Major Airlines To Cut Long-haul Flights To Thailand

george

Dunno just bought a ticket, same price its been for years. :o Perhaps it might dip for some, but those who can afford it will carry on, and those that won't will stay at home. Pretty simple. :D

Yes it's simple, but it still means that people can't afford to come to Thailand and that will be a decrease in tourist numbers. This will have a knock-on effect on the Thai economy.

You'll have a return to the jetset days when only the rich and privileged could afford to fly to distant and exotic places.

Would you want to pay buisness class prices to sit in an economy seat?

I'm going back to the UK this month. I'm going at exactly the same time as I did last year. There has been an increase on the price of my flights of 3000 THB. Not a great amount, but the prices are rising and the travel agent said that he can't guarantee the lowest prices as they are increasing every month. A 36,000 THB flight was quoted as 42,000 THB if we did not pay by a set date. Naturally I paid and got the best deal.

Still, with less people flying, less carbon emissions and we may save the planet. All swings and roundabouts. :D

• Replies 145
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I think that "everyone" has it wrong. I think that the "smart money" is setting things up for a killing in the airline industry. Here is why:

1. reduce service all routes

2. eliminate service unprovitable routes

3. both of which increases load factors

4. rainse fares

5. institute fuel surcharges to pass along increase in fuel

6. create new fees such as for checking baggage, controling carry ons size

7. put out of service ineffieciet aircraft

8. lay off staff

9 freeze or reduce remaining staff pay

By doing this all that will fly are those tht have to fly or/and can pay the higer prices, fuel surcharges and miscellaneous fees and since their will be less seats higher load factors and all paying top dollar will the exra fees cover the extra costs this "will be" a WINNER for the airlines and the "smart money.

So I am buying airline stock now while the price is at the bottom because in the future when these new policies have their impact in the Airline financials especially year over year the the stock value will quadruple in 18 months

Take it to the bank!

I'm in Muscat presently and have been trying to get a reservation for any flight back to Bangkok and it's really difficult - as it turns out I'm going to have to fly up to Bahrain and then do a very expensive business class to Bangkok on Gulf Air if I want to get back this week, no other alternatives anywhere in the region so I don't know there's much truth in slowing inbound tourist numbers for a while yet.

While domestic tourism will be more sluggish than last year due to political conflict, Apichart attributed the lower number of foreign visitors to efforts in Europe and the United States to lure tourists from the Middle East.

Sorry if someone has already raised this (I haven't read all four pages of replies yet) but does anyone attach any credibility to this statement or seen any evidence of increased middle eastern tourisn in the USA or Europe?

They are selling their Airbuses when in fact they should be mothballing the appalling 747's which is where they are losing big money.

Totally agree their 747s - at least the ones they fly to Europe, are getting very tatty, although that's mainly because they were supposed to be getting replaced already by the new A380s. (but the A380s are late).

But on a quick check right now on a few airline websites, for flights this week, Thai charges £200 more for you to fly on their crappy 747s than BA does (both are direct flights, on 747-400s, and BA/Qantas have in-flight entertainment, and Thai doesn't), and even that's more than it would cost to fly on Singapore (via Singapore obviously).

Admittedly, even saving £200 on the ticket, I'd pick Thai over BA (but that's because I'm over six foot, and BAs economy seats belong in a torture chamber if you're tall).

But picking Thai over Singapore, when Singapore is about £230 less... - I'll put up with the stopover I think. (and if I'm worried about leg room on checking Singapore's seat pitch, I'll pay slightly more to go on the A380).

(Just need to check if that fare gives points only on the Krisflyer program, or if I could get them onto my Thai ROP gold card).

Admittedly, the Thai tickets from their website will be flexible (i.e. changes to the return date are free, within the validity of the ticket.) - BA's prices were definitely not flexible...

Edited to add comments flexibility.

Edited by bkk_mike

I Have to agree with ( iamsobad). Maybe a lot of people won't come here any more. All the little rules, check in ever 90 days, certicate of residency to buy a veh. Lots of BS every year to get the retirement visa renewed. It all adds up to a pain in the a--.

I been coming here 7 years I notice a change of attitude among Thais ( not for the better ) . Maybe this place got too popular and now needs a drop in foriegnors so that Thais will notice their source of income is drying up.

