Passports

Explorer

Hi all,

Do you all carry your passport with you where ever you go in Thailand?

I find it a bit too big for my pocket as i go to work, especially when i'm wearing jeans and i am not a fan of carrying bag. It become an easy target for pickpokets when i take the bus or walkaround town with the passport in my pocket.

Someone told me once to just carry a photocopy of the passport, the front with your face on it and the page that state your last entry to Thailand. Does the cops accept this if they stop you?

Is there any other way of doing this? Or it's a must to carry your passport at all time in Thailand.

Explorer :o

I never carry mine anywhere, it is always kept at home.................no trouble so far. :D I have a valid work permit and visa though.......

I know one foreigner who has been stopped and he didnt have his passport with him. All he had to do was ask someone to bring it to him and it was fine............ :o

I carry a credit card size laminated copy of my passport.

On one side is the photo page and on the other my permission to stay that states I have a Thai wife.

I live near Korat and have shown it twice with no problem.

In the end I think it depends on when, where and why you are stopped, and of course the mood of the "officer" who stops you :o

There is no foolproof method to avoid having passport if that is what they want (although I suspect an Embassy ID card would be accepted). In most cases all that is required is photo ID and a Thai drivers license normally fills that bill. But if travel is outside of normal home area (where someone can get for you within an hour or so) I would plan to carry it. One of the advantages of safari type shirts is the pockets. The photo copy may or may not be accepted; but of course is much better than nothing.

I find the plastic sleaves used for savings bank books ideal for soft cover passports to keep them in good condition. Perhaps a zip-lock bag could be used also.

I never carried my passport while in Thailand. Once I got asked for it by the police, so I gave him my teacher's ID and told him I didn't carry my passport. He never made a big deal of it. Not sure if it was because my ID had my passport number or not.

I never carry my Passport with me, its locked away securely in the company safe, and its only a phone call away should i need it for anything.

I've never been asked to show my passport, but if i ever did i would start by showing my thai drivers license, my tax card etc. If that wasnt enough to satisfy the ID check, i'd have to telephone my office and get someone to bring it to me.

I would imagine that a photocopy would be enough to satisfy the ID check, but be aware that i've seen it printed in many places that we are requried to carry our passports at all times. Personally i dont think thats a great idea, too easy to loose it/get it stolen.

I never carry my passport with me, and have never been asked to produce it. If I am asked to produce ID, I've got a pocket full of cards (Thai and US drivers' licenses, membership cards, 30-baht health card card, etc.). If that's not good enough, I'll cross that bridge in the unlikely (I think) event I ever come to it.

I have it with me all the time, just in case I happen to go to places where ID is required :D

Nowadays most of the clubs accept ONLY original passport :o

If you have a thai driving licence,you can use it in lieu of your passport,in case you need to show your ID when entering clubs or bars :D Regarding carrying original passport,I think the law states to carry it all the times,but having a copy is ok coz usually thai cops are not that difficult to talk with :D and also showing your driving licence.It really helps in many places.

The law does not specifically state that a passport must be carried at all times: it only states that IDENTIFICATION be carried at all times. Identification means a government-issued picture ID -- unless the cops want to be pricks (which is not unheard of!).

Got fined in Chiang Mai for not having mine. Got stopped first off for the misses not wearing a helmet (200 baht fine) plus they fined me another 200 baht for not having my pp (no copy either). They gave me the choice of going to get it, but said I'd have to go to the station with them and pay 1,000 baht if I took that route (strange!).

Couldn't be assed with the hassle (which they're fully aware we don't like) so let him have his measly 400. Still won't carry it though. Rather keep paying the 200 than possibly losing the pp. Will acquire a Thai license soon, so that will suffice for me. Also now have a colour photocopy of my boat-race and the visa.

LOCAL LAWS AND CUSTOMS

By law, tourists are expected to carry their original passports at all times in Thailand. There have been recent incidents where tourists have been arrested because they were unable to produce their passport.

http://www.fco.gov.uk/servlet/Front?pagena...d=1013618386505

Do expats fall in the tourist catergory too?

Explorer :o