Major Airlines To Cut Long-haul Flights To Thailand

george

• Replies 145
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Anyone getting tickets for the same price they have in recent years is very lucky.

I just checked today's flight invoices in the office and we are now paying £340 on the taxes and fuel surcharge on a Thai Airways return flight from LHR to Bangkok and add-ons to/fro Chiang Mai.

This element of a ticket was about £150 14 months ago so it's more than doubled - some of this was the extra charges at Heathrow but most of it is fuel.

Certainly when it went up something like £100 very recently (to this new total of £340), it was all fuel. So for a family, if you combine this extra money with already paying higher prices for your tickets for travelling in peak times, it can start becoming very expensive.

We were lucky that Thai Airways didn't just apply the recent increase from a particular date (as they have before) but gave a leeway for anything in the system already. Our customers who'd booked in advance with a deposit to us wouldn't have suffered in either case as we'd have absorbed the extra (which would have been painful for us after absorbing the impacts of the fuel increases on the ground in Thailand) but of course we charged any new customers more. Thai Airways gave us minimal notice so quite a few families ended up having to pay £500 more for their holiday or not go.

If you're travelling out of peak times, then there is always the odd special fare which will cancel out most of of the increase in fuel surchages. It will typically have restrictions on it (e.g. book and pay for it quickly to help the airline's cashflow, restrictions on changes etc). Also, Middle Eastern airlines can clearly weather the storm a bit better and keep their prices low. There are also some consolidators who operate on really high volume so can manage with razor thing margins. But on the whole, no doubt airline tickets are more expensive than they were.

You gals & boyz don't seem to know Thailand. :D

Thai-style 'adaptation' to the new situation will of course mean that prices

and rip-offs will increase to compensate for the loss of income.

:o:D

Edited by pepi2005

There has been and continues to be the realization that the major tourist locales in Thailand are pretty much "has-been" locations. Few if any retain the original charm that made them popular. The TAT will go on about airlines, exchange rates, and political tension etc, but the fact is that the fun factor and value is largely gone. The world has moved on (except for the Russians/East Europeans who are just "discovering" LOS). Frankly, an American can have more fun, for the same cost in Hawaii (including female companionship) when you add it all up. And with a whole lot less travel time, hassle, scams, and filth.

I find this rather odd as Gulf Air tells me there are no seats available in July,

High Season is the reason they give................

I think TAT is telling porky pies............ :o

Many carriers are cutting down on the number of flights to accommodate lower demand. Air Canada has. Many employees have been laid off. I am sure others will. I hear some carriers are on the brink of bankrupcies.

Seeing how the price of food (and other commodities) is going, pork pies will not be affordable for many! :D Heck! Judging how things are going, you might have to bag a sandwich (or pie) for your next flight home! :D

In theory of course fewer flights therefore bigger passenger payloads should lead to LOWER prices - will it heck the airlines will grab as much as they can for this by continuing to charge more as the seats sell out. I can only hope that the spare slots will be opened up to the low cost carriers who will fill planes, give you the choice about what you want to eat and drink and should be able to market at affordable prices and put the major rip off airlines where they belong - in bankruptcy.

I totally agree with cutting the number of flights to everywhere since planes fly half empty or less sometimes to accommodate business schedules - we can all be more flexible about when we fly and help not only to make the independent airlines more successful but also to reduce the impact on the environment.

This should be something good - I suspect that as usual that travellers will simply be made to pay more on the basis of supply and demand - what an immoral world this is!

Edited by gbswales

:D :D

LOL, I have to totally agree with you there.

Maybe they don't need more flights next year because all of the people they flew to Thailand this year are still here on overstay and wont go back.

I'm soooo going to get into trouble for that :o

I agree with Naklang:

In Europe (UE), tourism for family in Thailand begins to be a "has been" destination.

Many more attractive and cheaper places, manytimes nearer, are becoming "en vogue"...

Maybe Thailand AND airways companies have to worry about this...

Note, just to be clear: I'm settled in LOS, and nothing seems "has been" to me here :o

Prime destination, doubt it will be as dire as the article makes out. :o

I agree regardless of internal price increases in Thailand they are still very cheap for the likes of Europeans and Americans. Heck I opened the Daily telegraph this morning to see Etihad offering return flights from London to BKK for only 420 UK pounds, admittedly for Sept/oct travel.