For an American its not as good a deal as it once was. South America is cheaper and closer. The women are nice. What other reason do single men come here for?

Dunno just bought a ticket, same price its been for years. :D Perhaps it might dip for some, but those who can afford it will carry on, and those that won't will stay at home. Pretty simple. :D

Man, your a genious! Those who can still afford it will come to Thailand (or maybe not :o ), and those who cant afford it wont come! So no real change - <deleted>!!!

How about major credit crunch affecting most of the world - oil price at record high, most major airlines cutting flights to Thailand or applying massive surcharges. Those who cant afford it actually count as less :D

I was talking to an eldely couple (early 60s) in Pattaya the othere day and i asked the lady - first time in Thailand - what she thought. Her simple answer was - 'i feel terrified'

Gulf have no seats because every Saudi/Arab is escaping the unbearable heat and they love Thailand

I travelled on Gulf a couple of weeks ago, on the flight out of Bangkok, First Class was empty, I was the only passenger in Business and Economy was about 50% full/empty, and it was a nice new plane with sleeper seats.

On the flight back last Monday, First Class had two passengers and Business was only half full though economy was pretty full. The plane on the return flight was an old bone shaker with my Business Class seat barely reclining, there was also a delay of almost five hours in Bahrain.

I Have to agree with ( iamsobad). Maybe a lot of people won't come here any more. All the little rules, check in ever 90 days, certicate of residency to buy a veh. Lots of BS every year to get the retirement visa renewed. It all adds up to a pain in the a--.

I been coming here 7 years I notice a change of attitude among Thais ( not for the better ) . Maybe this place got too popular and now needs a drop in foriegnors so that Thais will notice their source of income is drying up.

For an American its not as good a deal as it once was. South America is cheaper and closer. The women are nice. What other reason do single men come here for?

I can relate to your posting bob6023 ! But which south American countries make it easy to stay

a long time and is this only for those with a USA passport ?

Yes on my return flight last week to New Zealand, i was told by the head steward that all direct flights to New Zealand would stop by the end 2008, and would need to fly through Australia.

I wish you had not said that as I have just come to Auckland 10 days ago to work and I want to go home at Christmas and back in the New Year.

I am hoping the job will last a couple of years and I found the Thai TG 989 direct flight from BKK to AUK is a superb flight and I will be sad if it is discontinued.

While domestic tourism will be more sluggish than last year due to political conflict, Apichart attributed the lower number of foreign visitors to efforts in Europe and the United States to lure tourists from the Middle East.

Sorry if someone has already raised this (I haven't read all four pages of replies yet) but does anyone attach any credibility to this statement or seen any evidence of increased middle eastern tourisn in the USA or Europe?

I haven't seen anything to substantiate the luring of middle easterners to Europe or USA.

It's a tall claim as far as I am concerned.

I have seen some figures about an 88 percent rise in middle eastern tourist to Macau though.

I am thinking of starting a Halal restaurant there :o

Dunno just bought a ticket, same price its been for years. :o Perhaps it might dip for some, but those who can afford it will carry on, and those that won't will stay at home. Pretty simple. :D

I have seen general increases in the prices of flights here and to Thailand. You just might have lucked out. I know I did, but, by and large, they have increased. Soon, there will be fewer tourists coming from Europe or America, for sure, or retirees, staking out places in Thailand. Tourism in Thailand will suffer, but price of everything will keep climbing. Even though competion will increase and keep prices somewhat lower, speculative rises in the price of food and gas will affect everyone at the end. Companies have to make a profit. And if they cannot sustain losses, they will shutdown, increasing unemployment, unrest, robberies, crime,... And, as I predict, if a global recesssion occurs, everyone is going to be affected, even retirees with pension plans, walking in an alley or resting in their houses, unless of course they buy the services of guards and/or place mines and gates around their houses. Airplance companies are laying off employees, left, right, and center. It will affect many people. The multiplier effect in the economy is going to be great. How much fun will it be to drive in the streets? BKK or Chiang Mai will not be as much fun as they used to be, except perhaps for the ones who can take the hit. But there will be consequences for all. How much will it cost you to go abroad when many of the players have closd their shops? How much will it cost you to drive or take that one tuk-tul that could weather the storm?

