Music decibel limit, according to Thai Laws

riclag

I just bought a JBL party box to drown out the 7 small dogs, that live a side of my house,  24/7 constant yapping!

I put up with these dogs going  on 3 years , during that time , we( wife)put in  a complaint to the police and the amphur after the owner threatened my life for telling his dogs to shut up!

Six months ago the owner (never disciplines his dogs) got a Chihuahua, which resulted in noise doubling!

I noticed he just added more Chihuahuas several weeks ago!

The music really drowns out the dogs obsessive barking while giving us relief!

My question is whats the legal decibel limit in Thailand! I’ve been playing the jbl party box speaker at 50 % volume from

11am till 9pm for two weeks now with the police coming 2 days ago @8pm asking to turn the volume down!

Waiting for Them comments and sincere courteous responses!:wai: 

Edited by riclag

2 minutes ago, Lite Beer said:

Thais can and do make as much noise as they want.

Me and you? Probably not.

It is not called the land of noise for nothing.

This guy lives alone for the most part!

He has a wife that lives in Bangkok with 2 of the 3 daughters.

The other daughter is a nurse in one of the hospitals and she’s works all different shifts, sometimes she sleeps at the dogs house!

The other day he was drunk and boasted to his invited guests he bought the house  for the dogs( bann Ma). 

I think that you may be on a slippery slope with this one old Mate.

I'm surprised that there hasn't been any more serious retaliation from your neighbours yet. It will come and it won't be good for you, given that your neighbour seems to be such an arrogant MF. I really don't know what I would do except, tread lightly.

If the animals are being mistreated then perhaps explore other options.

Edited by V8M8
  • Confused 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

@riclag

Mostly, we do not agree about anything much. And I don't like you posting style too.

But on this, I hear ya.

We don't have a dog problem, more like a loud music fan across the street (mainly when he's alone on the property, working the garden).

There's not a whole lot you can do. There might be some rules about it, but nobody cares, and there's no way to check. It all gets decided according to what local police says - unless you're willing to take it up a notch, and that's....sometimes not the best option.

What I would go for in your case is a sensor setup - a gadget that turns the music on only when the barking gets too loud. Even if he doesn't get it, the dogs will. Also, if Mrs. riclag isn't averse to it, funeral music does wonders to dampen spirits next door.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Lorry said:

AFAIK 120 dB.

When playing music,  less than this is illegal. 

That is almost believable! Thais don't seem to realise that music can be played (and enjoyed) at less than maximum volume!

120 Db will most likely damage your hearing.

17 hours ago, riclag said:

I just bought a JBL party box to drown out the 7 small dogs, that live a side of my house,  24/7 constant yapping!

I put up with these dogs going  on 3 years , during that time , we( wife)put in  a complaint to the police and the amphur after the owner threatened my life for telling his dogs to shut up!

Six months ago the owner (never disciplines his dogs) got a Chihuahua, which resulted in noise doubling!

My question is whats the legal decibel limit in Thailand! I’ve been playing the jbl party box speaker at 50 % volume from

11am till 9pm for two weeks now with the police coming 2 days ago @8pm asking to turn the volume down!

Give the attachement to your wife. She can read how to handle it.

noiseproblems.pdf

A 357 magnum is 165 dB. You don't want the music to be any louder than this, so when he shoots you, the neighbors can hear the gunfire and call an ambulance. Suffice it to say, you are playing with fire, and taking the absolute wrong approach to resolving this matter. To answer your question, to the best of my knowledge, there isn't an absolute dB standard, the last time I checked, the law reads something like you shouldn't make noise which "causes fear." It's a very vaguely worded standard, and most cops will fall back on a "no harm, no foul" stance before 10 PM, especially if the person filing the complaint is a foreigner (who doesn't understand Thai culture). Barking dogs, however is a special circumstance, as most Thais view this as natural animal behavior which the owner has only limited control over. My advice is to cease and desist with the retaliatory loud music, allow for a cooling off period, try to establish some kind of rapport with your neighbor, perhaps by having your wife share some (homemade) food, try to find out what is causing the dogs to bark and eliminate the cause, and perhaps offering to buy an anti-bark collar for the dog(s) which is (are) doing the most barking.

• Thanks 1
  • Agree 1

4 minutes ago, snowgard said:

noiseproblems.pdf 711.55 kB · 0 downloads

Here's another post on the topic of business noise. When contacting the police, write down the officer's name. And don't just tell them, write a written report. If the police do nothing, report it to the station manager. If that doesn't help, go to provincial headquarters or Bangkok and inform the press that the police are doing nothing.

noise-polution-Announce_18.PDF

17 hours ago, riclag said:

A level of 80dB is considered acceptable. Higher than that ear defenders are considered necessary as hearing damage can occur.

48 minutes ago, snowgard said:

48 minutes ago, snowgard said:

noiseproblems.pdf 711.55 kB · 0 downloads

Maybe I missed something, but the above attachment appears to be a very generalized overview review of the scope of police duties without any specific reference to noise complaints, etc.

Edit: Regarding the second attachment you posted labeled "noise pollution announce", these standards apply to commercial operations, and it's not clear if the same standard would be applicable to residential households. @snowgard

Edited by Gecko123

17 hours ago, Lite Beer said:

Thais can and do make as much noise as they want.

Me and you? Probably not.

It is not called the land of noise for nothing.

No, they can't.

There was a house in our village that played loud music quite often.

We got "Or Bor Dor" round. They told the household to quieten things down. They did for a while but then started up again.

My wife called the police. They advised to record the noise and note the dates and times. My wife then took this to the station.

The police then visited the village and summoned the culprits to the station and also asked other Villagers for their take on the matter.

There was a meeting at the station with all involved in attendance. Of course, the culprits denied all knowledge, as did a few friends they'd taken along. However, when presented with the evidence, they went all coy. 

The result was the culprits told they were in the wrong and every future incident would be met with a fine. Alot quieter now.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Gecko123 said:

Maybe I missed something, but the above attachment appears to be a very generalized overview review of the scope of police duties without any specific reference to noise complaints, etc.

Edit: Regarding the second attachment you posted labeled "noise pollution announce", these standards apply to commercial operations, and it's not clear if the same standard would be applicable to residential households. @snowgard

The noise pollution problem is for residential households the same. Sure if someone make once or twice a party every year it not should be a problem but not almost every day or every weekend. 
The point is if your neighbour is so loud that you can't listen your TV with open windows, you can make a case against him.

Here is another example: "Neighbors" are a nuisance. How to fix it? (baanlaesuan.com)"

If you complain it to the police, they have to do something. If not, it's up to you how you react to it.