I Think that is plus TAX Just been on Etihad site

Quote for Oct from Manchester £453.00

Go on to booking and you will see TAX is £189.60

Total is £642.60

More realistic But not bad considering the economic climate and Silly OIL Prices

I agree regardless of internal price increases in Thailand they are still very cheap for the likes of Europeans and Americans. Heck I opened the Daily telegraph this morning to see Etihad offering return flights from London to BKK for only 420 UK pounds, admittedly for Sept/oct travel.

Total is £642.60

More realistic But not bad considering the economic climate and Silly OIL Prices

I got a flight on Royal Jordanian last November for £380 including tax! God knows how they managed that! Apparently they're still doing similar deals

:D :D

LOL, I have to totally agree with you there.

Maybe they don't need more flights next year because all of the people they flew to Thailand this year are still here on overstay and wont go back.

I'm soooo going to get into trouble for that :o

I remember a time when prices went UP during low season in the bars!

I remember a time when prices went UP during low season in the bars!

Well look at Thai Elite for a prime example, they want to attract more members by increasing the fee from 1M to 1.5M

Typical logic around here.

(Please no Thai Elite flames, I only used it as a prime example of attracting more by making it more expensive.)

In a lot of countries if something costs more its because its either better made or lasts longer. In Thailand if something is more expensive it's the same old thing at an inflated price because they didn't sell enough the first time around.

Total is £642.60

I got a flight on Royal Jordanian last November for £380 including tax! God knows how they managed that! Apparently they're still doing similar deals

I have one this September with Finnair for £390, credit crunch? What credit crunch!

I found very... opportune... that TAT discontinued... its website with statistics of arrivals (with 2 months lag only, per country, and type of borders, airport, land etc.), based on Immigration datas.

Everything was in nice Excel files, per month. It was great to follow precisely the flows of tourists.

But they stopped in february 2008 (with december 2007 figures)... And then the website... just gone.

The link was :

http://www2.tat.or.th/stat/web/static_download.php?Rpt=nmt

Even though it's still possible to manipulate hard datas, now I guess, we will have to rely on super late press releases. :o

No more figures for tourists arrivals. No figures for number of work permits, for visas (per type, tourist, O, business, retirement etc.)...

No figures that could embarass the authorities...

Edited by cclub75

:o:D

Yup, you are right. Thai logic when things are slow charge double

Just done a quick check on a local outfit travel agent E-Book...s for a couple of dates in October ...next joli and WOT . :D

..Thai Airways to Bangers is 786 quid while the "Bahrain sand dancers" at Gulf Air are dong the trip ...(albiet with a stop in one of my old stomping grounds) for 476 pound. :D ...difference of over 300 notes.

Must admit that I have enjoyed TG over the years (usually 2-4 trips a year )and had lots of good times with them .. even a Gold card until they messed about with the miles but looks like history repeats itself....in ...Pop Gun Mai Krup....see you....NO MORE CUSTOM....Hoe-Zay..

Wifes GC expires in Jan and even she reluctantly agrees that the "as smooth as rip off silk"price hike merchants have had their day.......shame ......

Next years first visit (March) I will have 5 other with me plus wifee but when the difference between Taliban air..oops...and TG hits over 2,000 quid ..guess wot.

.....would rather spend the dosh in poor Chiang Mai beer bars..or buy another 10 Rai. :D:o

Anyone getting tickets for the same price they have in recent years is very lucky.

I just checked today's flight invoices in the office and we are now paying £340 on the taxes and fuel surcharge on a Thai Airways return flight from LHR to Bangkok and add-ons to/fro Chiang Mai.

This element of a ticket was about £150 14 months ago so it's more than doubled - some of this was the extra charges at Heathrow but most of it is fuel.

Exactly.

4 years ago I flew LHR-BKK on Thai for £376 all in, 100% airmiles. The taxes are nearly this much.

