Trying To Get A 12 Month Tourist Stay

I am Australian, 34 years old, In a good Job not in Australia, can show decent savings.

I know visas have been done to death on this site, but I still can not find a very simple question, I would like to stay in Thailand for a year, All I can find is a 6 month tourist visa. I am trying to find out if the "12 month validity, multi entry non-immigrant visa" covers tourism. I would like to just settle in to a small condo for a year, I am not aiming to live life on the super cheap, but not planning to go gang busters either and blow life savings, I plan to do some personal study, totally separate from any institution for about 1 year.

If not, is it common for them to re issue a "6 month validity, 2 to 4 entry tourist visa" back to back?

Also wondering what kind of funds they want to see for a 6 months visa?

Also any liks that may answer this would also be a great help. :o

6 month validity, 2 to 4 entry tourist visa[/b]: pre-obtained at a Royal Thai Embassy/Consulate and will result in the holder obtaining a 60 day 'permission to stay' stamp upon entry if from a 30 day visa exempt entry country (listed below) or 30 days if not. If required, this type of visa may normally be extended by 30 days at an immigration office, but after that time the holder must leave the country. The holder may then return to the Kingdom and will obtain a second 60 day 'permission to stay' stamp which can also be extended as previous and then the holder must leave. After the stipulated number of entries the visa is “used”.[/color]

12 month validity, multi entry non-immigrant visa: pre-obtained at a Royal Thai Embassy/Consulate (usually) in your home country and will result in the holder obtaining a 90 day 'permission to stay' stamp upon entry. Each time the holder enters the Kingdom whilst the visa is valid, he/she will obtain a further 90 day 'permission to stay stamp'. Such visas can be issued for students/work/family etc. but normally require supporting documentation. This visa can also be extended up to one year for specific reasons and with the required documentation (see 12 month extensions). :D

Edited by Gobbledoc

A Non Imm O Visa Multi Entry is not available for Tourism. It is for Staying with Thai family, Exploring retirement etc.

However a limited number of consulates will issue one for visiting friends. Dont, know if Aus has any

The Tourist Visa will get you 60 days and can be extended for a further 30 days in Thailand. So if you can get a Triple Entry this will give you around 9 months. Then you can hop over the border and get another Visa.

You say you are not in Australia, if so the best you could hope for would be a Double Entry Tourist Visa from Vientienne Laos.

Edited by Lite Beer

Thanks for confirming the 12 months "0" visa is not for tourism. I don't feel I have any great Thai friends to claim I will be visiting.

All though I am working abroad, I regularly travel to Australia several times a year. Applying in oz is not an issue for me I feel.

LITE BEER Said, "The Tourist Visa will get you 60 days and can be extended for a further 30 days in Thailand. So if you can get a Triple Entry this will give you around 9 months. Then you can hop over the border and get another Visa."

I understand the concept of the 60 day visa, then extended 30 more days inside Thailand at an immigration office to a total of 90 days, then I need to do a cross border visa run to restart the 60+30 day process.

Below is a definition I lifted of 'Thai-Visa' on tourist visas. I understand I am not looking at the first single entry 3 month visa.But I am confused by the second definition of a "6 month validity, 2 to 4 entry tourist visa" and what 'lite Beer' was talking about before with a triple entry. From what I have read on forums, I had the interpretation that this allowed so many entries within a nominated time period, ie, 3 exit and entries allowed within six months, but "Lite Beer" is inferring that it may mean, 60+30day multiplied by 3 times or via entries.

Thanks heaps. :o

3 month validity, single entry tourist visa: pre-obtained at a Royal Thai Embassy/Consulate and will result in the holder obtaining a 60 day 'permission to stay' stamp upon entry. If required, this type of visa may be extended by 30 days at an immigration office, but after that time the holder must leave the country. After one entry, the visa is “used”.

6 month validity, 2 to 4 entry tourist visa: pre-obtained at a Royal Thai Embassy/Consulate and will result in the holder obtaining a 60 day 'permission to stay' stamp upon entry if from a 30 day visa exempt entry country (listed below) or 30 days if not. If required, this type of visa may normally be extended by 30 days at an immigration office, but after that time the holder must leave the country. The holder may then return to the Kingdom and will obtain a second 60 day 'permission to stay' stamp which can also be extended as previous and then the holder must leave. After the stipulated number of entries the visa is “used”.

The 6 month validity a period of 6 months in which times you can activate the several entries you will get. Each time you use one visa, you activate one.

The first entry is on day 1, and you can extend that on day 60 with 30 days. After that you can make use of your second visa, for another for another 60 + 30 days and after that the 3rd visa.

They don't mean the visa is valid for 6 months, but you have to activate each visa within those 6 months, otherwise they are expired.

Thanks Mario2008, that clears allot for me.

