Corrupt thai airways

Bob Chittie

Most people posting on this site are not regulat travellers by air, they come to Thailand and 'Turn On, Tune In, And drop out'. Thai Airways TG are awful. The cabin crew are the worst in the world, not my opinion FACT see www.cabincrewballoons.com  and they are all corrupt. I agree with the Rolex watch thread and why should I stand and self serve myself in economy when I've paid £500!!

Dr Ping-Pong you still do not understand, this angst is not against the L.O.S. it is against an airline, I'll stay here a few more years yet, or until visa fees drive me to Cambodia!

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ok Wilson, pay £500 a ticket and wait 40 minutes for a beer each time you want one, or just join the "Farang Pub" at the back of the plane and have a beer when you want.

Anyway the topic of conversation I've had when doing "self-service" is amazing, it's like this forum without the winer's and mourners not forgetting the exercise of "stretching your legs" and "constant arm movement".

Cheers

Sev

:laugh:

Surely Sev,

I agree that it is far better to do self service on TG flights, and enjoy a chat with wanderers and stretch ones legs, but far better to enjoy the services of a better airline. I travelled with JAL a few weeks ago and they were superb, attentive polite and I was offered more drinks in 6 hours than I could handle. Excellent! JAL are for me in S.E. Asia!

must say i'm a little surprised by all the complaints about thai.. they're certainly not the best airline in the world, (yes singapore and emirates are way better) but compared to most european and u.s. airlines, service is better. i used to fly around 10 times a year from the u.s. to asia on nw (north worst!), and compared to them thai is much better. also, it's a lot easier to fly thai when you live in bkk with more direct flights. anyway, best airline in the world in my opinion: emirates.

tripxcore & LPCustom69,

Yeah she is great. :o  That's my mate!  heheh  She is still intraining with the internal flights at the moment but will soon go on international ones.

Unfortunately, she's already got a bf who is equally as nice and as great.   :cool:   Oh, well..... it's always the case, isn't it!?  

Anyhow, I enjoyed reading the dicussion and I hope some of you guys who have had bad experience with the airline will come across a nice set of crew soon (if you still use it, that is... heheheh).  

I once flew back to England with Thai International.  I had a hugeeeee hangover (wild wild night before the flight-stupid idea).  I couldn't eat anything and just wanted to die right there.  heheh  Fortunately, the flight attendants at that time were exceptionally kind to me and keep giving me rehydrating drinks & titbits to stop me feeling so sick.  That was one of the best crew I've ever had the fortune to meet.  :D  I am aware that there are lots of complaints as well though.

It seems like a worthy discussion to me. Its not simply winging as some would have us believe. I mean this is a board for discussions right? So we're discussing our experiences with TG and to some extent, corruption's effect on the everyday person.

I don't exactly know what the Dr. disagrees with. That TG's service towards non-whites is not up to par? That most of TG's flight attendants are hired in large part because of their Father's and Boyfriend's conenctions? That corruption like this, while considered normal, is still sad to see, especially when good, qualified people are passed up for lesser qualified candidates?

Anyway, I'm still happy to read other's opinions should anyone wish to post. I also have to agree with Wilson throughout this thread. TG is not up to par in SE Asia, although I readily admit, it is better than most of the US airlines.

Well it would be worthwhile if it was going anywhere but it has now reached the stage where we are all re-stating our views...

And, taking up Bob's last post, it seems the initiator has now moved from a post aimed at alleged endemic corruption in the TG selection process to one targetting TG's alleged inept cabin service.

So, having all had a good chance to express our views, and now seeing having read them all, I will stop watching this topic...

:o

But I must say it was enlightening to see a major focus of complaints against the cabin crew seemed to focus on the speed with which alcohol could be ingested...

Thai Airlines, TG as it is known, is in my opinion,  poor on long-haul routes. This is due to poor service by TG cabin crew. As Bob has pointed out in great detail, their selection process is bent, so the wrong type of person ends up in the job.

Cabin crew are little more than 'waitresses in the sky', such a job does not require much more than common sense. Often I suspect that TG crew might be over-qualified, perhaps holding a degree or university education.

They are going to be resentful of 'serving' people and will feel animosity towards my 'requests'. Of course there a few good TG crew who understand they are in a job to serve the public and do so professionally, even dealing with awkward customers.

