Testing Your Thai Lady

ozsamurai

There are a lot of men who have this rose tinted spectacle idea that they are saving their girl from life in the bar. Sometimes they do, more often not!

Many women have been abandoned by their husbands, left holding the baby literally. They see others who have gone to work in Pattaya or bangkok and returned with a rich Farang husband. In no time at all they have a new motorbike, maybe a car and building a new house. They compare their situation with these other girls and obviously want the same.

They go in search of a rich man, but almost invariably they have to work in the bar and all that means.

There is nothing wrong with that in my eyes, they are looking for a better life.

What is wrong is when they do find a man who is willing to take care of them, some are never satisfied , the greed takes over.

Wages have increased lately in the area I live. Now ordinary working people seem to be on an average of 200 Bt a day, when work is available. If 2 adults in the household working, will have a monthly family income of about 10,000 Bt when times are good and half that when not so much available. But sometimes nearly zero. These people don't have beautiful houses, don't have cars, only a motorbike, but they are happy with their lot.

A friend of my lady is in my opinion one of the bad ones. Unusually, her child is living with it's father and she pays nothing to support it. She has an American boyfriend who can only visit a few months each year and sends her 20,000 baht every month. He has also paid 650,000 to build a house for her. Most families would be over the moon with a house and income like this, but she is a single person and still not satisfied. She complains that her boyfriend is stingy. She was recently working, plying her trade in Pattaya and one of her customers, an Australian took a shine to her and after 5 days had promised to support her. She went back to her village as her American was due to visit and he went home to Australia with the promise to send 10,000 Baht every month. She told my lady that she was worried that the Australian lied to her and wouldn't fulfill his promise. That's the joke, she's worried that HE lied to HER! This girl is a scammer, a liar and a cheat!

The problem is the amount of stupid foreigners that just throw money at these girls, buying cars and houses after knowing them for 5 minutes. They set precedents and the Thais think that all Farang can do this. Now it is expected. Many Thais really do think that every farang can just throw away a few million Baht and think nothing of it.

I grew up in a poor household, My father worked all hours to support us 6 Kids. My father did his best for us and I am grateful for that. We were poor by today's standards but we were happy. Because of my childhood, I appreciate the value of money, the security and I am careful, not stingy but careful. I love going out and spending money, but only if I can afford it and as long as I have something to fall back on. I think about the future.

With many if not most poor Thais, the opposite applies. If income doubles, expenditure trebles. My lady used to have an income of 4000 Baht per month to support herself and 2 children. Now she has 1000 Baht a week , for want of a better word, pocket money. This she can do with what she likes. I pay all the bills and groceries. I control the money, I have to. If I don't control the finances her spending will spiral beyond all reason, and certainly beyond my income. This is NOT scamming , this is just her inability to economise and spend within her means. From what I have seen a poor Thai can cope with a low income usually, but finds it impossible to cope with a relatively high income.

My wife has all the money and I rarely look at the bank account it never even crosses my mind she will run off with it. Married 2 years known each other for 3.

Yabaaaa, I'm not sure if you have read my post properly as I do not see how your reply is relevant.

Your situation is different to most people here, your wife has the money, not you. We don't know if your wife came from a poor background or a middle class/wealthy family.

My post was meant to show that not all Thai girls are scammers, but some are unable to cope with sudden (relative) wealth. I have had many problems regarding finances with my lady,some of them stem from other people sticking their noses in. ie "If you have a Farang why don't you have a car, why aren't you dripping with gold?" etc etc. Peer pressure can be a bad thing at times. Because of pressure from other people, she tried to put pressure on me to spend more, she wasn't scamming just giving in to pressure from others. It's this strange mentality here, I believe that for some time my lady was a little ashamed that I only had 10 times the income of the average Thai here.

Her attitude has changed now, she realises that it's more important that her children have a good father who takes his responsibilities seriously and makes sure that the household is well taken care of.

I had a bit of extra cash last month and was able to spend an additional 60,000 Baht - new fridge freezer, washing machine etc. I do know that she enjoyed rubbing this in with some of these people, especially the one who referred to me as Kii Nok Farang. For those who don't know, that is worse than Kii Neow. Difficult to translate, but means something like worthless, no good, low class backpacker.