Just been quoted £986 for late July, over £1000 for August :o

RAZZ

My major worry right now is getting stranded here in Thailand after something like another 9/11, bird flu and the already f^%* up global economy combined with skyrocketing oil prices. Many airlines almost didn't survive 9/11. What if those guys had made it leaving Heathrow and blown up those planes? If anything like that happens again, millions will be stranded abroad.

I seriously think that every day, especially extended stays abroad is a huge risk these days, unless you re not planning on going back where you are from. We are all together in a veeery fragile situation these days and I wish my family and I could leave right now... The moment my wife's PR card is ready...

Edited by Tony Clifton

Total is £642.60

Interesting name for a fuel surcharge.

I find this rather odd as Gulf Air tells me there are no seats available in July,

High Season is the reason they give................

Hahaha, guess I got the last one !

Actually, I booked my tickets a couple of weeks ago, and originally my agent had me as "wait-listed" on the flight from Bahrain to Bangkok. I told him that was no good, because if I didn't make that flight, I'd miss the connections in Bangkok. Not sure what he did, but the next day I was confirmed all the way.

Obviously, as airlines cut back on flights, the ones remaining are going to be jam packed full. Little chance for free upgrades in the future.

Gulf has just ADDED a morning direct flight from Bahrain to Bangkok and on my evening flight last week cattle was full, 70% business, 25% First. Morning flight Full all classes according to the chief steu.

Dunno just bought a ticket, same price its been for years. :D Perhaps it might dip for some, but those who can afford it will carry on, and those that won't will stay at home. Pretty simple. :D

:o I agree..it's simple; the majority can't afford to pay the prices anymore, some will. You were lucky to pay the same price as before but it won't last any longer, soon.

LaoPo

I pay only 360 GBP for two visits last year and year before, now I'm married and have to pay for two, I cannot find flights for less than 460 GBP, so I for one would welcome a drop in long haul fares

Well I ahve been to Thailand 4 times this year and to be honest if you look around a flight with Eva and Thai and Qatar has risen from an average £630 for a London to Thailand flight to what is now £730. This is a direct flight. The problem is that America is struggling economny wise and so is the UK. The people now with the money are Russia and Arabia, these alone will support the tourist economy in thailand for the time being. Whether this is good for Thailand and the people of Thailand, i do not wish to expand on, you guys can do that if you want. Lets face it, the UK is expensive now for living and holidays to spain are due to the Euro being highly competitive against the pound and dollar. The Ameracans cant afford to go anywhere, they are really struggling and until they get back on thier feet, hopefully soon, the world economy is not going to be easy. Money is tight, the airlines adjust and then demand in a year or two will kick in, then we will be getting cheap flights again. Thailand I think are going to have a tuff time ahead, but we will see the growing amount of the Russians entering the Land of Smiles, just hope they keep the Thai people smiling. I dont think the politics in Thailand is enough yet to stop us Thailnd lovers from going.

My frined lives in thailand and owns a hotel in Pattaya, he says, " its getting tough, he had one person staying for two weeks in his 16 bed hotel and he dropped the price from 800 baht to 400...its not good. Already the hotels are dropping and the bars and the girls that work are now only getting 800 baht a night instead of the 1500-2000 last year. The bubble has burst and the water is being turned off...Keep smiling ladies

I booked my flight for October a month ago, and chose a different airlines. AA wanted $2700 for the 1-stop flight, Korean offers a 1-stop for $300 less than I paid AA last year. Hopefully they will still be flying in October. :o The total cost for the Korean flight was $1466. I paid American $1780 last year.

Edited by KBTexas

Well I ahve been to Thailand 4 times this year and to be honest if you look around a flight with Eva and Thai and Qatar has risen from an average £630 for a London to Thailand flight to what is now £730. This is a direct flight. The problem is that America is struggling economny wise and so is the UK.

The people now with the money are Russia and Arabia, these alone will support the tourist economy in thailand for the time being. Whether this is good for Thailand and the people of Thailand, i do not wish to expand on, you guys can do that if you want. Lets face it, the UK is expensive now for living and holidays to spain are due to the Euro being highly competitive against the pound and dollar. The Ameracans cant afford to go anywhere, they are really struggling and until they get back on thier feet, hopefully soon, the world economy is not going to be easy. Money is tight, the airlines adjust and then demand in a year or two will kick in, then we will be getting cheap flights again. Thailand I think are going to have a tuff time ahead, but we will see the growing amount of the Russians entering the Land of Smiles, just hope they keep the Thai people smiling. I dont think the politics in Thailand is enough yet to stop us Thailnd lovers from going.

