Out Clubbing In Bangkok? Be Ready For Drug Test

george

Out clubbing in Bangkok? Be ready for drug test

Police raid nightclubs as part of 'social order' campaign

BANGKOK: -- Police burst into the dark nightclub after midnight, weave through the crowd and lock the doors, trapping nearly 400 bewildered customers inside. The lights flicker on and a voice over loudspeakers orders everyone to submit to urine tests for drugs.

It’s part of a three-year-old “social order” campaign to curb drug abuse that has cast a damper over Saturday night partying in Bangkok.

It started in 2001 with the then interior minister, Purachai Piemsomboon, leading television crews into the neon-lit venues on high-profile busts. He has since gone on to higher office, but his “Mr. Clean” title has passed to Pracha Maleenont, a former entertainment business and TV station owner, who hasn’t missed a beat in seeking to tame Bangkok’s famously freewheeling nightlife.

“The rules are there and so easy to follow,” Pracha, 57, said after taking office as deputy interior minister in late 2002. “Don’t do anything illegal and I’ll leave you alone.”

'An annual event'

On a recent night, authorities trained their sights on the Q Bar, a chic Thai-owned establishment often packed with Thai and foreign customers.

Waving flashlights, about 50 officers in brown uniforms or civilian clothes moved through the club, handing out sample bottles to the men and women. Woozy customers, men and women, crowded into bathrooms. Someone vomited. Others cursed the police, denying they had taken drugs. The operation went on for about three hours, ending after 3 a.m.

Each had to hand a sample to health workers who came with the police, and had to show ID. But there was no system for making sure a customer handed in his or her own urine, and some said they provided samples for others.

“It’s pretty much an annual event. It’s a little bit like Christmas,” said Richard Lofthouse, Q Bar’s general manager. “It seems the last few years it’s happened around exactly the same time — August-September.”

Guests who passed got a green stamp on their forearm. Just two out of 373 people tested positive, and were later cleared, according to club sources who asked not to be identified. The tests cannot distinguish between illicit drugs and legal medications, police say.

Harsh penalties

Even the absence of drugs is no protection against trouble. Last year, police tried to make the club prohibit dancing because it allegedly didn’t have the appropriate license, Lofthouse said. And this time around, 104 foreigners were bused to a police station where they were fined a small sum for not carrying their passport.

Had drugs or underage guests been found in the Q Bar, police could have closed it for 30 days. All the same, and even though no charges were filed, police threatened to shut down the club for a week, but relented when managers suggested the matter be settled in court.

Interior Ministry officials said statistics on the number and frequency of the raids were not available, but police say they raid nightclubs every week.

The crackdown is part of a campaign by Prime Minister Thaksin Shinawatra’s government to fight drugs and promote what it calls traditional values. Last year, Thaksin launched a violent war on drugs that left 2,300 suspected dealers dead and provoked accusations of human rights violations. Nightspots outside designated entertainment areas have to close earlier and youths under 18 are subject to a curfew.

--AP 2004-11-01

• Replies 166
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Had drugs or underage guests been found in the Q Bar, police could have closed it for 30 days. All the same, and even though no charges were filed, police threatened to shut down the club for a week, but relented when managers suggested the matter be settled in court.

Maybe someone is refusing to pay tea money?

Cannot blame the government for wanting to clean the nightlife scene up.

I think they will eventually crackdown on sex tourism, then we will see how all you good Thailand loving people react.

For me, I would welcome it.

But as far as the urine testing goes, why worry about it ? Unless you are doing illegal drugs it will not land you in the shit.

Don't do drugs in Thailand and carry your Passport, easy rules to follow.

I wish some minister in the UK had the balls to come up with such a scheme for good old Great Britain.

The UK is awash with drugs and all the social problems that go along with that. Why travel across the world to do the same things in Thailand ?

Thailand will make the rules, it is up to Thaiiland to enforce or ignore the Laws. We as Farangs do have a choice, Thai people in general do not, we do not have to come here, most Thais cannot leave.

A bunch of complaining Farangs don't hold much sway.

Don't break the law and you will be OK. Same as everywhere else.

""""""""So what. Just don`t take drugs and you will not have a problem. """""""""

Not quite. If you are there, you have probelms. Your happy night is ruined.

You waste 2 hours with the boys in brown treating you as if you are guilty.

(If they did not think that some customers were guilty, they would

not be there.) You are forced to stay until 3:00am, which is well past my

bedtime. You have to pee in a bag. Thank God it is a only a urine test.

