Been 6 Months Now Without A Cig

2008bangkok

Hi dont know why i am posting this just thought i would congratulate myself for my 1st 6months of not smoking, i would like to say its been hard but it hasnt,id like to say that my beer taste different but it doesnt, id like to say thatI still miss that one after me tea but id be lying..

ITS VERY VERY EASY.....

now im off to buy a new Ipod phone with the money iv saved

Congratulations on your 1st 6 months,, I have been off the cig fr 2 weeks now,, I had a hard time for the first 3 days, but now feel like I can live without it, but it still comes to my thoughts and gives me a WHAT IF again,,,, but I get over it after a few seconds then Im free again.... :o

Some people are able to stop smoking quite easy. My dad stopped and never touched a sigar again. My mom however cant stop at all all her attempts failed and i worry about her. She smokes a package and has done so for a long time. My brother stopped.. then started again. Me i never touched a cigarette, i could not even smoke a joint without coughing my lungs out (yes im dutch semilegal in my home country).

I dont know why it is easy for one and real hard for an other.

And Topic starter congratulations.

Hi dont know why i am posting this just thought i would congratulate myself for my 1st 6months of not smoking, i would like to say its been hard but it hasnt,id like to say that my beer taste different but it doesnt, id like to say thatI still miss that one after me tea but id be lying..

ITS VERY VERY EASY.....

Congratulations , and keep going. My dad had quit many years ago due to health problems.

I don't smoke and I know it's hard to quit. Know friends that tried to quit many times and unsuccessful.

They said they feel irritated when not smoking.

Well done.

Well I just passed the 1 year mark. And it is easier each day.

Maybe only once a month do I get that reflex to smoke, easily ignored.

I had gone 27 years without smoking, age 17 on,

until the beginning of nasty divorce made me nuts enough to smoke,

again, that went on for 6 years sadly. Hated EVERY minute of it.

But 1 month before a 2nd marriage I quit for the new wife,

and haven't looked back. 1 month before the wedding,

so I wasn't a wreck DURING the wedding.

Don't worry what ANY smoker or non-smoker says to disparage you,

like'

" Wow your such a star - thanks for sharing your story.

If only all those othere smokers could just be like you "

That is their problem, not yours.

Good luck with the next 6 months.

And especially chok dee to krystian at 2 weeks.

This is the worst time, it JUST GETS EASIER.

After a month and a half there is no nicotine at all in your system,

but the physical repetition bug is still there.

IGNORE IT!

Congradulations! ...I also gave up last April.... everything was cruizing along really well in my life, then one night at the end of May, I had trouble sleeping as the right side of my chest became sore.

After getting X-Rays etc, I was told I have lung cancer - stage 3.

I wont elaborate about my own health, other than to say its going down faster than the Titantic.

It is my wish what I write below, is read and tried to understand.

I think theres a lot of information purposely hidden from smokers.... more to do with Government taxs etc.

Over 90% of smokers will develop lung cancer in their lives.

Having your lung removed can only be done if the cancer is in stage 1 or stage 2, being the cancer is still confined to one area of the body....so if your mates say, you'll be okay, the doctors will take out your lung, will probably not happen.

Over 70% of smokers are diagnosed with lung cancer in the later stages - stage 3 and stage 4.

Most of the time, the cancer cells go undetected, until it reaches stage 3 or stage 4, in which case modern medicine cant do much for you.

Only a few make it past 5 years from being diagnosed.

In my own state, in 2005, there was 8,000 odd smokers diagnosed with lung cancer.

Of the 8,000 only about 1,000 made it through Chemo and Radiation Treatment.

Of the 1,000, only 11% made it past 5 years.

Like many of you smokers, I felt my health wasnt all that bad. I enjoyed a coffee and a smoke in the mornings and I had no real problems with my health.

I gave up because it was becoming too expensive.

What I am trying to say, dont think everything is okay if you look and feel okay, because inside you its a different story.

When I gave up, I used the drug called "Champix", which I found to be very good ... When you start using that drug, you keep smoking as you normally would ... no cold turkey ... but before 14 days turns over from when you started, you select a day to stop alltogether. I actually found Champix turns your mind of smoking and after 1 month stop using the drug completely. The cost is cheap compared to how much supply/medication you have compared to the money you would pay out in smokes over the same time. In Australia it is subsidized by the Govt to about $30.

Regardless, in my case it was too late!

For what its worth, all the anti-smoking ads tell us if you stop smoking, your chances of getting lung cancer is reduced.... but that is all ...just reduced.

