Thailand: What Springs To Mind ?

bollox

what first comes to your mind when you hear the word 'Thailand' ?  

54 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I have to agree with totster .

While each item listed has it's own charm , The whole thailand experance is what does it for me . However I am out of the sex scene due to marrage . Wait , that didnt sound right . Well you know what I mean :o

Sadly,i voted for the sex industry. I am only being honest. Before I came to Thailand the main image i had in my mind was sex tourism, I am sure most of my fellow citizens who have no been here would say the same thing. Oh well, since i have visited, lived here for 4 years,i would vote, the friendly people :o

I voted other too. Sitting here in my house in the UK with the wind and rain lashing the double glazzing - my wife in LOS sorting out some stuff about our houses there, the thing that comes to mind straight off is....warmth. Boring I know, but its that smell of the warm air when you (I) return to LoS and the feel of being wrapped in a warm blanket all day and night. That's the first thing in my mind - maybe the weather though. I'll ask myself again when (if) the sun shows its head again this year.

Sitting here in my Pattaya condo I can see endless numbers of farangs striding towards walking street. I assume that they like most of you hypocrites are here for the bar girls, katoeys & bar boys. Still I guess you keep the clap clinics in business.

Doctor John, Pvt. Dick I'm absolutely with you.

Indeed saddening that "the sex industry" has got the clear lead in this poll. Ain't that indicate that our government is eventually on the right track trying to change that reputation? Who wants to live in the whorehouse of the world and get raised his children raised there?

Guess this is why also Khun Purachai has got my vote. Waiting for that very moment when something else than sex springs to mind when our capital's name is mentioned. Even traffic jam has a much more positive sound :o

Sitting here in my Pattaya condo I can see endless numbers of farangs striding towards walking street. I assume that they like most of you hypocrites are here for the bar girls, katoeys & bar boys. Still I guess you keep the clap clinics in business.

This is Harry, I know it is. :o

Home. 

Just what I was going to say :o

This should be a question aked to those people who do not live here. As this is an Expat Forum, there shouldn't be many of those here.

A better question would be what did you think of before you came here?

I thought of the sex industry. Incidently, not why I came here.

Those who voted for the sex industry and are currently living here, are surely involved in this industry.

I voted other...

Reason : - It's all of the above, the whole package, no one thing springs to mind, but the whole experience does...  :D

totster  :D

Agree with Totster, it's everything, the good as well as the bad. Yes, even the katoeys. It's good to see that people can be whoever or whatever they want to be without persecution. :o

For me definitely "other." The pictures you posted are only a minutae of the main reason I have an association with the country. For me, its about relationships, loving and caring, for my fiancee, her daughter and the rest of her family. Everything else is secondary by far.

The relaxed atmosphere. No large deadlines. No push to get to work to pay off that second mortgage. Partly the friendly people (upcountry, bkk and pattaya excluded). Despite of culture shock a feeling of home most of the time. Buddhism. easy life , easy holiday.

I voted other.

A few yrs ago I'd have voted sex industry but since my circumstances have changed I have to think in terms of low cost of living, the great people and food.

I've met some bloody good expats too.

Sitting in a frigging cold garage in SYD typing this makes LOS seem better than ever , except for the 99% humidity :D

Can't wait to get back in late Jan.....

I call Thailand "home" now. Don't you? :o