Thai Bank Account And 90 Day Rule

After arriving in Thailand from U.S.A. on a retirement visa, I will have to open an account for 800,000 baht to satisfy immigration rules. Since it may take several days to accomplish this, how does this affect me when I go to immigration 90 days later, but can only show that I have had an account for less than 90 days - perhaps 80 or 85 days or so? I just don't know how long it might take to transfer funds, and officially show the required amount in the bank.

Does anyone know if I can walk into a Thai bank with a certified check from an American bank and open an account. Even if I could it would still take a while for the check to clear, so I am back to my original question.

Have I misinterpreted this requirement? Is it actually that I will not be required to have the 800,000 baht in an account until 90 days before I decide to extend which would be a year later after entering Thailand? In that case there would be plenty of time to take care of everything.

Have I misinterpreted this requirement? Is it actually that I will not be required to have the 800,000 baht in an account until 90 days before I decide to extend which would be a year later after entering Thailand? In that case there would be plenty of time to take care of everything.

If you are arriving with a "OA" visa you will not need to show the 800k in the bank or (the 65k funds) which ever method you are using for proof of funds until you apply for visa extension and if you work it right you can extend your visa by crossing the border prior to the end of the year and receive another year. This is based on your saying that you will arrive with "OA" visa.

1. A "retirement" visa is a long stay non immigrant OA visa issued with police clearance/medical and allowing a one year stay on entry. You use money in home country bank. No problem if this is what you have as money will not be needed for almost nine months (or over 20 months if you use a multi entry OA wisely).

2. Believe you plan to use a single entry non immigrant O visa that provides a 90 day stay. That will not allow time to use the 800k bank account method for extension of stay so you would either have to obtain a second entry/convert or use a combination of 65k monthly income with bank deposit to remove the three month rule.

3. A check will take 3-6 weeks to clear. Much better you arrange ability to wire transfer by fax/phone or internet prior to your departure from US and once you set up account send the information for transfer - normally 12 hours to Bangkok Bank if you time it right.

4. For retirement they are very allowing and you can convert from a 30 day visa exempt stamp or a normal tourist visa for an extra 2,000 baht if you have 21 days or more remaining on your permitted to stay stamp.

5. If you do not want to obtain the OA visa prior to travel you might try to obtain a multi entry non immigrant O visa for 90 day stays for one year. You can then change to one year extension of stay during the last 30 days of any entry.

1. A "retirement" visa is a long stay non immigrant OA visa issued with police clearance/medical and allowing a one year stay on entry. You use money in home country bank. No problem if this is what you have as money will not be needed for almost nine months (or over 20 months if you use a multi entry OA wisely).

2. Believe you plan to use a single entry non immigrant O visa that provides a 90 day stay. That will not allow time to use the 800k bank account method for extension of stay so you would either have to obtain a second entry/convert or use a combination of 65k monthly income with bank deposit to remove the three month rule.

3. A check will take 3-6 weeks to clear. Much better you arrange ability to wire transfer by fax/phone or internet prior to your departure from US and once you set up account send the information for transfer - normally 12 hours to Bangkok Bank if you time it right.

4. For retirement they are very allowing and you can convert from a 30 day visa exempt stamp or a normal tourist visa for an extra 2,000 baht if you have 21 days or more remaining on your permitted to stay stamp.

5. If you do not want to obtain the OA visa prior to travel you might try to obtain a multi entry non immigrant O visa for 90 day stays for one year. You can then change to one year extension of stay during the last 30 days of any entry.

Thanks for the clarification. It's what I suspected after further study. Guess I should have done my home work first before asking. Thanks again.

If you are arriving with a "OA" visa you will not need to show the 800k in the bank or (the 65k funds) which ever method you are using for proof of funds until you apply for visa extension and if you work it right you can extend your visa by crossing the border prior to the end of the year and receive another year. This is based on your saying that you will arrive with "OA" visa.

Thanks for taking the time to respond.