Ratanakosin - World Heritage Site - Just Like Luang Prabang!

technocracy

Did anyone see this hilarious article about the decision that a few business guys have come up with the idea on getting the area listed as a UNESCO World Heritage site!

The article doesn't appear to be on the Bangkok Post website - which is a pity as it was comedy gold. Neither do I have it to hand I just read it at my favourite coffee shop downtown.

But the basics were that because Luang Prabang now attract around $80million per year in tourists money they want to make Ratanakosin into the 'Luang Prabang' of Thailand!

His arguement was based on they have the Grand Palace and ermm well that's it at the moment - but they would get have giving of alms everyday also . . . so making it just like Luang Prabang!

What world do some of these folks live in?! My one visit to that area was one that I don't ever want to repeat - the amount of touts and annoyances was unbelieveable - even inside the Grand Palace!

The fact that UNESCO monitored Luang Prabang for 8 years (might of been 10 can't remember) to ensure that the town culture was preserved and unchanged still didn't put this guy off! Now if the culture involves touts trying to lure tourist into buying fake gemstones they might have a chance! :o

Money talks, bullshit walks . . . :D

I'm happy for the people of Luang Phrabang that tourism has enabled their standard of living to improve. That said, the World Heritage Site designation has turned that once halcyonic place into a place of wall to wall tourists and eroding tranquility. I know that's a selfish viewpoint, but it feels like an old friend has died when one visits there now.