ITS VERY VERY EASY.....

Congrat's I gave up about 12 years ago after starting as a ten year old after a year or so my health improved and has continued to with the help of a better life style, everything in moderation but now and again moderate moderation.

Oh and I am the biggest "born again non smoker" pain in the rear ever.

Gwynt

• 3 months later...

I quit smoking one year ago, however i got back to "secretly smoking" for some weeks (without letting my girlfriend know) what caused a very very serious trouble.. For a couple of months i'm clean again and i feel long time already that i never need to smoke again. I was smoking for about 6 years 20 cigaretts a day and the first some weeks after i had decided to quit were really not easy. I gained a couple of kilos what wasn't bad at all, now i look better then ever before :o

I want to make some suggestions that can help quitters through the first some days and weeks which are certainly the hardest. Probably nothing new (Allen Carr), but it helped me.

First of all, you have to be absolutely sure that you NEVER want to smoke again, if you think i just try it out, it won't work out for you.

Read about nicotin addiction and observe yourself how you feel when you want to smoke. You will find out that you don't feel pain or something, it's just the uncomfortable feeling that you really want to smoke. And this feeling, look at it as there would be a nicotin monster in you, that always wants to be fed. If not, it gets angry and you know how that feels. Stand over it, and say to yourself, i'm stronger than you. I won't feed you anymore. You've controlled my life, now it is mine and i will slowly slowly kill you, you will starve to death.

Don't look to other smokers and envy them, commiserate them. They have to smoke, you don't. Enjoy the feeling, because you know that normally every somker wants to quit, but they are not strong enough. You are.

Maybe it's helpful to tell friends and your family about your decision to quit, don't do it secretly. They will give you power and support you. If the go like "ha, again? You will fail, for sure! I know you.." See it as a challange and try to proove that you really can.

I know all this sounds easy, but it isn't. Don't give up even you've failed already so many times. It is worth it!

Wish you all good luck and power! It's a hard time i know, but you feel freeeeeeeee afterwards, you can really enjoy your life without cigarettes.

That was my first post by the way, hello to all of you! :D

• 1 month later...
  • 6 months later...
Congradulations! ...I also gave up last April.... everything was cruizing along really well in my life, then one night at the end of May, I had trouble sleeping as the right side of my chest became sore.

After getting X-Rays etc, I was told I have lung cancer - stage 3.

I wont elaborate about my own health, other than to say its going down faster than the Titantic.

It is my wish what I write below, is read and tried to understand.

I think theres a lot of information purposely hidden from smokers.... more to do with Government taxs etc.

Over 90% of smokers will develop lung cancer in their lives.

Having your lung removed can only be done if the cancer is in stage 1 or stage 2, being the cancer is still confined to one area of the body....so if your mates say, you'll be okay, the doctors will take out your lung, will probably not happen.

Over 70% of smokers are diagnosed with lung cancer in the later stages - stage 3 and stage 4.

Most of the time, the cancer cells go undetected, until it reaches stage 3 or stage 4, in which case modern medicine cant do much for you.

Only a few make it past 5 years from being diagnosed.

In my own state, in 2005, there was 8,000 odd smokers diagnosed with lung cancer.

Of the 8,000 only about 1,000 made it through Chemo and Radiation Treatment.

Of the 1,000, only 11% made it past 5 years.

Like many of you smokers, I felt my health wasnt all that bad. I enjoyed a coffee and a smoke in the mornings and I had no real problems with my health.

I gave up because it was becoming too expensive.

What I am trying to say, dont think everything is okay if you look and feel okay, because inside you its a different story.

When I gave up, I used the drug called "Champix", which I found to be very good ... When you start using that drug, you keep smoking as you normally would ... no cold turkey ... but before 14 days turns over from when you started, you select a day to stop alltogether. I actually found Champix turns your mind of smoking and after 1 month stop using the drug completely. The cost is cheap compared to how much supply/medication you have compared to the money you would pay out in smokes over the same time. In Australia it is subsidized by the Govt to about $30.

Regardless, in my case it was too late!

For what its worth, all the anti-smoking ads tell us if you stop smoking, your chances of getting lung cancer is reduced.... but that is all ...just reduced.

Look man, don't mean to bust your bubble but your figures are wrong. Truth is 90% of the people with lung cancer got it from second hand smoke, my mom is one of them and if what you say is true about only having 5 years then she should have died 15 year ago.

