Attracted To Thailand "for The Danger"

scotwumman

Danger? I feel a lot safer here than I do in my own country (except for the traffic).

dont forget the women

Quite right.

Never let 'em blindside you, it can seriously damage your wallet!

And if you want danger, try Manchester at night.

Edited by qwertz

Strange thread this. Thailand is such a safe place.....

Maybe we've fallen into another dimension overnight. What the traffic has to do with it beats me though.

Go out and insult a cop. Or any Thai. Or retrieve a dog from a neighbours' garden. Or... The options are endless.

Maybe it's just a reflection of the tension that so many members take any gap to jump on elderly ladies to express some of their cropped up frustrations. Maybe those frustrations are building up as they cannot be safely expressed.

We are currently in what has been termed the crime capitol of the world, Johannesburg. My Thai wife's sentiments: "I feel much safer here than in Thailand" , "I don't feel like going back, it's like going back to jail".

I'm sure that will be greeted with howls of indignation and disbelief.

There is a very high level of denial prevailing in Thailand, and not only amongst the Thai.

I think there should be a member color scheme to differentiate between posters who actually live here fulltime vs those that come and go as tourists...so we can gauge the perspective the topic is based from before answering, or not :o

I think there should be a member color scheme to differentiate between posters who actually live here fulltime vs those that come and go as tourists...so we can gauge the perspective the topic is based from before answering, or not :o

Totally agree with you on this one, but i think half the mods dont live in Thailand, so i suppose it will be a no-go thing, pity really..

Cheers Lickey.

Thailand dangerous ? :o Try walking around the many areas of Los Angeles after dark where several hundred thousand hard core gang members now reside and you will learn what danger is all about. For a big city, I think that Bangkok is especially safe compared with big cities here in the US. There is always going to be a very slight element of danger everywhere but the thing that seems to be most dangerous for male farangs visiting Thailand and causes them the most problems and hardships is their sometimes poor choice in women and the indiscriminate use of their ATM cards.

Thailand dangerous ? :o Try walking around the many areas of Los Angeles after dark where several hundred thousand hard core gang members now reside and you will learn what danger is all about. For a big city, I think that Bangkok is especially safe compared with big cities here in the US. There is always going to be a very slight element of danger everywhere but the thing that seems to be most dangerous for male farangs visiting Thailand and causes them the most problems and hardships is their sometimes poor choice in women and the indiscriminate use of their ATM cards.

I live 35 miles North Of san Diego and I can tell you this is such a true statement. And dudes getting all drunked up and going to sex shows in Bkk are still way safer than sober ones just going to the store in L.A.

TB and Hep B is every where in Thailand, and I contracted TB while in Thailand, I hope it never goes active....

Thailand is dangerous, people drive like crazy, and life is cheap here. If you think not.... I would hate to see what your home countries state of affairs are like.

Why do so many posters complain about the Thai drivers? They (the Farangs) must have never gotten off the farm back home. Ever been to LA, Phoenix or Miami to name a few. Thailand looks like a model of civility compared to many large American cities. I do agree that safety, particularly traffic safety is not a priority here, but there also is not the climate of agressiveness and confrontation that is found in American society.

These days large towns or cities in Thailand are no different to many other countries, the crazy drivers are a menace all over the world .lots of the contagious diseases in thailand were brought in from over seas,as a youngster in 50,s Kenya there was a disease amongst Kikuyu called the slim sickness today they call it Aids!!street violence in thailand is only on a par with other major cities in the world, my wife and I are 65 and 62 respectively, we have made the trip from yasothon Province to singapore and back by motorbike twice in the last 10 years no problems apart from our bodies telling us we are getting to old :D , we toured europe last autumn by car, had my pocket picked in Zurich,and our car broken into in Vienna, it is just our opinion that the only danger we encounter in Thailand is too much Palah in our Somtam :o Nignoy

Thank you for all answers. I probably did not pose the question very well and as a tourist will enquire into the sub travel forum when looking for information. To Carib's question I am sorry I cannot be specific except to say that I have in the past considered settling in Thailand.

