How To Install Firefox 3 On Ununtu?

astral

Help please.

I have Firefox 3 Beta as part of my Ubuntu setup and I want to change to the Release version.

I have downloaded the new file to the desktop but cannot work out how to get it installed.

Help please.

I have Firefox 3 Beta as part of my Ubuntu setup and I want to change to the Release version.

I have downloaded the new file to the desktop but cannot work out how to get it installed.

I'm assuming you have firefox-3.0.tar.bz2

First unzip it by right clicking it.

Or, you're going to have to open a terminal and insert the following,

note: * means you type in part of the filename and hit the tab key for auto-completion

cd Desktop

tar xvjf firefox-3.0.tar.bz2

You may need sudo before that last command.....

determine if it's executable or not

ls -la firefox*

if it says rwx****** you should be good. If not issue this command,

sudo chmod +x firefox*

than finally do this,

sudo ./firefox*

Follow the prompts and enjoy the release version!

This is a good example of why Linux is NOT ready for prime time. Downloads are difficult or impossible to install without adding code. It seems like everything I wanted to do involved adding code. No thanks.

This is a good example of why Linux is NOT ready for prime time. Downloads are difficult or impossible to install without adding code. It seems like everything I wanted to do involved adding code. No thanks.

Hmmm, I'm sure that soon enough it will be in Debian's/Ubuntu's repositories. However, Firefox3 was just released; can't blame the distro mantainers for want to test it before pushing it out in a easy to install binary.

Me same, I did not understand this topic... as my Ubuntu upgraded Firefox automatic.... Better I have more problems with Windows updates then ever with Ubuntu updates.

Still, Linux is a open operating system and some people just like to do things manual, that is possible it is a option not for the first amateur, but at least you have the option.

Why I belief MS-Windows is NOT ready for prime time, you installed MS-Internet Explorer 7.0 and found that some web applications work not as you expected. So you think role back, which is a Windows XP option if your read the manual, but sorry it not works exactly as you would expect. Or what, you bought for some amount music from Microsoft online, while you where using Mircrosoft Mediaplayer 9 or 10, now you upgraded to Mediaplayer 11 and installed the latest updates now you are not able to play this Microsoft Media files (files which you legally paid for at the now closed Microsoft shop).

Me same, I did not understand this topic... as my Ubuntu upgraded Firefox automatic.... Better I have more problems with Windows updates then ever with Ubuntu updates.

Still, Linux is a open operating system and some people just like to do things manual, that is possible it is a option not for the first amateur, but at least you have the option.

I'm used to building stuff from source, so that's what I usually recommend. I am not however, a Gentoo fanatic, so it's not the speed that I'm looking for!

Why I belief MS-Windows is NOT ready for prime time, you installed MS-Internet Explorer 7.0 and found that some web applications work not as you expected. So you think role back, which is a Windows XP option if your read the manual, but sorry it not works exactly as you would expect. Or what, you bought for some amount music from Microsoft online, while you where using Mircrosoft Mediaplayer 9 or 10, now you upgraded to Mediaplayer 11 and installed the latest updates now you are not able to play this Microsoft Media files (files which you legally paid for at the now closed Microsoft shop).

What you mean those DRM media files you cant play on linux at all ??

I think Richard-BKK was indicating that he could not play his legally purchased DRM-protected MP3 files on his M$-Windows system after he upgraded to MediaPlayer 11.

I would be impressed if he were able to play the same MP3 files under Linux. As far as I know, that is not possible (without going thru the run-around*).

* The run-around involves converting the MP3 file(s) to the standard format (CDA) used for music CDs, then ripping the tracks from the CD back to MP3 files. The first step (creating the CDAs) will strip away the DRM cr*p.

Matter of fact I can play my media files in Linux, this is possible by installing a set of codecs (Which are modified Windows codecs). If you installed the right additional software repository you can just select win32 codecs from the list and all installation is automatic.

Matter of fact I can play my media files in Linux, this is possible by installing a set of codecs (Which are modified Windows codecs). If you installed the right additional software repository you can just select win32 codecs from the list and all installation is automatic.

And now do the same with any DRM protected content !!

My point was Dave is saying windows is not ready for prime time because it (in some complex situation of upgrading lost his licenses and he hadnt backed them up) wouldnt play his DRM'ed files.. Yet Linux is ready for prime time yet wont EVER play those DRM'ed files.. Argument strikes me as silly.

Any Ununtu pre Hardy (8.04) will have to install Firefox 3 manually, by following dave_boo's example. All Hardy installs however will update itself though.

I take it that doesnt include Kubuntu based on Hardy then ??

I am a novice on linux but had to add the sources and even then manually apt get as they wouldnt show up in lists using the desktop tool.

When Hardy was released a decision was made to include Firefox 3 Beta, so it should be included on all Ubuntu version maybe except from Xubuntu.

I haven't tried Kubuntu myself, but I am very sure that it was meant to update to Firefox Final when it became available. I know that Ubuntu did so on my notebook.

On older versions like 7.10 you have to install it manually, since no new major versions are provided through the Update Manager. You will still receive security updates and bug fixes, but 7.10 came with 2.0x and will stay so.