Music At The Good View

Rasseru

I'm posting this as a recommendation.

Last month my wife and I felt like checking out some live music and stopped in, more or less by chance, at The Good View, located on the Ping River just a few hundred meters north of the Thapae Bridge.

There were two bands playing there that night, and they were both amazingly good. They both had great musical sense and taste and a lot of talent, and clearly loved and were having fun with what they were doing. They played a wide range of popular music, mostly Western but with some Thai pieces too, including rock, R&B, soul, reggae and plain old pop music. They played pieces by Amy Winehouse, Radiohead, James Brown, U2 and others I cannot remember. Both bands were entertaining and charming. Mostly this grew out of a low-key improvised sense of fun, with little dance moves and glances among themselves and the audience, but some times, especially in the case of the singers, they would go a bit further than that. It was in no way a formal 'show', mostly just an infectious playfulness, acted out in an improvised way by musicians who were, as I said, having a lot of fun. Both bands had drums, keyboards, bass and guitar (one of the bands had two guitarists) and most of the musicians also took turns singing, both lead and backup. Both bands also had two female lead vocalists, neither of whom was on stage all the time, and one of the bands had a male vocalist on stage much of the time too. He was especially good with soul, R&B and reggae pieces.

We loved the evening we spent listening to these bands so much that we have been back three more times since. The same groups were there every time we went and they only got better. They seem to be house bands who play there all the time, but I don't know that for certain and it could be that they are only there for a month or two or some such.

In any case, I cannot assure you that these bands will be there long (although my sense is that they will), but I highly recommend them to anyone interested in this kind of music scene.

Edited by Rasseru

Man, you are right.

Went there tonight and both bands are very good.

Excellent!

Some very good jazz and comtemparary.

I was impressed. Although they ( either band ) wouldn't play any Mothers of Inventions ( Frank Zappa )

:o

I'll be back!

The wife and I also went there tonight for dinner.

Menu was great, food lived up to the menu, the view of the river was good (must be how they got their name...). The place is surprisingly large and we were wedged right in the middle of multiple tour groups and office parties so we could barely hear the band above all the chatter. We did stop to listen to the band on the way out and they were, meh, ok. As a musician I'm always hyper-sensitive to such things - I just can not stand it when I hear a C7 instead of (the correct) Cmaj7. I would place the band right in the middle of the pack of the hundreds of bar bands I've heard over the years. Not bad but not so good. They might have scored higher in my book if they had not played Hotel California - why oh why does every bar band in the world have to play that song?!

It's a cool place, I will definitely will go back again soon, but I'll sit at the bar for a better listen and hopefully a better band.

The music venue at the Good View is always good,

Two years ago there was a band doing Fleetwood and Queen covers, awesom,

IMHO this has always been one of the best places in CM for music, food, drinks, :o

Edited by cobra

Menu was great, food lived up to the menu, the view of the river was good (must be how they got their name...). The place is surprisingly large and we were wedged right in the middle of multiple tour groups and office parties so we could barely hear the band above all the chatter. We did stop to listen to the band on the way out and they were, meh, ok. As a musician I'm always hyper-sensitive to such things - I just can not stand it when I hear a C7 instead of (the correct) Cmaj7. I would place the band right in the middle of the pack of the hundreds of bar bands I've heard over the years. Not bad but not so good. They might have scored higher in my book if they had not played Hotel California - why oh why does every bar band in the world have to play that song?!

It's a cool place, I will definitely will go back again soon, but I'll sit at the bar for a better listen and hopefully a better band.

It seems to be the national anthem of Thailand.

I just wanna puke whenever I hear it...thank god they haven't heard or like "Stairway to heaven"

I hate that one too.

See, I'm not a musician, so the more I drink the better they sound..even with the killing of the english language.

I did see all the farang tour groups..we were sitting out in the corner and then moved to the bar. :o

.......They might have scored higher in my book if they had not played Hotel California - why oh why does every bar band in the world have to play that song?!

I just wanna puke whenever I hear it....

It's not just Thailand. I think it's worldwide. Maybe that piece of schlock is just very easy to play?

I dream of an international movement to boo softly (at first) whenever a band starts it.

Glad you enjoyed your time at The Goodview, gpdjohn and clokwise, and sorry, clokwise, that you did not (that is, were not able to) enjoy the music part of it more. I should perhaps have mentioned it in my first post, but like gpdjohn, I am fortunate in not being a musician (fortunate, that is, in this case; it was one of my dreams in life to be a musician, before my efforts toward that end were confronted decisively by an unignorable lack of talent).

Also, there was no playing of Hotel California any of the times I was there, so I didn't have to suffer through that. I'd advise a little generosity on that front, though, as both bands get and play a lot of audience requests. I have trouble imagining that they would choose of their own accord to play that particular tune.

Finally, I did not think about it at the time, but every time we've gone to watch these bands, we've sat at the bar or one of the tables right in front. On reflection, yes, that would have to make the whole experience a lot more fun.

Edited by Rasseru

IMHO this has always been one of the best places in CM for music, food, drinks, :o

It has always been my favorite also. A good meal, good music and a few glasses of wine makes for a pleasant family evening.

Yes the GoodView is great!

I love the food & music there. My wife is a CM native she took me there & also the other restaurants near by are great too. Riverside & brassieres? I think was the name??

I have since read that the riverside has moved across the street.

We are home in Hawaii now & I miss those places. We will be back & Im sure that is one of the 1st places we will go for dinner.

Glad you enjoyed your time at The Goodview, gpdjohn and clokwise, and sorry, clokwise, that you did not (that is, were not able to) enjoy the music part of it more. I should perhaps have mentioned it in my first post, but like gpdjohn, I am fortunate in not being a musician (fortunate, that is, in this case; it was one of my dreams in life to be a musician, before my efforts toward that end were confronted decisively by an unignorable lack of talent).