""""""""So what. Just don`t take drugs and you will not have a problem. """""""""

Not quite.  If you are there, you have probelms. Your happy night is ruined. 

All part of The Thailand experience.

Times are changing, learn to adapt with the changes.

but why pick on the falang areas.

Thaksins war on drugs is won perhaps!!!! :o

you would think more suitable uses of the polices time could be found.....how about all the teenage boys carrying gus for a start.

When in rome do as the Romans do and kwit kumpainin....

your pal,

Sully

Out clubbing in Bangkok? Be ready for drug test

Police raid nightclubs as part of 'social order' campaign

BANGKOK: -- Police burst into the dark nightclub after midnight, weave through the crowd and lock the doors, trapping nearly 400 bewildered customers inside. The lights flicker on and a voice over loudspeakers orders everyone to submit to urine tests for drugs.

It’s part of a three-year-old “social order” campaign to curb drug abuse that has cast a damper over Saturday night partying in Bangkok.

It started in 2001 with the then interior minister, Purachai Piemsomboon, leading television crews into the neon-lit venues on high-profile busts. He has since gone on to higher office, but his “Mr. Clean” title has passed to Pracha Maleenont, a former entertainment business and TV station owner, who hasn’t missed a beat in seeking to tame Bangkok’s famously freewheeling nightlife.

“The rules are there and so easy to follow,” Pracha, 57, said after taking office as deputy interior minister in late 2002. “Don’t do anything illegal and I’ll leave you alone.”

'An annual event'

On a recent night, authorities trained their sights on the Q Bar, a chic Thai-owned establishment often packed with Thai and foreign customers.

Waving flashlights, about 50 officers in brown uniforms or civilian clothes moved through the club, handing out sample bottles to the men and women. Woozy customers, men and women, crowded into bathrooms. Someone vomited. Others cursed the police, denying they had taken drugs. The operation went on for about three hours, ending after 3 a.m.

Each had to hand a sample to health workers who came with the police, and had to show ID. But there was no system for making sure a customer handed in his or her own urine, and some said they provided samples for others.

“It’s pretty much an annual event. It’s a little bit like Christmas,” said Richard Lofthouse, Q Bar’s general manager. “It seems the last few years it’s happened around exactly the same time — August-September.”

Guests who passed got a green stamp on their forearm. Just two out of 373 people tested positive, and were later cleared, according to club sources who asked not to be identified. The tests cannot distinguish between illicit drugs and legal medications, police say.

Harsh penalties

Even the absence of drugs is no protection against trouble. Last year, police tried to make the club prohibit dancing because it allegedly didn’t have the appropriate license, Lofthouse said. And this time around, 104 foreigners were bused to a police station where they were fined a small sum for not carrying their passport.

Interior Ministry officials said statistics on the number and frequency of the raids were not available, but police say they raid nightclubs every week.

The crackdown is part of a campaign by Prime Minister Thaksin Shinawatra’s government to fight drugs and promote what it calls traditional values. Last year, Thaksin launched a violent war on drugs that left 2,300 suspected dealers dead and provoked accusations of human rights violations. Nightspots outside designated entertainment areas have to close earlier and youths under 18 are subject to a curfew.

--AP 2004-11-01

Times are changing, learn to adapt with the changes

All part of The Thailand experience.

That's right.

Be accepting of government control and harassment. You don't need rights and freedom. Doctor John likes his fascism so make no comments.

Have no wrong thoughts.

War is Peace.

Vote Bush.

but why pick on the falang areas.

Thaksins war on drugs is won perhaps!!!! :D

you would think more suitable uses of the polices time could be found.....how about all the teenage boys carrying gus for a start.

Cos that is where Farangs are taking drugs!!!

You know about Teenage boys carrying guns because you see it on the news after they are arrested.

Just say NO to drugs. :o

I don't do drugs, nor do I go clubbing...

But what I do not like is the pattern that I see. The pattern that I see is that Thailand is trying to make foriengers feel as unwelcomed as possible.

Imagine if the cops came into China town night clubs and did this in America. There would be an uproar.

Yes it is Thailand, and they can do as they please. I agree with this concept. I just wish I could feel welcomed in Thailand and live in peace.

But what I do not like is the pattern that I see. The pattern that I see is that  Thailand is trying to make foriengers feel as unwelcomed as possible.

Imagine if the cops came into China town night clubs and did this in America. There would be an uproar.

Yes it is Thailand, and they can do as they please. I agree with this concept. I just wish I could feel welcomed in Thailand and live in peace.