Sums it up. Everyone in the family looked upon the farang as the goldmine. Eventually she realised you really didn't have that much money and decided she couldn't get anyone better, so decided to settle for her children who would at least "have a good father who takes his responsibilities seriously and makes sure that the household is well taken care of." Thank god that when you've got a bit extra cash you consider her 'face'! That she gets so much pleasure from this tells the story.

• Replies 375
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (LadyPenelope @ 2009-01-02 19:16:33) *

i have only just joined thai visa as i was looking for farang women to be friends with.

after reading some of the messages on this thread, i, as an educated thai woman, i have to question why so many of you are involved with women you do not trust.

and if you are talking about security checks on them, how would you feel if she were to do the same to you?

im not provoking an argument, just asking the question here.

Educated?

You sound very much(style of writing) like a guy who used to post here pretending to be a Thai woman in order to troll.

Definitely not Neeranam. I am simply too lazy when i am typing to capitalize. If it was an english test, I would appreciate your comments, but it's not.

There is another reason. Thai women go with Farang becasue they have been married once already (either Thai or Farang) and no self resepecting Thai man would marry a woman that has already been married (unless she had plenty of dough) ...
True,also you dont see thais marrying them/having them for girlfriends ( except for the pimps ) ,they must see farang as desperate/mad. or a little of both,. and its common knowledge that thai men wont pay as much as farang, and theres the real reason the thai bgs dont go with them,

To some considerable degree, I'm willing to cough up because the odds of finding a woman some 40 years younger than myself back home are not even worth thinking about. I think all you can really do is to set a limit on how much you're prepared to put into the pot as it were and make sure you don't exceed that figure. If she's not happy with it, then she's probably a gold digger and better that the two of you split up now and go your separate ways before you get hurt.

That can be difficult sometimes especially if you're older. Time is not on our side unfortunately and there will come a time when travelling across several continents will become impossible due to ill health. So make the most of it while you can even if it does cost you a small fortune. After all, when the time comes for you to depart these shores, you won't be able to take your remaining assets with you now will you? :o

I am in the same boat as you time is not on my side and loneliness is always round the corner. I always tell any new lady that I will not marry her, I will not buy a house in Thailand and all my money stays in the UK and then I try to treat the financial side like a business the more that I get out of the relationship the more that I am liable to invest it (upto what I can afford) seems to work in my case

To some considerable degree, I'm willing to cough up because the odds of finding a woman some 40 years younger than myself back home are not even worth thinking about. I think all you can really do is to set a limit on how much you're prepared to put into the pot as it were and make sure you don't exceed that figure. If she's not happy with it, then she's probably a gold digger and better that the two of you split up now and go your separate ways before you get hurt.

That can be difficult sometimes especially if you're older. Time is not on our side unfortunately and there will come a time when travelling across several continents will become impossible due to ill health. So make the most of it while you can even if it does cost you a small fortune. After all, when the time comes for you to depart these shores, you won't be able to take your remaining assets with you now will you? :o

I am in the same boat as you time is not on my side and loneliness is always round the corner. I always tell any new lady that I will not marry her, I will not buy a house in Thailand and all my money stays in the UK and then I try to treat the financial side like a business the more that I get out of the relationship the more that I am liable to invest it (upto what I can afford) seems to work in my case

Sounds as if you have very loving relationships.

That can be difficult sometimes especially if you're older. Time is not on our side unfortunately and there will come a time when travelling across several continents will become impossible due to ill health. So make the most of it while you can even if it does cost you a small fortune. After all, when the time comes for you to depart these shores, you won't be able to take your remaining assets with you now will you? :D

Sounds as if you have very loving relationships.

Hmmm! Not sure. :o:D:D

QUOTE (LadyPenelope @ 2009-01-02 19:16:33) *

i have only just joined thai visa as i was looking for farang women to be friends with.

after reading some of the messages on this thread, i, as an educated thai woman, i have to question why so many of you are involved with women you do not trust.

and if you are talking about security checks on them, how would you feel if she were to do the same to you?

