Impossible To Open A Thai Bank Accont Now Without Wp

I went to every bank yesterday not even in Bangkok I live in Samut Prakan. I tried Siam City Bank, Siam Commercial Bank, Bangkok Bank, Krung Thai, Kaisikorn, Aduthaya (excuse spelling) every one of them said every bank in Thailand has recieced new legal policies from the Bank of Thailand (whoever they are) saying under NO circimstances can a foreigner open up any type of account with just passport. They did however say if you can show either a retirement visa or student documentation they will open a savings account. I'm 28 so the retirement option is a way off and no i'm not planning on going back to school. So for the average tourist or guy here for long term on another visa you CANNOT get a bank account anymore. I'm married to a Thai and it doesn't make a blind bit of difference.

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

This should probably be in the banking forum, but since you're married to a Thai, you could open a joint account with both of your names on the account probably no problem. Your spouse would have to go with you to open it, however, and of course if you want the money to be just yours, that's not the best solution.

That's interesting. I can't say I know of a farang up here in Udon who does not have a bank account and they are here on all sorts of visas.

I'm not sure what the situation is now but I had to have a Work Permit (and did) to get Internet Banking with Kasikorn. That was about some 7 years ago when it was first introduced.

Keep trying. These policies are so subjective. Every branch can say something different.

But remember you're unlikely to receive interest.

Well next to none anyway. I get about 1%pa paid June and Dec. with Kasikorn.

They did however say if you can show either a retirement visa or student documentation they will open a savings account.

If this new policy from the Bank of Thailand is fact someone ought to tell them that before you can get a retirement visa you need 800k deposited in a Thai bank account for three months minimum.

Communication failure between right and left hand possibly?

They did however say if you can show either a retirement visa or student documentation they will open a savings account.

If this new policy from the Bank of Thailand is fact someone ought to tell them that before you can get a retirement visa you need 800k deposited in a Thai bank account for three months minimum.

Communication failure between right and left hand possibly?

You already have o/a visa so they will open you a bank account no problem the 800k only as to be in the account 3 months before extension.

The Bank of Thailand is very transparent and has a list of all its announcements and regulations on its website (in English too). There appears to be no mention of any "new" regulation as the OP was told.

This excuse does come up from time to time and it would be interesting to get a copy of whatever the banks are being told - if indeed they are being told anything at all. However I am sure some tightening of the regulations will happen sooner or later. Just try opening a bank account in the UK without having a mountain of supporting documentation.

The procedure directly from Bangkok Bank website (today):

How to open a Resident Baht Account

Foreign individual customers can open a resident Baht account with any of Bangkok Bank branches across Thailand. You need to bring along your passport together with relevant documents as follows:

If you are working in Thailand, you need to bring a work permit.

If you are living in Thailand, you need to bring a residence permit or a Certificate of Residence.

If you are a tourist or a student, you need to bring a letter of recommendation as follows:

A letter of recommendation from a person acceptable to Bangkok Bank such as a Bangkok Bank staff, a respected customer of Bangkok Bank, a respected university teacher, a respected company director or senior executive, prepared as Bangkok Bank's letter of recommendation form, as well as the person's a certified true copy of identification document e.g. ID card or government official ID card; or

A letter of recommendation from a reputable organization located in Thailand such as an embassy or an international organization; or

A letter of recommendation from your bank abroad, acceptable to Bangkok Bank, sent to Bangkok Bank via SWIFT

Click here to download a letter of recommendation form

Same old story, all branches are different. I helped a friend open one about 10 days ago in Kasikorn branch at the royal garden in Pattaya. No WP, just a passport, they copied the face page, weren't even bothered with the visa. Opened it with 500 Bt plus 400 (i think) for the ATM card.

Why do people keep saying foreigners can't receive interest in Thailand? It's utter nonsense but it seems to be one of those cliches which, if repeated enough, people believe to be true.

Foreigners are as entitled to receive exactly the same interest as any other bank account, term deposit or any other investment vehicle owner.

Saying otherwise ad nauseum does NOT make it true.

Probably because they have a non-resident account which pays no interest

Savings Deposit Interest Rate (%) / Year

Current Deposit 0.00

Savings deposit for :

- Retail Customer

Savings deposit for :

- Non Resident - Individual

The rules of opening an account at Bangkok Bank say it all. :D

:D I spotted this at a bank several weeks ago. "Non Resident - Individual 0.00%" I get very little interest on my accounts. Guess I am considered Resident by the right folks. :D

Some of my commercial bank accounts require I update my passport/visa and work permit once a year for their records.

