Petchabun

macb

By use of the keyboard let me verbally tell you something about Petchabun:

Route 21 travels right through Petchabun. Alongside the 21 when you hit the town you have access to the Government Hospital and what I call the private hospital plus hotels as well.

The town itself is well laid out as well, with two large markets, one is situated in the town and the other just outside the town. There is also a Sunday market which sells everything this is situated just south of the Mitsubishi garage along side the route 21 you cant miss it because of the influx of motor cycles and pick-ups on a Sunday. A good time to go is about 5pm or 6pm.

There is a nice restaurant just next to Big 'C' called 2001 you cant miss it because of all the pretty lights. Good Thai food and some falang food and some of the menu is in English and there are two bands that play, they will integrate falang songs as well.

There is a paper shop in the town where you can get Bangkok post and The Nation English versions but you have to be quick as other falangs sweep them off the shelves, but a way around this is to place an order.

The main post office is also along side the 21 not far from the bus station of which there are 2 now.

There are shops that cater for just about everything to list them would take to much time, also doctors dentists etc etc.

The Kossit hotel has snooker hall Karaoke coffee shop disco. I think I have mentioned before two other disco night clubs Ceasers I think that is the correct spelling also Oasis these are Thai places, but falangs do attend them sometimes depends on your life style.

There is a golf course on the army barracks which is situated on the opposite side of the 21 from Tesco and Big 'C'.

There are karaoke bars with ladies but these are a rip off.

Well more info later if you have any questions please feel free to ask and I will do my best to answer your questions.

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Brits call it cabbage leaf, anybody know the Thai name for it

The plant you are looking for is not the same as cabbage-leaf coneflower (Rudbeckia maxima), or is it? Googling for 'vernacular name cabbage flower' did not give any useful results (except for lots of cabbage recipies :o ).

Hi Andi

just done a search and no the giant coneflower is not what I am looking for but will add it to the list of desireable plants thanks :D , the plant I am looking for is a ground covering plant with dark green shiny leaves about 75mm long by 18mm wide. It hugs the ground and makes a half decent lawn. You see it on some of the golf courses out here as semi rough just off the fairway, you can't make a good contact with the ball unless you pick it off the top cleanly.

Thanks again

Chris

Well as promised: I went out earlier this morning and took some shots for your information, more will follow soon, you may recall in my earlier write up I mentioned the Mitsubishi on the route 21 so here we go the start of my information for you on Petchabun town. First shots are on the main route 21 near to town, to access the town you need to turn right at the traffic lights or 'U' at the lights and left through the archway pics will explain

Descriptions and write up followed by the picture.

1 Mitsubishi Dealer (South bound lane)

post-32485-1234323198_thumb.jpg

2 Index Furniture. (South bound lane)

post-32485-1234323229_thumb.jpg

3 The post office is opposite Mitsubishi on the North bound lane.

post-32485-1234323245_thumb.jpg

4 The Panasonic sign indicates the frontage of a furniture which I prefer as they speak English and are very helpful (South bound lane 21

post-32485-1234323265_thumb.jpg

5 The archway gives access to the town also another entrance to the aforementioned furniture shop and better parking I think. Through this archway on the left and opposite is the is the Kasikorn Bank, in front of the bank is a key cutting service its okay as I have used it.

post-32485-1234323299_thumb.jpg

6 If you do not 'U' turn then turn right at the main lights on the right is Western Union bank Continue on to the clock tower and just passed this you see Siam Commercial bank

post-32485-1234323322_thumb.jpg

7. If you turn right at the clock tower you will run up to a second roundabout just before this on the left is a paper shop I mentioned before for Bkk post and The Nation in English but you got to be quick between 11 am and Midday

post-32485-1234323335_thumb.jpg

8 Below are two pics of the main traffic lights. situated on the Route 21 I referred to these earlier

post-32485-1234323376_thumb.jpg

post-32485-1234323360_thumb.jpg

Okay that's a start. Now you may recall I mentioned the SMC well the bank is situated at some traffic lights if you turn left here on the right is CATCOM continue on passing through more lights Isuzu Dealer on your right to next set of lights on the left you will see KFC a bit further on left is a Dentist then UBC Main Dealer office. if you continue on it takes you back to the Route 21. However if you turn left at the lights near KFC there is a good pharmacy on the right a bit further is the entrance to Topland shopping centre.

Well that's all for now folks more soon

• 2 weeks later...

Hi macb,

Your informative postings are very useful, especially those with pictures :o Keep on going.

