English Speaking University In Bangkok

whatchamacallit

If it's so crap, why are you going there?

I dont know if the guy is still going there but I DID 2 years ago and QUIT very soon afterwards. Reasons? read what Steele404 has written. It's pretty much everything I want to say about this uni.

Edited by vorei

I'm afraid that I concur with the negative majority opinion re. the quality of ABAC education and its students here.

Based on personal experience?

The post by MrSnrang seems plausible. I'm sure it's not the best university there is, but at my last job ABAC graduates were valued and it was quite a prestigious and successful company. I've heard many Thai employers bragging about how they have ABAC graduates on their staff. Seems it's not all bad. Or even if it does suck, the fact that it's graduates have to be fairly good in English helps them get jobs above those who only graduated from a Thai program (not sure if ABAC has Thai program but thought not).

• 4 weeks later...
Our son will be graduating from an International School here in Pattaya this year - we would like to keep him here in Thailand. He is planning to major in Business Management, International Business, Finance, or IT. Any suggestions which university in Bangkok (with farang faculty) we should look into?

In my idea and experience, for major Bussiness I think you should try to look at University of The Thai Chamber of Commerce , they have BBA international program.

http://www.utccbizschool.com/bba/Home/tabid/107/Default.aspx

the website of this University :

http://www2.utcc.ac.th/

• 7 months later...

hi there! my name is Zijo, and im currently working for Bangkok University! and a student too! if you guys have any questions, please do not hesitate to ask me and my group members! we are the BU idol team!

for further information please visit bangkok university website and click BUidol on the right of the screen. for your information, me and Makoto are the two international PR. so if you want to get more information, please add our msn and live chat. thank you very much!!

sawaddi krub! :o

post-79872-1238063414_thumb.jpg

My niece is at MUIC (Mahidol University International College) and it is very high standard.

Faculty include some Thai and many foreign, not 100% foreign, but level is quite high.

It is over in Salaya (near Buttamonthon) so depending on where you live in Bangkok may not be so convenient for him to go to living at home, but on the other hand Salay is a nice small town with lots of student accomodation (5,000 baht/mo being usual ratein private dorms) and thus a good spot for a kid to get used to living on their own a bit whithout getting into much trouble. Definitely not a party school, the kids work hard.

• 2 months later...

I'm at ABAC. dont go there. i'm having an ongoing battle with them to change my english grade because they messed it up and lost the evidence that i passed...

great facilities but you really need to ask yourself whether you will put up with the hassle in order to use the production studio.

If your son intends to remain in Thailand then the choice should be Chula or Tammasat. These are the 'ivy league' of Thailand Universities. The names itself will open doors.

The international school fo Ramkhamheang is also very good. The closest thing Thailand has to a western style Univ. basically instead of being an extention of highschool, the kids have to push themselves to do the work and attend classes. just like a western Univ.

Our son will be graduating from an International School here in Pattaya this year - we would like to keep him here in Thailand. He is planning to major in Business Management, International Business, Finance, or IT. Any suggestions which university in Bangkok (with farang faculty) we should look into?

Chula, Thammasat or Mahidol. In that order. Theres also always ABAC.

I've studied at Thammasat and its a good university and close to western standards.

DO NOT go to ABAC. you can take a look at it, but trust me, i graduated high school 4 years ago and a lot of my friends went there and transferred out because it is a school with very low standards.

whoever said about kids hanging out in groups, it's true. college kids do that everywhere, but in ABAC it's more a segregation issue, so i wouldn't call that the same thing as hanging out and meeting new people.

with regards to having a good reputation with employers, i doubt your son, who has graduated from an international school will have any trouble with his english when employers approach him in the future. merely sending him to ABAC just because of good word of mouth information is not good enough.

i would strongly urge you to check out chula, it is the best university in thailand, and it ranks amongst the top universities in the world. the times higher education ranks of 2008 ranks it as 166th in the world, up from 233rd in 2007.

that is my opinion, you might have a different one, and so will your son, but what you should do is go to all of these universities with your son and let him take a look at them himself, because eventually he'll be the one studying and he needs to feel comfortable.

good luck with the search.

• 3 weeks later...

not that is entirely relevant, my battle with ABAC is still on going about changing my grade. apparently they reserve the right to give me any grade in english they choose. i'm sure we can all see that i am only capable of speaking english on a C+ level in a thai school.....

we really need to have a thread on ABAC, i could write so much about that "school"....

• 2 weeks later...

I'm English and I'm a graduate of ABAC, having graduated with Honours. You can take it from me that, having spent four years of my life there, and as someone who had attended English schools all of his life prior, the education and student life in ABAC is very good. I had absolutely no problem getting a job afterwards and ABAC graduates traditionally do not stay unemployed for very long. Telling potential employers that I went to ABAC always gets a positive response. It is very, very well respected amongst recruiters. I now work for an international news wire overseas (one of the world's largest). All of my friends have gone on to top jobs or to study their Masters in the UK, USA or Australia. The Burmese teachers have PERFECT English pronunciation, and the Indian teachers speak it brilliantly. The Thais sometimes have problems understanding their accents, but for those with English as a first language, it is very, very clear. The campus is amongst the most beautiful in Asia. It was a great learning environment, and the best time of my life. I graduated in 2007.

not that is entirely relevant, my battle with ABAC is still on going about changing my grade. apparently they reserve the right to give me any grade in english they choose. i'm sure we can all see that i am only capable of speaking english on a C+ level in a thai school.....

we really need to have a thread on ABAC, i could write so much about that "school"....

You will find that red-tape is alive and well in most Asian universities. You cannot single out ABAC on this. I have studied on exchange at other Asian universities and find it to be similar to the frustrations you find at ABAC.

It's about exam technique and theoretical knowledge (something that native speakers are often not very good at). Quite possible that you only got C+, I have seen it happen to other native English speakers and it wasn't because of a marking mix up!

Edited by madjbs

• 2 weeks later...

It's about exam technique and theoretical knowledge (something that native speakers are often not very good at). Quite possible that you only got C+, I have seen it happen to other native English speakers and it wasn't because of a marking mix up!

the irony of the whole situation is that i took their official english placement test and they said i was exempted from english class, so i didnt need to go to class, and i didnt need to write any exams. however they still made me pay for it...