Meals On Wheels Is An Excellent Service

Ajarn

I tried this new delivery service tonight and thought it was great!

First their website Meals on Wheels has a Bunch of good restaurants in categories. When I called a farang answered, and acted very friendly, which surprised me, took my order (from Royal India), and they delivered on time and the food was hot and delicious :o

The website says, '70 baht for the 1st restaurant, 40 baht for other restaurants'

I think it means 70 baht each time at a minimum, which based on tonights service, is no problem for me

Edited by Ajarn

The website says, '70 baht for the 1st restaurant, 40 baht for other restaurants'

I think it means 70 baht each time at a minimum, which based on tonights service, is no problem for me

Sound good, wonder that I live in Land & House Maejo & how can I have fresh Dim Sum (Yangzi Jaing) for my lunch, need to check it out :o

Hi everyone,

I'd just like to introduce myself as one of the people behind Meals On Wheels 4U. I hope a few of you have managed to have a look at our site (if not there's a link on the subforum)

We have teamed up with some of Chiang Mai's most popular restaurants to deliver their food directly to you.

Any comments or suggestions are most welcome.

Many thanks

Hi everyone,

I'd just like to introduce myself as one of the people behind Meals On Wheels 4U. I hope a few of you have managed to have a look at our site (if not there's a link on the subforum)

We have teamed up with some of Chiang Mai's most popular restaurants to deliver their food directly to you.

Any comments or suggestions are most welcome.

Many thanks

Welcome on board, we wish you all the best with your venture.

Yep, had a look already. Sounds great to me. But how far out of CM do you deliver? I'm along the outer ringroad, approx 8 km's from down town.

Nienke

Hi Nieke,

I think that should fall into a delivery area. If you PM me roughly where I'll check it out. To be honest there is no hard and fast rule that it has to be 10 KM's exactly, it all depends on the time of day and how busy we are. We will try and accommodate even up to 15 KM's or wherever possible providing we have the drivers who are not on other deliveries.

This thread originally had some nice comments by members including one that actually made me rush to order from one of the restaurants by Ajarn who was the OP. It might be a good idea to include them!

Ulysses,

I agree positive comments should be included in the forum as well as negative

If I was borderline minimum on my initial order, I'd probably get an extra dish so as to have some leftovers.

Any idea what their delivery range is?

From their main page: "We can deliver up to 10 KM's from the Moat"

Doh! Don't know how I missed that. I thought I looked at every main page on their site but I must have missed the home page. :o

I tried this new delivery service tonight and thought it was great!

First their website Meals on Wheels has a Bunch of good restaurants in categories. When I called a farang answered, and acted very friendly, which surprised me, took my order (from Royal India), and they delivered on time and the food was hot and delicious :o

Hi Ajarn,

Glad to hear you enjoyed the meal and we kept up to the standard one appreciates.

To answer a few questions on this topic, we charge 70 Baht for the first restaurant one orders from and if they choose to order from 2 or 3 restaurants at the same time we will charge an extra 40 Baht for each restauarant we need to pick up and deliver from (there is no minimum restaurant order charge as we only deliver)

To reply to Bluejay we say 10KM's radius but that is not a hard and fast rule provided that we have available drivers we can try to stretch out the old few KM's when possible and I hope the Dim Sum is as fresh as we can deliver but one needs to appriciate it can take 30-40 minutes to get to certain parts of Chiang Mai however we have insulated boxes where the food is kept to keep it as fresh and hot as possible.

Firstly, congratulations on doing this in such a clever way. Nice website - but the colours (eg. light orange test on soft orange background) make it a little difficult to read the text. I need more contrast these days!!!

It is very smart to keep it so cheap. If you can stay busy, then you have a little goldmine, I believe.

Question. Where are the menus? - scans of each restaurant's menu on the website. (separate pop-up window - won't affect your main page)

Do you have a maximum order size? I mean can I order food for a hundred people from one restaurant and pay only 70bt? (Not that I am planning that!)