Oil speculation needs to be controlled.

Until then, everyone will suffer. Even you!

Well said hit OPEC where it counts in the pocket. Look at what they need and hike the price 10, 100, 1000 fold.

I haven't seen anything to substantiate the luring of middle easterners to Europe or USA.

I have seen some figures about an 88 percent rise in middle eastern tourist to Macau though.

My thoughts exactly. Another example of Thai businesses, and politicians, blaming everyone else but themselves.

By the by anyone else see this as well, in Bangkok Post

Thai Airways International is prepared to plead guilty to a charge of cargo price fixing and pay fines of up to US$300 million in the European Union to settle the case.

The national carrier confirmed its position after the US Justice Department announced last Thursday that four international airlines including Air France-KLM had agreed to pay $504 million in fines in the US to settle charges they conspired to drive up cargo prices.

BA has already paid last year. This is a part of a US Justice Department/EU competition action against price fixing within the air cargo industry.

Regards

BKK Post typically temp link

i just booked brisbane to phuket with Singapore Air for 1235aus dollars i was paying around that for the last 10 years . Last october paid 1050$with royal brunei brisbane to singapore and it was like riding in the back of a hay cart. the taxes are the biggest lift to prices

My thoughts exactly. Another example of Thai businesses, and politicians, blaming everyone else but themselves.

well with all the extra security, with the never ending war on terror, all of those middle eastern people with Arab names just cant wait to go through all that BS in US and EU airports. :D

As of today in Holland every passenger has to pay an extra tax of € 11.-/ticket flying WITHIN Europe and € 45.- OUTSIDE Europe.

For a family of 4 that would mean € 180.- extra to Thailand.

That's US$ 285 or Thai Baht 9.500 extra... :o

LaoPo

Doom/gloom is the trend these days, take the optimistic approach and half the battle is won. :o

This is the reason that britmaverick is a winner.

He tries to show others how to improve their lives, but, he is mostly casting pearls before swine. :D

It would be a nice thought if the figures were expected to be down because of the Farangs who got murdered/shot this year. Unfortunately tourists are totally oblivious to it.

Doom/gloom is the trend these days, take the optimistic approach and half the battle is won. :D

He tries to show others how to improve their lives, but, he is mostly casting pearls before swine. :D

Hmmm, I've heard he loves to cast pearl necklaces on those he favours. :o

No worries brit ! I'll let Jenny's know that you'll be back soon (but they'll have to give you a raise to help pay for your plane tickets ! :D

Cheers KerryD - I'll make sure Jenny's gives you a bigger pay packet too. Your dancing is legendary. :D

:D:o

(but I did learn from "The Masters That Move, The Sultans of Shakin', The Kings of Khatoeys", britmaveric, kurgen and diaperdaleyboy !) :D

I had an interesting experience this week with EVA Air relating to the higher fuel prices....

I had finished my business on my trip back to the USA, and was considering changing my return flight back to BKK to an earlier date. Normally, the EVA rebooking charge would cost $100, but I would have saved more than that thru savings by avoiding hotel nights here...

However, when I called EVA and found they had an earlier return seat available, they insisted the price for making the change would be $175 -- the normal $100 rebooking charge for an economy ticket, PLUS about $75 more that they argued was the increase in the fuel surcharge since the time of my original ticket purchase some months ago.

I argued with the rep about that, and asked her to check with her supervisor. But the answer came back that to change the date of my return flight, which I had already purchased, they would have to re-issue my ticket...which all along was an E-mail ticket anyway... And in reissuing the ticket, they insisted I'd become responsible for the current higher fuel surcharge....

The $175 added price would have ended up eating away most of my potential hotel savings. So in the end, I decided to just keep my original return flight, and spend a few more days relaxing in L.A. and visiting with friends here.

So, I'm wondering if anyone has had a similar experience lately with trying to change the date of an already purchased ticket/reservation. EVA's interpretation of that came as quite a surprise... and I wasn't going to give them an extra $175....on top of the already expensive RT ticket price...

And,with the way ticket prices are soaring, I may not be making trips back to the USA quite so often as has been my practice the past couple years...

