Bangkok To Chiangmai

BkkJones

Ok so firstly I have no idea if this should go on the CM or BKK forum.

I need to travel from BKK to CM by land because I have cats and air travel for pets are a pain in the a** and costly.

Does anybody have any advise on travel agents or if there are taxis in Bkk that will drive me and my pets to CM on short notice?

I need to travel from BKK to CM by land because I have cats and air travel for pets are a pain in the a** and costly.

Does anybody have any advise on travel agents or if there are taxis in Bkk that will drive me and my pets to CM on short notice?

Many taxis would be happy to drive you to Chiang Mai from Bangkok but why not do a one way hire with AVIS car rental.

I try as much as possible to take the overnight train when I travel between Bangkok and Chiangmai. It's relaxed, comfortable, fun and cheap (not to mention environmentally less destructive than air travel). I imagine (but don't know) that pets would not be allowed in any of the other classes, but if you have any interest at all in the possibility of traveling by train, you might want to explore whether you could reserve two bunks in first class, which would give you a room to yourself, and take your pets with you in that room.

Air travel with pets is not a hassle and not costly. They're luggage, you just put them in a cage/box/whatever and check them in. I see people do it all the time.

Doing a one-way car rental is MORE costly, and mostly likely more hassle too, both for you and for the animal.

Hi,

I don't know if animals are allowed on VIP buses but if they are then definitely go by VIP bus. I am an extremely seasoned traveller, including Thailand and I absolutely swear by VIP buses. They are much more comfortable than buses in the west, usually new and I have never had any form of accident in one. I have travelled to and from CM from BKK 10's of times. I prefer daytime travel (leave Mo Chit bus station at 9.0 am and arrive about 7 pm CM}, but there is also an overnight service. I used to love travelling the route by train several years ago especially for the atmosphere in the buffet cars - but since I discovered the VIP buses I have never travelled that way again. The trains are Ok, but are more expensive (only 800 baht one way by bus), but more importantly less comfortable and take longer - they stop and start and rattle around for the whole trip, The buses are extremely comfortable, with wide seats that lay almost flat - loads of leg room and lunch is included in the ticket! Also the buses are much quieter - the almost exclusively Thai passengeres fall asleep soon after departure and stay that way the whole trip apart from awaking for the 20 min rice lunch. In VIP, the videos are also kept to a tolerable level. You will need to book a few days ahead for the ticket at each end, but you can choose your seat (some are single seats).

Believe me, not many farangs travel by VIP bus but I absolutely recommend them.

I fully agree with Tyke. I can't comment on the pet situation, but I took the VIP bus from the Arcade station in CM down to BKK and it was very comfortable. The only problem was that the aircon was on a bit too high, so just bring a sweater if you have one :o

The bus ride was smooth and quiet. In contrast, the train I took from BKK back to CM was very loud and uncomfortable, took longer than the bus and was more expensive. I definitely won't be taking the train again.

I would suggest buying your bus ticket at the station to avoid getting stuck in a shady tourist bus where the aircon doesn't work.

Have taken the bus between CM and Bangkok several times. But the advise about buying your ticket at the station is a good one - you CAN end up on a junked-out bus where nothing seems to work and the driver seems less than concerned about either the rules of the road OR customer service. I can highly recommend the 999 Group whose on-board stews are very nice.

Have taken the bus between CM and Bangkok several times. But the advise about buying your ticket at the station is a good one - you CAN end up on a junked-out bus where nothing seems to work and the driver seems less than concerned about either the rules of the road OR customer service. I can highly recommend the 999 Group whose on-board stews are very nice.

Rotweiler,

you must be talking about 2nd class buses. VIP buses are quite new or newish - they are the ones to use and they are superb - better than any public bus in the west. 'First class aircon' are a step down from VIP buses and are also usually excellent but with more seats and noisier videos. Between CM and BKK, the only company to run VIP buses are PPP. but other companies run VIP buses between other cities - one is 'Sombat Tours' which are excellent. BTW, on VIP buses, cold drinks and snacks are provided free - but it isn't exactly a buffet - more like a box. It would be interesting if they take animals on board or in boxes and also bikes. I think they would take folding or boxed bikes.

Rotweiler,

you must be talking about 2nd class buses. VIP buses are quite new or newish - they are the ones to use and they are superb - better than any public bus in the west. 'First class aircon' are a step down from VIP buses and are also usually excellent but with more seats and noisier videos. Between CM and BKK, the only company to run VIP buses are PPP. but other companies run VIP buses between other cities - one is 'Sombat Tours' which are excellent. BTW, on VIP buses, cold drinks and snacks are provided free - but it isn't exactly a buffet - more like a box. It would be interesting if they take animals on board or in boxes and also bikes. I think they would take folding or boxed bikes.

I might add that on VIP, the service is excellent and the driving as good as it gets in Thailand. I've never had any problems to talk about. The hostesses seem to be failed air hostesses as they are donned up just like 'em. If they could push a cart down the aisle. they would love it. Only one thing about VIP is the garish decor, but that is interesting in itself, being very Thai.