Another idea: I don't know where you are based, but if you have local Thai street-food vendors next door, you might include them on your menu - maybe Kao Man Gai, or noodle soups, or Issan food. I for one would pay 70 baht to have someone bring 'stall food' to me... It is cheap food, but all the same to you - same delivery charge. IF there is a market near you...

Good luck!

Sound good, wonder that I live in Land & House Maejo & how can I have fresh Dim Sum (Yangzi Jaing) for my lunch, need to check it out :o

Is this good dim sum? Where are they please?!

Great idea; am sure it will be a success.

Some restaurants do already deliver but I guess they are happy for you to take care of it. It looks convenient for the customer, too, as sometimes ordering by phone can be torturous, esp. when it comes to giving directions. With your system we only need give directions once.

Agree that more everyday Thai food would be good.

I didn't see the delivery charges stated on the website. May have missed them but if not, why not state them clearly ?

What will the MiniMart sell ? Groceries and fresh produce would be great. If you can get the basic inventory from the big supermarkets online we'd all be absolutely delighted, I am certain !!

Some restaurants do already deliver but I guess they are happy for you to take care of it. It looks convenient for the customer, too, as sometimes ordering by phone can be torturous, esp. when it comes to giving directions. With your system we only need give directions once.

I didn't see the delivery charges stated on the website. May have missed them but if not, why not state them clearly ?

What will the MiniMart sell ? Groceries and fresh produce would be great. If you can get the basic inventory from the big supermarkets online we'd all be absolutely delighted, I am certain !!

I think you have to place an order to see the information. I agree though, the delivery charges should be listed on each page. Another note, it is 11:00am, but the website is not open for business...

I think you have to place an order to see the information. I agree though, the delivery charges should be listed on each page. Another note, it is 11:00am, but the website is not open for business...

Hi all,

Thank you for the compliments and suggestions which we will take on board.

Just to answer a few questions, the menu's appear from 10.30 AM when we open and after that depending on the time the restaurants open.

With the maximum order we have boxes which fit on the back of bikes but have been made to different sizes depending on the order, however they can only carry a maximum of approx 8 large pizza's or 5-8 large main courses so if it exceeds that we would need to send another bike or possibly a car but the charge would then go up accordingly.

Yangzi Jiang is located of Nimmanhaemin, Soi 5 and the Dim Sum is their lunchtime specialilty.

Regards to Thai food, yes we are in the process of adding more restaurants and food stalls, we are located in the middle of town near Ratchamankha Road so there are lots of vendors.

Some restaurants do deliver but only within a few KM's and after speaking to them they feel it would be good to have a wider reach.

As Ajarn mentioned the delivery fee appears when you place an order but I agree with you all, I'll get the charges put on each page.

The Minimart will start of with a few basic things ie soft drinks, juices, milk, beer etc but hopefully within a month or so we will try to add basic grocerys and essentials.

Excellent. Perhaps you could get a few vans later on, so we can ask you to do some heavy duty shopping.

Meanwhile you look well organized and it's great that you are happy to answer questions and take suggestions here.

Edited by sylviex

Gotta admit, a good idea even if the name is a bit, umm, interesting.

For me it brings back memories of my poor old Alzhammer'd Grandpa wheezing excitedly as the Meals On Wheels wagon arrived daily with his little packaged meals, donated by service organizations for those who were no longer able to care for themselves.

Oops, Holy Crap, that is now ME!

I cannot help but wonder if Buzzy will eventually be delivering laxatives and hi-fiber diets to us on our own toilets where we spend much of our time... :D

But, seriously folks, another TV member (who we all know and love) and I have discussed this endeavor at length and are now crushed that someone else (congrats) was quicker on the trigger.

Our new secret is to come up with "Ho's-2-Go" and hopefully nobody is going to steal that idea... :o

Dustoff, perhaps there's a possibilty of joining forces with M o W ( same reaction to the name from me, by the way) ?

I am no business whiz but can see the possibilty of the service growing very quickly and needing a few extra folk to help that happen smoothly.

Dustoff, perhaps there's a possibilty of joining forces with M o W ( same reaction to the name from me, by the way) ?

I am no business whiz but can see the possibilty of the service growing very quickly and needing a few extra folk to help that happen smoothly.

