Ten Famous National Parks To Limit Visitors

Famous national parks to limit visitors

Ten famous national parks will limit the amount of daily visitors from July 1 on.

- Huai Nam Dang National Park will have 1,134 overnight visitors and 850 daytime visitors

- Doi Phahompok National Park will have 1,000 overnight visitors and 1,100 daytime visitors

- Doi Inthanon National Park will have 800 overnight visitors and 2,500 daytime visitors

- Doi Suthep - Pui National Park will have 850 overnight visitors and 2,900 daytime visitors

- Phu Kradueng National Park will have 5,300 overnight visitors and 300 daytime visitors

- Khao Yai National Park will have 2,650 overnight visitors and 3,235 daytime visitors

- Erawan National Park will have 742 overnight visitors and 2,000 daytime visitors

- Kaeng Krachan National Park will have 1,500 overnight visitors and 1,500 daytime visitors

- Mu Koh Surin National park will have 620 overnight visitors and 6,520 daytime visitors

- Mu Koh Similan National Park will have 180 overnight visitors and 1,410 daytime visitors

Chalermsak Wanichsombat, Director-General of National Park, Wildlife and Plant Conservation Department, told a press conference yesterday that the limit would reduce the amount of visitors during holidays by half and by 2030 per cent during the normal days and thus affect the parks' income which used to collect a total of some 400 Million Baht per year. However, it would allow the parks' ecosystem to recover and help screen "good quality" visitors. Other national parks would start limiting visitors later on.

- The Nation

However, it would allow the parks' ecosystem to recover and help screen "good quality" visitors. Other national parks would start limiting visitors later on.

How does this allow them to screen "good quality" visitors? And just what is a "good quality" visitor anyway?

However, it would allow the parks' ecosystem to recover and help screen "good quality" visitors. Other national parks would start limiting visitors later on.

How does this allow them to screen "good quality" visitors? And just what is a "good quality" visitor anyway?

A farang paying 400 baht is good quality.

A Thai paying 40 baht isn't.

I wonder if they'll hold up all the Thais in case there's a bus load of farangs coming down the road?

" the limit would reduce the amount of visitors during holidays by half and by 2030 per cent during the normal days "

If these new figures are a reduction of over 2000 percent, they must have quite a few visitors at the moment !!

I am a very regular to Thailand's National Parks. I heavily suspect this will be enforced patchily, if at all.

I notice they have announced it in July (although it was mooted last year) when visitor numbers are low. The peak visiting times are the cool dry season, November - February and Songkran. In December, Doi Inthanon might have 5,000 - 10,000 people staying overnight. I simply cannot believe they will cut this to 800, it's too much lost revenue for not only the National Parks but also the villages and businesses operating in the parks.

And it's not only Doi Inthanon. Has anyone here been to Khao Yai over New Year? There are traffic jams within the park! Will they be turning them back at the gate in their thousands? This is not the Thai way.

I simply cannot see this being enforced to any extent.

I am a very regular to Thailand's National Parks.

me too, i know most of the best 'birding' NP's very well indeed

In December, Doi Inthanon might have 5,000 - 10,000 people staying overnight.

lol..

don't know where you plucked this figure from, but that amount of visitors certainly do not stay inside this national park

overnight at any time of the year..

i do agree that this new 'ruling' probably won't be enforced at all...

..me thinks that this anouncement is nothing more than a caring 'government soundbite' amid the ever growing concern over the well being of Thailand's natural jewel box - on this i'd love to be proved wrong.. alas, only time will tell... :o

Always glad to hear somebody else appreciates Thailand's beautiful National Parks.

I'm fairly confident on the figure for Doi Inthanon. I'm referring to weekends and public holidays in December. There are 2 official campsites. There are at least 2 campsites operated by Mong villagers. There are the National Park bungalows. There is Mr Daeng's hovel. There is the eco-camp run by the Karens. There is the now popular remoter campsite whose name escapes me.

A simple count of cars or tents will get you up to the numbers I'm referring to. It has to be seen to be believed.

Good luck with the birding.

Always glad to hear somebody else appreciates Thailand's beautiful National Parks.

I'm fairly confident on the figure for Doi Inthanon. I'm referring to weekends and public holidays in December. There are 2 official campsites. There are at least 2 campsites operated by Mong villagers. There are the National Park bungalows. There is Mr Daeng's hovel. There is the eco-camp run by the Karens. There is the now popular remoter campsite whose name escapes me.