I quit smoking one year ago, however i got back to "secretly smoking" for some weeks (without letting my girlfriend know) what caused a very very serious trouble.. For a couple of months i'm clean again and i feel long time already that i never need to smoke again. I was smoking for about 6 years 20 cigaretts a day and the first some weeks after i had decided to quit were really not easy. I gained a couple of kilos what wasn't bad at all, now i look better then ever before :)

I want to make some suggestions that can help quitters through the first some days and weeks which are certainly the hardest. Probably nothing new (Allen Carr), but it helped me.

First of all, you have to be absolutely sure that you NEVER want to smoke again, if you think i just try it out, it won't work out for you.

Read about nicotin addiction and observe yourself how you feel when you want to smoke. You will find out that you don't feel pain or something, it's just the uncomfortable feeling that you really want to smoke. And this feeling, look at it as there would be a nicotin monster in you, that always wants to be fed. If not, it gets angry and you know how that feels. Stand over it, and say to yourself, i'm stronger than you. I won't feed you anymore. You've controlled my life, now it is mine and i will slowly slowly kill you, you will starve to death.

Don't look to other smokers and envy them, commiserate them. They have to smoke, you don't. Enjoy the feeling, because you know that normally every somker wants to quit, but they are not strong enough. You are.

Maybe it's helpful to tell friends and your family about your decision to quit, don't do it secretly. They will give you power and support you. If the go like "ha, again? You will fail, for sure! I know you.." See it as a challange and try to proove that you really can.

I know all this sounds easy, but it isn't. Don't give up even you've failed already so many times. It is worth it!

Wish you all good luck and power! It's a hard time i know, but you feel freeeeeeeee afterwards, you can really enjoy your life without cigarettes.

Hello to you man!

You just hit the nail on the head! Truth is, it's all will power, I only disagree with one thing, when you get to the point they say " Haaa again?" that's when it's time to just do it and not tell anyone. I smoked a pack a day (20 for those of you who don't know what a pack is) for 18 years, tried to quit time and time again, and always announced "I'm quitting!" usually within a day I was back to smoking the same as before. I heard "Oh yeah, you won't last a day" too many times, then just said fuc_k it, and decided to quit without telling anyone. It was 4 days before someone noticed I wasn't smoking! Anyway it's been 4 months now and not even an urge. The first 2 weeks were a bitch but after that it's easy. All about really wanting to do it. Not for your wife, or family or anyone else, for yoursef! When you really want to quit you will.

Lee

• 1 month later...
I quit smoking one year ago, however i got back to "secretly smoking" for some weeks (without letting my girlfriend know) what caused a very very serious trouble.. For a couple of months i'm clean again and i feel long time already that i never need to smoke again. I was smoking for about 6 years 20 cigaretts a day and the first some weeks after i had decided to quit were really not easy. I gained a couple of kilos what wasn't bad at all, now i look better then ever before :)

I like that post. I had my 51st b'day a week ago and that day took my 1st Quomem which I had bought in Bangkok. A bit expensive, about 2,300 BTH for a month but I really needed something to help me stop. I had my 1st cigarettes when I was 18..... Today is the 8th day, I haven't smoked a cigarette for the last 3 days. It's really hard as I have noticed the craving for a cigarette comes very regularly for me, every 5 minutes and it lasts for 2 minutes. I usually take deep breaths or drink a glass of water. I also tell myself that it would be too bad to smoke another one as all these efforts for 3 days would be annihilated. I have got rid of all ashtrays, lighters in the house, removed the ashtray from the car. Now I have to go on...

3 months in now myself and still suffering.

Me chest still feels knotted, still throwing up blood and tar (quite normal) and over the last few days the back of my throat has gone numb.

Hey ho. I am sure that I'll begin to feel the benefits eventually.

3 months in now myself and still suffering.

Me chest still feels knotted, still throwing up blood and tar (quite normal) and over the last few days the back of my throat has gone numb.

Hey ho. I am sure that I'll begin to feel the benefits eventually.

Keep going Moonrakers....it takes considerable time for the lungs to clear themselves......but you will feel the benefit

Well done to the rest of you too......there is no harm at all in giving yourselves a big pat on the back.....takes effort,will power and all the rest to give up and be clear......it is a great personal achievement...worthy of self congratulation

Just imagine Moonrakers when another thread appears in 9 months time and you will be able to say 'yes I gave up smoking one year ago'.......that will sound really good I can assure you.. :)

• 1 month later...

