Is Chiang Mai Worth A Visit?

TrashTalkinJames

I'm still a book addict, so maybe I'll have to come to some accommodation with UG about how many books have to be bought to keep him OK with the rest of us trying to keep CM from becoming just another entertainment strip - but I know he's grown-up about the pro's & cons either way..........

Thanks, but don't worry. If worse came to worse, I'd just shut down a few outlets that I didn't think were worth keeping open anymore. Actually, things are still fine, but all this talk about the collapse of the world economy tends to make me a little nervous. :o

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Chiang Mai is one of the best cities in the world! Those of you who complain about the nightlife or think it finishes early are obviously going to the wrong places!!! distortedlink why don't you <deleted> off out of here if it is that bad instead of sticking around for five years?!?!?!?!

CM is cheap, great for shopping, great for sports, amazing food for veges, vegans and non veges, beautiful scenery, mountains, temples, culture - and best of all a huge choice with something for everyone when it comes to drinking and going out.

True, it has no beach, but then the lake makes a nice alternative.

Where is better?! :o

Chiang Mai , low crime, lots of great places to stay at less than 1/2 of the southern destinations , walking street on sundays , monk chat , sport fishing , doi Inthanon , Doi Pui , the tiger kingdom , night safari , zoo, lunch at the lake chiang mai cultural museum , he bug museum , handicraft centers of Hang Dong San kampaeng and Bo San , trekking , 10 hilltribe cultures within an hour , elephant camps , the conservation center ,the White temple in Chiang Rai , a Khan tok dinner , the night bazaar , the free show in the food court Kalare ,Phuping Palace , Doi Chang , Mae Taeng reservoir houseboats Ekachai , Temples temples temples , Great cultural food , varied nightlife, open friendly people , a friendly Tourist police department, The silver market , a great airport , minutes to anywhere in the city , a pleasant climate , beautiful scenery , many waterfalls , camping , 4 wheeling , the hot springs , bungee jumping , the snake show , the monkey show ( i don't recommend this one ) , Hilltribe museum , horse racing that you can bet t on Saturdays , great golfing , 1 hour flight to Luang Prabang , 1-1/2 hours flight to Siam Reap ,Hanoi or Vientiene , some of the most scenic drives in the world , book shops , top quality ceramics and bronze casting. Silk , and this is off the top of my head none too expensive or more than an hour or two from the old city . no nothing to do around here

The nightlife isn't great, but has enough for a short time. Forget about pool in CM - I've found it to be the worst place to play in Thailand, and I play a lot and have played everywhere. The tables are <deleted> - small, snooker type tables, which make potting difficult for those that are used to American tables ie all but locals. Nowhere beats Bangkok for pool, as long as you avoid the backpacking areas.

:o So dude what your saying is YOU CAN'T PLAY POOL unless its on a BIG ass american table with pockets the size of buckets :D I guess the real reason is you got your ass kicked on our <deleted> tables and could not pot a ball.

We have some excellent pool players here and for sure they would be even better when playing on a table with pockets like the mersey tunnel

I also have played everywhere and in BKK after 4 hours of playing on those big ass pocket tables I get bored and have to retire in the end tired of winning. :D

Anytime you would like a game i will play you on any table you like will be in BKK mid june and also Pattaya looking forward to some easy games on those big tables

You must have a tournament with the Pattaya boys at pool.There is a yearly event where bk play Pattaya,home and away.Each year Pattaya destroys them so i would tend to disagree with you on that score.The top players here are some ex pro snooker players and a couple of brilliant thai guys.Also they live here so we can always put out a very strong team.One guy was the best in phuket when he lived there.The quality is frightening here so lets get it on lol.

Sounds good i am sure we could come up with a team to give you pattaya boys a run for ya money

If you like Pattaya or something like Patong Beach in Phuket, don't come to Chiang Mai, because it wouldn't be for you.

The wildest bar streets in Chiang Mai can't match a sidestreet i Pattaya.

But if you want to get away from all that, have the conveniences of a big city without most of the big cities disadvantages then I don't know any better place in Thailand.

I just stayed in Pattaya for 4 days (family visit). 4 days in Pattaya was to much for me. Both me and my family was glad to get away from that place.

We are now back in Chiang Mai, where we will spend the rest of our vacation (3 weeks).