If I were a manager in TG Airways I would have floating spies on flights, noting service standards of named crew, and this information be reported back, ready for a yearly appraisal. This way good service would be rewarded and the 'bad egg' crew be either retrained or warned or sacked.

I have generally received very poor service from Thai Airways, especially relating to sloppy inflight service. In my experiences they are often delayed which is very annoying when this keeps happenning on a regular basis. Maybe I have just been unlucky, but overall I try to fly Singapore Airlines where possible who undisputely provide a much higher quality service. For outbound flights from Thailand, I have also found Singapore's fares to be lower than Thai Airways.

Well it would be worthwhile if it was going anywhere but it has now reached the stage where we are all re-stating our views...

And, taking up Bob's last post, it seems the initiator has now moved from a post aimed at alleged endemic corruption in the TG selection process to one targetting TG's alleged inept cabin service.

Howard, the corruption is related to the cabin service in that the corruption allows for the hiring of hi-so girls who don't belong in a service position, while more qualified regular girls are denied jobs.

To the extent that we are seeing a lot of different observations and opinions, this has been quite a good thread.

I think the Rolex observation was great. I don't know how you feel its not going anywhere. I suppose for it to actually 'go anywhere' it would have to result in the expuslion of the hi-so flight attendants and an end to corruption at TG.

That wasn't my point in posting. It was just to bring this to the attention of others and read about their experiences.

Fair enough Bob. But my comment about it not going anywhere relates to the fact that it is now pretty much people restating their position. Seems we all have fairly fixed views on these things and consequently the post will not go anywhere in the sense of enlightening each other.

But I must say I think the Rolex bit is crap (pardon the expression). I know quite a few TG cabin crew and ground staff. I have never seen a Rolex (genuine or fake) in their posession.

On the other hand keep in mind that wages and allowances paid to cabin crew do enable them to live quite well in Thailand. And it is not unusual (as with any airline) for them to marry, doubling the benefit. This could well account for them seeming to be well off rather than it being evidence of their connections.

This is probably one of the reasons, harking back to your early posts, why so many apply..

Did you ever watch the UK TV show Airport? They had an episode on the selection process for cabin crew. There were some applicants who seemed to have everything necessary to do a good job but it was interesting to be a fly on the wall when the selectors decided against them. Often it can be hard for those rejected to believe they were not worthy and in fact many of them are but they just don't need 5,000 at any one time...

Fair enough Bob. But my comment about it not going anywhere relates to the fact that it is now pretty much people restating their position. Seems we all have fairly fixed views on these things and consequently the post will not go anywhere in the sense of enlightening each other.

But I must say I think the Rolex bit is crap (pardon the expression). I know quite a few TG cabin crew and ground staff. I have never seen a Rolex (genuine or fake) in their posession.

On the other hand keep in mind that wages and allowances paid to cabin crew do enable them to live quite well in Thailand. And it is not unusual (as with any airline) for them to marry, doubling the benefit. This could well account for them seeming to be well off rather than it being evidence of their connections.

This is probably one of the reasons, harking back to your early posts, why so many apply..

Did you ever watch the UK TV show Airport? They had an episode on the selection process for cabin crew. There were some applicants who seemed to have everything necessary to do a good job but it was interesting to be a fly on the wall when the selectors decided against them. Often it can be hard for those rejected to believe they were not worthy and in fact many of them are but they just don't need 5,000 at any one time...

Hi Howard,

Yes I agree that the people who are posting (including myself) or more or less just restating their opinions. But I'm still happy to read other people's opinions on the matter. My allegation of corruption is based on solid facts and first hand knowledge, not just conclusions I have drawn due to the fact that the service (towards non-whites) is bad or the fact that many of the flight attendants have attitudes they could do without. Anyway, I'll keep reading this thread until people stop posting, but I agree, it would be better if the opinions were at least from people who hadn't posted yet. So I guess I should stop too!

Howard,  Fortunatly we at the Forum do accept apoligies on words used, suh as as yours.

The reason why? Because most people such as you only read one sentance in a paragrath, hence not able to understand the statement made.

I merely said ( for your benifit ) no dis-respect to everyone eles who understood my comment, just check how many TG cabin crew wear Rolex watches, not saying they all do, but could it be a reflextion on the type of person they want to employ.

Howard you may know eveything about nothing, but if you must make a comment, please use respect, not your ignorance.

