German Restaurants?

gpdjohn

Just back from Saigon..

Found one of the best German restaurants I have ever eaten at, including in Germany...

Called the " Nha hang DUC BAO..Gartenstadt Restaurant", located at 34 Dong Khoi- Q1. ( The 'ol Tu Do Street for those who remember, right across the street from the old 69 Bar, well, where it USED to be..a little shopping mall there now..how sad...many drunk dayz there)

It was tremendous! Fantastic food and cheap too. I highly recommend it.

Any good one's here in CM? I mean really good...?

( and the bartenders were quite lovely as well... :o )

Given the location, it won't win any prizes for "gemuetlichkeit", but the menu and prices at the newish German restaurant on the ground floor of Kad Suan Kaew (next to the food court) are excellent. As a kid, I was spoilt by my German grandmother's excellent cooking - but theirs comes close.

Contrariwise, I hope I never have the misfortune to eat again at that German place in the night bazaar.......... had a schnitzel (just about the easiest German dish there is) that tasted re-constituted and re-heated :o . Happy to say I can't remember the name but it's close to that "German" bar with the Thai waitresses in dirndls..... double :D .

the place with the Thai-waitresses in Dirndls is called "Hofbraeuhaus". though I dont know of any other German place nearby....

the food at Hofbraeuhaus is pretty much average as well.... though their pricey "SCHNAPS": Kirschwasser = Cherry Water or HIMBEERGEIST = Spirit of Raspberry u may certainly wanna try once u r there......

there used to be another German place in CM called "To Nobody" or something like that, but I have never been there and I dont know if it still exists. they sometimes advertised in the CHIANG MAI MAIL, and got good reviews from customers.

but it was in the middle of nowhere, near CMU, so I doubt they managed to attract a lot of customers.....

Edited by THAILIBAN

the place with the Thai-waitresses in Dirndls is called "Hofbraeuhaus". though I dont know of any other German place nearby....

the food at Hofbraeuhaus is pretty much average as well.... though their pricey "SCHNAPS": Kirschwasser = Cherry Water or HIMBEERGEIST = Spirit of Raspberry u may certainly wanna try once u r there......

there used to be another German place in CM called "To Nobody" or something like that, but I have never been there and I dont know if it still exists. they sometimes advertised in the CHIANG MAI MAIL, and got good reviews from customers.

but it was in the middle of nowhere, near CMU, so I doubt they managed to attract a lot of customers.....

Good "himbeergeist" and I go way back - liquid perfection when it's the right stuff (usually from Black Forest) :o . Looking now at my Nancy Chandler map, I see "Haus München" - three doors down from Hofbräuhaus (and after Red Lion Pub); that's the place I mentioned before.

There aint no good German food.

period

any time I tried german food UGGGGGGGGGGG :D:D:D

they do have some good beers though :o:D

FC,

Do you mean here in CM or that you just do not like german food?

Dont like German food well the stuff I have eaten in the past was rank

There aint no good German food.

period

any time I tried german food UGGGGGGGGGGG :D:D:D

they do have some good beers though :o:D

FC,

Do you mean here in CM or that you just do not like german food?

Dont like German food well the stuff I have eaten in the past was rank

Am I imagining things, or weren't you the one praising English food a while ago :D

/ Priceless

How about Gunther or G&M? He's a professional butcher, mainly pork products though.

He has all sorts of stuff on his menu: haxen, gordon blue, potato salad, sauerkraut, all sorts of sausages, schnitzel. Plus he sells, cooked and smoked ham, salami, liver pate or something like that, etc. All pretty delicious IMHO.

I think he even sells some german beer, though I never drink it so I'm not sure.

His place is somewhere in the middle of nowhere in between Doi Saket and Sankhampeang. Every Sunday there is buffet for 150 baht and the place is absolutely packed during these days. He's wel-known under the Thai from all over Thailand.

To Nobody is closed for at least a year now. Rumor says they got a very good offer to run a restaurant on the Dominican islands. Their food was good though; sausages etc. came from Gunther.

Nienke

Well, it' s a fact. There is no good German food in Chiang Mai. The "Hofbräuhaus" near the night bazaar is German only by name. That also applies to the "Bierstube" at Moon Muang.

In my opinion there's only one good German restaurant all over Thailand. That's "Bei Otto" in Bangkok. By the way they also are making probably some of the best cold cuts avaiable in Thailand. In Chiang Mai you can buy them at the Rimping near the Airport Plaza.

It seems, when it comes to western food, only the Italians are able to deliver food, which almost has the same standard, as you would get in Italy.

No good German restranants ( you know what I mean...too much wodka tonight ) in CM..???

I think I'm gunna cry. :o

Oh well....flights back to Saigon are somewhat cheap.

Phuk

Cannot believe it.

Sux.

Haus München has been closed for ages now (Nancy is not quite up-to-date"..).

It was owned by the same people as own the Red Lion and the current Red Lion menu contains all the German specialties from the old restaurant.

Good "himbeergeist" and I go way back - liquid perfection when it's the right stuff (usually from Black Forest) :o . Looking now at my Nancy Chandler map, I see "Haus München" - three doors down from Hofbräuhaus (and after Red Lion Pub); that's the place I mentioned before.
Edited by Rotweiler

Haus München has been closed for ages now (Nancy is not quite up-to-date"..).

It was owned by the same people as own the Red Lion and the current Red Lion menu contains all the German specialties from the old restaurant.

Was Haus Munchen the place off of the super highway, behind Hillside 5?? Cause I was there a long time ago, and it was GREAT!! The chef would come out and make sure his guest were satisfied with everything, and with the size of the portions, it was hard not to be. He did this with every guest. Nice guy, had a nice domation as well. But when I tried to go back, it was gone!!

Anyone know what happened?

No. It was in the night bazaar. see above.