Educated?

You sound very much(style of writing) like a guy who used to post here pretending to be a Thai woman in order to troll.

Definitely not Neeranam. I am simply too lazy when i am typing to capitalize. If it was an english test, I would appreciate your comments, but it's not.

There aren't many Thai women who post here loking for expat friends. And, btw, "farang' is a derogatory term. If you actually were Thai, you would know this.

I know of couples where there is a very substantial age difference and where the farang guy was not made of money. I saw genuine love and affection and not a parasite/host relationship. In one case where a fellow died (in his 90's I recall) there was genuine and sincere mourning by his wife - not popping of champagne corks.

Are we talking about the same man (Italian)? If that is the case his Thai wife/girlfriend stopped her bussiness to take care of him and spend all her savings for his medicals. The felllow promised that she don't had to worry he made some preparations for her after he died. Result she lost everything and was broke and is now trying to pick up her life a again at the age of 40 with 2 grow up sons who like to go university.

Don't start that old chestnut neeranam. its got nothing to do with this topic and, just so you know, farang is the word of choice for most thai people when referring to foreigners of unknown nationality, and any Thai person would know this :o

Fact is, LadyPenelope has it right, if you feel you must test your spouse's (or girlfriend) loyalty then your relationship has serious issues and will not last. Mistrust is a big relationship killer.

you shouldn't be overly paranoid, for one thing. but some signs are- poor family, speaks good english, happily takes money when offered (or even outright asks for it) and doesn't pay it back, drinks/smokes/gambles a lot, has a "brother" hanging around all the time... i am sure many of the men on here can contribute.

I have friend who was scammed by a woman he was with for 1 year-she let his business get underway and then caused the trouble he has now because he could not give her the money she ask for...she also said he assaulted her (she got her friend to make marks on her) and then the police took his passport. The court case is not untill February and even though she has now dropped all the charges he cannot get back his passport till after the 'court' date. He has been living in the jungle for 5 months eating whatever he can get from local villagers(who have nothing themselves)-he is covered in bites- he has had a mild heart attack but didn't have the money for medical help. He does not want to live anymore because no one can help him. The consulate has done nothing to help because they say it's not their territory. The solicitor is useless and even though he is dying there he cannot get back to the UK for help---he is depressed and suicidal and no one is helping him to get back his passport. The legal system there 'sucks'..you have no 'rights' unless you are Thai

you shouldn't be overly paranoid, for one thing. but some signs are- poor family, speaks good english, happily takes money when offered (or even outright asks for it) and doesn't pay it back, drinks/smokes/gambles a lot, has a "brother" hanging around all the time... i am sure many of the men on here can contribute.

I have friend who was scammed by a woman he was with for 1 year-she let his business get underway and then caused the trouble he has now because he could not give her the money she ask for...she also said he assaulted her (she got her friend to make marks on her) and then the police took his passport. The court case is not untill February and even though she has now dropped all the charges he cannot get back his passport till after the 'court' date. He has been living in the jungle for 5 months eating whatever he can get from local villagers(who have nothing themselves)-he is covered in bites- he has had a mild heart attack but didn't have the money for medical help. He does not want to live anymore because no one can help him. The consulate has done nothing to help because they say it's not their territory. The solicitor is useless and even though he is dying there he cannot get back to the UK for help---he is depressed and suicidal and no one is helping him to get back his passport. The legal system there 'sucks'..you have no 'rights' unless you are Thai

All of that seems a tad " extreme " to be honest...

Not saying that it isn't the case as i hope you wouldn't just post a lie but from a Guy starting a Business to a Courcase which has been dropped yet the Guy is living in the Jungle being given Handouts from Peasants, does seem a little extreme if you ask me, & excuse me for thinking so..

The only bad relationships i have seen in thailand with farang/thai are always the farang fault.

i know this is not always the case but i can only go by my 5 years here and as i say,the farangs go out most nights,smoke heavy,give no repect to the lady,shout at her in public.i could go on more but thats my view.i am not saying the ladies are the best in the world but they are decent human beings unlike what some farangs think.

some of these guys are english/ozzy/welsh/new zealand/danish,so you cant say one race is worse than the other

:o

Thai ladies generally become involved in relationships with farang gents because they have suffered a bad marriage with a previous Thai spouse who go out most nights, smoke heavy, give no respect

I agree to a certain extent,but there are plenty of farang ladies who would disagree on here,and i have a few good thai friends and they are all hardworking business men,police,motorbike taxi drivers etc.married and realy look after their wives.

