On The Rocks

The Vulcan

Looks good.

Very high contrast yet no detail seems to be lost.

Looks to me like you've done something more than just using PL filter.

Any special effect applied?

No PL used - straight shot in monochrome mode with red filter dialed in.

Incident and reflective light meter readings and average applied.

Levels and curves in CS2

Shoot in monochrone with red filter and render it into color photo in RAW to JPEG conversion process??? :D

So monochrome "picture style" + red filter are the keys to extremely high contrast but high definition image like this?

You use a hand-held light meter? :o

Shoot in monochrone with red filter and render it into color photo in RAW to JPEG conversion process??? :D

So monochrome "picture style" + red filter are the keys to extremely high contrast but high definition image like this?

A RAW file automatically loads in Lightroom as colour. The use of a red filter is to enhance the skies and any rock/stone in the frame. Orange does the same but less dramatic. Just as we did in the B+W film days. There's NO EFFECT ON THE COLOUR.

I've been using my "old film" lenses a lot lately as I pointed out in a previous post (this lens is some 20 years old) and although nowhere near as sharp as their modern day counterparts they produce a colouring, tonal range and texture that appeals more to me. To me this shot is akin to what I used to get with Velvia. I made the barest of post processing adjustments to get this effect which I have always failed to do with modern "digital" lenses. I reduce my in camera contrast/sharpness settings to the minimum which seems to equalise the tonal range better. I'm then able to apply XDR (extra dynamic range) a lot easier without blowing the highlights which is a problem in digital.

You use a hand-held light meter? :o

On a high contrast scene I always double check especially when using wide angle lenses. I try to envisage what I'm after and meter accordingly. In this case the evaluative metering from the camera was 2/3rds more than I elected to use. A previous example was when I shot the skydivers and did not want constant silhouettes against a very bright skyline. My actions are to take an incident light reading from the whole scene, then a reflective metering from a gray card and split the difference.