Where Are The Seagulls?

Tornado

A mate of mine, bought this up the other day.

Why is'nt there any seagulls in Thailand? I have never seen one, have you?

Seagulls in Thailand are mainly migratory - they arrive around November.

You will see them in many places around the Gulf of Thailand but try a visit to the Seafood Restaurant opposite the Bangpoo Industrial Estate in Samutprakarn - it's on the end of a long pier jutting out into the estuary; the seafood is excellent but the menu on weekends is limited because there are so many customers.

You also get great views of the Gulls (mainly Brown Headed Gulls but in winter plumage of course - so no Brown head!), Terns and assorted Waders etc..

A mate of mine, bought this up the other day.

Why is'nt there any seagulls in Thailand? I have never seen one, have you?

You will see them in many places around the Gulf of Thailand but try a visit to the Seafood Restaurant opposite the Bangpoo Industrial Estate in Samutprakarn - it's on the end of a long pier jutting out into the estuary; the seafood is excellent but the menu on weekends is limited because there are so many customers.

You also get great views of the Gulls (mainly Brown Headed Gulls but in winter plumage of course - so no Brown head!), Terns and assorted Waders etc..

Thanks for that PB.

I have lived in Phuket for quite a few years and never seen one here. Beaches, sun, seafood, but no seagulls. My mate reckons the locals ate them all :o

Very interesting and knowledgable reply - thanks.

I have also seen the gulls in the BangPoo restaurant - thousands of them at around 6 pm, this was in January. Got some great pictures of them!

Agree with Totster.

Seagulls and pigeons = Rats with wings..... filthy!   :ph34r:

Yep. I live near the sea, and they are rodents. They go through your rubbish and their <deleted> burns the paint on your car.

I would agree that (feral) Pigeons have few if any redeeming qualities - I shudder when I see children feeding them in Parks etc., heaven knows what parasites they are transferring.

Gulls however do perform a very useful scavenging function and contribute quite a lot to cleaning up refuse, dead seabirds and other material.

Agree with Totster.

Seagulls and pigeons = Rats with wings..... filthy!   :o

Yep. I live near the sea, and they are rodents. They go through your rubbish and their <deleted> burns the paint on your car.

I would agree that (feral) Pigeons have few if any redeeming qualities - I shudder when I see children feeding them in Parks etc., heaven knows what parasites they are transferring.

Gulls however do perform a very useful scavenging function and contribute quite a lot to cleaning up refuse, dead seabirds and other material.

lots of big brown ones on the beaches of pattaya and jomtien squawking at you with offers of massages,icecreams,shirts,shorts,girls,manicures,pedicures etc etc

Youngsters will have brown feathers, the gulls turn white at around a year old.

They migrated from Canada in wintertime up until the early seventies. My dad did not believe one year when I pointed to a seagull perched on a log on the river,in the middle of winter. From then on, more and more stayed for winter each year. They adapted somehow to the cold. They are all over now and it seems their population has grown along with the advent of fast food chains in the seventies...

Winged rats, same goes for pigeons.

There was an attempt to control the population of gulls and pigeons but that was stopped quickly by animal rights activists. May they all get birdsh1t on their heads, or salad...

...I would agree that (feral) Pigeons have few if any redeeming qualities - I shudder when I see children feeding them in Parks etc., heaven knows what parasites they are transferring.....

The park next to the Emporium on Sukhumvit Road bkk - Benjasiri Park - actually stinks of bird shit. The ground is covered in it, and when I used to go to feed the turtles, I had to tread very carefully not to slip up on all the bird shit, but also to avoid treading on the pigeons that surrounded me thinking I was there to feed them. It used to annoy me when I was sitting in a quiet spot, and then some person next to me would start feeding the pigeons and I would have to suffer the smell as they swooped down and blanketed the area.