Qatar Airlines

marshbags

I,ve decided to give them a try, Bankok / Manchester.

Any useful advice based on your experiences please ?

I,ve checked the web page and it looks pretty good to me.

Are there any scary episodes of getting pulled on the Doha leg that are posted on T.Visa., not that i,m a druggy or anything.

Like when i visit Singapore, i,m always wary of innocent third party stuff.

Especially important, the medications for my family to use lemsip and the like i carry, is it o.k. in the hold luggage ?

What are they like for baggage, is it keen and are the limits 30 kg hold, and 15kg,s for carry on still in place for business class ?

Some airlines are now changing allocations as we all know.

What Lounge facilities at relevant airports and snacks, when available.

Any other imput re Qatar from members / posters appreciated.

Thank you

marshbags :o

Edited by marshbags

If this is your first flight with them, and you're in Economy, you may well find them more 'keen' on weight-limits than you've been used-to. Expect them to weigh your carry-on ! And join their frequent-flyer club from the outset.

Doha is, like Abu Dhabi, fairly basic, but tolerable for a couple of hours. The Duty-Free whisky can be very temptingly priced !

Personally I rate them as 10% less-good, than Etihad, but still streets ahead of Thai on in-flight entertainment or ticket-price !

Its the best value business class ticket from BKK-Europe in my opinion. Especially with the dedicated first and business Terminal in Doha.

Their frequent flyer program is also one of the most generous in the industry. Food is great out of BKK and DOH - not fantastic out of MAN but still pretty good.

Just flown Qatar on the 7th to Frankfurt in business class.

The 30 Kilos is still in place. My handluggage plus laptop case were not weighed and check-in went very smoothly.

Lounge was Thai Air lounge, nice atmosphere and friendly staff.

At Doha no walkways so all transport by bus. When business be careful not to exit the bus at the first stop, because that's the old terminal for economy passengers only, stay on the bus till the dedicated business/first class terminal.

Lounge is very big, but fairly cold atmosphere.

Nothing was checked except documentation, and don't worry about medication if in your checked luggage, when in your carry-on make sure you have prescriptions from your doctor.

Don't know about lounge in Frankfurt yet but that's not important for you anyway.

On this first experience with Qatar I would say that seating comfort with Etihad is much better with more privacy (can be very important depending on who is sitting next to you). Food on Qatar was better, but overall now with the new lounge in Abu Dhabi, I prefer Etihad if the price is similar or slightly more expensive.

Hope to have helped.

cheers

onzestan

Its the best value business class ticket from BKK-Europe in my opinion. Especially with the dedicated first and business Terminal in Doha.

I've been flying with Qatar airways for the last three years all classes first, business and econ (working in Qatar) As earlier posters have pointed out it depends on what ticket you have. First and business class facilities are very good seperate departure/arrival building. Econ seating is okay better than most I've flown with previously and I would put it on par with Ethiad the food is okay.

Doha airport is a let down I'm eagly waiting the opening of the new one though the duty free is well priced for cigs and booze. (dont buy in Manchester wait until you arrive in Doha)

I've had no problems with luggage weight or been bumped off flights though this could be because I'm a god card holder.

Their frequent flyer program is also one of the most generous in the industry. Food is great out of BKK and DOH - not fantastic out of MAN but still pretty good.

The program has changed and is not so good unless you are flying with them on a frequent basis (very frequent) relegated to Silver next year.

Lastly I have experienced delays nothing too bad apart from a nightmare leaving Japan which ended up been over 30 hours!!!!!

Enjoy

I've been flying with Qatar airways for the last three years all classes first, business and econ (working in Qatar) As earlier posters have pointed out it depends on what ticket you have. First and business class facilities are very good seperate departure/arrival building. Econ seating is okay better than most I've flown with previously and I would put it on par with Ethiad the food is okay.

Doha airport is a let down I'm eagly waiting the opening of the new one though the duty free is well priced for cigs and booze. (dont buy in Manchester wait until you arrive in Doha)

I've had no problems with luggage weight or been bumped off flights though this could be because I'm a god card holder.

The program has changed and is not so good unless you are flying with them on a frequent basis (very frequent) relegated to Silver next year.

Lastly I have experienced delays nothing too bad apart from a nightmare leaving Japan which ended up been over 30 hours!!!!!

Enjoy

what is it exactly that has changed to the bad in their FF-program ?

as for luggage-allowance: it seems that ALL airlines, at least ALL from the middle-East (Qatar, Glf, Emirates....) are EXTREMELY stingy since a few months. Emirates the worst of them !!!! earning a record profit in 2007 and then charging passengers on intercontinental flights extra for just 2-3 Kilo more !!!! thats absolutely ridiculous..... greedyness doesnt know any limits, me thinks.....