The drug busts are NOT limited to "farang" places. The vast majority are taking place in Thai only or mostly-Thai venues. You just don't hear about them as much on the farang-oriented message boards, that's all.

But what I do not like is the pattern that I see. The pattern that I see is that  Thailand is trying to make foriengers feel as unwelcomed as possible.

So Thailand should be like America ? Right, real safe place to go.

I feel welcome in Thailand and i live in Peace. Then again, I do not break Thailands laws.

Just say NO to drugs.

I've been caught in a few of these pee pee test fiasco's. They are incredibly stupid for a number of reasons but here is a short list:

A ) As the article points out anyone taking any fun drugs immediately switches their pee for someone who is sober, thus making the tests useless. I myself have happily pissed for friend in need.

B ) The tests will pick up many prescription or non fun drugs as a positive result. I know a guy who takes Phentermine for weight loss who had to bribe his way out of a positive test.

C ) If your test is positive bribing you way out is certainly an option, thus making these tests even more redundant than they already are.

D ) They are useless as a deterrent for drug use which I assume is their intended purpose.

E ) Man power could be spent on catching actual drug dealers NOT drug users.

1. Woozy customers, men and women, crowded into bathrooms. Someone vomited. Others cursed the police, denying they had taken drugs. The operation went on for about three hours, ending after 3 a.m.

2. Each had to hand a sample to health workers who came with the police, and had to show ID. But there was no system for making sure a customer handed in his or her own urine, and some said they provided samples for others.

3.  The tests cannot distinguish between illicit drugs and legal medications, police say.

4. 104 foreigners were bused to a police station where they were fined a small sum for not carrying their passport.

5. Last year, Thaksin launched a violent war on drugs that left 2,300 suspected dealers dead and provoked accusations of human rights violations.

Five reasons why it's a bad deal with these drug testings and passport requirements.

Add to that the damage to Thailand tourism and it's international reputation and it's clear to see this is the wrong thing to do.

Cannot blame the government for wanting to clean the nightlife scene up.

I think they will eventually crackdown on sex tourism, then we will see how all you good Thailand loving people react.

For me, I would welcome it.

But as far as the urine testing goes,  why worry about it ? Unless you are doing illegal drugs it will not land you in the shit.

Don't do drugs in Thailand and carry your Passport, easy rules to follow.

I wish some minister in the UK had the balls to come up with such a scheme for good old Great Britain.

The UK is awash with drugs and all the social problems that go along with that. Why travel across the world to do the same things in Thailand ?

Thailand will make the rules, it is up to Thaiiland to enforce or ignore the Laws. We as Farangs do have a choice, Thai people in general do not, we do not have to come here, most Thais cannot leave.

A bunch of complaining Farangs don't hold much sway.

Don't break the law and you will be OK. Same as everywhere else.

1. Woozy customers, men and women, crowded into bathrooms. Someone vomited. Others cursed the police, denying they had taken drugs. The operation went on for about three hours, ending after 3 a.m.

2. Each had to hand a sample to health workers who came with the police, and had to show ID. But there was no system for making sure a customer handed in his or her own urine, and some said they provided samples for others.

3.  The tests cannot distinguish between illicit drugs and legal medications, police say.

4. 104 foreigners were bused to a police station where they were fined a small sum for not carrying their passport.

5. Last year, Thaksin launched a violent war on drugs that left 2,300 suspected dealers dead and provoked accusations of human rights violations.

Five reasons why it's a bad deal with these drug testings and passport requirements.

Add to that the damage to Thailand tourism and it's international reputation and it's clear to see this is the wrong thing to do.

International reputation ? Haha....................................right.

If i was PM of this country I would close down places like Pattaya without notice.

Farangs complain, consider the Thai people that have no choice where they live. They also are tested.

Many Thai's would love to go to some place like Amsterdam and walk around with a joint in their hand, sit on a beach in Spain and roll up a Fat one...........

Alas, for many Thai's, they do not have that choice, Farangs do.

International reputation ? Haha....................................right.

If i was PM of this country I would close down places like Pattaya without notice.

Farangs complain, consider the Thai people that have no choice where they live. They also are tested.

Many Thai's would love to go to some place like Amsterdam and walk around with a joint in their hand, sit on a beach in Spain and roll up a Fat one...........

Alas, for many Thai's, they do not have that choice, Farangs do.

Gee.... between IamMaiC nuking the entire Deep South and you closing Pattaya entirely, Thailand doesn't have much of a future.

