Speaking English In Thailand

Tonycheston

You will meet english speaking Thais all over but not always good English (if beyond a few words)

You will meet Thais who speak great English but may never say as much as boo to you so you will not know they speak English or after an hour talking in Thai to your Thai friend suddenly turn around and start an English converstion with you.

:o

Guest Reimar

You will even meet some foreigner which not able to speak that much English as many Thais!! And that's mainly in Tourist places.

Thais who speak exceptional English are rare, even in tourist areas

Correct.

In the rural areas it is essential to speak Thai

and the further you drive off the beaten track, reading Thai becomes a necessity

as the English on the road signs gets smaller and eventually disappears......

Correct.

In the rural areas it is essential to speak Thai

and the further you drive off the beaten track, reading Thai becomes a necessity

as the English on the road signs gets smaller and eventually disappears......

As I understand it, if you drive off the far beaten tracks, even Thai may not be good enough.

All the major towns and tourists spots speak good english.

But with the small rural places, english is not really spoken

Good luck

"All the major towns and tourists spots speak good english" Tourist spots probably yes. All the major towns? Not from what I've seen. You may ifnd the occasional shop owner who has a univ degree or lived overseas, but the average "run-of-the-mill" employee - forget it.

Correct.

Agreed.

From my limited experience, English appears to be way down on the list of priorities for the Thai people, everyday survival is a common wish.

Correct.

Agreed.

From my limited experience, English appears to be way down on the list of priorities for the Thai people, everyday survival is a common wish.

Have been in Thailand for 7 years and have only recently took a trip to Cambodia and was suprised at the extent and standard of English spoken in Cambodia...appears to be way ahead of Thailand even in the more remote areas....would guess that everyday survival is more relevant of the average Cambodian, but they seem to have picked up at least basic English skills..??...makes you think doesnt it...

Correct.

Agreed.

Have been in Thailand for 7 years and have only recently took a trip to Cambodia and was suprised at the extent and standard of English spoken in Cambodia...appears to be way ahead of Thailand even in the more remote areas....would guess that everyday survival is more relevant of the average Cambodian, but they seem to have picked up at least basic English skills..??...makes you think doesnt it...

Its bean almost a decade since I was in Pnom Pehn but I remember all the English schools in one street and all the copiers where they photocopied book after book.

Since I work with Thai's whose English is very good I often forget when speaking to others and use the same language. The ones I work with rarely ask me the meaning of words - last time it was "Gravitas" (OK from the Latin) when I was explaining someone did not have it for the position they were applying for - it got me the Thai word in return but I doubt I will ever use it :o

Correct.

Agreed.

Having traveled several times to Cambodia, I wholeheartedly agree. Cambodia is way ahead of Thailand in the population's ability to speak English. Most Thais cannot swallow that fact, so be careful who you tell. :o

Hi.

New here and not well informed about Thailand.

Can anyone tell me how widely spoken English is in Thailand. I mean also in the rural districts and not just confined to hotels and tourist areas?

Thanks for any replies

Tony

Theme of post: If you can't lick 'em, join 'em.

Tip: Try learning to speak English with a Thai accent and stress (stress usually on the last syllable). You'll be amazed how many Thais will start to understand you! All Thais must study English for seven years (5th grade on), so they've got the head knowledge, even though they can't put it into practice (listening comprehension and speaking).*

*Reason: One day I visited a classroom in a Thai elementary school in the middle of oral language exercises. "What language are they learning in this class?" I asked my guide. "English!" was my host's indignant reply. Oops. :o For seven years, they listen to Thai teachers speaking English with barely understandable (by English native speakers) accents and syllable stress. They respond back (rote memory exercises) with exactly the same non-understandable tongue. It's an exercise if futility.