Regards

Sev

• 5 weeks later...

Thai service is usually jolly good. No complaints from my Issan lady either. She always asks for things very politely and receives good service in return. In fact, its amazing to watch how hard the crew works to serve a meal to full ship on the short Bangkok/Phuket route.

These chaps complaining about Thai Airways must be talking though their hats! When one has flown around the world in all sorts of ships, the worst  cabin service we have  ever experienced was on Indian Airlines, the internal carrier. The consitently best on Cathy Pacific and Singapore.

Service in THAI has been poorer for the last 3 or 4 years. Still not a bad airline but for the given price and the expectations of service, it's not fair. Best is Singapore and quite cheap compared to THAI

The reasons for this is "cost reduction" and the attention of attendants has decreased with their salary or lack of expected increase in their salary.

Working conditions for THAI personel has been more difficult to make the company more "competitive" and "profitable" for the owners.

A lot of people are deceived by THAI but still it has the best coverage for the region. Don't expect much and you will be happy with the service.

You have had your say Bob. I disagree totally. I am not privy to Thai's employment policies so comment by me would be pure speculation ( like your opinion ). A lengthy thread leading nowhere is not a lot of use. I confess to having a gutful of malcontent farangs and anti Thai sentiments; hence my suggestion that the disgruntled  head for other horizons.

id just like to say i like this thread and know exactly where bob is comimg from.its not about being malcontent at all.for those of us who have thai relatives, friends and are part of the grass roots soceity in thailand you cannot (if your human) help being sickened by some of the injustices that go on around you.i personally have had a gutful of the phrase TIT .we have rights in the west and thailand wants to enjoy the benefits of the developing world (ie their money) without giving its people these rights. this is wrong. it not only gives them an unfair business advantage but pats them on the back for the contempt it sometimes treats its own people with.you are a doctor.just imagining studying and working hard for years on little or no money to find you cannot ever get a job for the country you are a national of because you are of the wrong class.

regardless market forces will decide in the end but people with money and a conscience should try to make decisions , where they can,based more on these sort of criteria (all other things being equal) to help .

bob i applaud you. :o

Thought occurred to me. I wonder if the Thai Airways planes are maintained to the same standard as everything else in Thailand. IE:-

1. Buses, 2. Taxis, 3. Roads, 4. Houses, 5. Telephone and Electricity lines. Now THERE'S A THOUGHT!!

I do find their domestic services to be quite good, but their International Services are just about the worst I have come across. Did a 13 hour Bkk-London, and after having served ONE meal, the entire cabin crew disappeared and were not seen again until UK. There was nearly a riot.

Hi everyone,

now I have to absolutely agree with the persons that brought up this topic. If you guys didn't bring it up, I would have. Let me first draw on my own personal experiences to explain why I am dissatisfied with THAI airways intl. standards of service.

I was on TG flight 991 from Bangkok to Sydney in late July, where the cabin staff were unsmiling, serious, and did not deliver the great service that I have normally associated (and even experienced) with THAI airways intl in the past and its getting worse every time I fly with them. To add insult to injury, the worst aspect of that flight was when the cabin staff went around handing out customs and immigration forms for Australia, and missed my row. First of all, most people get off in Sydney anyway, but thats beside the point.

Clearly the flight attendant saw my Australian passport but in her own arrogant way, decided that it wasn't necessary to hand out forms to my row. The Thai passenger sitting next to me asked if she could bring one for him, because he had not received one, but I steadfastly refused to even ask. I was indeed extremely dissapointed and everytime I fly with them, it seems to get worse. At the end of the flight I simply noted the location where these forms were stored, and took one out myself, still very upset about the whole incident.

Co-incidentally after arrival at Sydney Airport, a customs officer told me that I was about to accidently drive my trolley into that very same flight attendant who didn't hand out that form. And yes it was just a coincidence, although I did feel like getting back at her, although more in the form of a direct complaint of course. Now that and everything else just isn't acceptable by an airline which prides itself in its level of service (well not as much as Singapore Airlines does, but the Thais are renowned for their hospitality, and THAI is supposed to reflect that, but it dosen't).