I do consider the Thai's situation and I would encourage them in their efforts to be afforded due process of law, similiar to what personage in the remaining world enjoy.

Thank you for not addressing #2, 3, 4, and 5 above. They stand on their merits unchallenged. It's much easier for you to assume these "tests" are infallible.

So Doctorjohn's answer is go someplace else and feel real sorry for the Thai's because they cant!!. You seem to be missing the point here (by several miles). If Thailand wanted to get serious about its drug problem, (and it is a big problem), Then it needs to shut down the source. Unfortunatley as Dear Leader shut down the only effective anti-drug units and transferred the successful commanders from the Border, the pipeline has become a multilane highway. Maybe not wanting to ruffle the feathers of the Burmese because of the nice fat contracts in telecomms is part of the problem.

I guess Doctorjohn john's advice to all the Non-drug taking tourists who just want to have a good time without having their rights trodden on is to "go somewhere else" as well.

Catching a couple of Farangs for smoking a joint or taking ecstacy may be great headlines but it does nothing to cure the drug problem in Thailand. The huge increase in crime and drug use since the start of the social (dis)order campaign, has proved what a complete fiasco it has become.

regards

Freddie

You can blame the Swedes for this. Their government started this crap. Substance Abuse Counselors, cops, Lawyer/Prosecuters/Judges and probation officers have to ensure that they will have plenty of work for them. Sweden went from being tolerant to now randomly entering discos and singling out individuals that they deem "wacked". They take you to the toilet and give you a piss test. If you come up dirty, you can count on being charged, and spending a fortune in counseling and repeated drug tests. Failure to comply will land you in Jail. The US will probably start doing this as well..The Patriot Act will make such Orwelian practices easier. So far so good....

Try doing the same thing in Singapore.

Singapore is about as boring as it comes. I should hate to see Thailand go the same way

Well I don't do clubbing anymore. I love to dance but there aren't many dance floors on Phuket as the clubs can't afford the ridicilous "dance-floor tax". Where else in the world has a dance floor tax and dance-floor police (p-l-e-e-e-e-a-s-e!!)

But the big thing that turned me off clubbing was a nightclub raid I experienced here on Phuket last year. We were not only pee-tested but had TV cameras shoved in our faces. I had nothing to hide but I hid my face as I have a responsible job here and could not afford to be seen on TV. Many of my friends were recognised from the subsequent footage that was aired on the local news channel.

We were then herded into pick-up trucks and transported to the local hospital for lab tests, taken to the local police station for "processing", fined for "After-hours" drinking and finally released at 8 am the following day.Our after-hours drinking consisted of finishing up our drinks at closing time (then 2am) but the police burst in soon after. To say the least, I felt a little victimised. It really turned me off going anywhere other than a local neighbourhood bar.

No fun, no tourists, no dollars. Think about the future of your tourist economy Mr Thaksin. :o

The crackdown is part of a campaign by Prime Minister Thaksin Shinawatra’s government to fight drugs and promote what it calls traditional values.

what the F**? traditional values? Naked whores dancing around poles in Patpong? That is allowed while fun loving clubbers are persecuted?

The club I Dj'ed at was shut at 12 forcibly on Halloween night because the police felt like it?

thailand is dying on its arse. Good riddance to it.

I'm half Thai too!

So Doctorjohn's answer is go someplace else and feel real sorry for the Thai's because they cant!!. You seem to be missing the point here (by several miles). If Thailand wanted to get serious about its drug problem, (and it is a big problem), Then it needs to shut down the source. Unfortunatley as Dear Leader shut down the only effective anti-drug units and transferred the successful commanders from the Border, the pipeline has become a multilane highway. Maybe not wanting to ruffle the feathers of the Burmese because of the nice fat contracts in telecomms is part of the problem.

I guess Doctorjohn john's advice to all the Non-drug taking tourists who just want to have a good time without having their rights trodden on is to "go somewhere else" as well.

Catching a couple of Farangs for smoking a joint or taking ecstacy may be great headlines but it does nothing to cure the drug problem in Thailand. The huge increase in crime and drug use since the start of the social (dis)order campaign, has proved what a complete fiasco it has become.

regards

Freddie

Discouraging users of drugs will effect drug taking.

This is Thailand, Thailand makes the laws, you are free to break the laws if you are also prepared to face the penalty.

Farang from the UK and USA to give advice to Thailand on how to deal with drug problems in society ? :o

Hahaha.................Right, no problems in those countries is there ?