If You're Listening To Music Now... Whats Playing? 3

Jockstar

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

inna hotel room with a cheap french wine box in Hanoi with days offa work...too much time on my hands...gotta down load music popular music...

an'...today we have:

sisters of mercy and joan of arc: leonard cohen;

I can't quit you babe and you shook me: led zep;

jimi: red house, purple haze and voodoo child;

emmylou harris an' gram parsons with love hurts;

emmylou with from boulder to birmingham;

canned heat: on the road again;

CCR with fortunate son, heard it thru the grapevine an' run thru the jungle;

heart of gold, neil young;

john sebastian, darling be home soon;

deacon blue with twist and shout...this one always gets me on my feet as it is a scottish reel disguised as popular music...I wanna dance with my thai MiL on our future terrace near the project site in central coastal Vietnam as a typhoon thunders towards us offa the south china sea...

• 2 weeks later...

today, being Sunday, I went down to the local supermarket here in Hanoi to buy stuff for the week; sandwich fixin's, bread, tea, coffee, etc, also a wine box and a case of Bia Ha Noi...the supermarket is not far away from where I live so I walk; then there is the local bia hoi place that's located en route...(a bia hoi place for those not familiar with VN is a outdoor beer parlor where a schooner glass of local draft beer is 6000 dong or about USD 0.35...popular meeting places for local folk, basic with concrete floors and plastic tables and chairs)

I had been drinkin' all day and took my Walkman, the place wasn't crowded so I sat down, ordered a beer and queued up:

- Elmore James, Dust my broom,

- Little Walter, My Babe,

- CCR, Fortunate son and Heard it thru the grapevine,

- Incredible string band, First girl I loved,

- Emmylou Harris, Boulder to Birmingham...

managed to get thru 3 beers...gave the cute serving girl a twenty (thousand dong) and walked on down the road...later to return to the serviced studio with the weekly purchases...

"my babe she don't stand no cheatin'...my babe"

anyone know the Caribbean 'Matilda' song ('she take all me money an' she run to Venezuela...')? here's a story;

in Managua in 1987 I ran into a couple of british backpackers (one of whom I was later to marry)and they had just been to Costa Rica and recorded a guy in a bar singing this song...they were chuffed as they thought that it was authentic local music...I said that I remembered it from the US top 40 in the early 60s...they were crestfallen...

I was thinkin' about my ex the other day and looked it up on the web see

Jimmy Soul was the same guy that did 'you got to make an ugly woman yer wife...'

Harry Belafonte also recorded the 'Matilda' song...

Edited by tutsiwarrior