Don't Make The Mistake I Made

MacauThai

i saw the advertisement for Thai Visa Laptop Insurance many times browsing this site and simply dismissed it. Although I had read the numerous reports of Laptop theft on the rise, I thought it could never happen to me. Well of that changed last night when my laptop was stolen. i rushed quickly to change all of my passwords and i am now hoping that i remembered them all. i do not know when i will be able to afford another laptop. Don't make the mistake I made, rush to get Thai Visa Laptop Insurance immediately or you will be just as big a fool as I am.

http://insurance.thaivisa.com/our-products...-insurance.html

Edited by MacauThai

i saw the advertisement for Thai Visa Laptop Insurance many times browsing this site and simply dismissed it. Although I had read the numerous reports of Laptop theft on the rise, I thought it could never happen to me. Well of that changed last night when my laptop was stolen. i rushed quickly to change all of my passwords and i am now hoping that i remembered them all. i do not know when i will be able to afford another laptop. Don't make the mistake I made, rush to get Thai Visa Laptop Insurance immediately or you will be just as big a fool as I am.

I told my normal house contents insurance firm that i had a lap top, they asked for the serial number and that was that, it's insured - no extra cost. :o

And I thought we could not advertise on this forum!!! One rule for us one rule for you?

Rules? There's no rules in a knife fight! Aside from no wise-cracking. Why do you think the OP is advertising for TV? If I had lost my laptop, it'd be like losing my best friend. Plus all my music. I guess I wouldn't have run to warn everyone and tell them to buy TV insurance. Especially if I hadn't before it got stolen. It'd only make me feel worse. Plus, I wouldn't have a 'puter. TV is giving me a headache at the moment, and the 4th quarter of the basketball game is starting. Really sorry to hear about your tragedy.

And I thought we could not advertise on this forum!!! One rule for us one rule for you?

As stated in the forum rules about sponsors promoting themselves, this case was a member promoting the benefits of a service from a sponsor which is also allowed.

8) All advice voluntarily given by any member in any of the fora which constitute thaivisa.com is provided free of charge, and it is not permitted to either solicit for, or accept, donations, gifts etc. for providing such advice to visitors and members. Likewise, it is not permitted to either steer, or promote, or solicit people to go to locations or businesses in which it is necessary to pay for services or assistance with the exception of thaivisa.com sponsors, who may reasonably promote themselves.

Several other off topic comments have been removed from this thread.

Does that also cover for when it is in your car or you are travelling with it?
...only if it is plugged into the 12 volt power socket at the time, in which case the car might be considered an accessory? :o

how do we know this is really you?

The test of this particular pudding (and perhaps the application of rule 8)will come when members post recommendations to use services from providers who are in direct competition with TV sponsors.

Time will tell on that one.

'Dont make the mistake i made - act now' Wow i have been so dumb! Numerous reports - eh!

You must be devastated - espeially since you cant afford another laptop at 12000 baht.

PS i am sure there are many companys that will insure much cheaper than whats quote at the above link - best shop around!!!!!!!!!!!!

Actually its a good idea, I clicked on the link but sadly it seems that the best option they have is just for 50,000 baht :o my laptop is one of thouse 21 inch deals from HP, its over 100K I wonder if I can get insured for 100K or more???hmmm

I'm about to renew my home insurance policy, (including contents), and really wonder whether it's worth it. I've insured for over 30 years, never claimed, never needed to. The obvious fear is fire or water damage, (I live in a condo), and I suppose it's like asking "how long is a piece of string", but I'm seriously wondering whether it's all a big con. Any views?

If I lost my laptop it would be an equivalent of losing a 800$ brick.

All data is backed up into the "cloud", the whole PC can be reproduced easily onto any other PC with a partition or on a new PC.

The laptop remembers no passwords and before that, the laptop itself has a hardware password that is needed before it goes into BIOS.

DELL implemented it in compliance with ISMS.

To me, it would be replacement laptop money loss, to the thief it's a brick that has a fold-out non-working flat screen. Even if HDD is taken out it's encrypted and possibly only, if them, CIA or the likes could try something with it.

• 2 months later...

All data is backed up into the "cloud", the whole PC can be reproduced easily onto any other PC with a partition or on a new PC.

The laptop remembers no passwords and before that, the laptop itself has a hardware password that is needed before it goes into BIOS.

To me, it would be replacement laptop money loss, to the thief it's a brick that has a fold-out non-working flat screen. Even if HDD is taken out it's encrypted and possibly only, if them, CIA or the likes could try something with it.

Some laptop brands have a build in detection system. They can track your stolen laptop the moment he go's on the net. Toshiba have it and I guess there must be other brands also.

Aside from laptop insurance, it's super worth it to buy a laptop lock. Even if just those cheap 120 baht ones in Pantip with a lock and key.

It will NOT stop a thief, but it sure will delay him; and probably make him choose another laptop in the room.

It also protects against the most common form of laptop theft (about 95% of the time), which is to just walk by and swoop it up in 1 second if you aren't right beside it.

I have a Dell laptop, care to give some information or a link explaining this

Which software are you using, truecrypt ?

You kind of need to appear financially stable before you sell insurance. Would work much better if you co-branded with one of the "real" insurance companies.... as in, get rid of the TV part, and just keep the AXA, AIG, Allianz, etc. etc. part.

:o

Edited by Heng