Things To Do

makavelli

Hi everyone,

Bringing my parents to Hua Hin in the Summer for a few days. I want to do some tourist things with them but have no idea what Hua Hin has to offer. any ideas would be much appreciated.

Staying at the Hilton

Thanks

Hi everyone,

Bringing my parents to Hua Hin in the Summer for a few days. I want to do some tourist things with them but have no idea what Hua Hin has to offer. any ideas would be much appreciated.

Staying at the Hilton

Thanks

Dining out of course is a popular activity in Hua Hin as it has a plethora of restaurants offering both Thai and Foreign food from most areas of the world. Also, the prices range from very cheap to very expensive depending on tastes and budget. Some of the best fresh seafood in Thailand is available at many beach side restaurants.

Hin Lek Fai mountain park with it's many view points over Hua Hin and Takiab with short walk hikes to get to some is and enjoyable outing on a clear day.

The largest bronze sculpture in the world (I've read) is a short distance from town at Wat Huey Mongkon (spelling?), which is a very famous Thai tourist attraction. The sculpture is of a famous Buddhist monk sitting in the lotus position and it is the size of a building.

The world famous floating market is only a little over an hour north in Ratchaburi province.

A little closer in Petchaburi is a mountain with some very old palaces and wats on top that is a nice day trip if they would be interested in that sort of thing. There is an incline railway to take tourists from the bottom up and down the mountain.

Farther afield maybe two hours away is the famous "Bridge over the river Kwai" of World War II (and Hollywood ) fame with historical museums and war cemeteries.

Wat Khao Takiab is a famous wat on the coast just south of town with it's giant golden standing Buddha right on the beach.

Further south (about an hour) is a national park that has a famous wat built in a cave in the rocks near the ocean. It can be visited by hiking in or by boat.

If either of your parents are golfers, there are about ten golf courses within an hours drive of town including Royal Hua Hin right in town which was the first golf course in the country.

The water off Hua Hin beach is rocky but there is horse back riding on the beach and if they like water sports the beaches at Cha-Am to the north and Takiab to the south are less rocky and have a variety of water activities.

Be sure to take them to the Night Market (a street that closes to traffic in the late afternoon and becomes a walking street full of vendors of everything from food to clothing, to local crafts. Another good night market that is open four or five nights a week is the Grand market near the Grand Hotel.

Next to the Grand Night Market and hotel is a gym that features authentic (not a show put on for tourists) Thai boxing matches one or two nights a week. There is also another Thai boxing tourist type exhibition on certain nights at a place near the Hilton.

There are elephant camps up in the surrounding hills where you can see shows of how elephants work and are trained to play sports and such. Elephant riding is also available there.

If they are coming this week, the Hua Hin Jazz Festival this coming Friday and Saturday night is a very big annual music event that is worth an evening out.

Palau waterfall is about an hour up in the mountains in a local park. It is a series of waterfalls that flow from the top to the bottom of the mountains. The lower couple of sets can be hiked to pretty easily on a dirt trail that runs beside the stream but the higher (and I've heard most spectacular) sets of falls require a strenuous climb on a trail that would be only for the very fit.

If they have any particular hobbies or interests, mention them and maybe someone can come up with some more ideas.

Hi everyone,

Staying at the Hilton

Thanks

Dining out of course is a popular activity in Hua Hin as it has a plethora of restaurants offering both Thai and Foreign food from most areas of the world. Also, the prices range from very cheap to very expensive depending on tastes and budget. Some of the best fresh seafood in Thailand is available at many beach side restaurants.

Hin Lek Fai mountain park with it's many view points over Hua Hin and Takiab with short walk hikes to get to some is and enjoyable outing on a clear day.

The largest bronze sculpture in the world (I've read) is a short distance from town at Wat Huey Mongkon (spelling?), large.jpgwhich is a very famous Thai tourist attraction. The sculpture is of a famous Buddhist monk sitting in the lotus position and it is the size of a building.

The world famous floating market is only a little over an hour north in Ratchaburi province.

A little closer in Petchaburi is a mountain with some very old palaces and wats on top that is a nice day trip if they would be interested in that sort of thing. There is an incline railway to take tourists from the bottom up and down the mountain. (Cable Car) :D

Farther afield maybe two hours away is the famous "Bridge over the river Kwai" large.jpgof World War II (and Hollywood ) fame with historical museums and war cemeteries.

Wat Khao Takiab is a famous wat on the coast just south of town with it's giant golden standing Buddha right on the beach. large.jpglarge.jpg

Go up and feed the monkeys

Further south (about an hour) is a national park that has a famous wat built in a cave in the rocks near the ocean. It can be visited by hiking in or by boat. Khao Sam Roi Yot National Park

If either of your parents are golfers, there are about ten golf courses within an hours drive of town including Royal Hua Hin right in town which was the first golf course in the country.