My last visit was 2006 when I found, just a general feeling, things didn't seem so safe as my previous visits. Maybe however some replies have been up to the mark and I am becoming too old to travel alone or merely imagining things. Think I was looking for reassurance that most people who live there consider it safe and it would appear that in general that they do.

Thank you for all answers. I probably did not pose the question very well and as a tourist will enquire into the sub travel forum when looking for information. To Carib's question I am sorry I cannot be specific except to say that I have in the past considered settling in Thailand.

My last visit was 2006 when I found, just a general feeling, things didn't seem so safe as my previous visits. Maybe however some replies have been up to the mark and I am becoming too old to travel alone or merely imagining things. Think I was looking for reassurance that most people who live there consider it safe and it would appear that in general that they do.

Perhaps you should consider taking the replies in a light-hearted way. I am sure you are not to old to travel.

Scotwumman

You are not to old to travel, you are a youngster compared to some of us. I think the area you travel to can have a big influence in how comfortable you feel. My wife and I live in the Hua Hin/Cha Am area and have never felt the least bit threatened. Well with the exception of the drivers, lack of driving skills and common sense.

We find the people very giving and easy to deal with. Give any Thai a smile and almost guanantee you will get a bigger one back. Don't know of any other place even close. Like everywhere it has a few problems but the benefits far outweigh the problems. Do youself a favor and don't give up on it to soon. Hope it all goes well for you.

I think I understand her post.

She feels in her mind that things are more dangerous then they seem. This is very common coming form all the urban legend stories and seeing crazy tourist get beaten up from picking fights with the locals. Have we all forgotten our 1st to second visits? Especially those who traveled alone and at a young age? Our guard is up but Thailand is still very attractive. This can take a lot of fun out of the adventure. But giving us attraction to come back again.

But really it was all in our heads and Thailand is a very safe plaices once we learn the simple rules, don’t pic fights, don’t take get involved with drugs, don’t use Bangkok taxis after 2 am and don’t accept drinks form strangers or you will wake up with kidneys missing, RoFl joke joke!

Come back and enjoy Asia,

Edited by RakJungTorlae

Thailand is no more or less dangerous than any place else really. As most folks know its how you carry yourself. Now dangerous would be say...Iraq. Like check out this pick I took with my iphone in Iraq right after my hotel was car bombed. Now this is the Kurdish part in the North, Sulymaniah a place that I consider safe, I even brought my wife this time.... Oh well fortunately we had friends to stay with for the rest of our stay.

march212008008.jpg

If you want to feel safe here (especially around Pattays) DO NOT READ THE LOCAL NEWSPAPERS.

Around 50% of the 'news' content is crime. However, this does not mean that crime accounts for 50% of what's going on.

Crime reporting is easy (just phone the local cops and get pages of 'news' without having to get up off your a*se) whereas real investigative reporting takes time and effort.

How many of us expats or wannabees are attracted to Thailand for the danger it may involve. I only travel there, a lot it has to be said, and come home each time vowing never to return. But........

............ upon my return to glasgow.................. I know I was kidding myself.... :o:D

I'm a 'danger junkie' or should I say, soon to be an "ex-danger junkie" as I am too old now. I got hooked in Vietnam way back when. Thailand (especially BKK) has a certain "electicity" to it. A danger junkie can find it anywhere just like a drug addict. I admit going into areas of Bangkok late at night - places where no foreigners should go - slum areas, etc. I just hang around long enoug to feel the "juice" - the adreline - as I encroach into dangerous neighborhoods to just get a 'taste,' then I get the hel_l out of there. Even was chased once and thank god a taxi saved me. It's crazy, I know, but hard to explain. I'm pretty sure those day are over, at least I hope so but I gotta be honest... I'm not sure if I'm completely "clean." Time will tell. What can I say? I'm nuts.

or from glasgow?

:o

roy gsd

How many of us expats or wannabees are attracted to Thailand for the danger it may involve. I only travel there, a lot it has to be said, and come home each time vowing never to return. But........

............ upon my return to glasgow.................. I know I was kidding myself.... :o:D

The language and cultural barriers are easier to negotiate in LoS. :D