Ais Data Compatible?

Chutney

I'm ditching Dprompt pay as you go sim and switching to 1-2 Call / AIS.

Trying to set up mobile - laptop net access. I don't arrive in Bangkok for a couple of days and want to get everything else set up. Given that my technical know how is less than stellar my head feels like it's about to explode.

Apparantly the sim needs to be data compatible and enabled.

I don't really understand what this actually means let alone know if this is the case.

Help?

Hi

You can use GPRS with AIS's pre- and post-paid services. You might need to ring their call center and ask for the service to be activated, but its no hassle.

More important is that your phone needs to have GPRS (most of the recent phones do these days), and then you need some way to connect it to your laptop (IR, bluetooth or a data cable). What model have you got ? You can usually find out from the manufacturers website.

Thanks. I think I don't want GPRS... or do I? Isn't that the thing which works re roaming and costs a fortune?

I have a Nokia 8310. Nokia websites suggests I can use it via Infra Fred to give me a dial up connection on my laptop. I was just going to sign up for the worldwide net service rather than fiddle about with local dial up ISP.

Downloading the software from nokia site should make it possible to use my phone as a modem. I think. This is all new to me. :o

Thanks. I think I don't want GPRS... or do I? Isn't that the thing which works re roaming and costs a fortune?

I have a Nokia 8310. Nokia websites suggests I can use it via Infra Fred to give me a dial up connection on my laptop. I was just going to sign up for the worldwide net service rather than fiddle about with local dial up ISP.

Downloading the software from nokia site should make it possible to use my phone as a modem. I think. This is all new to me.  :o

It's equivalent to a dial up connection, and its pretty cheap here (unlike most countries you don't pay per KB which is normally horrendously expensive, instead you pay 1 baht per minute or you can get prepaid packages with lots of hours bundled). If you get prepaid card there's no messing around.

I'm pretty sure GPRS in Thailand would be cheaper than your global package (ours costs a fortune), but if you are going to be travelling all over the place then maybe you need it.

That sounds marvelous. I won't be trotting about that much. Ispend time in two places only apart from going through Bangkok a few times.

Any suggestions of where I could go taking phone and laptop to get the whole thing set up in one hit? I'm perfectly happy to pay for someone to do it for me. Just downloads for operation can be tricky as I only have a memeory stick. No floppy or CDR.

You can probably set it up yourself, no software needed, as far as I'm aware. Just give the AIS call centre a ring when you get your new sim card, ask them to set up the GPRS service on your phone. With my last phone they just sent me an SMS that configured it automatically. Open up the 'services' menu in your phone and select AIS Internet as your default access point.

On your lap top, go into control panel => network connections and set up a new dial-in connection to use with your mobile phone. The dial in number for the GPRS modem is usually *99# on most Nokias. Leave the login and password fields blank, you don't need them.

You shouldn't need to install any software, as far as I'm aware.

Nope. I just went into services to have a look and see what you're talking about . Lost already.

Mai pen rai. I'm sure I'll find someone in bangkok willing and able to do it for me.

I've had some good advice on LP and along with your very helpful suggestions now understand a bit more.

Many thanks.