Shhh - we're keeping this secret from Buzzy, right? An I is from Chicago - we don't need no stinking mergers, we jus' takes 'em out..

Besides, while I wrote first-person, my good friend has all the ideas as I cannot remember what day of the week it is. I am just the computer/web-weaver kinda guy with no business sense whatsoever.

I hope MOW is very successful indeed and it will be interesting to note their progress. The whole 'mini-mart' and shopping idea could easily turn sour when customers refuse deliveries because "I didn't order regular Coke but that good stuff from Columbia.. (oops).. Diet Coke and that is not the brand of coconut milk I wanted and..and..and...

Without very specific and detailed listings of items, shopping for someone else is like choosing someone's wife for them and I wouldn't touch it with my 10" pole.. Even with Ho's-2-Go, we gonna need 48-pax buses.

Question: do the I Scream companies still have copyright on their ding-a-ling music? (Not gonna mention service to Hang Dong)...

The whole 'mini-mart' and shopping idea could easily turn sour when customers refuse deliveries because "I didn't order regular Coke but that good stuff from Columbia.. (oops).. Diet Coke and that is not the brand of coconut milk I wanted and..and..and...

Dunno, Dustoff. CM must have a good number of older/disabled expats who would really welcome this.

I think there's evidence of efficiency and if people order known items, few problems are likely. Main thing would seem to be building good will, and M o W seem off to a good start.

• 1 month later...

I first read about Meals on Wheels on this forum.

Tonight I ordered for the second time this month.

First was from Duke's.

Tonight from Chiangmai Saloon.

Both times, food delivered quickly and properly:

At my doorstep in about 45 minutes; Hot food hot, and salads still chilled.

One nice thing, the salads have been huge: two different restaurants, two different orders, both delivered very large salads.

The large box seems to get a larger-than-normal serving, more than I would expect on a plate.

As someone who likes salads, that is an unexpected benefit.

I can't find anything serious to complain about.

Well, crispy foods -- like toasted bread or french fries -- don't arrive crispy.

A few minutes inside a styrofoam box is enough to deplete the crunch.

I don't mind, but, if you're the fussy type, you might.

I like the idea of looking at menus on the web, preparing my order by clicking, then calling on the phone to place the order.

It's a quick, convenient, method.

On the web they use the name, "mealsonwheels4u", so that would be your search term.

When I lived in Bangkok, I used various food delivery services there, especially, "Food By Phone".

Very handy for rainy nights when going out for supper was not tempting.

A life-saver during annual Songkran, and, also, during the occasional "coup".

Although life in CM is not quite so exciting, a meal delivery service here offers a lot of convenience.

Edited by Oneman

I agree with the OP. Meals on Wheels is an awesome service. Very well run too.

I have used the service twice now to order Pizza from Stefano's. Both times in heavy rain, yet the pizza came hot to my door.

The Thai delivery guy was so professional, explained that he was from Meals on Wheels and that he was the delivery person. I was so impressed with service I called back to compliment them.

Well Done

ps. Just a recommendation. I will definately use the service again, maybe a system where people who order are given a customer number or their caller ID is logged so that their delivery details are on a data base.

I have used the service twice now to order Pizza from Stefano's. Both times in heavy rain, yet the pizza came hot to my door.

The Thai delivery guy was so professional, explained that he was from Meals on Wheels and that he was the delivery person. I was so impressed with service I called back to compliment them.

Well Done

ps. Just a recommendation. I will definately use the service again, maybe a system where people who order are given a customer number or their caller ID is logged so that their delivery details are on a data base.

If stating the glaringly obvious is 'professional' then this guy is a true pro. :o

Edited by KevinHUNT

Well Done

If stating the glaringly obvious is 'professional' then this guy is a true pro. :o

You got it wrong k.hunt. What I was saying is that he just didnt put the pizza down and say '200 baht'. He went into full spiel, introduced himself from meals on wheals and that he was the delivery person etc. He was very professional indeed. From a customer service point he gave 10/10. So please dont take an indirect swing at this guy. May be a menial job to you, but this guy was obviously very proud of his job, and good for him.