Hdr Image - First Attempt

The Vulcan

Inspired by "Nordicman" as his superb HDR images I've produced my first one.

It was a bit like being in the darkroom again!

Anyway, your comments/criticisms are sought, but please be gentle; it is a first attempt! :o

Tech details - Canon EOS5D - 17-40@17 - iso50 - handheld- 3 merged images at +/- 1 stop - Photomatix HDR - Tone Mapping - selenium/silver treatment - curves in CS2

Cha Am National Park overlooking Hua Hin

Very eerie but nice!

Why the ISO 50? :o

Sharper, less noise, more contrast

I heard with 5D ISO50 is provided more as ND filter (e.g. when you have to use extremely slow shutter speed in daylight condition), it's actually noisier than ISO100 (therefore you can only set ISO 50 with custom function).

Very eerie but nice!

Why the ISO 50? :o

Sharper, less noise, more contrast

I heard with 5D ISO50 is provided more as ND filter (e.g. when you have to use extremely slow shutter speed in daylight condition), it's actually noisier than ISO100 (therefore you can only set ISO 50 with custom function).

I also read that. However, and I may be wrong, ISO 50 does seem to be sharper and indeed less noisy than ISO100. My own (non-scientific) tests lean this way.

I tend to use ISO 50 when I'm shooting in monochromatic mode (80% of the time) and use a red filter dial in in collusion with it. This combination, to my eyes, seems sharper and gives me the tones I prefer.

As it is, ISO 50 - 400 is pretty "grain" free anyway.

24 hours later I hate it!

I've downloaded Photomatix and I'll keep it around but frankly I need a LOT more work and understanding of it before I can see any real use.

The Blend mode looks ok though I must say - nowhere near as dramatic and a lot less "noisier"

Having said that, I've seen some pretty neat "conversations" so I guess it's down to another learning curve!

Ain't sure I've got enough years left for all this stuff :o

As it is, ISO 50 - 400 is pretty "grain" free anyway.

From what I remember reading ISO50 on 5D is only slightly noisier than ISO100 or 200 anyway.

Just finished a very controlled test and I can state without fear that ISO50 is SHARPER AND LESS NOISY than ISO 100, which in turn is sharper and less noisy than ISO 200. In both cases the difference is significant. Further, and I really can't explain why, but under the same controlled conditions the introduction of the various filters in monochrome FURTHER increased sharpness.

Conclusion; ISO 50, shot in monochrome and used with filtration, is the sharpest and least noisy of all potential settings.

The trade in is it is also more contrasty and inclined to blow the highlights/block the shadows. Hence a lot more care is needed in metering.

ISO 100 gave what I consider to be a smoother tonal range though and I consider that all in all this is actually a better selection.

Tech details; board mounted standard test chart - EOS5D - 100mm macro - studio lights - tripod - mirror up - remote release - 1/250th@f11 - no contrast or sharpening set in camera. Raw files.