It hugs the ground and makes a half decent lawn. You see it on some of the golf courses out here as semi rough just off the fairway

Hi Chris,

did you try to contact a greenkeeper. They should not only know the thai name, but also where to get it from.

Good luck

Finally leaving snow-covered Vienna to go for a cool breeze under a hot sun :D

Andi

• 2 weeks later...

Hi,

Living almost 2 weeks now in NongPhai en it's a very nice place to be. Waiting waiting waiting...for land, the homeowner, for everything. Good to learn to be pattiance, but very difficult for me, because in Amsterdam it works very different. Today or tommorrow can also mean after 3 weeks, and thats killing me, but i try to accept it. it absolut not possible to make a appoinment here. they just don't show up.

but when its ready (one day) hen it will be great here.

6 march i have to go to the border for my triple entry visa. i think nong-khai is the best option but when somewone knows how to get there by public transport, that wil be very helpfull.

• 3 weeks later...

it was in the begin a little difficult to waith so long but now thinks are running it will be a very nice house.

the garden is almost finished and realy beautifull. if someone need a good and creativ thai gardner who speak good englisch lett me know!!!!!!!!!

My g/f has a house in Nong Phai, quite a nice 2 bedroom, 2 bathroom place on the corner of her fathers land.

I have recently bought a 2.4 rai block of land about 2 minute walk from her place for a bit of insurance for her if anything happens to me (we've been together for 3.5 years now) plus I got it for a good price so may sub-divide at a later date.

But I was very interested in the cost of the house Macb has built as there is an option for me to build another house on the father's land and was looking at something similar.

Hello everyone

Happy, glad to hear you have moved in and found a good Thai gardener, I may want his services a bit later so hopefully you can supply his contact details. Les, I've had a place built about 15 Kms from Nong Phai in Wang Bot, happy to supply details of my experiences/costs if you want them. We have been using the pool at a resort in Nong Phai which is good value for a bit of R&R, entering Nong Phai from the North take the frontage road, go past Tesco Lotus and turn left at the car sales place. The resort is about 1.5 Kms down on the right hand side, through the arch and you are in the car park, 30 baht per head to use the pool, which is clean and the food is reasonable. Bit crowded now the kids are on school hols and the Karaeoke wears a bit thin at times but it's a nice place to spend a few hours and of course they sell the amber nectar.

Kind Regards

Chris

By use of the keyboard let me verbally tell you something about Petchabun:

Route 21 travels right through Petchabun. Alongside the 21 when you hit the town you have access to the Government Hospital and what I call the private hospital plus hotels as well.

The town itself is well laid out as well, with two large markets, one is situated in the town and the other just outside the town. There is also a Sunday market which sells everything this is situated just south of the Mitsubishi garage along side the route 21 you cant miss it because of the influx of motor cycles and pick-ups on a Sunday. A good time to go is about 5pm or 6pm.

There is a nice restaurant just next to Big 'C' called 2001 you cant miss it because of all the pretty lights. Good Thai food and some falang food and some of the menu is in English and there are two bands that play, they will integrate falang songs as well.

There is a paper shop in the town where you can get Bangkok post and The Nation English versions but you have to be quick as other falangs sweep them off the shelves, but a way around this is to place an order.

The main post office is also along side the 21 not far from the bus station of which there are 2 now.

There are shops that cater for just about everything to list them would take to much time, also doctors dentists etc etc.

The Kossit hotel has snooker hall Karaoke coffee shop disco. I think I have mentioned before two other disco night clubs Ceasers I think that is the correct spelling also Oasis these are Thai places, but falangs do attend them sometimes depends on your life style.

There is a golf course on the army barracks which is situated on the opposite side of the 21 from Tesco and Big 'C'.

There are karaoke bars with ladies but these are a rip off.

Well more info later if you have any questions please feel free to ask and I will do my best to answer your questions.

The resturant is called 'Ban Concert' and is very reasonably priced. The disco is called Z-Za and is the place you will normally find Farang who are visiting with their new 'darlings' and her village friends! 'Good for a giggle, if you are long termer!

Hello everyone

Happy, glad to hear you have moved in and found a good Thai gardener, I may want his services a bit later so hopefully you can supply his contact details. Les, I've had a place built about 15 Kms from Nong Phai in Wang Bot, happy to supply details of my experiences/costs if you want them. We have been using the pool at a resort in Nong Phai which is good value for a bit of R&R, entering Nong Phai from the North take the frontage road, go past Tesco Lotus and turn left at the car sales place. The resort is about 1.5 Kms down on the right hand side, through the arch and you are in the car park, 30 baht per head to use the pool, which is clean and the food is reasonable. Bit crowded now the kids are on school hols and the Karaeoke wears a bit thin at times but it's a nice place to spend a few hours and of course they sell the amber nectar.

