Home Security & Padlocks

Richb2004v2

There have been a couple of posts regarding break-ins and robberies here in Thailand. This issue has concerned me for some time now. Whilst in the house I feel safe enough, but when we go away and leave the house locked up I am not so confident. We have draw back security bars on all the windows and a grate on each door. The problem is that we lock the doors from outside using heavy duty padlocks. As far as I know these are very easy to get around with a bolt cutter which can be obtained easily. Am I right? I don’t like to mention this to my wife as I work away a lot.

What sort of security measures does everyone else have?

I don't think that a bolt cutter can cut the hardened u shaped part of a padlock. At one time our competitors used to put glue in our locks on a regular basis (until we got a security system) and the locksmith had to drill a hole in the side of the lock which took about 20 minutes or more. I'm sure they would have used a bolt cutter if they could have because either way ruined the lock and the bolt cutter would have been much faster.

First thing I did was put dead locks on both doors.

If a professional wants to get in then they will whatever precautions you take, but its always worth the effort in order to put off the chancers who are just passing by.

Mind you my two german shepherds put off most thais from even walking near the fence.

HL :o

Just make sure your place looks more secure and less tempting than the neighbor's. :o I have security grills, padlocks with hardened steel, locked from on the inside. Just last night a neighbour told my g/f he'd seen a stranger on a bike hanging around so we also locked the front door grill, too.

After a allot of breakins around my area I made the decision to upgrade security, as mentioned, if someone is really determined to breakin they always will, but I wanted to feel as secure as possible.

The interesting thing is the majority of breakins happened when the owners were in there homes and asleep, this worried us more as we have a young boy.

This is what Ive done and we feel 100% better, we put security bars all around the house, padlocks on all the doors and windows, and got a security alarm fitted to the house, which included magnetic window and door connections, plus sensors in the main rooms, the one area I was most concerned about was the roof, having a bungalow its so easy to get into the house via the roof, so we had a sensor fitted in there, we had keypads fitted to each bedroom so we can activate the alarm when we go to bed, we had automatic security lights fitted around the house, the final things was a dog, best security you can get, day or night we always get the heads up when someone come to the house.

Since we had the work done, 4 house in my estate have been broken into, we seem to be being left alone, plus we are sleeping sweetly at night. hope this helps.

monkeytunes wrote

This is what Ive done and we feel 100% better, we put security bars all around the house, padlocks on all the doors and windows, and got a security alarm fitted to the house, which included magnetic window and door connections, plus sensors in the main rooms, the one area I was most concerned about was the roof, having a bungalow its so easy to get into the house via the roof, so we had a sensor fitted in there, we had keypads fitted to each bedroom so we can activate the alarm when we go to bed, we had automatic security lights fitted around the house,

If you don't mind me asking how much did that lot set you back, even a ball park figure would do.

Best Regards

Mr Conrad

If you buy proper expensive locks, they will be difficult to cut. The kind that you can pick up at the local hardware store can be cut in seconds though.

I bought proper expensive locks from my local hardware store. :o

1st, throw some nice fresh {poisened} meat to the dogs

2nd, disconnect the electricity at the the pole on the road. this stops your alarm system unless you have UPS.

3rd, use a gennie powered 9inch disc cutter on the door locks/hinges or window bars,

4th, they are in your house in 2 or 3 mins. you there or not.

There is nothing substainsial that will withstand a carborundam disc, noisy yes, quick yes,..

As other posters have said, if they want to come in they will.

1st- I have never seen an alarm system that does not have a built in battery back up, which will keep the system running for 12 hours minimum.

2nd- Padlocks, even the hardened ones, can be cut with bolt cutters, the best thing you can do is to fit a cover over the padlock so they can't gain access to cut it, these are availible from locksmiths also they do sell padlocks that are harder to get through.

3rd- as said above in a lot of cases the easiest way into a place is through the roof, if puting in an alarm make sure it has a sensor in the roof.

I own a jewellery store in Australia, the trick as said above is just to make your place not worth the effort, most criminals are lazy they want the easy option that is why the Rob and don't work.