Thank you for your replies and positive advice, which for a newbie is much appreciated and very helpful indeed.

All the advice

If i may highlight one important example that onzestan made, ( plus he,s only just returned so his observations are very recent. )

" At Doha no walkways so all transport by bus. When business be careful not to exit the bus at the first stop, because that's the old terminal for economy passengers only, stay on the bus till the dedicated business/first class terminal."

Don,t know if i may ask a couple more questions re the duty free dekka mentioned.

Regarding the duty free at Doha, how do the prices compare with Qatar onboard and Thailand duty frees.

I usually buy B+ Hedges ( 13 packs ) for my mates at Thailand D.F. as compared to my previous mid destination Skipol, they were considerably cheaper there.

They also gave me a gift for buying more.

I also buy perfume / eud de tiolette, but found those expensive at Thai D.F. and cheaper in reverse at Skipol before going onward.

I always used Eva Elite or China airlines before by the way.

Stopped buying liquids of a sociable nature a couple of years ago so this is not important.

Thanks again everyone for your time and courteous responses.

Edited by marshbags

I have just booked flights with Qatar for September- BKK to Gatwick & return from Heathrow to BKK.

Price 37,300 Baht all in.

I was also offered Etihad and Sri Lanka which was the cheapest but seemed too much waiting time at Colombo.

Going into Gatwick as original flight times for Heathrow had myself landing 10pm, not much use for onward travel into East Anglia, where I come from.

On the itinerary I noticed weight limit of 20kgs, ok for going to UK but I was intending to bring a few items back which you cannot get up country - a suitcase of Bristo gravy granules/ a nice bottle of Glenmorangie perhaps.

Travel agent I used was JP travel in Nana -Bangkok, nice lady called Mae, fluent in English & French.

Tel 02-252-9644, 02-254-9989.

Have not been home for 2 years, looking forward to it!

Edited by phutoie2

I have just booked flights with Qatar for September- BKK to Gatwick & return from Heathrow to BKK.

Price 37,300 Baht all in.

I was also offered Etihad and Sri Lanka which was the cheapest but seemed too much waiting time at Colombo.

Going into Gatwick as original flight times for Heathrow had myself landing 10pm, not much use for onward travel into East Anglia, where I come from.

On the itinerary I noticed weight limit of 20kgs, ok for going to UK but I was intending to bring a few items back which you cannot get up country - a suitcase of Bristo gravy granules/ a nice bottle of Glenmorangie perhaps.

Travel agent I used was JP travel in Nana -Bangkok, nice lady called Mae, fluent in English & French.

Tel 02-252-9644, 02-254-9989.

Have not been home for 2 years, looking forward to it!

Have a safe journey and enjoy, P.2

Be prepared for a few changes, some not so pleasant, even after a year things are a bit of a shock on how quickly this happens in my neck of the woods.

" At Doha no walkways so all transport by bus. When business be careful not to exit the bus at the first stop, because that's the old terminal for economy passengers only, stay on the bus till the dedicated business/first class terminal." They do tell you this when you board the shuttle bus from the plane to the terminal.

Regarding the duty free at Doha, how do the prices compare with Qatar onboard and Thailand duty frees. Price difference is marginal, as mentioned cigs are very cheap in the terminal duty free.

I usually buy B+ Hedges ( 13 packs ) for my mates at Thailand D.F. as compared to my previous mid destination Skipol, they were considerably cheaper there.

They also gave me a gift for buying more. Normally only when there is a special offer cuddly toy?

I also buy perfume / eud de tiolette, but found those expensive at Thai D.F. and cheaper in reverse at Skipol before going onward. Same on plane or duty free though not the cheapest

" At Doha no walkways so all transport by bus. When business be careful not to exit the bus at the first stop, because that's the old terminal for economy passengers only, stay on the bus till the dedicated business/first class terminal." They do tell you this when you board the shuttle bus from the plane to the terminal.

Regarding the duty free at Doha, how do the prices compare with Qatar onboard and Thailand duty frees. Price difference is marginal, as mentioned cigs are very cheap in the terminal duty free.

They also gave me a gift for buying more. Normally only when there is a special offer cuddly toy?