I've lived in Thailand five years, and speak passable Thai. However, when I get stuck, I usually resort to the English word spoken like a Thai, and guess what? Home free! :D

Edited by toptuan

Most Thais cannot speak English. Too many of those that can when talking to a pale face can't get past: Where you go? What you do?, Sex CD?, Massage, Massage?, Farang!?**!?. Those few that can speak English reasonably well, usually found in BKK (albeit with errors in grammar/pronunciation/intonation missing ed,s,ing, on word endings) often don't want to talk with aliens. Often when you talk to say, waiters in restaurants or other sevice providers in English they often just look at you, nod their head, and then walk away and completely forget about you. After all you're always only a visitor to Thailand. Only very, very few Thais have the confidence, skill or wish to talk to westeners in English at an intermediate level or higher. Still some, (women) are reluctant to be seen speaking with a westener due to the social stigma attached ie: she must be a bar girl etc.

As for the remark a poster made about the skill levels comparing Thais and Cambodians, much of that is to do with the differences in the levels of arrogance, nationalism, short-sightedness, narrow-mindedness, insular, parochial, xenophobic attitude a large proportion of the Thai population have, especially towards westeners.

However, having said all that, almost all Thais would not see the value in changing anything. And realistically, providing they stay in Thailand or when abroad, deal primarily with Thais why should they?

Most Thais cannot speak English. Too many of those that can when talking to a pale face can't get past: Where you go? What you do?, Sex CD?, Massage, Massage?, Farang!?**!?. Those few that can speak English reasonably well, usually found in BKK (albeit with errors in grammar/pronunciation/intonation missing ed,s,ing, on word endings) often don't want to talk with aliens. Often when you talk to say, waiters in restaurants or other sevice providers in English they often just look at you, nod their head, and then walk away and completely forget about you. After all you're always only a visitor to Thailand. Only very, very few Thais have the confidence, skill or wish to talk to westeners in English at an intermediate level or higher. Still some, (women) are reluctant to be seen speaking with a westener due to the social stigma attached ie: she must be a bar girl etc.

As for the remark a poster made about the skill levels comparing Thais and Cambodians, much of that is to do with the differences in the levels of arrogance, nationalism, short-sightedness, narrow-mindedness, insular, parochial, xenophobic attitude a large proportion of the Thai population have, especially towards westeners.

However, having said all that, almost all Thais would not see the value in changing anything. And realistically, providing they stay in Thailand or when abroad, deal primarily with Thais why should they?

Didnt want to suggest the theory you have suggested... as expected to receive a barrage of postings from the anally retentive members of TV who would start accusing me of Thai-bashing and telling me if I didnt like it in Thailand I should leave...but seeing as you have mentioned it....would agree with you on all the points you mention...

"Still some, (women) are reluctant to be seen speaking with a westener due to the social stigma attached ie: she must be a bar girl etc."

When I worked in Thailand back in 99 the girls in one of the offices there just did not want to be seen with a westerner - they would wait to see which door we were leaving from on an evening and go out the other one, they would never go to lunch with us on the street. I was doing some consulting at the business and used to have a laugh with the owner about it - he had been quite a senior banker and was very respectable. The office was close to Silom so maybe the proximity to Patpong wieghed on their minds?

Now though the women from our Bangkok office do not mind at all. When I am at the office there they will come out on a night to shops, restaurants etc. We get the taxi or Skytrain together to various sites etc - sometimes I am in work clothes and other times not.

I have to admit I have never noticed any of the knowing looks from Westerners or Thai's at all such as i have had before with GF's or even the ex-missus

Are times changing now and are the girls just more confident?

it is getting a LITTLE better Prakanong, slowly. But I don't see any major changes within my lifetime, or the next generations lifetime for that matter.

Yeah - probably a little better now.

The clothes, handbags and self confidence of the girls will make a difference too - I see Thai waiting staff be fawning over them and not to me. I also notice the waiting staff often take the bill right to the senior Thai girl there rather than to me which is what usually happens when I am out with female Asian colleagues elsewhere.

"Still some, (women) are reluctant to be seen speaking with a westener due to the social stigma attached ie: she must be a bar girl etc."

When I worked in Thailand back in 99 the girls in one of the offices there just did not want to be seen with a westerner - they would wait to see which door we were leaving from on an evening and go out the other one, they would never go to lunch with us on the street. I was doing some consulting at the business and used to have a laugh with the owner about it - he had been quite a senior banker and was very respectable. The office was close to Silom so maybe the proximity to Patpong wieghed on their minds?