Also on a side note to disable a dog use spray ether, like contact cleaner or start ya bastard (an aussie brand) , dog comes to fence give it a spray hey presto dog goes to sleep.

Edited by rick75

It cost me around 30k to have fitted security frames put into a 2 storey house. (Tip; make sure the bars are round and not square-section, as these can be bent using a simple wrench). Make sure the worker fully welds the frames and not just "tack" or spot-welds the frames together. Make sure the screws are posi-drive only, or hammered over after fitting.

Buy expensive locks from hardware shops well outside your residential area, or have some one bring in from overseas.

Buy a dog or two.

Get a burglar alarm.

You've just issued a challenge to a reasonable thief.

With good security Bars deadbolts high fences -Electric fences......... It will detour only an honest person. Most of the larger bolt cutters will chew off a massive lock heavy duty metal grating (they just came out with a metal cutting tool that is like a compound crossbow- able to cut 4 times more mass with a fourth of the effort.) The roof is the easiest if everything is too difficult.

The padlocks in Thailand one hammer blow & they break. Even a hard blow to a U.S. Masterlock (probably made in China now)

will bust it open. A 357 round going through it won't break one but a hard down force straight down on the lock usually will kill it.

It is very common in the U.S. for a thief to make an imprint of a key in a very short amount of time (especially if they work as a locksmith or do auto body) & then enter the deadbolt with ease.

Thailand is way to easy for a copper thief to steal your electric line since (if they do each cable separately there is no chance of getting electrocuted as they do not have a straight to ground system like western countries.) Best would be 1 dog inside that is a barker & one attentive dog outside as well.

Glock has a great security system. No one beats the art of ching ching. When the hammer goes down, Unfortunately here it is more difficult to get a piece.

At least a ups backup hooked to your computer will let you know your power has been cut if your aware of noise, Hard to believe people can sleep through their house getting burgled. I am a light sleeper- when my dog starts going off I am on it. Along with security bars- deadbolt locks & a fence awareness is a key factor if you are home & someone tries to jack your doors or windows.That along with being observant of your neighbors habits---- the late night partiers with no Job(Thai as most of us do not work) helps. But bottom line locks gates & security systems can always be gotten around to a seasoned thief. Sad nothing is Failsafe! :o

Padlocks, even with hardened steel clasps, are easily removed because the Hasps on the doors are usually made of much weaker metal, put a crowbar through the Padlock and turn - the hasps will be twisted off at the weld 9 times out of 10 .

Patrick

monkeytunes wrote
This is what Ive done and we feel 100% better, we put security bars all around the house, padlocks on all the doors and windows, and got a security alarm fitted to the house, which included magnetic window and door connections, plus sensors in the main rooms, the one area I was most concerned about was the roof, having a bungalow its so easy to get into the house via the roof, so we had a sensor fitted in there, we had keypads fitted to each bedroom so we can activate the alarm when we go to bed, we had automatic security lights fitted around the house,

If you don't mind me asking how much did that lot set you back, even a ball park figure would do.

Best Regards

Mr Conrad

60K for the security alarm system.

15K for the security lights.

45K for the bars

and 4K for the dog.

Worth every baht to us, but as mentioned, if they want to really get in they will, so you need to decide if you think the cost is justified.

1st, throw some nice fresh {poisened} meat to the dogs

2nd, disconnect the electricity at the the pole on the road. this stops your alarm system unless you have UPS.

3rd, use a gennie powered 9inch disc cutter on the door locks/hinges or window bars,

4th, they are in your house in 2 or 3 mins. you there or not.

There is nothing substainsial that will withstand a carborundam disc, noisy yes, quick yes,..

As other posters have said, if they want to come in they will.

Yes your right and I did mention if they want to get in they will, but in my view it just makes it a little bit more difficult for any would be thiefs, plus hopefully we would hear them if they where making a noise. Oh there is a backup battery for the alarm we install , apart from that you propably right about everything you have mentioned.

Anybody ever heard or seen the "silent" Alarm, which drives any intruder almost insane, loses orientation, doesn't hear anything?

