Escalator Pickpocket Scam

pdavids

Be warned. Today, I was pickpocketed on the escalator at Times Square in Sukumvhit. It worked like this. As I approached the escalator three well dressed men got on in front of me - they came from the side. They took their time getting on, as if they were unsure of their footing. By which time there were people suddenly behind me also wanting to get on. I took a quick glance and two of them were dressed as students, talking and giggling - all very casual. So when I stepped on, I had two men in front of me on the next step, side by side, with the third man in front of them, and at least two people behind me on the next step, side by side. I suspect there was at least another one on the step behind them - at least six people in all. I did note that it seemed strange we were all so squashed together, but was more annoyed than alert! After all, this is an escalator I have used several times a week for several years.

As we got to the top of the escalator, the man immediately in front moved back onto me, pushing me back against the person behind me. The very front man had "dropped" a pile of leaflets at the top of the escalator and was "frantically" trying to pick them up, while both men in front of me seemed nonplussed as to what to do, conveniently blocking me. I pushed around them before we all piled on top of one another and headed straight into Asia Books ahead of me, again annoyed rather than suspicious. And subsequently discovered my money gone - folded into my left pocket, but deep in the pocket. My wallet, in my back pocket and completely empty was untouched! This is a scam that could work very well in many shopping centres and even office complexes. Regrettably I had more money in my pocket than usual. I can only think they knew what pocket to go for and that yet another accomplice at the entrance to Times Square may have tipped them off to folded money in the left pocket. Mind you, the handkerchief in the right pocket looked just as much like money. First con in 10 years here, so not a bad record....a little more careful about close quarters in future.

Someone tried to pick me at the Queen Sirikit convention center once when they were doing an electronics show. I was standing in a crowd watching the sexy girls show off their "products" and some guy went by me and I felt his finger tug at my pocket. I was pretty surprised at the attempt because it was so blatant and he disappeared into the crowd pretty quickly. Too bad for him the jeans I wore that day had very small tight pockets.

The sure way to deter even the best pick pockets is to wear tight jeans.

I think somebody pulled this on on Prakanong last year, well anyway someone posted about it.

For a few years now I've used a "front pocket" wallet, it is a little more compact and I am used to it. Even put it in my front when I am someplace safe, just habit now.

Original Poster, did the men appear to be Thai that picked your pocket?

As opposed to?? :D

If they had been six farang or Indian or ??? think the OP might've mentioned it.

Or do you have info on the evil Cambodian border bandits operating the Bangkok escalators these days? :o

Original Poster, did the men appear to be Thai that picked your pocket?

As opposed to?? :D

If they had been six farang or Indian or ??? think the OP might've mentioned it.

Or do you have info on the evil Cambodian border bandits operating the Bangkok escalators these days? :o

They were all Thai. One was even wearing the respected yellow T shirt. I did report it to the building reception, just so they could alert security, who stand aimlessly on every floor. One would like to think that these guys would now be alert to any suspicious activity on the escalators. I regularly have coffee at Times Square, so will be keeping an eye out myself...and my money secure at hand.

One was even wearing the respected yellow T shirt. I did report it to the building reception, just so they could alert security, who stand aimlessly on every floor.

the report to security went out like this. "all security be on the lookout for a thai man with a yellow shirt" at which point the guards went back to sleeping.

The most blatant case of thievery I ever experienced was at the Doi Suthep temple.

The parents pick out the marks and the little kids do the dipping.

They aren't even good at it but they're mighty persistent.

I'm curious to know how they targeted you... since you say you had more cash than normal in your pocket, and they didn't try for your wallet.

Had you just drawn the cash from the ATM, or purchased something somewhere close by- so that someone could have seen that you had a "fat wad" in that pocket?

Keep your hand on your wallet in crowded spaces and turn your side so that you arse is facing one side or the other when using an escalator.

Keep your wallet and money in your front pockets.

I'm curious to know how they targeted you... since you say you had more cash than normal in your pocket, and they didn't try for your wallet.

Had you just drawn the cash from the ATM, or purchased something somewhere close by- so that someone could have seen that you had a "fat wad" in that pocket?.

I've also thought about why I was targeted and feel it may have been the cash in the front pocket, plus the wallet in the back. A double opportunity for them. The cash in the front pocket was also boosted in appearance by a folded phone bill which I was planning to pay. When the scam went down there was a shove from behind in the area of the wallet and I feel if I had not pushed past the two clowns feigning not knowing what to do about the guy srambling for the leaflets in front of them that the "students" behind me may have got the wallet in the subsequent crush. I had not been to an ATM - merely walked straight from my condo a block away

I was pick pocketed on the escalator at "big c "on ratchadamri rd. bangkok.

it was before 3 month.

on the day living Thailand for a visit in my home land.

i had a trolley and a backpack.

the same system on the way down on the escalator.

the money (580$)in one side pocket

and the passport in the other side.

i was understand that something is going on but

could not do nothing.

the money goon.

i was lucky??the passport was still on me.

i make a report to the security.

and ask to see the security camera record's.

they took me to the room ,but after few minute's ,

thy told me they can not upload

the record.

so for what they have camera's every were???

I'm just itchin' to be pickpocketed, or bumped by some automobile crash scam artist, or offered some Nigerian color changing ink for currency, but haven't even had an attempt in 11 years here now.

:o

I've also thought about why I was targeted and feel it may have been the cash in the front pocket, plus the wallet in the back. A double opportunity for them. The cash in the front pocket was also boosted in appearance by a folded phone bill which I was planning to pay. When the scam went down there was a shove from behind in the area of the wallet and I feel if I had not pushed past the two clowns feigning not knowing what to do about the guy srambling for the leaflets in front of them that the "students" behind me may have got the wallet in the subsequent crush. I had not been to an ATM - merely walked straight from my condo a block away.

I guess they just got lucky on the front pocket, if no one had actually seen the money going in / out of there, and the wallet in your back pocket should have been the obvious choice for the thieves.

After all, it could have been anything in your front pocket to fill it out... cigarette pack, snotty kleenex, cellphone.. but I guess a cellphone would be a pretty good score too, and they were expecting that instead of your $.

And- like Heng - never happened to me in all of my time here, 8 yrs. (Yet! Touch wood!)

Thanks for the post, OP. I shoved a pickpocket away from me on the Chao Phraya River Taxi. He was working the area at the back of the boat. Lots of farang tourists standing up admiring the view, carrying easy to dip backpacks. Be warned.

ah, stupidity ...

when i see those people carrying a wallet in their back pocket

sitting at tables and bending a bit, showing their ugly crack to the world and their wallet almost falls out of their pocket

just keep your wallet in a good place, not the back of ur CRACK

velcro is a nice idea ...

or give it to your misses, than ur sure you still got ur wallet, but she will make sure to leave it as empty as a thief does :o

looooooooooool

I have got a little paranoid about loosing my wallet. It would be a real nuisance to sort out all the bank cards, credit card, driving license etc. I was once fingered by some ladyboys on Sukumwit, but luckily noticed and managed to stop them.

I now have two wallets. One in my back pocket with maximum of 1,000 Baht or so and a couple of bits of paper, and my other wallet zipped up tightly in another pocket. Whether this is really unecessary I don't know, but it makes me feel happier.

Where did men ever get the idea of putting their wallet in their trouser back pocket?

How stupid can you get? Do they do it because other men do it? Did they start as boys imitating men?

And now some women do it too, those who wear jeans.

Is there anything more likely to help a thief?

There is one candidate: those leather hand-held pouch things that some men carry. Thieves' gift packs, I call them.