Kind Regards

Chris

Cheers Chris - great to hear there are a few of the 'lads' around the area. I wont have time during this visit to meet and greet as I'm only over from New Zealand, where I'm working at the moment, for 10 days - but will definitely be in touch when I'm over for a longer stay next time.

I would love to have the details of your house costs etc as its always good to have first hand information.

thanks again - Les

• 2 weeks later...

The cat's pregnant and is as big as a house, I shall be taking her to the vet for a check up this afternoon, found a good one in Phetchabun city, off the 21, go down Soi Hospital (?), dual carriageway, turn left at the end, just before the overhead traffic lights green and white sign on the left, that is the vet. Anyway as we are about to be overrun with kittens they will be offered free to good homes should anyone be interested, vaccinated and Mum's going for the chop. The Mum has a wonderful disposition, the father is a huge grey tabby with an attitude, managed to fight him off with a broom, the bayonet practice which I detested all those years ago finally paid off.

Hello everyone

Kind Regards

Chris

Hi chris,

next time you visit the swimming pool feel free to have a look in ouhr gardden and have a drink. we live on the same road , just follow the road then you see on your left hand the melonshop, little further 2 white empty houses, behinde that houses is a small street and there we live

Regards

Erwin

oh by the way, you have kittens already?

• 2 weeks later...
Hello everyone

Kind Regards

funny situation. already almost 2,5 month i visit a smal place at least 3 times a week( family off my partner lives there) now i find out that the name of the place is Wang Bot and the place where you live. I think you live little bit outside, because we never have seen your house. the parents live in the street where is the talaat and school

Chris

Hi chris,

next time you visit the swimming pool feel free to have a look in ouhr gardden and have a drink. we live on the same road , just follow the road then you see on your left hand the melonshop, little further 2 white empty houses, behinde that houses is a small street and there we live

Regards

Erwin

oh by the way, you have kittens already?

Hi Erwin

sorry I haven't replied before but I've been a bit unwell, busy working and also had problems accessing TV, yes funny indeed that you visit Wang Bot, we saw a Farang in a Tongsaew a couple of days ago, could've been you, there aren't too many get out this far. We live past the school and the Wat, if you carry on along that road, past the small noodle shops, you then come to a group of houses clustered close together, there is a sign post showing a left turn, we are in the lane directly opposite that ( turn right at the signpost). As soon as you turn into the lane out house is visible about 70 metres down on the left, please feel free to drop in anytime. I will make the effort to come into Nong Phai tomorrow and look you up.

Regards to all

Chris

3 weeks ago our pup Leo died from Parvu Virus, I took him for inoculations and assumed he was vaccinated against Parvu but no, the vet only vaccinated against Rabies, TIT you have to specify exactly what you want.

Update on the cat, she had complications during the birth and we had to rush her to the vet in Phetchabun, only one kitten out of three survived but Mum and kit are doing well, he had to perform a caesarian and speyed her at the same time, 2 days after that our Pug, "Dixie" died, she was really struggling with the heat and I think her heart gave out. So we've had a bit of heartbreak on the pet front, we already had 2 pups they are thriving at the moment, we've had them for four weeks.

The vet in Phetchabun is excellent, the pups are due back on the first May for more jabs, then to cap a really bad month Daeng, wifes sisters dog was run over and killed a couple of days ago, she took him to go and work in the fields, he was a good ratter, he ran in front of a semi-trailer and died instantly, I think it's time to buy a lottery ticket as this run of bad luck should end soon!

• 2 weeks later...

We decided to get a passport for the wife so made the hike to Bangkok and stayed overnight in the 13 coins Resort in Bang Na, can't recommend it highly enough, a good sized chalet type room, very clean and well maintained. The restaurant is the best Western Type food I have had in Thailand, and you can sit at the counter and watch it being prepared if you wish. There are also large screen Tv's strategically placed to watch sports and a 2 piece combo playing live. Next day we went to Central Plaza (Thais call it Centrun) the passport office is on floor B1, despite the large crowds waiting they were very efficient and I guess it took no longer than 45 minutes and cost 1100 Baht. She applied on Tuesday and the passport arrived this morning by post.

