Tcl Lcd

rono

Ideally you want to feed native panel rez.

Either way including only one component is useless for my needs. Can anyone confirm if it takes Hidef on that component either ?? As they have those ones listed but other ones being 'HD ready' on the website.. Makes me think that model doesnt take HD (or whats the HD ready for ??)..

I bought one as did 3 of my friends. Got tired of waiting for name brands to come down to the BT. 10,000 price range.

When the Sony and Samsung sets are available at that price I will buy one and replace the 29 inch CRT that has become a second set.

Serious question.

Why would I want to use it with my laptop? As a second monitor? If that is the case, and the resolution is as good as a regular LCD monitor, then this is a fantastic deal. There are no 32 inch montors for sale at less than Bt. 10,000.

But unless I am using wifi connection ( I am not. Using a wired router) it does not seem convenient to use with a computer.

Serious question.

Why would I want to use it with my laptop? As a second monitor? If that is the case, and the resolution is as good as a regular LCD monitor, then this is a fantastic deal. There are no 32 inch montors for sale at less than Bt. 10,000.

But unless I am using wifi connection ( I am not. Using a wired router) it does not seem convenient to use with a computer.

A PC as a media center..

not a new concept..

New concept or not, your reply was not much of an answer.

Would appreciate a brief explanation of the benefits of using as a monitor.

Connecting your PC to your TV means you have an all in one Blu-Ray, HD-DVD, MP3 and music, DVD, AVI and hundreds of other formats player in a single box, its networked into your home net, streams over the net to each room, scales your TV to a hidef output (I hold the dscaler domains for open source de-interlacing) etc etc etc etc. The PC scaling is some of the best upscaling you can get on correctly flagged DVD content. they are also configurable to do many tasks that theres no other elegant solution to in advanced home theater applications (non linear scaling, blanking, etc etc etc).

Read up on HTPC's.. AVS forum is a good place to start. I was the moderator of the nets largest home theater forum for years. So am a bit biased about using them in home theater setups.

New concept or not, your reply was not much of an answer.

Would appreciate a brief explanation of the benefits of using as a monitor.

Connecting your PC to your TV means you have an all in one Blu-Ray, HD-DVD, MP3 and music, DVD, AVI and hundreds of other formats player in a single box, its networked into your home net, streams over the net to each room, scales your TV to a hidef output (I hold the dscaler domains for open source de-interlacing) etc etc etc etc. The PC scaling is some of the best upscaling you can get on correctly flagged DVD content. they are also configurable to do many tasks that theres no other elegant solution to in advanced home theater applications (non linear scaling, blanking, etc etc etc).

Read up on HTPC's.. AVS forum is a good place to start. I was the moderator of the nets largest home theater forum for years. So am a bit biased about using them in home theater setups.

Thanks for that.

I was an early-adopter of HT technology back in the early 90's. Using all Luxman equipment including badged Luxman stand-alone decoder(actually Lexicon).

When I moved to Thailand, a friend quipped "no more Luxman for you. Maybe Discman!"

After several years the novelty wore off. Seems most common surround effects were rain and gunfire. For dialogue(most important part of a movie) it's overkill. Could not be bothered with it now.

As for Blu-ray tech etc., I would have to buy a new computer. When it is time to replace this laptop I will use it in a similar manner to what you describe for mp3 and avi files.

Is this model easy to mount on the wall and does it look like this one?

post-11708-1214111882_thumb.jpg

Looks like you need to buy a bracket for wall mounting there are 6 holes on the back where bolts go through the bracket into the TV.

This is the TV...........

post-8110-1214126163_thumb.jpg

Looks like i made a pigs ear of uploading the picture................ sorry :o

Edited by thaiflyer1

Either way including only one component is useless for my needs. Can anyone confirm if it takes Hidef on that component either ?? As they have those ones listed but other ones being 'HD ready' on the website.. Makes me think that model doesnt take HD (or whats the HD ready for ??)..

This is how the back looks like :

post-12567-1214126557_thumb.jpg

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HD_ready

against

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Full_HD

As I said my new LCD (Samsung LA-4081B) supports Full HD and I can feed it 1080p movies at full resolution. It has 3 HDMI inputs (two on the back, one on the side). Good enough to support my needs (one for the DVD, a Sony NVP-708 upconverting and another for my PC).

Connecting your computer to a VGA might lead to overscan.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Overscan

Edited by sniffdog

Did this promotion avaliable yet? Today i was at pattaya sukhumvit lotus and can't find such.

