House Break In

Sakeopete

Last night my house was broken into while we were asleep, fortunately only cash and my wallet were taken. My neighbors a few houses down in our gated community found my wallet intact with 80 British Pounds in it laying in their back yard. They new it was my wallet because my son's photo was in it. I guess thieves only want Thai baht as the are required to show ID before they can exchange it at the bank. Burglary isn't limited to the Pattaya's and Bangkok's even us small town people are getting it. Lessons learned for having a small town "it will not happen to us" attitude and letting my guard down.

How did they get in?

He/they forced open the wooden outside door then broke the bug screen of the steel door and opened it, I didn't have the lock on steel door. We used to put the lock on but I always worried that in case of fire with 3 small kids we may not able to get out if we can't find the key. The house we are in atm is a rental with poorly made doors but we will be moving into our new house next week once the paint fumes subside.

If I was a dectective, I would say that the wallet fell out of the OP`s pocket.

That would be difficult considering I don't carry it around with me. Besides the cash that was taken was from my wife's purse, they didn't touch the UK pounds in my wallet.

Superrich wouldn't require ID.

Last night my house was broken into while we were asleep, fortunately only cash and my wallet were taken. My neighbors a few houses down in our gated community found my wallet intact with 80 British Pounds in it laying in their back yard. They new it was my wallet because my son's photo was in it. I guess thieves only want Thai baht as the are required to show ID before they can exchange it at the bank. Burglary isn't limited to the Pattaya's and Bangkok's even us small town people are getting it. Lessons learned for having a small town "it will not happen to us" attitude and letting my guard down.

And when your dog turns up dead one day you'll know it's been poisoned and the burglars will strike soon. Burglary seems to be a big problem at houses in Thailand.

Please name a country where it's not rife?

And when your dog turns up dead one day you'll know it's been poisoned and the burglars will strike soon. Burglary seems to be a big problem at houses in Thailand.

Canada

Canada

Sakeopete sorry not as rife as some but still ranks 9th.

http://www.nationmaster.com/graph/cri_bur-crime-burglaries

WOW nice statistics I need to move to Burma they only had 4 burglaries must be a utopia there.

I got a bangkaew dog, if they kill him during the day they get away with it. But at night he sleeps with me in my room. He will hear noise and wake me up. Then he wont start eating their poision but maybe (if im lucky) attack the burglars (not so sure if my dog would he is a ppl dog). But at least he would wake me up.

Well, it surprises me, that Thailand is #1.

Reading the number of past comments at thaivisa, you'd think Thailand is a very safe country compared to others. :o

I ride my bicycle instead of a moto around Chiang Mai and other areas, in the thick of traffic, both day and night. This type of transportation can create conflict between myself and other drivers but luckily I have never experienced any. Maybe cause I rode my bike in the streets of NYC for 40+ years.

Luckily, I personally have not experienced (so far) any harmful crime to me here or in USA.

Reading the number of past comments at thaivisa, you'd think Thailand is a very safe country compared to others. :o

I ride my bicycle instead of a moto around Chiang Mai and other areas, in the thick of traffic, both day and night. This type of transportation can create conflict between myself and other drivers but luckily I have never experienced any. Maybe cause I rode my bike in the streets of NYC for 40+ years.

Luckily, I personally have not experienced (so far) any harmful crime to me here or in USA.

This gun crime statistic is not relevant as a measure of danger, it is a measure of how likely you are to be murdered by a gun instead of a knife/poison/bottle/strangulation or other means. The more useful statistic is 'Overall homicide rate / per 100,000 population' which can be found at http://www.nationmaster.com/graph/cri_gun_...per-100-000-pop - this features Thailand in the slightly more respectable position of 4th with 41.5 murders per 100,000 people. To put it in perspective this is 30% of the rate in South Africa, a place where I have lived and will never visit again.

Looking at the per capita rate for burglary, Thailand is way down the list at 49th, however I expect many incidents are unreported here. Canada is still in 9th though, it's a surprisding list and I think very skewed by reporting rates, many of the top countries are first-world, and I would expect higher report rates in these places.

http://www.nationmaster.com/graph/cri_bur_...ries-per-capita

All the statistics on 'gun murder' on the nationmaster site are messed up from a translation error from the original Thai police statistics. Gun crime is reported as gun murder, when the vast majority of those are just going to be stuff like illegal possession of a firearm. There are roughly 5,000 murders per year in Thailand, not the 20,000 'gun murders' nationmaster reports and uses to derive their other gun murder per capita statistics. Thailand does not seem to keep track of the number of murders commited using specific weapons, therefore a statistic on gun murder is not even possible.

Ah interesting - that would (by rough calculations) bring the number down to around 10 homicides per 100,000 population, thus putting Thailand in 13th, below Barbados, and just above Ukraine and the USA (with 9.1/100,000). I feel slightly safer now.

Ah interesting - that would (by rough calculations) bring the number down to around 10 homicides per 100,000 population, thus putting Thailand in 13th, below Barbados, and just above Ukraine and the USA (with 9.1/100,000). I feel slightly safer now.

Well, that's a relief. :o I know there was a reason why I felt as safe here as I did in the US.

Reading the number of past comments at thaivisa, you'd think Thailand is a very safe country compared to others. :D

This gun crime statistic is not relevant as a measure of danger, it is a measure of how likely you are to be murdered by a gun instead of a knife/poison/bottle/strangulation or other means. The more useful statistic is 'Overall homicide rate / per 100,000 population' which can be found at http://www.nationmaster.com/graph/cri_gun_...per-100-000-pop - this features Thailand in the slightly more respectable position of 4th with 41.5 murders per 100,000 people. To put it in perspective this is 30% of the rate in South Africa, a place where I have lived and will never visit again.

Looking at the per capita rate for burglary, Thailand is way down the list at 49th, however I expect many incidents are unreported here. Canada is still in 9th though, it's a surprisding list and I think very skewed by reporting rates, many of the top countries are first-world, and I would expect higher report rates in these places.

http://www.nationmaster.com/graph/cri_bur_...ries-per-capita

We called the police in the morning however as expected they didn't show up at our house. I'm guessing they know the thief and have gone to visit him for their cut of my money :o .