Over 1 Million Baht Raised In Charity Rugby Match At The Horseshoe Point.

Pattaya_Fox

Over 1 Million baht raised in Charity rugby match at the Horseshoe Point.

Over the weekend a Charity rugby match took place at the Horseshoe Point between the Pattaya Panthers and a team from the Royal Thai Marines. Khun Mongkol, the Chief of Banglamung District and Khun Itipon, the Mayor of Pattaya attended the event which raised money for students in three troubled Provinces in the South of Thailand – Yala, Naratiwat and Pattani. We are pleased to announce that over 1 Million Baht was raised at the event.

Pattaya One News

24th June 2008

post-15964-1214310517_thumb.jpgpost-15964-1214310531_thumb.jpg

post-15964-1214310546_thumb.jpgpost-15964-1214310560_thumb.jpg

Well done, the Panthers.

Was anyone watching the Asian 5-Nations tournament? Won by Japan easily.

Both the Arabian Gulf and Hong Kong sides were basically expat teams - the AG team with large beer bellies, the HK side somewhat less so.

When I was working in HK the Royal Welsh Fusiliers were stationed there and the standard of rugby was quite high. I was assisting in teaching / training a Chinese development side (the Nomads) and we played in the 3rd and 4th divisions with all the other minnows. There were some lads with potential, but not enough to form a really good team.

But surely in a country the size of Thailand we could foster enough interest to bring in good local players who could then go on to represent their country in these second and third tier international tournaments.

In Libya we held matches against local university students, but they were basically interested in American (grid-iron) football and were slow to learn the joys of the real game.

Any thoughts, anyone? Any Panthers or BKK players out there?

That's great to hear, but a bit sad about the lack of publicity, again. I only caught the second day of the 10-a side tournament last month by accident. I wonder how much they could have raised if horseshoe point/ panthers got their act together on the publicity front.

My friend lives about 1km from horseshoe point, and didn't know about this game either. Instead we had to endure another whipping by the All Blacks on TV.

This Rugby match was organised by the Rotary Club Of Taksin-Pattaya. The amount raised is way out and I don't know where this figure came from. The actual amount of money raised and pledged (so far) is actually around 150,000 Baht.

That's great to hear, but a bit sad about the lack of publicity, again. I only caught the second day of the 10-a side tournament last month by accident. I wonder how much they could have raised if horseshoe point/ panthers got their act together on the publicity front.

My friend lives about 1km from horseshoe point, and didn't know about this game either. Instead we had to endure another whipping by the All Blacks on TV.

The English players' minds were elsewhere - wondering what to tell wives / gf's when they got home.