I bought the last one from Sukhumvit Tesco Lotus yesterday presumably they have not got new stock in yet...................i went up to buy another one today from North Road Tesco Lotus , they had approx 14 in stock this was at 2pm.........getting it delivered tommorow.

They also have a Samsung on offer at 19999 baht so dont get confused by it...........the one you want is the the middle of the aisle as you walk towards the TV,s at the back of the store.

Thanks for the tip.

Right next door to Jedi Computer - ground floor Pantip plaza is a shop selling Samsung LCD TV's at rock bottom prices. I assume discontinued models.

And if you can't find it .... Jedi has two branches on the ground floor. It's the one on the rightmost aisle if you enter from Petchburi Rd.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HD_ready

against

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Full_HD

As I said my new LCD (Samsung LA-4081B) supports Full HD and I can feed it 1080p movies at full resolution. It has 3 HDMI inputs (two on the back, one on the side). Good enough to support my needs (one for the DVD, a Sony NVP-708 upconverting and another for my PC).

Connecting your computer to a VGA might lead to overscan.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Overscan

Yes I fully understand.. My point was that the website of this maker lists FULL HD TV's.. HD certified TV's, and just LCD-TV's of which this model is listed as being.. I am speculating on whether not including it in the HD ready category means it doesnt take HD inputs over component ?? I have a LG thats used just as a CNBC and bloomberg display on my desk all day and that one takes HD on only one of its inputs.

As to VGA and overscan thats dependant on the TV and very easy to fix by modifying your signal to include additional black information around the active panel with a tool called powerstrip.

I was looking yesterday and there were some pretty impressive 42 inch TV's (8000:1 CR, many inputs etc.. Think it was Phillips) for 30.. There was a 42 inch Full HD for only 45.. I run a projector but would like another panel for daytime use.. Dont really need full HD but would like a bit larger than 42 to be honest.. 46 and up still costs quite big bucks, they had a 52 incher in there but wanted like 170k !!

Yes, I understood your question after I read it the second time and I already made the post. Anyway, I hope other members benefit from the info.

The Philips (the number ends on 2800) is 34,990 at Powerbuy .... couldn't find more than one review on the Net ... it got only a rating of '6' .... Furthermore I don't think Philips has a very good reputation in the LCD/plasma section ...

The other one you saw is a LCD (Full HD) at THB 44,900 ....

If you think 170K is a lot of money .... In the Samsung brochure a 70 inch is featured ... it has a contrast ratio of 500,000:1 .... price: THB 1,999,999.

I am very happy with my new Samsung LA-40M81B .... although it's only 40 inch. Saw a LA-46M81B at PowerMall last week for THB 39,884 (a show model). Alas, by the time I decided to buy it the next day, it was already sold ....

In the Samsung brochure a 70inch is featured ... it has a contrast ratio of 500,000:1 .... price: THB 1,999,999.

I feed it micro high definition rips from the Internet through either the PC or DVD (convert through ConvertXtoDVD 3).... very nice quality ....

BTW If you see a price ending on a '4' at either BigC, PowerMall or Powerbuy, it's a show model.

Edited by sniffdog

Yes, I understood your question after I read it the second time and I already made the post. Anyway, I hope other members benefit from the info.

The Philips (the number ends on 2800) is 34,990 at Powerbuy .... couldn't find more than one review on the Net ... it got only a rating of '6' .... Furthermore I don't think Philips has a very good reputation in the LCD/plasma section ...

Yeah the 2800 model was the one at 29,999.. Image looked ok and not too much LCD washout on darks.. Need to check what kind of cabling options it has.. PC res taken etc..

If you think 170K is a lot of money .... In the Samsung brochure a 70 inch is featured ... it has a contrast ratio of 500,000:1 .... price: THB 1,999,999.

I used to be involved in HT a bit.. Helped install 9 inch CRT projectors, silly silly money !!

Dont really need full HD but would like a bit larger than 42 to be honest..

Will this one do? :o Sharp 108 inches.

post-566-1214208592_thumb.jpg

I used to have my last setup at a 120 inch width screen.. Thats almost 140 inch diagonal..

I am actually gone to move to a smaller screen setup in my new place as the room used to be massive and my viewing distances have changed, a bit more punch from the projector on a smaller screen if theres any ambient light..

Yeah the 2800 model was the one at 29,999.. Image looked ok and not too much LCD washout on darks.. Need to check what kind of cabling options it has.. PC res taken etc..

I used to be involved in HT a bit.. Helped install 9 inch CRT projectors, silly silly money !!

Yes, not too much LCD washouts .... because it's a plasma ..... :o

http://www.tech2.com/india/reviews/lcd/phi...-ta2800/13791/0