As we were there I decided to have a go at doing the 90 day check in at Jomtien Immigration as I had a few days to spare and could get to Tha-Li if turned down, no problem whatsoever, had a chat with the officer on the desk about Phetch.

www.13coinsbangna.com is the website, interesting owner who has a chain of 30 restaurants, 6 of which are resorts in Bangkok, the latest one at Suv Airport is massive.

• 2 weeks later...

seems there is a little Pethchabun fc farang supporter base cropping up (along with a solid Thai one). The team play in Thailand division 2.

next match is on Saturday in Petchabun v Kamphaeng Phet, 4pm at the school of physical education stadium, Petchabun. With a few beers it makes a great day out. more info at www.thaileaguefootball.com

Morning folks:

Well having started the Petchabun Topic, it seems I never know where my life will be taking me, I am now living in Udon Thani about 10 clicks from the main city. But I think running a thread on Udon Thani would be a mammoth task for me.

If your interested let me know, I am still in the very early stages of getting to know the area or CITY

Morning folks:

Well having started the Petchabun Topic, it seems I never know where my life will be taking me, I am now living in Udon Thani about 10 clicks from the main city. But I think running a thread on Udon Thani would be a mammoth task for me.

If your interested let me know, I am still in the very early stages of getting to know the area or CITY

Hi macb,

You're so blessed with 'freedom'.

Seem you can come and go anywhere you want at anytime you wish. I agree life is good.

Wish you all the happiness wherever you may be.

Don't forget to write and tell us about your new adventure in new town.

Tinky

Sidenote, I had an opportunity meeting Chris & Mrs on Friday April 24 in Petchabun. Spent an entire evening dining and enjoy ourselves with Thai music at "Chom-sang-chan' restaurant.

Sorry to miss you and others. Now I'm back home in Florida three days ago.

I'm still hoping to meet more of you in the future.

Tinky

hi folks:

I just want to thank friends on here for there hearty words of support: At last I feel I have met the right partner that is why I have started a new beginning in Udon Thani .

We have been together 3 months but it seems like a lot longer, I am not going to give details as I know it feels good.

I have made a complete turn around in my life for the good stopped smoking stopped drinking stopped visiting the wrong places !!!!!

A FEW MONTHS AGO I FOUND I HAD AMATEUR SKILLS AND HAVE WRITTEN MANY FICTIONAL SHORT STORIES ALL FROM IMAGINATION AND SOME BASED ON EXPERIENCES AND KNOWLEDGE, BUT THEY HAVE BEEN POSTED IN ANTHER FORUM. but RECEIVE MANY READERS. WHAT A SHAME THERE IS NOT A WRITERS FORUM ON HERE SO I CAN SHARE MY WRITINGS WITH YOU ALL

Thanks again friends

I came to Phetchabun for the first time on the 8th to 11th May. Not at the city of Phetachabun but about 30km north in Lom Sak, where I stayed in Grand Nattirat hotel, which is quite decent, old but clean and price was really reasonable. My GF lives in Lom Kao, so there's a little bit of travelling between this two places. I did not plan to go to Phetchabun because of time constraint but I do wish to meet farangs living in Thailand because my relationship with my GF is getting stronger. but I do wish to meet ppl in phetchabun to hear their stories, especially Chris, who has been contributing a lot in this forum. I am not from the west side of the world, but I am as good as any farang in thailand.

Hope to meet you guys one day, and when I come to phetchabun again, I will make plans to go to Phetchabun city and meet you all. Drinks will be on me!

Hi Benny

Would G'day mate be the correct greetng? anyway welcome to the area and I hope you enjoyed your stay, give us a buzz when you are back it'll be good to see you

edit, just spotted you are Singaporean, spent 2 happy years in early 70's boy has the place changed

Chris

Edited by aitch52

G'day Chris, any greeting is ok here in Singapore, the lil' red dot on the map.

Amazing Thailand isn't it....??? khrai khrai ruk thai.

Never had really relaxing and peaceful feeling here, a different world altogether in my few days in Phetchabun. Only setback is the afternoon heat when I was there. Heavenly weather at night.

Thank you, will definitely give u a buzz when I come back to Phetchabun. Cheers.

• 1 month later...
hi guys,

I live in chondaen, 50min northwest of petchabun city. I am 38 years old, and live with my wife and doberman. Feel free to drop by if any of you come close to this area!

cheers, chr

Hi mate, looks like your map is upside down as Chondaen is down the hill (south) unless there happens to be 2. I have just moved into Petchabuhn and the wifes family are from Khaosai which is south of you so if you PM me your number I'll call and have a beer with you one of these days.

Cheers