I will be able to apply in Australia. Have you heard of them issuing again an another 6 months visa almost straight after the 'approx'9 months expires? Or is that when they start asking allot of questions and consider a person living in Thailand and suspect working?

Thanks heaps.

There is no limit to the times you can apply for a visa and you don't have to do it in Australia. A neighboring country, like Laos, will be fine. You could also make a border run and get 30 days without a visa. You can do this for 3 times in a 180 period. (The rule is 90 days in a 180 day period, but you can only have a maximum of 30 days per entry. 9 times 10 days is also possible.)

The visa exempt entree is free, but you will have to leave the country every 30 days.

Better check here again when you actually need another tourist visa to see which country is the best option for a new visa.

There is no limit to the times you can apply for a visa and you don't have to do it in Australia. A neighboring country, like Laos, will be fine. You could also make a border run and get 30 days without a visa. You can do this for 3 times in a 180 period. (The rule is 90 days in a 180 day period, but you can only have a maximum of 30 days per entry. 9 times 10 days is also possible.)

The visa exempt entree is free, but you will have to leave the country every 30 days.

Better check here again when you actually need another tourist visa to see which country is the best option for a new visa.

The rule is 90 days in a 6 month period

Thanks again Mario,

I am wondering if anyone familiar applying from Australia can help with any input, I have been poking around the Thai site in Australia, and cannot find any reference to at six month validity, I have included 2 links that are relevant below, are these the forms?

Do people generally recommend using expert Thai companies to help with the application?

http://thaisydney.idx.com.au/Consular_serv...sa/Tourist.html

http://thaisydney.idx.com.au/Form_Download/Visa.pdf

Sorry about the mistake with your name Lite beer. Must be because my Thai nick-name is big bear.

The one below is the form. Just indicate you want a triple entry and the consulate will do the rest. You can do that by writing 3X behind the tourist visa box in the right corner. But better call the consulate to see if you can get a 3x. The attached instructions suggest only 2X available.

Edited by Mario2008

Through experience I know that the Royal Thai Consulate in Hull, UK issues Non-Imm "O" visas for "visiting friends". It does not require you to show any evidence substantiating your purpose of visit. All you have to do is sign a Self-Certification Guarantee form confirming you have sufficient funds for your stay in Thailand.

Maybe the Embassy or one of the Consulates in Oz can arrange this visa for you.

Correct. Thanks for pointing out, Little Bear.

Hmmm, methinks someone needs new glasses (or had emptied a few too many glasses of Lite Beer), sorry, couldn't resist :o

Anyway, back on-topic. I seem to remember that Perth would issue a non-o 'family and friends' visa (of course I can't find the thread), anyone confirm with recent experience :D

Edited by Crossy

Correct. Thanks for pointing out, Little Bear.

Hmmm, methinks someone needs new glasses (or had emptied a few too many glasses of Lite Beer), sorry, couldn't resist :o

Anyway, back on-topic. I seem to remember that Perth would issue a non-o 'family and friends' visa (of course I can't find the thread), anyone confirm with recent experience :D

This might be one

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=193458

thanks everyone for this very easy-to-follow discussion on this topic. one of the clearest and most helpful i've seen! :o

i'm wondering, as an american, if i could take advantage of the more generous-sounding consulates in hull or perth? or am i relegated to the good ol us of a to try to get a triple entry visa?

again, thanks for this discussion.

I am Australian, 34 years old, In a good Job not in Australia, can show decent savings.

I know visas have been done to death on this site, but I still can not find a very simple question, I would like to stay in Thailand for a year, All I can find is a 6 month tourist visa. I am trying to find out if the "12 month validity, multi entry non-immigrant visa" covers tourism. I would like to just settle in to a small condo for a year, I am not aiming to live life on the super cheap, but not planning to go gang busters either and blow life savings, I plan to do some personal study, totally separate from any institution for about 1 year.

If not, is it common for them to re issue a "6 month validity, 2 to 4 entry tourist visa" back to back?

6 month validity, 2 to 4 entry tourist visa[/b]: pre-obtained at a Royal Thai Embassy/Consulate and will result in the holder obtaining a 60 day 'permission to stay' stamp upon entry if from a 30 day visa exempt entry country (listed below) or 30 days if not. If required, this type of visa may normally be extended by 30 days at an immigration office, but after that time the holder must leave the country. The holder may then return to the Kingdom and will obtain a second 60 day 'permission to stay' stamp which can also be extended as previous and then the holder must leave. After the stipulated number of entries the visa is "used".[/color]

12 month validity, multi entry non-immigrant visa: pre-obtained at a Royal Thai Embassy/Consulate (usually) in your home country and will result in the holder obtaining a 90 day 'permission to stay' stamp upon entry. Each time the holder enters the Kingdom whilst the visa is valid, he/she will obtain a further 90 day 'permission to stay stamp'. Such visas can be issued for students/work/family etc. but normally require supporting documentation. This visa can also be extended up to one year for specific reasons and with the required documentation (see 12 month extensions). :D

How long before you are due to come to Thailand? If you have time, apply for an APEC Business Travel Card - its good for three years, unlimited multiple entries, 90 days on arrival at airport immigration (of all member countries) and you can come in through the diplomats lane thus avoiding long lines and waiting time.