A simple count of cars or tents will get you up to the numbers I'm referring to. It has to be seen to be believed.

Good luck with the birding.

yeah i know all that very well ( i know Mr Deang personally ).. but there is no way that this scattering of accomodation on DI could hold 5000 - 10000 people a night, thats all i was saying.. :o

As another National Park afficionado, I wonder how the Department will cope with the reported 400 million baht decrease in their budgeting. My understanding of the departmental budgeting system works is that all park fees are collectively shared and disbursed. Furthermore, that the majority of the funding for these parks is generated by admission fees and that very little funding is directly provided for by separate Treasury avenues.

What impact will this have on all parks when already so many of them are already in a dire state. Certainly the vast majority of these admission fee funds are already siphoned off and never reach back to the parks they are supposed to be improving, but will this make an already sad state of affairs even worse?

You would be a little annoyed if you travelled all the way to Khao Yai and was refused entry because the daily quota had been filled.

Would it be worth the risk to even consider going to a National Park knowing that you might be refused?

...I wonder how the Department will cope with the reported 400 million baht decrease in their budgeting.

Suggestion: Take down all the loudspeakers and connecting speaker wires that wake up campers at 5:30 a.m. with Bangkok Talk Radio which blares into the tents and cabins at full volume. Sell for scrap metal. That should recover at least half of the shortfall! :o

I agree that something needs to be done to limit the impact of mass tourism on fragile eco systems, but like others here, I doubt this is possible or realistic in the LOS.

My favorite national park, Khao Sok, is constantly under pressure from 'cheap charlie' day trippers from the river area and HUGE Thai groups. The noise, the trash, the number of people trampling over the trails, the amount of little pink tissues that end up in the lake (I guess Thais don't think of this as trash), etc... All of this adds up to an un-natural experience for those who are serious about appreciating nature in all its glory.

Something that I can't understand is that it is extremely common for BIG Thai groups to show up very late in the afternoon. They party hard all night (keeping everyone else awake) and then they get up early and leave. I don't see the point in coming to such a stunning destination to simply get drunk and make noise. They tend to bring their own food and drink, so the park makes very little money from them.

Now, I know some will think that I'm suggesting that only wealthy people be allowed in the park... no, I'm not suggesting that at all. All I'm suggesting is that the huge groups that come and spend almost no money and leave a negative impact on the park should be limited. Perhaps the park could turn away groups that aren't prepared to spend any money. They gripe about the cost of the longtail transfer, but they seem to have enough money for Johnny Walker. :o

The park law states that it is illegal to disturb wildlife or other tourists. If they would only enforce THIS law, I'd be a happy camper.

Now, how on earth the park authorities are going to do this is the big question. I think they're just making it look like they're on the job when if fact nothing will change. I hope I'm wrong. I'd love to be wrong here. :D

BTW, they wasted almost all of the money allocated for Khao Sok on a fancy dock and visitor's center that no one visits instead of perhaps giving the rangers more money for patrolling, making the toilet facilities in the floating bungalows nicer, repairing the floating walkways and maybe even doing something really weird like putting solar panels on the bungalows... naw, now I'm just dreaming... of course a fancy visitor's center is much more important. :D

A farang paying 400 baht is good quality.

A Thai paying 40 baht isn't.

I wonder if they'll hold up all the Thais in case there's a bus load of farangs coming down the road?

No chance of that.

Anywhere charging a Thai and a Farang fee should be boycotted. Don't encourage RACISM.

still FREE.....

San Khampeng and Mae On - East Chiang Mai

Over on the eastern side of the broad Ping river valley is the seldom visited but rewarding Mae On area.

....YES I am definately still there :D

It boasts a much more dramatic mountain skyline, pretty rural scenes covered in verdant rice fields, a remarkable cave, hot springs and a lovely mountain drive to the village of Mae Kampong.

Few of Chiang Mai’s mass of tourists reach this side of the valley, but Mae On district is equally pretty and offers a more untouched wilderness and some delightful scenery.

Although the San Khampeng hot springs and Mae On cave do attract tourists, few get to appreciate the mountains of the Doi Mon Larn range beyond. They are higher than Doi Pui and on a clear day look majestic.

The hotsprings are popular in the cooler monthsAfter a well signposted 30 minute drive from Chiang Mai the first of the area’s main attractions you come to is the San khampeng hot springs. They are the most popular of the area’s attractions, with several controlled geysers and a series of manmade pools and streams which are a popular picnic spot for locals, especially in winter.