Hello Ritasky , you say you have a FRIEND who is living in the JUNGLE under terrible conditions , all i can say is that sounds like a TERRIBLE friendship your FRIEND is engaged in , ALL ONE WAY , he is your friend but you obviously are not his or you would be taking care of him . I have taken better care of people I never knew in my life before the day I stopped to give them a hand up , you should hang your head in shame . :o

(LadyPenelope @ 2009-01-02 19:16:33) *

Educated?

neeranam.

I was thinking the same as you, an educated thai lady without the capital T in Thai.. that would never happen...

(i did type out a response, then deleted it incase 'she' was a real Thai lady posting on here)

answer OP.

You have no idea of course until it happens... but you can take notice of the warning signs.. always a good idea to ask your real close friends on their opinion about your girl.

Probably hundreds of farangs living alone in the jungle somewhere, sneaking onto local farms to steal a chicken or two, then retreating back to their tree-top paradise. Just remember that next time you go rambling in outer amphoe-land, all those eyes watching you!

The only bad relationships i have seen in thailand with farang/thai are always the farang fault.

i know this is not always the case but i can only go by my 5 years here and as i say,the farangs go out most nights,smoke heavy,give no repect to the lady,shout at her in public.i could go on more but thats my view.i am not saying the ladies are the best in the world but they are decent human beings unlike what some farangs think.

some of these guys are english/ozzy/welsh/new zealand/danish,so you cant say one race is worse than the other

:D

Thai ladies generally become involved in relationships with farang gents because they have suffered a bad marriage with a previous Thai spouse who go out most nights, smoke heavy, give no respect

Or have more ladies!!

:o:D:D

Sorry, you're kidding yourself, Thai women go out with farang men 'cos they think there's money there.

Full stop, no other reason.

"Some"

There are a lot of men who have this rose tinted spectacle idea that they are saving their girl from life in the bar. Sometimes they do, more often not!

Many women have been abandoned by their husbands, left holding the baby literally. They see others who have gone to work in Pattaya or bangkok and returned with a rich Farang husband. In no time at all they have a new motorbike, maybe a car and building a new house. They compare their situation with these other girls and obviously want the same.

They go in search of a rich man, but almost invariably they have to work in the bar and all that means.

There is nothing wrong with that in my eyes, they are looking for a better life.

What is wrong is when they do find a man who is willing to take care of them, some are never satisfied , the greed takes over.

Wages have increased lately in the area I live. Now ordinary working people seem to be on an average of 200 Bt a day, when work is available. If 2 adults in the household working, will have a monthly family income of about 10,000 Bt when times are good and half that when not so much available. But sometimes nearly zero. These people don't have beautiful houses, don't have cars, only a motorbike, but they are happy with their lot.

A friend of my lady is in my opinion one of the bad ones. Unusually, her child is living with it's father and she pays nothing to support it. She has an American boyfriend who can only visit a few months each year and sends her 20,000 baht every month. He has also paid 650,000 to build a house for her. Most families would be over the moon with a house and income like this, but she is a single person and still not satisfied. She complains that her boyfriend is stingy. She was recently working, plying her trade in Pattaya and one of her customers, an Australian took a shine to her and after 5 days had promised to support her. She went back to her village as her American was due to visit and he went home to Australia with the promise to send 10,000 Baht every month. She told my lady that she was worried that the Australian lied to her and wouldn't fulfill his promise. That's the joke, she's worried that HE lied to HER! This girl is a scammer, a liar and a cheat!

The problem is the amount of stupid foreigners that just throw money at these girls, buying cars and houses after knowing them for 5 minutes. They set precedents and the Thais think that all Farang can do this. Now it is expected. Many Thais really do think that every farang can just throw away a few million Baht and think nothing of it.

