Best Tailor In Pattaya?

immortalinthailand

Having only tried tailors in Bangkok, I can’t really answer for Pattaya.

However, after trying some of the most highly recommended tailors in Bangkok I have come to the conclusion that you can’t find decent tailored suits in Thailand.

When I want something of high quality, I am back to buying off the rack (Givenchy, Salvatore Ferragamo, Paul Smith - I am an average size so fit isn't usually an issue).

For something of normal quality Zara and Next do a better job than tailors here and once you find an ‘off the rack’ suit that fits your body, minor adjustments can be made if necessary.

IMO: Tailors here do make a decent fit, but the quality is never quite up to scratch and the suit doesn’t last past one dry clean. I’ve given up on Tailors in Thailand.

I have a couple of friends who present themselves impeccably at weddings, functions etc, they too no longer purchase suits tailored in Thailand.

James Fashion on North Pattaya Road, opposite Health Land massage place.

His company is also listed in the National Geographic's The 10 Best of Everything, albeit his James Fashion shop in Bangkok.

I see many Russian visit the shop here in Pattaya for clothing and I have friends who have had suits their and were happy. Personally, I've only needed trousers from them, happy also.

• 2 months later...

After doing many hours of research on posts-past on TV regarding tailors in Pattaya I have come up with two significant 'positives': Burda (opposite Friendship Supermarket) and Homoe's on the corner of Soi 5 Beach Road.

Does anyone have a positive final comment to make upon the above forementioned tailors with regards quality, cut and service?

Thanks.

I have some negatives and a positive. I went to Burdah (based on this forum) for a pair of trousers. We went through a couple of fittings. For the third fitting, they hadn't done anything since the 2nd fitting that I'd told them to do, for example, the seat was still way too tight--which was I guess their way of saying, "take it or leave it." A number of basic errors were made on their first try. Seemed like some young guy, practically a kid, was doing the actual work. So I gave up on Burdah. It's an extremely civilized, beautiful shop w/ an "old Siam" atmosphere, rather unique in Pattaya, and everyone was super nice. But looked like they are mainly into women's clothing. Any lady needs a beautiful silk dress, this would definitely be the place. Great selection of silk.

Uomo's did a much better job on trousers after a detailed specification (same I'd given Burdah, to little avail). Their "standard" trousers seem like something out of the 70s (to my eyes anyway), and the standard inner waistband is typical cheap Thai style. They don't seem to have a selection of really light, tropical weight material. However, what they do have isn't so bad. I ended up getting 3 pair and I'm happy with them. Cheaper than Burdah, too, very reasonable.

However, I then tried to get a shirt out of Uomo's after another detailed specification but they could never get it right. I forgot to specify double stitching on the seams (thought SURELY they'd know that, very basic on a good quality shirt), and so I got cheap-looking, weak single stitching. The fit was never quite right either, e. g., a little too much extra cloth just under the collar in the rear. After two fittings, nothing further was done, and so I won't be going back for any more shirts there, though I'd planned to get 3 more. It's a decent shirt but should be better. The trousers, now, would almost compare with work from HK or Japan, except in material. (I'm not an expert, but I'm probably a bit more discerning than your average tourist, having some experience anyway.)

Uomo's claims to do canvassed suits, even without the Dick Tracy padding in the shoulders de rigueur among Thai tailors. I dunno. I might trust them to copy a good suit I'd purchased elsewhere.

The Uomo tailoring center is the back of the jewelry shop and the "tailor," though personable enough, isn't always around. Better to visit and make an appt or call first.

I think I'm about done w/ Pattaya tailors, though I might give that Michelle near TQ1 a try (such convenient location; better go before rather than after a TQ visit!). I'm mostly thinking to try in BKK now. Rajah's, near Soi Nana, supposedly can do a good shirt.

I've had shirts made at Burda, Harry's Fashion (Walking Street & Soi 14), and Next Fashion. The quality is so similar that I'm convinced they all use the same sweat shop. Despite the praise that Burda has received on Thai Visa, their shirts shrunk after being washed. What did set Burda aside was that they charged me 900 baht per shirt, while other shops will charge as low as 500 baht for the same product.

FYI, Next Fashion was the worst of the three Pattaya tailors I've used. They used very low quality material to make my suit. Also, nothing fit correctly, yet they insisted all was fine. I cannot wear anything they've made me since the fit is awkward, to put it nicely.

I've had shirts made at Burda, Harry's Fashion (Walking Street & Soi 14), and Next Fashion. The quality is so similar that I'm convinced they all use the same sweat shop. Despite the praise that Burda has received on Thai Visa, their shirts shrunk after being washed. What did set Burda aside was that they charged me 900 baht per shirt, while other shops will charge as low as 500 baht for the same product.

FYI, Next Fashion was the worst of the three Pattaya tailors I've used. They used very low quality material to make my suit. Also, nothing fit correctly, yet they insisted all was fine. I cannot wear anything they've made me since the fit is awkward, to put it nicely.

After having a few shirts made some years ago in BKK, I learned to request sleeves at least 1 cm too long, because they always shrink, despite what the tailors say--and they always say "no shrink." Shrinkage in the body isn't that noticeable, but I do hate sleeves that are obviously too short! :/

Burda is definitely overpriced, glad somebody agreed w/ me. Of course, we might not mind paying a bit more for higher quality, but I certainly didn't get it. I regret to say so, because the shop and people are so nice. Well, maybe they did better work in the past . . . .

Interesting the varying opinions on Next. I can't stand that fighting w/ tailors to get them to do things right while they insist that all's well. I mean, there you are w/ Dick Tracy comic book shoulder pads, buttons that don't line up, and pants up your ass crack and they tell you how great you look, lol. Makes me crazy.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...