The You Tube Thread

Tony Clifton

• Replies 249
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Youtube out in Rayong - TOT. It's funny, because I can watch videos on any other website, and use a bit torrent download. However, even with a proxy, I can only reach the youtube page, the videos don't show up. It's very annoying. I can't see it being a bandwith issue. There was a problem that some kind of gang rape video got posted on youtube, and youtube didn't yank it until it got over 600 views. If anything, I think its a content issue. Or, maybe TOT is in cahoots with the Chinese government in repressing the Tibetans.

This is beyond my technical knowledge, but is it possible that TOT is disabling the java script used by youtube? When I use a proxy, I get this message where the video should appear:

"Hello, you either have JavaScript turned off or an old version of Adobe's Flash Player."

Now, I know I have the current version of flahplayer installed, but perhaps TOT can disable the java script, and that's why I can't see the video, including embedded youtube videos?

^ On balance probably not, but what does seem to happen is if an element of the page lives elsewhere then delays in delivering that can cause the site to fail.

Regards

PS This is a big problem for sites which use 'Ajax' in such a manner.

Edited by A_Traveller

This is beyond my technical knowledge, but is it possible that TOT is disabling the java script used by youtube? When I use a proxy, I get this message where the video should appear:

"Hello, you either have JavaScript turned off or an old version of Adobe's Flash Player."

Now, I know I have the current version of flahplayer installed, but perhaps TOT can disable the java script, and that's why I can't see the video, including embedded youtube videos?

Exactly the same problem here. I can't view youtube videos embedded on other sites either. Let me know if you find a solution...? There is no other choice but fuc_king TOT in my part of Rayong. Fascists! :o

Lots of issues here, connectivity, DNS, browser, Java, Flash etc.

People really ought to do a bit of research to sort out their problems before assuming there is some nefarious plot to block their access to YouTube.

I'd...

- try http://208.65.153.253/

- add new/different DNS servers

- de-install/remove all Java additions (add/remove programs).

- re-install latest Java.

- update/re-install Flash.

- review browser security settings to allow things like YouTube (you'll have to Google to get details for your browser).

- check other security programs, pop-up blockers etc.

- maybe try a different browser, or de-install re-install current favored browser.

- ping 208.65.153.253 , post results.

- Run, cmd, ipconfig/all, post results.

- ping DNS servers, post results.

- try one of the YouTube video savers, see if you can save the FLV to your PC, then play.

- call ISP, report issue(s), ask about known problems.

Has YouTube been blocked in Thailand? Every time I try to view a link or go there directly it is unavailable. Been happening awhile now. I know it was blocked last year for some time, was the block not removed? Or is it only TOT that blocks it?

I'm using TOT IPstar, I can get the youtube.com pages and search for video but then the videos do not play.

I disconnected the TOT connection and established an Edge Connection with AIS and then I can view the videos, so its certainly a TOT issue.

I just called TOT support and the lady told me they were having trouble reading youtubes server. I think she didn't really know what was wrong but she actually told me to use a specific anonymous proxy. :o

TOT double-speak. It's been out for 9 days, and its not even out nationwide for TOT ADSL. No other ISP's are having problems either.

TOT Chiangmai, it's been working, as in the site loads, and i can stream some video's, but as soon as i try to stream anything with the words China or Thailand, or anything about Asian business, it won't stream. As soon as i connect to a VPN outside of Thailand, those video's i couldn't stream before work perfectly. I would be curious to see exactly what criteria they are using now to censor the video's as i remember before the only way the government lifted the ban on youtube, was by them agreeing to self censor themselves like they have been doing in China.

My son sneds me vids from youtube onto funwall and they will not download too.very sad people who do this.

youtube is blocked for very good reasons in thailand. there's certain videos on there that are considered very taboo in thai culture. and the powers that be be are blocking access to these videos if you are in thailand.

I'm not sure what the heck is going on with You Tube but I usually put it down to the B****dy useless TOT internet connection however, I am getting speeds of over 1.5mb tonight and trying to view videos all connected with Asia! Now the strange thing is a vid will load about human rights in Burma but not about a motorbike tour in Cambodia, songkran in Thailand or basically anything to do with Thailand or the Thai border countries except Burma!

What's worrying in me is out of curiosity I did view the controversial *** video 1 week ago and now wondering if I have been blocked because of that! This is really annoying. So as a guess if you are having no problems with YouTube for asian/Thailand clips dont try to view the banned video (sickening as it was) or you may get blocked (if that is the case with me).

Other ideas on this would be interesting!

Looking at my post..... saying "sickening as it was" could mean the wrong implications. :D To clarify It would be better put " totally agree with the govenrment for baning the video" :o

The situation is still the same every video will play my end except Asian!

Edited by Enduro

Youtube has been inaccesible for me here in Bangkok now for the last several hours. It was working at about 8AM, but now appears to be blocked...the whole site, not just certain vids.

NEVERMIND! It came back. Weird how it comes and goes for hours at a time. That happens quite often for me.

Edited by FreedomDude

Youtube has been inaccesible for me here in Bangkok now for the last several hours. It was working at about 8AM, but now appears to be blocked...the whole site, not just certain vids.

NEVERMIND! It came back. Weird how it comes and goes for hours at a time. That happens quite often for me.

Ok, I went through a checklist of videos some are viewable some not on youtube. On google video and yahoo video all videos of the same keywords are fine to view. The weirdest thing is this...(and yes it sounds paranoid).... as I said before all videos of any keyword were viewable by me but since I took a sneak peak at the contoversial one weird things over the last 2 weeks have happened. I love motorbikes so one of the most used kewords I use are "motorbike" as I live in Thailand asian based keywords are often used. What has happened recently is anything with motorbike followed by cambodia, thailand, Laos, Singapore, Malaysia are not viewable.

If I am being blocked then this is a serious case of Big Brother from powers to be that are obviously way more paranoid than I am now!

I have been trying to watch this video (being just one of many I have tried) of the Bokor Rally in Cambodia

This will not load at all for me. I even tried a proxy but still no good (anyone recommend a good proxy?) Interesting to see if others can watch this vid. If yes, then my case for being blocked is very strong. :o

Does anybody know what is happeining with YouTube. It allows me to watch some videos, but othere won't load others. For example; I uploaded a video yesterday and couldn't play it, yet my family in Ireland could watch it. Why would this be? I am using an ipstar satelite connection.