Old saying about the pot calling the kettle black. :o Cuz, your efforts on behalf of Wat Pa Pao, are both admirable and impressive. Personally, I can deal with the airfares, but I'd hate to see it have an impact on people like you or the foreigners like you that are doing such an incredible job with those homeless furballs.

And for those that don't understand what I'm babbling about, go read a positive thread in the Chiang Mai forums. Made my aggravation over the airfares go away.

June 9 (Bloomberg) -- China Airlines and EVA Airways Corp., Taiwan's largest carriers, will cut as much as 10 percent of flights as they struggle to cope with jet-fuel prices that have doubled in a year.

China Airlines is axing 100 passenger flights a month, mainly to the U.S. and Asia, spokesman Bruce Chen said by phone today. EVA Air will cancel about 5 percent of its passenger services from Sept. 1 to Dec. 1, said spokeswoman Katherine Ko.

The airlines follow Qantas Airways Ltd., China Southern Airlines Co. and other Asia-Pacific carriers in announcing cuts after surcharges failed to cover surging jet-fuel costs. Higher ticket prices have also helped damp travel demand, with Taiwanese residents making 0.8 percent fewer flights overseas in the first quarter than a year earlier.

The Taiwanese carriers ``lose money from every flight they make,'' said Bruce Tsao, an analyst at Capital Securities Corp. in Taipei. ``They don't have any choice'' except making cuts. He rates both Taipei-based China Airlines and EVA Air as ``hold.''

China Airlines fell 6 percent to close at NT$14.80 in Taipei trading, compared with a 1.8 percent decline in the benchmark Taiex index. Smaller rival EVA Airways declined 5 percent to NT$16.25.

China Airlines will axe 50 all-cargo flights a month as well as making cuts in areas including marketing, said Chen. The carrier presently has no plans to reduce salaries or to trim flights to Europe, where earnings are better, he added.

`Control Our Losses'

``We're hoping to control our losses,'' said Chen. The reduced number of flights ``will continue until the company turns a profit or oil costs become relatively favorable.''

China Airlines' loss widened to NT$2.97 billion ($98 million) in the first quarter, from NT$806 million a year earlier. EVA Air's loss was NT$2.29 billion, compared with NT$331 million a year earlier.

EVA Air will cut services to Amsterdam, Los Angeles, and Ho Chi Minh City, Ko said. The airline, based in northern Taiwan's Taoyuan, is yet to decide whether the flights will resume after Dec. 1, she added.

Taiwanese carriers have raised surcharges on international routes three times this year. Taipei-based Far Eastern Air Transport Corp. halted flights in May due to a lack of funds.

At least seven major Asia-Pacific airlines have announced plans to cut flights in the past two weeks, because of surging fuel costs. Qantas and Air New Zealand Ltd. both said last week they will trim international services. China Southern, the nation's biggest airline, is planning similar moves.

Airlines across the region dropped after the price of oil jumped the most ever in dollar terms on June 6, climbing $10.75, or 8.4 percent, to $138.54 a barrel. That boosted the cost of jet fuel, most Asian airlines' biggest expense.

Carriers worldwide may report a combined loss of as much as $6.1 billion this year, the worst since 2003, according to the International Air Transport Association.

To contact the reporter on the story: Yu-huay Sun in Taipei [email protected]

Last Updated: June 9, 2008 02:28 EDT

So, I'm wondering if anyone has had a similar experience lately with trying to change the date of an already purchased ticket/reservation. EVA's interpretation of that came as quite a surprise... and I wasn't going to give them an extra $175....on top of the already expensive RT ticket price...

And,with the way ticket prices are soaring, I may not be making trips back to the USA quite so often as has been my practice the past couple years...

Why it came as a surpise to you? It's quite obvious that if you change the date with any airline, you will pay rebooking fee AND any price difference between the new ticket and the old ticket.

In the past 5 years of traveling frequently on EVA, I've probably changed my flight date 4 or 5 times in total... In all of those times, for whatever reason, the only amount I was ever charged before was the flat $100 --and until this flight -- never anything extra beyond that.

When you buy your ticket you have to tick a box that you agree with the terms and conditions.

I have a ticket with EVA for January and i can not change anything i am committed to the flight

thats why it was the cheapest option.

There were lots of options for the same flight with different penalty's for any changes you may make

I guess you get what you pay for.

You may just be unlucky.