Train To Doi Khun Tan National Park

emh1969

I need some help with the train schedule to Doi Khun Tan. My 2008 Lonely Planet says there are three trains a day between Chiang Mai and the park....6:45, 9:20, and 3:40. I'd like to do this as a day trip but don't want to have to get to the train station at 6:45 and 3:40 is obviously too late to leave and return the same day. So the 9:20 would be ideal. But when I look at this website, the only morning train I see is the 6:45:

http://www.railway.co.th/English/Time_HTML.asp

Does anyone know if there are any other morning departures besides the 6:45??

Thanks!

Can't help with the traintimes - perhaps check with the station, but have done this trip (on the early train) and walked on from the station up through the national park an up to the top. Is a really good walk - the park people most friendly, nice thai restaurant and a small visitor centre.

Main reason for posting however is to let you know that the return leg is frequently a problem - the outgoing train seems to run on time, but the return train is unreliable so be prepared for a wait.

Hope that helps.

The problem is that you look at the English time table, which only lists main trains that go all the way on to Bangkok.

If you look at the Thai time table ( http://www.railway.co.th/timetable/N_Nb.html ) you will see that there is a train to Khuntan at 06:45, 09:20 (Ordinary, gets to Khuntan at 10:39), 14:50, 16:30, etc. (Khuntan is the third one from the top).

Indeed you need to look at the Thai language timetable (that they will not give to farang unless asked). There are secret trains on this timetable that they prefer farang not to know about.

My out-of date timetable in Thai, valid from 1 August 2006 has morning trains from Chiang Mai (Changers to some) to Khun Tan at 6:45 & 8:55 arriving at 8:05 & 10:19 respectively. I repeat this is out of date. But there are 2 trains, the 102 & the 408.