Relocating To Thailand From Vietnam

Hi all new to the forum and have a few questions.

I am relocating to Thailand from Vietnam at the end of this year.

Firstly will I have to pay tax on used goods I am bringing in, ie furniture, 2xtv`s, 2xfridges, etc.

I am moving with my Girlfriend (Viet) can we split the shipment between us, as in 1 fridge and tv each??

Also 3 dogs! Whats the ruling with bringing them in quarrintine or are the valid rabies injections enough??

Cheers in advance

Matt

Hi all new to the forum and have a few questions.

I am relocating to Thailand from Vietnam at the end of this year.

Firstly will I have to pay tax on used goods I am bringing in, ie furniture, 2xtv`s, 2xfridges, etc.

I am moving with my Girlfriend (Viet) can we split the shipment between us, as in 1 fridge and tv each??

Also 3 dogs! Whats the ruling with bringing them in quarrintine or are the valid rabies injections enough??

Cheers in advance

Matt

If you are over 50 and can get a retirement visa - you are entitled to bring into the country 1 shipment/container of personal stuff duty free.

However from the list of stuff you want to ship here (TV and Fridge) - My advice is to get rid of them there and sell them to other expat then buy them again here in Thailand. TV and Fridge are NOT that expensive here. Moving to another country can be very stressfull why add more potential problems! Keep it simple.

Edited by whatchamacallit

Still under 50!!

I would get bent over selling everything off!!! 50 and 42" Plasma`s, full surround sound systems. 2 Big side by side fridge/freezers, all my furniture is almost new less than 8 months. What sort of tax would I be looking on that?

I would rather pay some tax than lose half of it selling it off!! Timing would be an pain as well!!

Anyone got any ideas about brionging dogs in??? Not selling them either!!

REQUIREMENTS FOR THE IMPORTATION OF DOGS AND CATS

INTO THE KINGDOM OF THAILAND

1) A health certificate in English, signed or further endorsed by a full-time authorized veterinary official of the government of the exporting country, if it is previously acknowledged by a veterinary surgeon, stating:-

1.1) number and species ,

1.2) breed, sex, age and color or animal identification,

1.3) name and address of the owner OR the kennel of origin,

1.4) certification of condition items (2) to (5).

2) The animals must come from an area where animal diseases are under control. They are found to be healthy, free from signs of any infectious and contagious diseases including ectoparasitism at the time of export and fit to travel.

3) The country has been free from Rabies for at least the past 12 (twelve) months OR the animals are vaccinated against Rabies with an official approved vaccine not less than 21 (twenty- one) days prior to the departure.

4) EITHER a) The dog is vaccinated against Leptospirosis at least 21(twenty-one) days preceding departure.

OR B ) The dog is subjected to a test for Leptospirosis with negative result during the 30 (thirty) days prior to the departure.

5) The animals shall be vaccinated against other significant infectious or contagious diseases i.e. Distemper, Hepatitis, and Parvovirus, with an official approved vaccine at least 21 (twenty-one) days prior to the departure.

6) The animals must be conveyed in nose-and-paw proof crates designed to avoid any risk of injury or unnecessary suffering.

7) The animals are not allowed to expose to other animals if they have to be landed in transit at any approved intermediate port. They shall not be allowed to leave precinct of the port except to an officially approved transit quarantine area.

8) The animals are subjected to quarantine at approved premises for a period of at least 30 (thirty) days upon arrival during which they shall be submitted to tests and/or treatments deemed necessary. The importer/owner shall be fully charged for the incurred expenses.

9) Failure to follow the import procedures may result in returning the animals to the country of origin or destroying without compensation.

Do not believe he will obtain duty free entry in any case.

oh that's right - Lopburi has spoken.. I guess my shipping agent lied to me when I moved here two years ago with a retirement visa - I sent all of my personal stuff from the State in a 20ft container (all items must be declared, including serial number for electronic stuff) and paid no duties at all... Oh well... You certainly know more than I do lopburi... :o

Lopburi had covered the dog side.

For the personal items you will not get free import unless you have a work permit and one year visa.

However do not despair. Ask your shipping agent to get a quote from a local Thai agent for clearing

your shipment. "special" deals can usually be done by good agents.

I agree. Lopburi is right. But yes, you can have "special" deals. The rules however require a workpermit to be able to ship household items tax free. And you can only import a reasonable ammount of each item, so 2 tv and fridges etc will be out of the question.

For the rules look here:

http://www.customs.go.th/Customs-Eng/House...nuNme=HouseHold

...I guess my shipping agent lied to me when I moved here two years ago with a retirement visa - I sent all of my personal stuff from the State in a 20ft container (all items must be declared, including serial number for electronic stuff) and paid no duties at all...

I doubt that your shipping agent lied to you but suspect that there may be some misunderstanding on your part. Most likely the shipping agent lumped all expenses into one amount, which you then paid, without itemising it. With a good agent the total expense can often be lower this way than if he had to give you separate receipts for each expense incurred in clearing the shipment.

--

Maestro

Thanks guys for the info.

I wont have a work permit as I am only basing myself in Thailand not working there.

Going off track what visa`s would be available for myself (UK) and my Girlfriend (Viet)??

Cheers

Matt

You can get a one year multi-entry visa from the UK.

Hull and Birmingham will help.

Not sure for your girlfriend but Lopburi's advice is probably good

as Vietnam is part of ASEAN which makes life easier.

You can get a one year multi-entry visa from the UK.

Hull and Birmingham will help.

Not sure for your girlfriend but Lopburi's advice is probably good

as Vietnam is part of ASEAN which makes life easier.

Are you saying that any ASEAN members get unlimited 30-day visa exempt entries?

As far as I know, Filipinos are still subject to the 90 day in 6 month rule and they are ASEAN.

No it is selected states that are not subject to the 30 days in 6 month rule. PI is not one of them. Vietnam is.

She is off to the Thai embassy tomorrow to find out for sure what the options are thanks for everyones help!!

I will hav e few more questions for sure over the nextr couple months!!

Cheers

Matt

No it is selected states that are not subject to the 30 days in 6 month rule. PI is not one of them. Vietnam is.

Great, I'm glad we cleared that up...so it has nothing to do with a nation state's ASEAN affiliations then.