In contrast, when I flew with QANTAS from Bangkok to Sydney in March, I found that the level of service was incredible, although I'm not here to praise one airline whilst putting down another, but it just goes to show that true Australian hospitality was reflected in the air, as much as it is (supposed) to be reflected back on the ground, and the "spirit of Australia" was truly alive and well when I flew with them. Good levels of service help at least to a small degree ease the "pain" of leaving the great land of smiles. Its a shame that its own national airline dosen't smile like the country and its ordinary citizens do. Smooth as silk? I think not.

I just came back to Thailand from the US on Thai Airways and arrived a couple days ago. After many flights with United, China, Korean etc. i decided to try Thai Airways. The crew was 100% courtious and polite.

Flew business class and on the bus from the LAX terminal building to the actual plane I spotted Paradorn with his tennis rackets on his shoulders. He of course was flying first class. After asking if the stewardess could get me an autograph, she came back with 2 for me a few hours later. Very cool.

Then in the airport, there he was waiting for his luggage to come rolling out, so I thanked him for the autographs and got some pictures. Talked for awhile with him as luckily the bags took about 20 minutes to come out, so thank you Thai Airways for being slow in that department. Then after going through customs the press attacked him.

yes he got something like 3 million baht free flying hours with thai airways after his first victory on the tour last season. i really do envy your there he is one guy i would love to meet.a credit to thailand and all tennis players hence not only winning his first tournement last seaon but also collecting the most improved player award and the good sportsman award too.top bloke.

Snowwolf,

I too much prefer the cabin crew on Qantas to those on THAI, no comparisan in my opinion.

Also the last two times i've flown on THAI they have missed out my row when handing out arrival cards, must be me, i suppose!

Qantas all the way for me, baby.

• 3 weeks later...
Guest IT Manager

I have a funny aside, but On Topic. 3 years ago, my wife and I took our adopted Akha son to Samui, to see the sea for the first and likely last time. When we checked in, the desk lady was great with him. He was 14 at the time and quite under weight. She asked if he had flown before which he hadn't. It was only 6 weeks before that he realised that a plane, which he had seen a lot, had people inside it.

The lady asked if he wanted to sit near a window, which he did, but she then went to some difficulty reorganising 3 people so we could all sit together, with him having a window seat.

When we boarded he was like a kitten with a new large soft toy. Eyes like plates sort of thing. I explained to him in our house language about the big TV in front of us and the map, and showed him in the in-flight magazine where we were, and were we were headed. Also about the height above ground and ground speed indication.

The doors closed and the engines spooled up and I tried to explain how a jet works. Unfortunately no balloon but we took care of that in Samui. Then we were backed out and turned and the tug let us go. He had not sat back in his seat once at this stage.

Then the first crescendo as the engines went to taxi mode and we were off onto the taxi way. We turned for flight line, and the beasts really howled. He looked at the TV and it said 17 km per hour. He said "Papa, what is that?" I explained it was how fast we were going. He looked quite stunned and said "Papa, why don't we drive? Is much faster"

I said wait one and the brakes came off. It took almost a week for the marks from his nails to disappear from my right hand.

He saw the ocean, went on a bus in the air, went on a huge 2 deck tourist bus, went on a ship, and had the wickedest time. TG made it very fine.

BTW, one of the attendants, a young girl of maybe 25, asked where he was from, to which he replied Chiang Mai. She asked if he was Hill Tribe, (not chao kaow), and asked which one. She did not say Egon, when he told her Akha. She then, during the flight, asked if he would like to meet some other kids his age, from America and England, which she organised most graciously.

I really have no complaints. Neither does he, but when we are sitting at home enjoying the afternoon and a TG bird flies, he looks up and says pai Krungthep chai mai Papa? And being father, I nod sagely, and say "yes my son, pai Krungthep".

It isn't important that it is coming or going. It's important that once, he was on one.

thats a great story ######, thanks for sharing it.  

Myself personally I think THAI is okay, certainly domestically they are superior to those rascals over at Bangkok Airways.  Internationally, THAI is okay by me too, but I'm used to making the flight from BKK-LAX on China Airlines which leads the industry in crashes, bad in-flight meals and entertainment, and smelly old chinese people/passangers who take great pains to smear their a$$es on my pillow when they exit the aisle to use the bathroom every 15 minutes.

• 6 months later...

I'm a retired airline pilot and have been flying with a lot of different airlines as a passenger, I'll say Thai comes out on top with regard to safety and service, now I live in Denmark and travels only Thai on my yearly trip to LOS.