I believe I saw it on Discovery Channel, a flat membrane is mounted to the wall and hooked to an alarm/intruder system... even the test person was told where the key was placed, he couldn't manage to get to the spot....

Anybody?

Its always best to consider security a deterrent rather than a guarantee.

If someone really wants to get in they will.

Fortunately as previously stated , generally thieves are thieves because they are lazy.

Cheers

First thing I did was put dead locks on both doors.

If a professional wants to get in then they will whatever precautions you take, but its always worth the effort in order to put off the chancers who are just passing by.

Mind you my two german shepherds put off most thais from even walking near the fence.

HL :D

I had a beautiful big mix-breed dog. dam_n good watchdog but like most dogs he couldn't resist a food treat tossed over the fence. Food laced with poison. I came home to find a dead dog, a cut padlock, broken front door and a Sony Vaio laptop, Sony video camera, loose change, CDs, even 2 pairs of Levis gone. A dog is no guarantee. A determined thief will find a way...

I've since have added a little "electric security" one touch of the doorknob and you get some nasty volts runnning through you. I just hope I don't forget to disarm someday and shock myself. :o

...I've since have added a little "electric security" one touch of the doorknob and you get some nasty volts runnning through you. I just hope I don't forget to disarm someday and shock myself. :o

I wonder how long the jail term is for electrocuting a delivery man. :D

...I've since have added a little "electric security" one touch of the doorknob and you get some nasty volts runnning through you. I just hope I don't forget to disarm someday and shock myself. :o

I wonder how long the jail term is for electrocuting a delivery man. :D

Good point. You have to get through the locked outside gate first. That lock is not wired. A delivery man is not going to climb an 8 foot spiked gate, cut the lock on the outer screen door and try to force the doorknob open.... :DZAPPPPP!!!!

monkeytunes wrote

60K for the security alarm system.

15K for the security lights.

45K for the bars

and 4K for the dog.

Worth every baht to us, but as mentioned, if they want to really get in they will, so you need to decide if you think the cost is justified.

Thanks for the pricing information.

I work in the UK fire service and break padlocks on a regular basis to gain access to buildings, yards etc., so I know what little protection they provide.

Will be building a house soon so just wanted to know an approximate price.

Thanks again.

Best Regards

Mr Conrad

Best deterrent may be to just not have expensive items on display, let your neighbors see your a cheap Charlie they will be happy to gossip about your cheap house hold goods. If tradesmen/installers come to your house put anything of value out of sight (laptops, cameras, phones etc) as thieves usually look for small items they can carry themselves. As most neighborhood thieves are provided with inside info (usually from security guards or tradesmen/installers) they will leave your place alone. A maid is also a possible link to thieves, if you are happy with her treat her like family and pay her fairly she may be less likely to set you up if you show her kindness. Having your home made into a fortress just advertises your need to protect the many valuables inside. The sound of alarms may be Pavlovian making thieves drool at the thought of the tasty treats inside your house.

When you buy a new TV, laptop, etc., it's best to bring them home at night - don't make a display of hauling in a new Sony Bravia and throw your empty boxes that came with new TV, laptop, etc in a bin far from your house. A thief see an empy TV box in the bin and puts 2 & 2 together: new farang in the neighborhod, empty merchandise boxes in the bin ...

As someone said put a cover over the lock. Like this A square metal box that fits over the hasp then put the lock on. You, access the lock from below but theives find it very difficult if not impossible to cut or hit with a large hammer. Not something you can necessarily buy in Home Pro but could be made by any local metal worker.

If your property is walled or fenced in how about an electric fence ?

As a previous poster said.

Its always best to consider security a deterrent rather than a guarantee.
Edited by VocalNeal

Best deterrent may be to just not have expensive items on display, let your neighbors see your a cheap Charlie they will be happy to gossip about your cheap house hold goods.

best is sell your house/furniture, build and live in a shelter made from cardboard and put palm fronds as roofing. sleep on mats not mattresses, use drums for communication instead of internet and a mobile phone :o

which planet do you hail from? :D