Now though the women from our Bangkok office do not mind at all. When I am at the office there they will come out on a night to shops, restaurants etc. We get the taxi or Skytrain together to various sites etc - sometimes I am in work clothes and other times not.

I have to admit I have never noticed any of the knowing looks from Westerners or Thai's at all such as i have had before with GF's or even the ex-missus

Are times changing now and are the girls just more confident?

They may have changed in BKK, but where I live in the hinterlands, many of them (ladies) prefer not to be seen consorting with a foreigner, unless he's some sort of "nailed down" marriage prospect.

Didnt want to suggest the theory you have suggested... as expected to receive a barrage of postings from the anally retentive members of TV who would start accusing me of Thai-bashing and telling me if I didnt like it in Thailand I should leave...but seeing as you have mentioned it....would agree with you on all the points you mention...

Also agreed. They can't conceive much of a world outside Thailand.

"They may have changed in BKK, but where I live in the hinterlands, many of them (ladies) prefer not to be seen consorting with a foreigner, unless he's some sort of "nailed down" marriage prospect."

Yes I agree - I am only talking about the solidly middle class girls I work with now and its all company business even if its out of hours when we are eating etc.

Not always, but often, there are other Asian girls in the party too

All Thais must study English for seven years (5th grade on),

Only a very small percentage reach 12th Grade. :o

Most of the Thai English teachers I have met are reluctant to speak English. :D

It is no wonder that spoken English is so rare.

Reading skills are much better.

Once I joined the company, back in 1985, I noticed how the level

of spoken English improved as people listened to me and made the

effort to reply.

Reading skills are much better.

In the village, I gave some extra English lessons to some students. One of the girls, you could give her any English printed material, and she would be able to read a fair amount of it ...... but she didn't have the faintest idea what any of it meant.

Only a very small percentage reach 12th Grade.

Point well taken.

The website http://www.wes.org/eWENR/05mar/practical.htm

offers a statistic that... "Only 56 percent of Thai children are enrolled in secondary school." (2005)

Website http://www.scribd.com/doc/8691/Country-Pro...a_related_doc=1

reveals that " In 2004 an estimated 96 percent of students completed grade six, and 48 percent completed grade 12."

Ergo: At least half the Thais you run into have had 7 years of English language instruction.

Edited by toptuan

What is it when people get off the plane in Thailand they get this massive conspiracy theorist hangup that everyone has it in for them.

While I'd love to be able to say (in this case) that my Thai ID card has clear instructions of how to stick it to the White man, the truth of the matter is that it doesn't.

I mean, I studied French at high school for five years. Do you think my inablity to speak it has anything to do with a "arrogance, nationalism, short-sightedness, narrow-mindedness, insular, parochial, xenophobic attitude " that I have, or could it simply be that I never had a chance to practice what I learnt in a French speaking environment, and hence none of it stuck???

And I had good French teachers!

Now lets see.

nah, it must have been my hate of the French which did it for me.....

Point well taken.

offers a statistic that... "Only 56 percent of Thai children are enrolled in secondary school." (2005)

reveals that " In 2004 an estimated 96 percent of students completed grade six, and 48 percent completed grade 12."

Ergo: At least half the Thais you run into have had 7 years of English language instruction.

I'd like to see some stats for Isaan.

How many families can afford the cost of equipping their kids to go to secondary school?

What is it when people get off the plane in Thailand they get this massive conspiracy theorist hangup that everyone has it in for them.

No, it's not when they get off the Plane, when they get off the Plane everythings great, as are the next few months & even up to a Year, it's after than kind of time period, when they actually experience the Country & it's people, that's when they get the " alleged " conspiricy theory hangup... :o

Point well taken.

I'd like to see some stats for Isaan.

How many families can afford the cost of equipping their kids to go to secondary school?

I am sure the stats for Issan are worse than the national averages. I think one reason for such dismal numbers is that the whole 12 years of schooling are not free. I understand that they have to pay tuition for the last two years of high school. Many probably cannot afford it, along with the cost of books, uniforms, etc. It is, none the less is. a sorry state of affairs. I would hope there are numerous government initiatives in the works to remedy this situation????