:o Personally, I do lots of banking at Bangkok Bank Klongtan and they don't make a fuss about any transactions or banking and people greet me like high roller -been doing business there since 2003. :D I go to Siam Commercial Bank around the corner from my house that I have been doing business with since 1991 and they shake me down each time. They let my kids cut in line and put the old man thru the mill. Guess because they have more money than I do. :D:D

B)

I deposited IRS refund checks from the US Treasury for a month, and got 9 baht interest. They do pay interest, and it was just a standard Kasinkorn savings account, passbook, and all I had was my passport and non-immigrant O visa. However, that was over a month ago.

My wife and I have been retired in Thailand for 14 years (both of us are foreigners) and I have had a Bangkok Bank account all of that time, and with internet banking. All this time I have had a savings account only in my name, but because of the situation last year when they decided (then undecided) to do away with the "dependent" classification for retirees, I opened up an account for my wife at Bangkok Bank a few months ago. They would NOT give her internet banking (said this was no longer available for new foreigner accounts) and they wanted a Thai to "guarantee" for my wife. When I protested strongly that why couldn't I as a 14 year customer "guarantee" my own wife, they finally relented and gave her an account. But no internet banking. Rules constantly change it seems.

Rubbish - here are the guidlines again! - for Bangkok Bank - Bangkok

On my return trip to Bangkok I did finally manage to successfully open a Bangkok Bank passbook savings account on a tourist visa at Bangkok Bank's head office near Soi 3 Silom Road. As promised here are the steps necessary to do this. (Note I can save you some time if you are a British Passport holder).

You will need the following:

1) Time! - Assign two half days to the task.

2) Proof of address – I used my blue book and property (condominium) registration documents.

3) A letter from your embassy a.) Certifying your passport, b.)Provide proof of address in Thailand, and c.) no record to your detriment has been logged with the embassy. A link to an example of the letter for British passport holders provided by Bangkok Bank is here: (but none the less gives a general overview of what is required).

LINK to example letter is at end of post...

4) Money (or credit/debit card) to pay the fee for the required letter. This was 2,448 THB (per letter) at the British Embassy

For a British passport Holder:

Step 1 - Simply download the sample letter print it out and take it to the British Embassy (whose address is shown on the sample letter) along with the other documentation (take everything!). Here is a link for the opening times:

http://www.britishembassy.gov.uk/servlet/F...d=1065714376732

Step 2 – Ask for the passport (and notarisation) section. You need to go up the stairs on the left just after the entrance door that you are shown to.

Step 3- Take a queuing ticket by pressing the top button – take your seat and wait to be called. This could be 1-2 hours.

Step 4 – Present the sample letter, documentation etc and explain what you need. You will be asked to return the next day to pick up the letter.

Step 5 – Return to the same department the next MORNING but this time press the second button on the queuing system as there is a dedicated pick up counter operating in the mornings only. This is a quicker process (if you get it right).

Process continued below….

Non British Passport holder

To get a sample letter from Bangkok Bank for your particular embassy, go through the revolving doors and walk straight ahead. You will come to a lectern in front of a dividing wall. To the left is a ticket queuing machine. Select the green savings button for opening a savings account with an English speaker. Proceed on and wait for your ticket to be called (note the screen is separate and to the right at the back of the room). Once you have your example letter you can go to your embassy. BTW It is very possible someone at Bangkok Bank may simply just offer a helping hand if you look unsure.

Generic steps at Bangkok Bank

1) Return/Go to Bangkok Bank head office fully armed with all documentation, 500 THB opening credit deposit and 600 THB for an international cash point card and separate debit card.

2) At Bangkok Bank's head office go through the revolving doors and walk straight ahead. You will come to a lectern in front of a dividing wall. To the left is a ticket queuing machine. Select the green savings button for opening a savings account with an English speaker. Proceed on and wait for your ticket to be called (note the screen is separate and to the right at the back of the room). After that just be polite and courteous and you will get a passbook cash and debit card BUT sadly no internet banking. This is pretty much the only account you can open on a tourist visa but it does help when it comes to paying local utility bills by direct debit.

NOTES:

I did ask Hemaraj a .SETI listed company to see if they could help. Much to their embarrassment they could not assist in making the process any simpler. They kindly provided a letter stating I was a good client and could the bank assist, but how much this helped I don't know.