My frined lives in thailand and owns a hotel in Pattaya, he says, " its getting tough, he had one person staying for two weeks in his 16 bed hotel and he dropped the price from 800 baht to 400...its not good. Already the hotels are dropping and the bars and the girls that work are now only getting 800 baht a night instead of the 1500-2000 last year. The bubble has burst and the water is being turned off...Keep smiling ladies

A lot of people just don't want to see what's coming and call it gloom and doom views. It's not, it's reality. If you go 4 times/year to LOS and you have to pay 100 pounds/trip more, that's 400 GBP. I could go on.

About Russia and Arabia; you're not correct here. Tourism from these countries is still very low in comparison to the total incoming tourism. Unfortunately I can't get into TAT's website today because you can find all the %'s there over 2007.

The story about your friends' small hotel in Pattaya says it all... :o

The ones who are saying: "fine, let tourism slow down" don't realize yet what it will mean.

Nobody notices the declining tourism yet but the effects will be devastating.

LaoPo

It is all about priorities - if you want to go to Thailand, don't waste money on $4.00 cups of coffee, stop smoking, and suddenly you have a $100 extra at the end of the week!

Scrimp and save in the west to go to LOS and live the good life!!!

In january we paid a total of £1020 for the 2 of us from Manchester > We tried to get the same flights (Emirates) and they want £890 each and as there are 5 going this time we have decided to go with Gulf from LHR ( sorry Atlas looks like we got the last 5 ). Having shopped around and played off a few ticket lines against each other I managed to get the flights for £640 each(4 x adults) and £540 for my son( 11 year old) with flights from Leeds to LHR and then return internal flights to Udon and then return flights to Phuket it worked out in total £870 each for the 4 adults and £765 for my son.

Last october we flew Manchester to Hongkong then Hongkong to BKK and back to Man and it cost a total of £1120 although I used 2 different agents ( 1for the Hongkong to BKK was only £80 each with ebookers).

For me this will be the last time I travel during the schoool Holidays as its getting silly, from next year we will travel to LOS 8 or 9 days before songkran for a 3 week period and then have our 2nd visit in October/November if we can afford a double trip.

In january we paid a total of £1020 for the 2 of us from Manchester >

We tried to get the same flights (Emirates) and they want £890 each and as there are 5 going this time we have decided to go with Gulf from LHR ( sorry Atlas looks like we got the last 5 ). Having shopped around and played off a few ticket lines against each other

I managed to get the flights for £640 each(4 x adults) and £540 for my son( 11 year old) with flights from Leeds to LHR and then return internal flights to Udon and then return flights to Phuket it worked out in total £870 each for the 4 adults and £765 for my son.

Last october we flew Manchester to Hongkong then Hongkong to BKK and back to Man and it cost a total of £1120 although I used 2 different agents ( 1for the Hongkong to BKK was only £80 each with ebookers).

For me this will be the last time I travel during the schoool Holidays as its getting silly, from next year we will travel to LOS 8 or 9 days before songkran for a 3 week period and then have our 2nd visit in October/November if we can afford a double trip.

If I'm correct and following your prices you paid GBP 510/each in January and now GBP 640/each, is that correct ?

If so, you paid 25.5% extra since January per adult ticket

No wonder major airlines are cutting in their long-haul flights; passengers stay away, simple as that.

Fewer planes = fewer seats = harder to get tickets/seats at higher prices.

LaoPo

In the meantime in the US.... :o

Landmark Survey Reveals Deep Frustration Among Air Travelers – 41 Million Trips Avoided, $26.5 Billion Blow to Economy

A groundbreaking survey recently commissioned by TIA found that frustration with the air travel system is growing and that this frustration is highest among those who fly the most. In fact, 28% of air travelers avoided at least one trip over the past year due to the problems in the air travel process, costing the economy over $26.5 billion through 41 million trips that were not taken.

http://www.tia.org/resources/Public_Affair...vey_Summary.pdf

LaoPo