I like that post. I had my 51st b'day a week ago and that day took my 1st Quomem which I had bought in Bangkok. A bit expensive, about 2,300 BTH for a month but I really needed something to help me stop. I had my 1st cigarettes when I was 18..... Today is the 8th day, I haven't smoked a cigarette for the last 3 days. It's really hard as I have noticed the craving for a cigarette comes very regularly for me, every 5 minutes and it lasts for 2 minutes. I usually take deep breaths or drink a glass of water. I also tell myself that it would be too bad to smoke another one as all these efforts for 3 days would be annihilated. I have got rid of all ashtrays, lighters in the house, removed the ashtray from the car. Now I have to go on...

I wrote that about 8 weeks ago. I haven't lit another cigarette since Day 1. I have stopped using Quomem as well, about 2 weeks ago. I don't feel that's it but I can resist the craving for smoking now.

A few side effects still there though: I still feel quite depressed. That didn't happen before when I smoked and I have put on ....4 kgs already in so little time. Can anybody suggest anything?

Thanks

Can anybody suggest anything?

Thanks

You have put on the extra kilos because of a change in your eating habits. Over eating causes weight gain not quitting smoking.

You need to control your diet and introduce exercise into your lifestyle to mitigate and then lose the weight you have gained so far. Further weight gain is on the cards if you fail to take corrective action.

Thanks

You have put on the extra kilos because of a change in your eating habits. Over eating causes weight gain not quitting smoking.

You need to control your diet and introduce exercise into your lifestyle to mitigate and then lose the weight you have gained so far. Further weight gain is on the cards if you fail to take corrective action.

Thanks, I'll try something to control my diet but the thing is that I am really hungry all day long and can eat anything... at anytime. I always feel hungry.

So is having nothing to eat at home a solution? Or having short but frequent meals? I have no idea about this.

I went to the swimming pool yesterday and swam for an hour. I was also thinking of going to the gym or running, which is the best in your opinion? Do I have to exercise every day?

Eating wise, just eat fruit any time you feel peckish. I have got into the habit of every Monday bringing five apples to work with me and have one at around 3:00pm between lunch and dinner.

Exercise depends on individual circumstances including age and is a question for the experts. The hardest thing I have found was introducing and then maintaining an exercise regime into my daily routine. I think it boils down to how much time you can make and facilities that are available to you. The important thing is regular exercise and it doesn't have to be a major workout, swimming and walking are good.

Remember quitting smoking is a permanent lifestyle change.

NEVER TAKE ANOTHER PUFF

Thanks

Actually Malcolm, smoking burns calories and affects the metabolism so it is common to gain weight after quitting with no change in eating habits. I put on a few pounds myself, although in my case the extra weight was needed.

http://quitsmoking.about.com/cs/preparation/f/whygain.htm

i stopped a 3 a day for 30 years just over 3 years ago..

i don't think the urge ever goes away.

Oh yes it does, you'll be glad to know! Please beleive me IT DOES. I stopped smoking some 34 years ago ( from 500 a week ).

Occasionally I have a nightmare that I have started smoking again and wake up in a cold sweat.

NOTHING, but nothing would induce me to start smoking again.

Keep up the good work, it's worth it beleive you me. I don't think that I would be alive today if I had carried on smoking at the same rate. Goodness knows what it would cost me now, even here in Thailand and I would not like to contemplate what it would cost if I was still back in the UK; 25 packs of 20 at £??per week - it doesn't bear thinking about!

Hello to you man!

You just hit the nail on the head! Truth is, it's all will power, I only disagree with one thing, when you get to the point they say " Haaa again?" that's when it's time to just do it and not tell anyone. I smoked a pack a day (20 for those of you who don't know what a pack is) for 18 years, tried to quit time and time again, and always announced "I'm quitting!" usually within a day I was back to smoking the same as before. I heard "Oh yeah, you won't last a day" too many times, then just said fuc_k it, and decided to quit without telling anyone. It was 4 days before someone noticed I wasn't smoking! Anyway it's been 4 months now and not even an urge. The first 2 weeks were a bitch but after that it's easy. All about really wanting to do it. Not for your wife, or family or anyone else, for yoursef! When you really want to quit you will.

Lee

Totally agree with you. "If you want to stop you CAN".

See my previous thread please if you don't beleive me!

If it is any help, I would suggest that you do NOT use any form of substitute for the cigarette, as this only reinforces the mind that you are NOT doing what you are wanting to stop doing.