Edited by Kaysfeld

thanks for the replies and laughs some of them gave me.

it sounds worth a visit. I don't like Pattaya or Patong beach much, don't get me wrong I like my birds and a few beers but it's just a bit too hectic and too many <deleted> around for more than a few days.

checking out hill tribes etc. sounds pretty good as day excursions, then beers and pool at night.

also, I believe it's possible to fly to Laos from CM, right?

thanks again

it sounds worth a visit. I don't like Pattaya or Patong beach much, don't get me wrong I like my birds and a few beers but it's just a bit too hectic and too many <deleted> around for more than a few days.

checking out hill tribes etc. sounds pretty good as day excursions, then beers and pool at night.

thanks again

The Lao Air Lines flights to Luang Prabang are here. You fly on to Vientiane from there. Or get the bus, which is a stunning trip.

We booked into a hotel in Pattaya for 3 nights....stayed one, that was enough for us.

I was having the same converstaion about why CM is better than anywhere else with another TV member a few nights ago, and we both agreed that Chiang Mai has absolutley everything we need.

Some of the islands and costal areas ARE very beautiful, and when I see them I think "Wow wouldn't it be great to wake up in the morning and look at the expansive ocean then go for a long walk with the dog on the beach"...heaven.....

But it does not last ...the novelty wears off after a while, then I would be left bored as the infrastructure in most of these beauty spots is not as good as CM.....hospitals are always a concern for me and being too far away from any decent ones would not be helpful, plus no cinema, the added expense...(a one hour massage is twice the price that it is in CM for instance) plus the low cost of food, the convenience of so many Rim Ping or Topps Markets so I don't go without my creature food comforts, nice "trouble free" bars....(mostly)

As I am not a "Night Owl" the fact that some Posters find CM's nightlife limited does not bother me, I prefer it the way it is.

and then of of course, the mindset of Chinag Mai Thais .......you can't beat 'The Chiang Mai Smile":o and when most of them smile...they actually mean it !!

Also there is a great ex-pat community here -if you want to be part of it, and there is so much to do and see if you want to, no time for boredom unless you choose it.

My only nark is the weather in March and April, planning to get away from it next year for those months if I can. If I can't then I will just put up with it

So as you can tell CM works for me :D

Absolutely spot on TP. I agree with all you say about CM and also did a bale out of a 4 night stay in Pattaya after one night (I was with the sprog & missus).

Different strokes e.t.c but CM has suited me down to the ground for the past 3 years and I see no reason why that will change.

Cheers,

Pikey.

thanks again

The Lao Air Lines flights to Luang Prabang are here. You fly on to Vientiane from there. Or get the bus, which is a stunning trip.

thanks for that mate, appreciated.

I'l probably spend 3-4 days in CM then head for L.Prabang by air, or maybe try an adventure down the Mekong towards Viantiene. :o

We booked into a hotel in Pattaya for 3 nights....stayed one, that was enough for us.

I was having the same converstaion about why CM is better than anywhere else with another TV member a few nights ago, and we both agreed that Chiang Mai has absolutley everything we need.

Some of the islands and costal areas ARE very beautiful, and when I see them I think "Wow wouldn't it be great to wake up in the morning and look at the expansive ocean then go for a long walk with the dog on the beach"...heaven.....

But it does not last ...the novelty wears off after a while, then I would be left bored as the infrastructure in most of these beauty spots is not as good as CM.....hospitals are always a concern for me and being too far away from any decent ones would not be helpful, plus no cinema, the added expense...(a one hour massage is twice the price that it is in CM for instance) plus the low cost of food, the convenience of so many Rim Ping or Topps Markets so I don't go without my creature food comforts, nice "trouble free" bars....(mostly)

As I am not a "Night Owl" the fact that some Posters find CM's nightlife limited does not bother me, I prefer it the way it is.

and then of of course, the mindset of Chinag Mai Thais .......you can't beat 'The Chiang Mai Smile":o and when most of them smile...they actually mean it !!

Also there is a great ex-pat community here -if you want to be part of it, and there is so much to do and see if you want to, no time for boredom unless you choose it.

My only nark is the weather in March and April, planning to get away from it next year for those months if I can. If I can't then I will just put up with it

So as you can tell CM works for me :D

Well put!! Just to add one thing: Smile first, or at least smile back!

Can I add the question, "When is the best time to visit Chiang Mai ?" since someone just asked me precisely that, plus "Is Christmas a good time to visit ?"

My own thoughts were to reply : First, absolutely don't visit in March/April. Yes, Christmas is a good time. It should be a little cooler in the daytime (though you may still find it hot). In the mornings and evenings there's a chance you'll be slightly chilly in a light shirt.