YOU MUST have the letter from your embassy FULL STOP.

IRRITATINGLY Bangkok Bank will keep the original, a copy is not enough. I did not know this at the time but consider the embassy letter to be a useful document in its own right. Just a thought but it may be prudent to ask for several copies to be produced by your Embassy as this may save time in the future.

Sorry I can't help with other banks or other Bangkok Bank account branches.

PKRV.

post-16669-1213178145_thumb.png

Edited by pkrv

Or as previously posted, just roll up to K Bank with your passport. End of story, nice and easy.

Similarly, just strolled into Siam Commercial Bank on Beach Road in Pattaya with a copy of my passport and 5,000 Baht.

Oh ! - and most importantly, I took my G/F with me. Without her being there I doubt itwould have happened.

About nine months ago, I opened a new savings account with BKK Bank in Bangkok, including Internet banking and their B1st debit card, with only my passport and a business visa.

I did the same with Siam Commercial at the same time. But some of their branches kicked up a fuss, so I had to call their Call Centre to confirm their policy, which at least at the time was, they'd open a new account for anyone with a business visa, even if one didn't have a work permit.

The local SCB Branch that ultimately opened the account coughed and sputtered when I arrived. But I asked to talk to the manager, and explained the Call Centre's guidance. He ended up relenting, but wanted to see my apartment rental contract as proof of residency... I hadn't brought that with me that day, since no one had indicated I'd need it... So I asked if I could bring it back later, and they agreed and opened the account... also including Internet backing and their debit card....

Again, at least at the time, my branch of BKK Bank didn't care a whit about any proof of residency or anything about Embassy letters. But as often is the case in Thailand, your mileage may vary. What's good today is gone tomorrow and the reverse.

I wouldn't get too hung up about the supposed rules, however... Even when you know what they are at a given point in time, that doesn't mean each and every branch is going to be following them in the same way. They all seem to operate on their own tracks, based on the preferences or whims of those locally in charge.

As already stated above, Kasikorn is generally reputed to be the easiest to deal with...and BKK Bank usually has been very accommodating as well, particularly at their branches in farang populated areas. If I was starting anew, I'd just go in and ask before going document crazy. You may find (or not) it's a lot easier to accomplish that the policy would suggest. If not, you're no worse for wear....

I observed another pattern, from 2003 to 2007, at Bank of Ayuttayha branches. First, I opened my first account (as a respected ajarn, with my boss introducing me to the manager of the branch), with no paperwork besides my passport with a B visa (no work permit). From then on, I was able to open three more accounts in two more provinces, easy-peasy. 2008 may be different.

I had a similar experience... For some reason, once you get past the first account opening, the others seem to go much easier... If Bank B realizes/knows that Bank A has already opened the door to you, then it seems easier for the folks at Bank B to go along...

So if I was starting anew, once I'd get the first account in hand, I'd be sure to bring that passbook and bank card along with me for any other account opening requests.... And if the folks there are giving you a hard time, just whip out the other bank's materials and lay them down on the counter for all to see... It really can help.

Have you ever tried opening an account in the UK when you are no longer living there. Let me tell you it is easier in Thailand.

I opened one in Thailand 2 weeks ago with Bangkok bank. All I needed was my Non Immigrant "O" VISA.

I went back to England having not lived there for 14 years and can not open an account as I am not on the electrol role and do not have a permanent address.

So I think it is England who do not want my money. Not Thailand

I went to the bank, they asked for the passport, copied it, asked for the pin, case finish....

I once need a new account book (is it called like this)in a branch far away....2 min no problem.

since then I can't get any new book......

anyhow I recommend the mother branch or a tourist place branch (Pattaya).

Smile silly and on everything you don't understand say Yes.....

I went to the bank, they asked for the passport, copied it, asked for the pin, case finish....

I once need a new account book (is it called like this)in a branch far away....2 min no problem.

since then I can't get any new book......

anyhow I recommend the mother branch or a tourist place branch (Pattaya).

Smile silly and on everything you don't understand say Yes.....

I supposed you have a retirement O visa. If this is not the case, please spell out what kind of visa you have, and which bank / branch you open your account with. Please do not mis-inform us Thaivisa readers.

The original poster only has tourist visa. In his case, it is almost impossible to open a banck account nowadays.

Kasikorn Bank was no problem on a non immigrant O just turn up with a largish bundle of cash to deposit they didnt say no.

You are talking about openning bank account with O visa. The original poster of this thread only has tourist visa.

case closed.