Decent Thai Wine

telaksslave

can you buy a decent thai wine in pattaya im fed up with paying the duties that are imposed on imported wines and before anyone says there are no decent thai wines yes there are i had some in bangkok and not that horrible stuff that was being sold in carrefour on a stall downstairs, i wouldnt put that stuff on my chips

can you buy a decent thai wine in pattaya im fed up with paying the duties that are imposed on imported wines and before anyone says there are no decent thai wines yes there are i had some in bangkok and not that horrible stuff that was being sold in carrefour on a stall downstairs, i wouldnt put that stuff on my chips

decent thai wine is neither available in Pattaya nor anywhere else. reason: there is no decent thai wine :o

decent thai wine is neither available in Pattaya nor anywhere else. reason: there is no decent thai wine :o

your obviously not as clever as you think, i was in bangkok last week at the kinnaree restaurant probably the best thai restaurant in bangkok, if theres abetter one id like to know and i had some wine called monsoon valley and it was very good, i suggest you stick to your leo beer mixed with 100 pipers :D and i do know what im talking about ive worked in some of the best hotels in europe

your obviously not as clever as you think, i was in bangkok last week at the kinnaree restaurant probably the best thai restaurant in bangkok, if theres abetter one id like to know and i had some wine called monsoon valley and it was very good, i suggest you stick to your leo beer mixed with 100 pipers :D and i do know what im talking about ive worked in some of the best hotels in europe

i've seen monsoon valley and bought,small off sales at the top end of soi post office,on the corner,and yes it's not bad at all.

p.s.about 6/7 months ago.

you Sir have no idea of wine as somebody who works in hotels can't afford a good bottle of wine :D

you Sir have no idea of wine as somebody who works in hotels can't afford a good bottle of wine :D

silly boy go away :D

Monsoon Valley is available in a number of decent restaurants including Cafe New Orleans and most of the supermarkets.

I have tried the White Shiraz which is reasonable but the red Pokdum I found was rough and acidic. It probably is more acceptable after a large aperitif :o

Monsoon Valley is available in a number of decent restaurants including Cafe New Orleans and most of the supermarkets.

I have tried the White Shiraz which is reasonable but the red Pokdum I found was rough and acidic. It probably is more acceptable after a large aperitif :o

ok what was you charged for a bottle ??

As far as I recall in the restaurant the red was 795 baht and the 2003 shiraz reserve was about 1200 baht :D

As far as I recall in the restaurant the red was 795 baht and the 2003 shiraz reserve was about 1200 baht :D

ok i can tell you i got the reps phone number and within 1 hour she was out to see me, impressive and the prices ive got is 420 baht a bottle a c/s is 2520 baht so that works out the same per bottle and the others are the same price colombard, white shiraz, shiraz and muscat, but they also sell south african and californian selections, i have ordered a selection as well the south african chardonay is only 270 for 75cl and the cab sauv is the same price , i will have the order delivered tomorrow and give it a whirl :D

Edited by telaksslave

Seconded, what the Thais call wine here makes Englsih wine look good. AND it's overpriced. Give me a $3 bottle of Viet Dalat wine anyday.

Seconded, what the Thais call wine here makes Englsih wine look good. AND it's overpriced. Give me a $3 bottle of Viet Dalat wine anyday.

if uv not tried monsoon valley sow wow :D

:D Yep, the Thai Wines are through the bench overpriced, if not, undrinkable and there are decent imports which are much, much better then any of the concoctions I ever ingested "made in Thailand"!

It's simple as that!

Edited by Samuian

The problem with wine prices in general is the duty/taxes payable on wine . As they do not have the same political clout as the beer and whiskey lobby these taxes are over the top (import duty for the imported stuff plus 200% tax on all wine). That is one reason a bottle scotch whiskey cost the same as bottle of wine.

Thai wines do not have a history of consistency, they are often set up with foreign advice and when the adviser leaves things often go awry.

I believe thai wines are getting better and the range is improving. BUT its early days yet and they have along way to go before they become world recognised.A lot of thai wine goes to Thai restaurants all round the world,so the have captive market for it.

New winery out by Buddha Mountain, Pattaya. I forget the name but are supposed to release their first wine, a new Shiraz, this month. A group of us with Pattaya City Expat Club took a tour last month and got generous large sample glasses and it was excellent.

New winery out by Buddha Mountain, Pattaya. I forget the name but are supposed to release their first wine, a new Shiraz, this month. A group of us with Pattaya City Expat Club took a tour last month and got generous large sample glasses and it was excellent.

It is called Silverlake Vinyard.

Not to be a stick in the mud,but Thai wines are PIG SWILL. Lived in Sonoma Ca. for over 11 years.I think Boonsfarm has better crap(not from Napa or Sonoma valley) These vineyards lack the main thing that grapes need. A very cold season for the grapes to go into a hibernating state & re-start growth after the cold snap. There is no cold here. Silverlake has good grape juice & that is all they have. in 100 years they will still have good grape juice unless Bang Sare hits an ice age era...............not gonna happen!

I recently tried a bottle of Khao Yai shiraz. It was around 750 bht at the Chok Chai farm steakhouse.

It is the first Thai wine I can recommend- having lived in the Barossa valley before moving here, I do miss decent wine. Its been a few years, so maybe they're better now, but I was far from impressed by the Monsoon Valley.

Correct.

Thai wine is great to get out late in the evening.

Gives you a chance to keep the decent stuff back for another day.

Generally in my humble opinion Thai wine to wine lovers is what Kraft cheese is to cheese buffs...........

Dose not deserve to be in the same glass .

As Thai wines are taxed the same way as imported wines, why bother?

oh right i didnt realize that, it puts a different perspective on the whole issue and it also proves what idiots are running thailand my thread was why pay large taxes on an equivilant imported wine when you you dont have to pay the taxes on thailand wine, irrelevent of what different people think of its quality, thats a personal thing, i was trying to find out about good value, well another good example of shooting yourselves in the foot well done thailand

apparently thai home grown wine ids taxed at 400%

"Decent Thai wine" is an oxymoron.

A the time of writing I can't think of a single wine produced in the tropics tat is drinkable. wine is produced in Temperate or Mediterranean climates.

Monsoons are usually a blended concoctions and some are just about drinkable but nothing more...it's heavily promoted here and abroad....someone has got a lot of (govt?) money to promote what is really a pretty poor wine.

I think it is easy to look at the decor when tasting a wine and assume because the decor is nice, the wine must be.

I recently tried a bottle of Khao Yai shiraz. It was around 750 bht at the Chok Chai farm steakhouse.

It is the first Thai wine I can recommend- having lived in the Barossa valley before moving here, I do miss decent wine. Its been a few years, so maybe they're better now, but I was far from impressed by the Monsoon Valley.

Oh dear!

A the time of writing I can't think of a single wine produced in the tropics tat is drinkable. wine is produced in Temperate or Mediterranean climates.

Monsoons are usually a blended concoctions and some are just about drinkable but nothing more...it's heavily promoted here and abroad....someone has got a lot of (govt?) money to promote what is really a pretty poor wine.

I think it is easy to look at the decor when tasting a wine and assume because the decor is nice, the wine must be.

thats what was said about aussie wine originaly south african, chile and so on but i take your point on the temperate thing, thats an interesting point i will have to have a look at that and the validity of it, as youve put a spanner in my works, :D i am only looking at a " drinkable wine" :D

Edited by telaksslave

thats what was said about aussie wine originaly south african, chile and so on but i take your point on the temperate thing, thats an interesting point i will have to have a look at that and the validity of it, as youve put a spanner in my works :D