis that experts know what they are talking about.

I’ve also experimented with wines that I have no idea about and found some crackers and some rocket fuel, but taste is such a personal thing. I’ve also found that some wines after 30mins or so after opening improve significantly and some don’t!

I’ve had Thai wine that I have enjoyed. Monsoon valley was one of these wines, and I was surprised after buying a couple of Bottles from up near Khao Yai area by Monsoon and PB valley wines.

I many of us look at the label and perhaps make a decision on how good the wine will be based on the grape, location and in some cases even the label design.

I find myself wondering that if the wine had no label and I didn’t know what it was, where it was from etc, would I have the same opinions after tasting it?

I recently enjoyed a trip to India where I wanted to try the Indian wine. I was pleasantly surprised by a bottle of White Sula 2005 (and Indian Wine), but I hated the Sula Red wine (maybe I had a bad bottle).

There is a huge amount of snobbery that I hate to partake in, but in my opinion experts are experts, if they tell me a Thai wine is not good then I’d have to believe them, however I believe given all factors including the infancy of the Wine industry in Thailand that some Thai wines are drinkable.

And if in the area, at B500 per bottle from a vineyard there is there is value when compared to prices of the international wines (and Thai wines) in the shops.

I believe that the old world wines are the bench mark and that their award structure is more reliable than the new world wines. Australian wines all seem to have an award, but I do enjoy many of those also, particularly for their consistency.

I’ve found that a wine fridge is a decent investment when buying in bulk some of the more famously decent wines i.e. Penfolds 389, 407, Baroness Philippine de Rothschild (from a contact of my girlfriends fathers), but these are saved for special dinners and not daily drinkers.

I discovered recently that some of the Thai wine’s discussed (particularly Monsoon Valley) are acceptable and I enjoying drinking something local now and again.

The problem with storing wines in the tropics is that even though you may have a fridge yourself, it is very likely that the bottle has been through several severe temperature changes between the vineyard and Thailand, which is not a good thing, so this is no uarantee that even a reputedly good bottle will be any good when opened.

Edited by wilko

some Thai wines are drinkable.

And if in the area, at B500 per bottle from a vineyard there is there is value when compared to prices of the international wines (and Thai wines) in the shops.

I bet a 400B bottle of Frontera Cabernet (Chile) will taste better than any Thai wine and is accordingly a far better value.

some Thai wines are drinkable.

I bet a 400B bottle of Frontera Cabernet (Chile) will taste better than any Thai wine and is accordingly a far better value.

you owe me 400 baht :D pm me and you can send it to my account :o