Do a search on google for APEC business travel card and that will give you a link to the Australian section - you can download the forms from the website and it provides further info and instructions to follow in regards to submitting and processing. The only downside is that it takes a while to process. I had to wait 3 months to get mine as police clearances had to be done in all member countries. Once you get it though, it's bloody brilliant because you can just come and go as you please. I can't for the life of me understand why so many guys from Australia, or New Zealand, continue to jump through bloody hoops with this immigration/visa <deleted> when this very good option is available to you. Anyway, good luck and I hope you enjoy your stay in Thailand when you get here.

MEGA

Hi MEGA,

Awesome info thanks mate.

I leave on 9th aug and applying tomorrow, will I have problems getting into Thailand (I am applying for the APEC Biz Card tomorrow morning)?

James

6 month validity, 2 to 4 entry tourist visa[/b]: pre-obtained at a Royal Thai Embassy/Consulate and will result in the holder obtaining a 60 day 'permission to stay' stamp upon entry if from a 30 day visa exempt entry country (listed below) or 30 days if not. If required, this type of visa may normally be extended by 30 days at an immigration office, but after that time the holder must leave the country. The holder may then return to the Kingdom and will obtain a second 60 day 'permission to stay' stamp which can also be extended as previous and then the holder must leave. After the stipulated number of entries the visa is "used".[/color]

How long before you are due to come to Thailand? If you have time, apply for an APEC Business Travel Card - its good for three years, unlimited multiple entries, 90 days on arrival at airport immigration (of all member countries) and you can come in through the diplomats lane thus avoiding long lines and waiting time.

Do a search on google for APEC business travel card and that will give you a link to the Australian section - you can download the forms from the website and it provides further info and instructions to follow in regards to submitting and processing. The only downside is that it takes a while to process. I had to wait 3 months to get mine as police clearances had to be done in all member countries. Once you get it though, it's bloody brilliant because you can just come and go as you please. I can't for the life of me understand why so many guys from Australia, or New Zealand, continue to jump through bloody hoops with this immigration/visa <deleted> when this very good option is available to you. Anyway, good luck and I hope you enjoy your stay in Thailand when you get here.

MEGA

Edited by jerwin

It is my understanding that the multi entry O visa based on visiting a Thai family,

may be obtained in Brisbane or Perth.

Check with these consulates by e-mail.

PM me if you need a family address. :o

An Australian friend of mine who has dual UK/Aussie passport recently tried to get a non-immigrant visa in Australia, I think from Sydney. he has previously successfully applied for the category O one in the UK, via the consulate in Hull.

Applying in Sydney was a nightmare for him. He tried for an O or ED (had a letter from a dive company stating he would be doing dive master training). They took his application fee (non-refundable) and then turned him down.

I'd suggest you try Perth or Brisbane over Sydney, as has been suggested higher up the thread, in light of his experiences.

Seems to be a different policy for Australian applications vs that in the UK !!!

Good luck

• 2 weeks later...
I can't for the life of me understand why so many guys from Australia, or New Zealand, continue to jump through bloody hoops with this immigration/visa <deleted> when this very good option is available to you

Well I can.

The ABTC (APEC card) is very clearly and very specifically for people who are doing frequent BUSINESS travel in APEC countries, and whilst you may be able to scam one with a bit of creative BS (which you've possibly done), recommending others do this is irresponsible in the extreme. Nothing in the OP's post suggests he can apply for this card in a legitimate capacity. If people abuse this scheme it has the potential to screw it up for everyone.

An Australian friend of mine who has dual UK/Aussie passport recently tried to get a non-immigrant visa in Australia, I think from Sydney. he has previously successfully applied for the category O one in the UK, via the consulate in Hull.

Applying in Sydney was a nightmare for him. He tried for an O or ED (had a letter from a dive company stating he would be doing dive master training). They took his application fee (non-refundable) and then turned him down.

I'd suggest you try Perth or Brisbane over Sydney, as has been suggested higher up the thread, in light of his experiences.

Seems to be a different policy for Australian applications vs that in the UK !!!

Good luck

I was able to obtain a 60from Brisbane by Post and the friendly service much better thanSydney and I am not an Australian.

For those on ashoestring Tiger Air to Darwin then do it by express post 3-4 working days plus postal order total cost around $50 about the price of a few drinks in Sydney!

Good luck

Consuls (who rely on fees are a bit less picky than embassies who get paid regardless)