The water off Hua Hin beach is rocky but there is horse back riding on the beach and if they like water sports the beaches at Cha-Am to the north and Takiab to the south are less rocky and have a variety of water activities.

Be sure to take them to the Night Market (a street that closes to traffic in the late afternoon and becomes a walking street full of vendors of everything from food to clothing, to local crafts. Another good night market that is open four or five nights a week is the Grand market near the Grand Hotel.

Next to the Grand Night Market and hotel is a gym that features authentic (not a show put on for tourists) Thai boxing matches one or two nights a week. There is also another Thai boxing tourist type exhibition on certain nights at a place near the Hilton.

There are elephant camps up in the surrounding hills where you can see shows of how elephants work and are trained to play sports and such. Elephant riding is also available there.

If they are coming this week, the Hua Hin Jazz Festival this coming Friday and Saturday night is a very big annual music event that is worth an evening out.

Palau waterfall is about an hour up in the mountains in a local park. It is a series of waterfalls that flow from the top to the bottom of the mountains. The lower couple of sets can be hiked to pretty easily on a dirt trail that runs beside the stream but the higher (and I've heard most spectacular) sets of falls require a strenuous climb on a trail that would be only for the very fit.

If they have any particular hobbies or interests, mention them and maybe someone can come up with some more ideas.

and many more places to visit like

for shopping

large.jpg

Fishing Port Pier at the End of Cha-am looking South.

large.jpg

and the Fishing Port looking North

large.jpg

Puek Tian Beach north of Cha Am

large.jpg

How about Pran-buri south of Hua Hin "Pak Nam Pran - Parnburi "

large.jpg

large.jpg

Kaeng Karchan Dam - Phetchaburi

67557894.jpg

Which is very nice for "fresh water" folks like me.

Kan Win :o

P.S.

Wow, this was not my post but what a great response "hhfarang"

Hats off to you for the effort and information which I've also taken account of.

Time to look around and see what is in your area then :D "The Vulcan"

• 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Some options:

New park opened 20 mins away with crazy golf, fishing, giant chess, petanuque (<deleted>?), camping, BBQ, massage, bar etc

Golf courses and driving ranges

Khao Takiab mountain (feeding monkeys and view across HH bay)

Pala-U waterfall about 70 minutes away

Khao Wang Petchaburi (old palace and temples set high on a mountain with fantastic views, cable car etc for those who don't like the hike up)

Fishing Pier

Elephant trekking places near town

Markets in town are always interesting and good eating places

Boat trips to monkey Island, fishing and to Sam Roi Yod National Park

Maruekatayawan Palace halfway to Cha Am, old Teakwood Palace that you can walk round, next to beach

Khao Hin Lek Fai near town with various viewpoints over town and beach

Muay Thai boxing nights

Fishing, two fishing parks (lakes) nearby stocked with large fish

Bowling alley and cinema

Shooting (at the ranges round town)

Paintball, Go karting, ATVs

Sam Roi Yod National Park - lots to see there, 1 hour away.

• 4 weeks later...
Hi everyone,

Staying at the Hilton

Thanks

The largest bronze sculpture in the world (I've read) is a short distance from town at Wat Huey Mongkon (spelling?), which is a very famous Thai tourist attraction. The sculpture is of a famous Buddhist monk sitting in the lotus position and it is the size of a building.

A little closer in Petchaburi is a mountain with some very old palaces and wats on top that is a nice day trip if they would be interested in that sort of thing. There is an incline railway to take tourists from the bottom up and down the mountain.

Farther afield maybe two hours away is the famous "Bridge over the river Kwai" of World War II (and Hollywood ) fame with historical museums and war cemeteries.

Wat Khao Takiab is a famous wat on the coast just south of town with it's giant golden standing Buddha right on the beach.

Further south (about an hour) is a national park that has a famous wat built in a cave in the rocks near the ocean. It can be visited by hiking in or by boat.

Floating market 1 hour away, do you have a Helicopter????? So if I left Hua Hin center the clock tower it would take the same time to get to Palu Waterfalls (you quoted 1 hour) the same as it would for the Floating Market.

Would you like to make a bet???

Bochum, I said the Floating Market was a little over an hour away. If you go when you should, leaving Hua Hin no later than 5 a.m. there is good highway with no traffic until you get to the smaller roads near the market and it can be a very fast trip even though it is farther than driving up the windy small road to Palau.

But to answer your question...

Floating market 1 hour away, do you have a Helicopter?????

Of course, doesn't everyone? :o

Edited by hhfarang

Palu Waterfalls..........rubbish and dual pricing....STAY AWAY

Is there anywhere that doesn't have this form of discriminatory pricing ? I remember visiting the truly lovely Doi Inthanona nd for her 70 baht entrance and for me 700 !

The only exception that I've come across was the little visited and true treasure that is Muang Boran just outside of Bangkok.

http://thailandforvisitors.com/central/ban...city/index.html