I grew up in a poor household, My father worked all hours to support us 6 Kids. My father did his best for us and I am grateful for that. We were poor by today's standards but we were happy. Because of my childhood, I appreciate the value of money, the security and I am careful, not stingy but careful. I love going out and spending money, but only if I can afford it and as long as I have something to fall back on. I think about the future.

With many if not most poor Thais, the opposite applies. If income doubles, expenditure trebles. My lady used to have an income of 4000 Baht per month to support herself and 2 children. Now she has 1000 Baht a week , for want of a better word, pocket money. This she can do with what she likes. I pay all the bills and groceries. I control the money, I have to. If I don't control the finances her spending will spiral beyond all reason, and certainly beyond my income. This is NOT scamming , this is just her inability to economise and spend within her means. From what I have seen a poor Thai can cope with a low income usually, but finds it impossible to cope with a relatively high income.

My wife has all the money and I rarely look at the bank account it never even crosses my mind she will run off with it. Married 2 years known each other for 3.

Yabaaaa, I'm not sure if you have read my post properly as I do not see how your reply is relevant.

Your situation is different to most people here, your wife has the money, not you. We don't know if your wife came from a poor background or a middle class/wealthy family.

My post was meant to show that not all Thai girls are scammers, but some are unable to cope with sudden (relative) wealth. I have had many problems regarding finances with my lady,some of them stem from other people sticking their noses in. ie "If you have a Farang why don't you have a car, why aren't you dripping with gold?" etc etc. Peer pressure can be a bad thing at times. Because of pressure from other people, she tried to put pressure on me to spend more, she wasn't scamming just giving in to pressure from others. It's this strange mentality here, I believe that for some time my lady was a little ashamed that I only had 10 times the income of the average Thai here.

Her attitude has changed now, she realises that it's more important that her children have a good father who takes his responsibilities seriously and makes sure that the household is well taken care of.

I had a bit of extra cash last month and was able to spend an additional 60,000 Baht - new fridge freezer, washing machine etc. I do know that she enjoyed rubbing this in with some of these people, especially the one who referred to me as Kii Nok Farang. For those who don't know, that is worse than Kii Neow. Difficult to translate, but means something like worthless, no good, low class backpacker.

Yes I understood your post.

My wife is one of ten kids, father dissapeared a long time ago never offered any support to her or Mum. Mum and Dad now both dead. She came to bangkok at 14 worked and saved to do a degree to better herself. With her degree she went for better paid jobs. She doesnt have a lot of money but saves like crazy.

From all the posts here about Thai women anyone who visited would think ALL Thai women are no good aas that's all we ever seem to hear. Of course its rubbish to a large ,the bulk of the population are not desperate bargilrs trawling for men.

So she was quite poor but never starving and now is in charge of a fair amount of money and assets but she's still careful thankfully.

I'll await the "she's in it for the long term " quotes now!!

Oh I have little cash but plenty of assets scattered about.

Edited by yabaaaa

My first experience with a Thai g/f was good but i went bonkers in the head for a bit and stopped the relationship, but she was from a poor background sent half her 16,000k per month to mom and dad and brothers... still does!

I let her look after my money for a year and she did nothing but save and spend a bit on essentials, she never once took a dip for other people etc.

But, i did end up paying for things like new motorcycle for mom and dad and a never to pay back loan to brothers wife for a business etc.. but i didnt mind at the time

BUT It was this sort of thing that made me go bananas in the end, and i had to escape... i wanted equality for her but knew it would never happen in the money stakes......

You will be expected to dip into your pocket, its only natural....

-------------------------

Now current g/f and to be wife is opposite.. she gives me money ! when we go out she says its important that i pay in front of her friends, not share like westerners... then on the way home she always gives me the money back, sometimes she gives me money before we arrive...!

i go along with this... it makes me laugh....

but i still have a nagging suspicions about this behaviour!! suspicions about what i dont know! "think too much!"

You cannot win, go with the flow and see what happens...

