Is A Uk Visa Valid For Europe

Can anyone help i have a UK VISA FOR MY GIRLFRIEND BUT WONDER IF I CAN TAKE HER TO PARIS on the same Visa//

I think you will find that your GF will require a 'Shengen" Visa to travel in Europe....a UK visa is just that 'UK'

Can anyone help i have a UK VISA FOR MY GIRLFRIEND BUT WONDER IF I CAN TAKE HER TO PARIS on the same Visa//

I think you will find that your GF will require a 'Shengen" Visa to travel in Europe....a UK visa is just that 'UK'

THANKS FOR YOUR HELP!

THANKS FOR YOUR HELP!

It is a schengen visa, and you will need to apply to the country which you will visit first (i.e. France in this case), but the visa is then good for all the countries in the Schengen area. Do a search in the Visa section and you will find some very helpful threads. This visa is easier for wives than for GFs.

Yup ^^^, she'll need a Schengen visa.

Apply in BANGKOK before she leaves for the UK. The European embassies in London are a bit reticent to provide visas to those who don't have UK settlement visas of some kind.

Think you will find the only place in Europe that will not require a visa is Switzerland.

The Boss lady managed to visit her friends on several occasions in Zurich whilst on an Indefinite Leave to Stay visa in UK.

TBWG :o

• 2 years later...

As mentioned earlier, it is wiser for Thai nationals to apply at the Swiss Embassy in Bangkok rather than overseas, unless they can demonstrate legal residence status in the country in which they are applying. The Swiss Embassy is on Wireless Road across from the British Embassy. Appointments are required and the waiting time to get an appointment is currently between two and three weeks. Application fee is the THB equivalent of €60 (currently THB 2,600) and once the application is lodged, you can expect a decision within a week. The application form can be downloaded from the Swiss Embassy web site (Google "Swiss Embassy Bangkok").

Anecdotally, the Swiss are at the stricter end of the Schengen scale, i.e. they reject applicants more easily than many other Schengen states and when they do grant visas for tourism purposes, they are generally for the precise period of the applicant's stated visit.

Slightly off topic I know, but does a Thai need a schengen visa to visit Eire?

Last year my (Thai) wife who has a 5 year tourist visa for the UK and I flew from the UK to Northern Island (UK of course)

I then rented a car and drove down to Dublin. There are no immigration checks between the two countries.

Was my wife an illegal immigrant during our stay in Eire?

• 7 months later...

Does anyone know if the advice above still holds true. My gf has just got a UK visitors visa. I work half of my time in the Netherlands and would like her to join me when there. She is planning on coming to the UK in about a month. Is it better for her to apply for a shengen visa before she leaves Thailand and if so is it possible, as suggested above, to apply online? Thanks

Does anyone know if the advice above still holds true. My gf has just got a UK visitors visa. I work half of my time in the Netherlands and would like her to join me when there. She is planning on coming to the UK in about a month. Is it better for her to apply for a shengen visa before she leaves Thailand and if so is it possible, as suggested above, to apply online? Thanks

Has to apply for a schengen in Bangkok. Can't apply on V/V in the UK.

http://thailand.nlembassy.org/Products_and_Services/Consular_services/Visa_application_in_Thailand

RAZZ

She doesn't need a Schengen visa as Ireland aren't in the Schenghen area, she should have got a visa for Eire http://www.dfa.ie/ho...ex.aspx?id=8605

Not sure if she would have got into trouble if she had been caught, they have a very porous border.

Edit for typos

Nearly all borders in Europe these days are drive- through,so your comment that they have have a very porous border is questionable.

She doesn't need a Schengen visa as Ireland aren't in the Schenghen area, she should have got a visa for Eire http://www.dfa.ie/ho...ex.aspx?id=8605

Not sure if she would have got into trouble if she had been caught, they have a very porous border.

Edit for typos

Nearly all borders in Europe these days are drive- through,so your comment that they have have a very porous border is questionable.

Yeah, the UK's border is very wet! :whistling:;)

RAZZ

Edit for typos

The border between Northern Ireland (UK) and the Republic of Ireland (Eire) is not supposed to be what you refer to as a 'drive through border' as the borders between Shengen countries are designed to be.

It's meant to be secure, but in many places, it isn't. It's porous. :)

Edit for typos

I am not sure if I am answering your question, but the above advice was directly above yours?

However, the Republic of Ireland is not part of the Schengen Agreement, so you need an Irish Visa. Yes you can travel from the UK to Northern Ireland and to be absolutely clear, it is easy to drive straight through the border into the South, but it would be an illegal transgression without a valid visa.

Edit for typos

I am not sure if I am answering your question, but the above advice was directly above yours?

However, the Republic of Ireland is not part of the Schengen Agreement, so you need an Irish Visa. Yes you can travel from the UK to Northern Ireland and to be absolutely clear, it is easy to drive straight through the border into the South, but it would be an illegal transgression without a valid visa.

Hello, if you want that your gf stay with you in the Netherlands, she has to apply for a Schengen Visa. With this Visa you can travel to each country which is a member of the Schengen agreement. Otherwise she needs visa for each country which are not part of the Schengen agreement. in your special case she needs 2 Visa, for the UK and for "Schengen countries". I hope this helps, have a nice trip to Europe!

Edited by AxlSchmidt

post-48448-0-96693400-1309077771_thumb.jpost-48448-0-96693400-1309077771_thumb.j

THANKS FOR YOUR HELP!

It is a schengen visa, and you will need to apply to the country which you will visit first (i.e. France in this case), but the visa is then good for all the countries in the Schengen area. Do a search in the Visa section and you will find some very helpful threads. This visa is easier for wives than for GFs.

I am British, I took my wife to Spain she even had a Spanish residents card, she could go to any country in the European union EXCPT the UK and GIBRALTAR 100% When we tried to walk across from Spain into Gibraltar for some shopping we was told to apply in Thailand for a visa. We went in the next day using my old passport, stuff em.post-48448-0-48383900-1309077753_thumb.j

The EU regulations say that any non EU national who has permanent residence in an EU state can visit any other EU state without a visa.

The problem is that the UK does not grant permanent residence; it grants Indefinite Leave to Remain. Although this may appear to be a matter of semantics, there is a difference between the two and I have read of many UK ILR holders being refused entry to another EU state because their UK visa was endorsed 'indefinite' not 'permanent.'

If living in the UK as the family member of a British citizen and wishing to travel to a Schengen state then I would recommend obtaining a Schengen visa first; as the spouse or family member of an EU citizen it will be easy to obtain and free.

Then, once qualified, obtain British citizenship and the problem will be no more.

None of which helps ctp as his girlfriend will be in the UK with a visit visa, and so will need a Schengen visa for The Netherlands; which she must apply for in in her country of residence, presumably Thailand.