Also on site is a warm water pool and private bath huts. There is a second, private hot springs resort site, behind these; Roong Aroon, which offers much the same in a better developed and more expensive environment. ....(Mai Chorp...MPR)

Mae On cave is reached by turning off to the left about 1km before the left-side hot springs turnoff. As far as caves go, this cavernous interior is certainly worth the 300+ stairs that need to be ascended to enter the cave, followed by a similar descent through some claustrophobic gaps. You soon find yourself at the bottom of an enormous chamber with a natural chedi formed from a stalactite.

It’s been converted into a religious site with several consecrated Buddhas. :D

On this same karst hill is Crazy Horse Buttress, a popular climbing site developed by local companies The Peak, and Chiang Mai Rock Climbing. They have marked out several routes professionally, complete with boltings so that climbers can show up and easily create their own lead, for others in their group to top rope climb.

Both companies offer courses and excursions to this remote (and difficult to find) site, along with equipment. Josh Morris and Khaetthaleeya Uppakham’s Guide to Rock Climbing in Northern Thailand marks out dozens of routes of all grades.

Beyond these lies an impressive wilderness that few visitors bother to explore. By following the main highway 1006 that takes you out to the area, and continuing up into the mountains, you climb a steep pass to arrive a the village of Huay Kaew, noted for its tree markets.

Just beyond the village the road dog-legs to the right and follows a pretty route North through a hidden valley to link up with the Chiang Rai road, after which you can easily return to Chiang Mai.

It’s a nice easy drive.

Head off into the mountains of the east However, the real reward is the mountainside and if you keep going straight at the ‘dogleg’ instead of right, you’ll find yourself climbing up into the Mae Takrai National Park (no entrance fee).

First stop is Tarngthong Lodge ((053) 93 9472) which has an enviable location either side of a pretty mountain stream.

It’s a luxury accommodation option but in the high season David’s Kitchen(hope hes still there) serves great food.

The rest of the year it reverts to a nondescript Thai restaurant.

Just beyond this is Tharntong falls, a modest cascade that is an ideal and safe playground for kids.

The road continues to climb following the pretty stream as it passes through rows of local houses. Some wealthy outsiders have built themselves weekend pads here.

After 10kms you eventually come to Mae Kampong, a so-called eco village that has several home stays, but the most comfortable option is definitely John’s Place.

It’s log cabin and bungalows in a gorgeous forest setting with the stream running through the premises. John, an Geordie from England, is a friendly host with his wife. .......Hope hes also still there... :D

If you continue up through the village you come upon Mae Kampong falls (average by the areas standards) and the road then becomes extremely steep, so make sure you have good brakes, a powerful car and good driving skills. Eventually it passes over the top of the range and descends down an equally hairy road into Lampang Province, to arrive at the lovely Jae Sorn National Park further down.

This park is popular on weekends with Lampang residents (who come from the opposite direction) that come to enjoy picnicking among the several lovely waterfalls.

Halfway up the road to Mae Kampong you’ll come across a road bearing off to the left and this follows an equally pretty route that climbs a similar steep valley along a pretty stream to come to a small temple noted for its Mae Lai Rock Chedi - built by local villages who collected the rocks for its construction.

You can follow the road deep into the mountains or turn back here. A small waterfall is found in the vicinity of the temple.

:o:D

the solution would be straight rules whats allowed and what not allowed in the park.

Everyone goes in has to sign that.

who put the junk in the forest or make some other damage pays 5000 Baht or works for 1 week in the park.

30 % of the money goes to the guards....

Charge the Thais the same entrance fee as the Ferrangs - That'll keep the numbers (and trash) under control.

Took the family to vist to Kao Yai National Park last week. Drove 2 hours from Korat. Upon arrival at the entrance to the park there's a large sign displaying the entrance fees for visitors. I couldn't believe my eyes upon seeing the following:

Thais - Bht. 40

Foreigners - Bht. 400.

We were so disgusted with this. Even my Thai wife couldn't understand the reasoning behind the above rates!

Needless to say, we went elsewhere! So much for 'Welcoming Thailand' :o

And it's not only Doi Inthanon. Has anyone here been to Khao Yai over New Year? There are traffic jams within the park! Will they be turning them back at the gate in their thousands? This is not the Thai way.