I may be sen to be stirring the pot, but lets say I, as a western woman, work and send half my money home to my parents. This could be in Thailand, or back i the west. OK, I meet one of you blokes, and we start a relationship. (I will refrain from using the word 'love' at this point). How would you react if i asked you to buy ME a motorbike or to build MY folks a new house because theirs was broken?

Is there any difference if I happen to come from a poor family in the west?

Speaking honestly, if a man asked me to look after his money, I would find that a bit weird, and I would refuse to do it. If a man offered to give me a motorbike, I would have to wonder what I had to do in return for it.

After all, theres no such thing as a free lunch, is there? Or is that just my suspicious western mind?

I may be sen to be stirring the pot, but lets say I, as a western woman, work and send half my money home to my parents. This could be in Thailand, or back i the west. OK, I meet one of you blokes, and we start a relationship. (I will refrain from using the word 'love' at this point). How would you react if i asked you to buy ME a motorbike or to build MY folks a new house because theirs was broken?

Is there any difference if I happen to come from a poor family in the west?

Speaking honestly, if a man asked me to look after his money, I would find that a bit weird, and I would refuse to do it. If a man offered to give me a motorbike, I would have to wonder what I had to do in return for it.

After all, theres no such thing as a free lunch, is there? Or is that just my suspicious western mind?

Thats funny donna, :o . but no im afraid he would let you starve as it just isnt the same riding up to issan on the white charger as it is say to bradford !.its the thai peasant/saving one they like,..and your scenario of an attractive western lady 25yrs his junior "falling for him " is only a dream,.lets face it a farang with a pittance can be king in his own eyes in thailand, whereby in his home country, hes just that,a farang with a pittance, and no catch,. and anyway, a woman from the west ( uk ) will never be broke or starve as there is " social security " !.although im not sure they wil supply a motorbike .and to answer your last sentence. " ride for a ride " :D

Welcome.

Now that is the million dollar question :o

Who said it is a bad idea?

Men are inheritly unfaithful and if that is something that bothers you, try your new man out.

"Men are as faithful as their options."

True so true

Rubbish.

It's an excuse <deleted> use to draw everybody down to their level.

Edited by OlRedEyes

ok Ill bite......

I constantly see remarks about thai women only wanting money, and ofcourse the added element of: older farang guy and younger thai woman. cannot be anything but for money.

Am not going to argue against or for what happens in each of these cases, perhaps its true that majority are based on some financial benefits (but most relationships involve financial securities of some sort anyway)

but the point Id like to contest is the mentality of many that seem so bent on portraying all thai women as being money grabbing selfish people.

here's a recent scenario I witnessed in one of the western country just this weekend:

a group of 3 or 4 very young, very attractive western women..out on a night in the bar. they were seated beside a table of older western men. without wanting to be discriminatory...but lets say they were not Brad Pitt or Daniel Craig or George Clooney or Thierry Henry or Will Smith lookalikes. One of them walked over to the girls table, with a bottle of bubbly. a minute later she signalled the rest of the girlfriends that they should join the next table.

ermm excuse me, without knowing the facts - I wonder what motivated them?

another occasion - at an art gallery opening night, again in one of the western countries. a very old man introduced himself to me and starts being really friendly. initially polite. informs me he is expecting a couple of friends to join him. they turn up..being very young very attractive females, who display lets say a very affectionate disposition for him. he later tries to take me out on a date - by offering fancy dinners and parties. I dont think it would be too presumptous to say he had the other women on some sort of "arrangement"

these are what seem to be educated, capable of providing for themselves financially. (in the first case - these girls are out in a CBD location of a big city - so I would say they are not broke or starving. in the second case I had the chance to speak to the other women, and would say they are educated and have a career). Yet, they dont hesitate to enter into a financially beneficial arrangment with men that they cant be attracted to (first case they had not spoken, barely exchanged words)

none of these 2 scenarios involved thai women.

my point is - there are people that are motivated by different things in every nationality and every ethnicity. stop making general sweeping statements about people based on their race.

(and yes Im aware of the irony of me making general assumption that the girls couldnt have been attracted to the older men in the scenarios described. They could very well be, I have no way of knowing, cos I dont know them. But am using these as examples to illustrate based on the same scenario many have repeatedly posted in terms of the older men with younger women )