Marriage, Pregnncy & Birth Certificates

Rango

My Thai girlfriend of several years is pregnant. :D I am quite happy about this, however she and i are not married. :o We have been talking about getting hitched for some time now but never quite got around to it.

My question is, if we are not married at the time of the birth, will this have any affect on wether or not my name goes on the birth certificate? I have seen that the rules have changed for the dependant's visa so it seems like simply having a child here won't take care of my visa problems. I am wondering if there maybe any additional knock-on effects of not getting married prior to giving birth that aren't blatantly obvious.

thx!

• 2 months later...
My question is, if we are not married at the time of the birth, will this have any affect on wether or not my name goes on the birth certificate? I have seen that the rules have changed for the dependant's visa so it seems like simply having a child here won't take care of my visa problems. I am wondering if there maybe any additional knock-on effects of not getting married prior to giving birth that aren't blatantly obvious.

Your name can go on the birth certificate, even if you aren't married at the time of birth. So, if you've been talking about marriage anyway, what's stopping you?

Has the visa rule changed regarding being needed as a family provider?

Your child will still be able to have your last name withoutn you being married, my girlfriend has just had our son 5 weeks ago, he has my last name.

You all have me curious.. You don't need to be married, but you can have your family name as the father of your child on the birth certificate.. What does that entitle the child? Does that make him/her a dual citizen?? Your child can depart Thailand with you?? I really don't know.. I'm in a long time relationship as well, not married, but if we had a child, I would like that option to take my child back to the States, without going through a bunch of paperwork to do that, but I'm sure that is normal protocol..

If the child is to live in Thailand is it a good idea for the child to take a non Thai surname I would think that it would help the child to keep a Thai name going through school if there was ever a need for the child to leave Thailand and live with the father their name could always be changed to the fathers name if required I know most men would like their children to have their surname but I am just thinking of the child's future

You all have me curious.. You don't need to be married, but you can have your family name as the father of your child on the birth certificate.. What does that entitle the child? Does that make him/her a dual citizen?? Your child can depart Thailand with you?? I really don't know.. I'm in a long time relationship as well, not married, but if we had a child, I would like that option to take my child back to the States, without going through a bunch of paperwork to do that, but I'm sure that is normal protocol..

I would think the child as dual nationality what ever they are called as long as you can prove you are the father. Does a birth certificate prove that the man named on the birth certificate is the father

When the child is born to a Thai national in Thailand (regardless of the surname given), he/she does not automatically acquire dual-citizenship; at least with respect to US laws.

To offer the child US citizenship you will need to apply for such at the US Embassy in BKK. It's been awhile since I had to do this with my eldest daughter, but basically you have to prove that you have a bonafide/ongoing relationship with the child, not just a biological relationship. Photos of you and child (and mother), financial support, etc all help to shore up your proof of relationship.

You need to consult with the ACS (American Consular Services) dept at the US Embassy for further details.

P.S. You do not have to be married to the Thai woman. Just make sure your name appears on the child's birth certificate.

Edited by Gumballl