I can just see the head line....

National Park Guard Shot by Visitor

Today a National Park Guard was shot by a visiting puyai who was refused

entry as the park's daily quota had been reached.........

:o

So I read in the Nation some months back that due to heavy complaining the 10x fee that falangs are charged was to be reduced. I believe at most/some/all parks the fee was to be dropped to 5x..making it in the neighborhood of 200 baht.

Anyone else see this, and the important question.. Changing the policy is one thing, what actually happens on site is quite another...Has anyone been to a major park (doi intanon) and been charged the new reduced rate?

I am a very regular to Thailand's National Parks. I heavily suspect this will be enforced patchily, if at all.

I notice they have announced it in July (although it was mooted last year) when visitor numbers are low. The peak visiting times are the cool dry season, November - February and Songkran. In December, Doi Inthanon might have 5,000 - 10,000 people staying overnight. I simply cannot believe they will cut this to 800, it's too much lost revenue for not only the National Parks but also the villages and businesses operating in the parks.

I simply cannot see this being enforced to any extent.

I wasn't in any npark for a long time. "There are traffic jams within the park!" you can drive the car inside the national park????

Maybe only need to change that: no cars inside.

walking and bicycles.....

problem is fixed. put some of these things to block tanks on the street.

hi Rinrada ,

thanks for your detailed description , i agree this area " Mae Kampong, a so-called eco village " is really great , for nature lovers , motorbike or cycling enthousiasts , and still free

post-21441-1214771265_thumb.jpg

post-21441-1214772250_thumb.jpg

in december i was passing by the sign " mokfaa waterfall " ( Mae Teng area , direction Pai ) , ok i went out to have a look , but turned back after the ridiculous 400 baht fee , it was 3 pm at the time

since then i try to avoid such a situation

So I read in the Nation some months back that due to heavy complaining the 10x fee that falangs are charged was to be reduced. I believe at most/some/all parks the fee was to be dropped to 5x..making it in the neighborhood of 200 baht.

Anyone else see this, and the important question.. Changing the policy is one thing, what actually happens on site is quite another...Has anyone been to a major park (doi intanon) and been charged the new reduced rate?

Not sure about "Major" parks but I recently visited Kaeng Krachan National Park and was confronted with a request for 200 baht. I produced my Thai driving license and the fee reduced to 70 baht! The sour-faced woman taking my money was not amused - "You Ferrang - Cheap Charlie".

Welcome to Thailands National Parks!

Not sure about "Major" parks but I recently visited Kaeng Krachan National Park and was confronted with a request for 200 baht. I produced my Thai driving license and the fee reduced to 70 baht! The sour-faced woman taking my money was not amused - "You Ferrang - Cheap Charlie".

Welcome to Thailands National Parks!

A complete rundown of the National Park fee structure at all the various parks is available in meadish's excellent thread:

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/Entrance-Fee...ks-t155854.html

New Entrance Fees For National Parks, Starting from December 1 [2007]

Charge the Thais the same entrance fee as the Ferrangs - That'll keep the numbers (and trash) under control.

Took the family to vist to Kao Yai National Park last week. Drove 2 hours from Korat. Upon arrival at the entrance to the park there's a large sign displaying the entrance fees for visitors. I couldn't believe my eyes upon seeing the following:

Thais - Bht. 40

Foreigners - Bht. 400.

We were so disgusted with this. Even my Thai wife couldn't understand the reasoning behind the above rates!

In case you don't know, if you have a work permit (or in most cases just the Thai driver's license) you ae charged the Thai price! The reason for the "discrimination" is not Thai vs Farang, it's Tax-payer vs Tourist...

This has always worked for me in Khao Yai... It also worked in Ancienty City, Bangkok...

Cheers!

That was discussed at length in the above linked thread and around a dozen other threads. It's not the official policy and in no way is it a uniform policy. In some parks, it works... in others, it's of no more value than tissue paper.

I agree it's not Thai vs Farang, it's Thai vs Foreigners... the same as the signs and law reads.

Tax status has absolutely nothing to do with it. Neither does it have anything to do with one's tourist/non-tourist status.

Edited by sriracha john

Thais - Bht. 40

Foreigners - Bht. 400.

I have a big problem with this dual pricing system. I agree with Tuky that it is inherently racist. Until it is changed I am proud enough to deny myself the pleasure of these parks. There are plenty of other places to go.