I also buy perfume / eud de tiolette, but found those expensive at Thai D.F. and cheaper in reverse at Skipol before going onward. Same on plane or duty free though not the cheapest

Well maybe they did when you boarded the buss. In my case they didn't but I knew from an earlier review on skytracks, hence my warning.

cheers

onzestan

I would urge caution if you intend to purchase 13 packs of cigarettes in Doha, as it 12 packs over your allowance in Thailand. Whilst I have had no experience myself, I understand that passengers with that many packets of cigs have received massive fines and had the cigs confiscated in Bangkok. I also understand that Thai customs officers are well aware that cigs are considerably cheaper in Middle Eastern airports so will be on the look out for them, especially as you will not have the chance to secrete them in your checked bags.

I have flown with Qatar a couple of times and have always found it to be a good experience; the flight crew were always pleasant and efficient, as was the food and entertainment. Now I am retired, which means I have to pay for my own flights, I sit up the back and it is fine, even when I sat next to a young woman who was suffering from travel sickness on the entire leg from Gatwick to Doha.

I flew from Gatwick last year and my checked luggage was well over, and I mean 20kg over, I smiled sweetly and grovelled a tad and it was accepted without charge, the very nice check in lady even let me go and buy another bag so I could reduce the weight of my case. Not sure if I would get away with now, I think they are far stricter since the increases in fuel costs.

I am going to the UK next week but couldn't get a reasonably priced flight with Qatar as all the cheap seats had been snapped in a promotion that I found out about too late, so I am flying with Gulf.

A few years ago, after boarding my flight in Doha I realised that I had left my glasses in the Business lounge, I informed a member of the flight crew, and the glasses were delivered to me in London the next day, was very impressed.

I would urge caution if you intend to purchase 13 packs of cigarettes in Doha, as it 12 packs over your allowance in Thailand. Whilst I have had no experience myself, I understand that passengers with that many packets of cigs have received massive fines and had the cigs confiscated in Bangkok. I also understand that Thai customs officers are well aware that cigs are considerably cheaper in Middle Eastern airports so will be on the look out for them, especially as you will not have the chance to secrete them in your checked bags.

Apologies for confusing you Governor.

The B+ H where for the U.K. end, not Thailand.

Before i travelled via my local airport who do not have a general custom clearance area and it,s not manned, and normally you just walk out unchallenged.

I would have pleaded ignorance had i been stopped me thinking the less than 3,200 allowance for personal use was applicable.

On returning, i only bring perfume / eud de toilette in with me.

Thanks for your imput regarding Qatar, have a safe journey and perhaps post your observations re Gulf when you return.

P.S.

Is the photo of the Hull Prison entrance by the way, as it looks familiar and goes well with your title.

I used to go passed on my way to the consulate, never been a resident, you will be relieved to know.

I just flew Qatar washington DC to Bangkok the 4th of this month.

The flight was full but the sector dc to Qatar was ok as it was a large plane, the second sector sucked>>

good food and plenty of moviees on the flight and at $645 one way a great deal!!

Edited by phuketrichard

Is the photo of the Hull Prison entrance by the way, as it looks familiar and goes well with your title.

No, it's actually The (Wormwood) Scrubs, though I think it looks much the same as Hull.

Obviously well travelled gents :o:D

tried them one time and there was a problem with one Arab customer which was handled from a (I guess british) stewardess very very perfect.

(that guy meant that he does not follow orders from female, and she showed him pretty clear who's the man here and it was not him....)

else a perfect flight

No, it's actually The (Wormwood) Scrubs, though I think it looks much the same as Hull.
Obviously well travelled gents :o:D

hahaha :D

Someone obviously fell out of the wrong side of bed this morning ha ha :D

Try standing out in the sun at Doha for an hour waiting for a transfer to a hotel they supply and no reps around to assist as no bus has turned up.

Or the bus transfer between DMM and RUH which turns out to be a mini van into which the pile the luggage and passengers. So you complain and they cram a family of four plus your self into a taxi for the 400k trip.

Or may be ask why they always run out of your preferred meal and you end up with a curry meal.

Or why the flight crew stand in the galley talking all through a night flight.

Or despite phone calls and e-mails even the CEO, who thinks he cares for passengers, won't answer your complaint.

Maybe read a few maintenance forums on how they treat the engineers and pilots. Poorly.

Nice aircraft and image but totaly rotten undereneath.

I will never fly them again, Gave them the benifit of the doubt and got stung.

Flew them last week. Return BKK-Paris-BKK for 25,000 Bht something, taxes included. Bought my ticket in April during a sale held at the Central World. No complaints.

To Toadstool

I heard that that there are indeed problems with their on the ground customer service as well. Serious problems I heard with rude Qatar Airways personnel in Tunis and lots of other stories... so you are probably right. The reason I flew them to be honest with you is because they were the cheapest.

Edited by nohave