Also, there was no playing of Hotel California any of the times I was there, so I didn't have to suffer through that. I'd advise a little generosity on that front, though, as both bands get and play a lot of audience requests. I have trouble imagining that they would choose of their own accord to play that particular tune.

Finally, I did not think about it at the time, but every time we've gone to watch these bands, we've sat at the bar or one of the tables right in front. On reflection, yes, that would have to make the whole experience a lot more fun.

Yeah, I always wished I could have been a musician.

At least when I have had to much to drink, I think I can play and sing just like David Gilmore! :o:D

post-46099-1214446296.gif

post-46099-1214446320.jpg

At least when I have had to much to drink, I think I can play and sing just like David Gilmore! :o:D

I'm thinking you must not ever have that much to drink. Me, if I were in that frame of mind, I would pick as my fantasy object someone who can really play and sing. :D

I'm thinking you must not ever have that much to drink. Me, if I were in that frame of mind, I would pick as my fantasy object someone who can really play and sing. :D

Hey !! :D

Gilmore is hot & his early work was killer too. Ever hear him play standing around crying? Yeah his singing is not where its at but his guitar playing mmmmm :D

Could it have changed so much? We were last in the Goodview in April (Riverside was full), and the food was ordinary at best! Very bland and first time I have ever sent food back in Thailand! They couldnt even produce a spicy Tom Yum!

I mentioned it to a couple of friends and they agreed with my coments about the food and had stopped going to Goodview.

Iain

Menu was great, food lived up to the menu, the view of the river was good (must be how they got their name...).

Sorry Rasseru, should have left it at the music, but the above from Clockwise was misleading.

Iain

Could it have changed so much? We were last in the Goodview in April (Riverside was full), and the food was ordinary at best! Very bland and first time I have ever sent food back in Thailand! They couldnt even produce a spicy Tom Yum!

I mentioned it to a couple of friends and they agreed with my coments about the food and had stopped going to Goodview.

Iain

My sentiments too. IMHO The Goodview has been a place to go & drink, listen to music & enjoy the views, but not to have a meal. The food was not that great, but maybe it's improved significantly now?

I went then for the music after reading Rasseru's thread.

The unit wanted some grub, so I apeased it. It is nothing to rant about, just another Thai joint ( and somewhat expensive..our cost was 800Bt..)

After, we moved to the bar next to the bands, by the front entrance.

The unit consumed numerous mixed cocktails and I stuck the 'ol JD & water's ( not branch water from Lynchburg, so sad )

Was kinda expensive, but what the heck..I'm retired and worth over a million.

I had to get the security guy to kick start the 'old Vespa since I parked across the street in front of the gas station at a angle..sometimes it's like an ol woman trying to start and last time it broke my foot.

Didn't want that again.

Overall, I had a good time..

I did enjoy the music. Quite a bit actually.

The food..

So..so.

Seems to be a hit with the tourists, maybe that's why the high end prices, or is it sitting next to the "liver"??

The wife and i went there last month following visits to the Riverside & Brassiere which in my opinion are much better for food and music than the Goodview. I was also amazed that the Goodview only sold Thai beer and had no selection of local beers such as Hieneken or Tiger.

There is a guy called 'Took' who plays late in the Brassiere, which he also owns and he is probably the best lead guitarist in Thailand. His backing band were also fantastic, so if you like Rock and Blues this is the bar to visit.

His rendition of Hendrix 'Voodoo Child was utterly amazing.

Cheers, Rick

I just wanna puke whenever I hear it...thank god they haven't heard or like "Stairway to heaven"

I hate that one too.

See, I'm not a musician, so the more I drink the better they sound..even with the killing of the english language.

I did see all the farang tour groups..we were sitting out in the corner and then moved to the bar. :o

I think you should consider yourself lucky until someone plays Zombie by the Cranberries. On this side of the world that is.

There is a guy called 'Took' who plays late in the Brassiere, which he also owns and he is probably the best lead guitarist in Thailand. His backing band were also fantastic, so if you like Rock and Blues this is the bar to visit.

I have been to see Took at least four or five times over the last couple of years and like him very, very much. What he and the guys who play with him do, though, is very different from what the bands at The Good View that are the subject of this thread do. Musically more skillful and amazing, yes, but The Good View bands (wish I knew their names) have a pure pleasure and fun factor -- a kind of lightness -- that is very different and, for me at least, sometimes preferable to what can be a heavy and intense seriousness down the street at the Brasserie. Only sometimes, though.

The wife and i went there last month following visits to the Riverside & Brassiere which in my opinion are much better for food and music than the Goodview. I was also amazed that the Goodview only sold Thai beer and had no selection of local beers such as Hieneken or Tiger.

Cheers, Rick

Hieneken (Heineken) a Local beer? I always thought it is Dutch of origin

I think that he means brewed locally. I.e. cheap! :o

Cheers, Rick

Sorry spelling i have been drinking too much Heineken. They call it local because it's brewed under license in Thailand. I also questioned this local term the first time i heard it.

Cheers, Rick

Cheers, Rick

I think that he means brewed locally. I.e. cheap! :o

I am far from cheap Ulysses G. I just don't drink Chang or Singha because it tastes like 'horse piss' and is in fact cheaper than Heineken

Cheers, Rick

Cheers, Rick

Sorry spelling i have been drinking too much Heineken. They call it local because it's brewed under license in Thailand. I also questioned this local term the first time i heard it.

Cheers, Rick

Definitely "local beer". wonder if Heineken in the west would taste the same? or brewed here with a little taste difference to suit the market? Just wondering..