Personally, I like the rainy season as the vegetation is at its lushest and the rain showers bring a little variety and relief from the heat, but the rain could cause a little disruption to outings.

I'd add that some people consider there's been some change in the hot/rainy/cool season pattern, making it a little more difficult to predict the weather in a given month. (Agree or not?)

I'd like to include a link to a good weather/climate site showing the usual temp/rainfall pattern over the year, going back 2 or 3 years for comparison. I *had* a link to such a website but cannot find it now. Any recommendations ?

What do you think ? Would like to reply in a paragraph or less :o.

Are there important factors other than weather to consider for visits at Christmas (festivals or prices or anything else) ?

Thank you.

Edited by sylviex

Christmas is a great time to visit CM.

The weather is cool and dry.

But it's high season....flights and accomodation can be expensive...best to book early if you are planning to visit between the begining of November and the end of February.

Hope this reply is not to long winded LOL

I reckon end of October/November is a good time as you still have the lush vegetation, the waterfalls are still flowing, the air is still clear and it's not too hot. Not sure if it's airline high season or not though. For weather, I use http://www.tmd.go.th/en/region.php?RegionID=1 for near-time stuff but I don't know of any historical info.

Cheers,

Pikey.

Yes; sorry, Thai Pauly. My thoughts had wandered off on a bit of a tangent :o .

High season :

Highest volume of tourists (so book early - OK )

Higher prices - effect on total costs might be a consideration - can anyonone hazard a guess on average % increase during high season ??).

I'l probably spend 3-4 days in CM then head for L.Prabang by air, or maybe try an adventure down the Mekong towards Viantiene. :o

for what it's worth mate, i highly recommend the slow boat ride to luang prabang if you have the time. two days and one night on the mekong down through amazing landscape to LP. i loved it.

Edited by StevieH

for what it's worth mate, i highly recommend the slow boat ride to luang prabang if you have the time. two days and one night on the mekong down through amazing landscape to LP. i loved it.

I'll second that. Did the trip 18 months ago and thought it was a great experience.

i highly recommend the slow boat ride to luang prabang if you have the time. two days and one night on the mekong down through amazing landscape to LP. i loved it.

Sounds lovely Stevie. Please, which agency did you book with?

Thank you.

Maybe it has gotten better in the last 10 years.

When I did it, I was bored to death, my butt hurt from the small wooden benches, there was no place to use the toilet and I couldn't read with out feeling sick.

Eventually our big, slow boat flipped over in the night losing many people's belongings and we had to be resued by a boat passing by. When we got to Luang Prabang we found that our experience was fairly common. I would never take that trip again if there were any other way to do it. :o

I've been to Bangkok, Samui, Phuket etc. before and it's all good, and fancy trying somewhere different for a few days. I'm interested in seeing historical stuff but more interested in playing pool, meeting people, beers etc. Would you say Chiang Mai is more 'off the beaten track' than those aforementioned places? I found there too many backpacking muppets in Bangkok.

also, is there much to do on day tours in the area?

p.s i'm a single 28 year old male, would be travelling alone.

thanks in advance for any advice.

I wouldn't bother going - it's dullsville, with neither the advantages of a big city or those of a small country town. It's nightlife sends you to sleep, which is good as it finishes early, transport except to the standard places, atrocious, and the farangs rather sad (hence the darts league thingy mentioned here). There are some interesting looking tours to the surrounding countryside but they are so well-trodden, even the guides seem bored with the whole thing. If the pool, beer thing doesn't get boring after the first night, the provincial farangs certainly will. And this is a compliment to the little place.

I have lived in Chiang Mai for the last 5 years and what Tyke says just about sums it up.

If you want to be bored out your skull, than come to Chiang Mai.

Yes, you certainly have the right name "distorted link". If you have been in CM for 5 years and find it boring then you should attempt to open your eyes and explore it. CM and surrounding areas has an abundance to see/do. How on earth can you say that you are "bored out of your skull" in CM?? Unbelieveable and certainly a most distorted link, well done.

Sounds lovely Stevie. Please, which agency did you book with?

Thank you.

any agency will offer you the same thing, jazzed. air con minibus to chiang khong, six hours through beautiful landscape, then one night's accomodation in chiang khong followed by the two day boat trip and one night stopover in pak beng all for about 1,500 baht. the staff at the guest house in chiang khong will also sort out the paperwork for your laos visa for you.