20,000 Thb Bowl Of Soup! :-)

chicowoodduck

20,000 BAHT bowl of Thai Noodle/Pork Soup?

Having called the Land of Smiles my home since the end of last year, one had to figure that sooner or later I'd get the tainted food. Last week I had a 30 baht bowl of Thai noodle/pork soup on Pattayaklang Road up near 3rd Pattaya Road that ended up costing me in excess of 20,000 baht ($600 USD). Why? Well, within an hour or so of consuming my portion of the soup, I proceeded on a nine day journey of trips to the toilet (vomit/diarrhea) followed by collapses on my bed, mixed in with a few trips to the pharmacy, doctor and finally the Bangkok Pattaya Hospital up on the Sukumvit Road. By the time I made my final resting stop on the 9th Floor of the hospital, I was already 15 pounds lighter and waaay dehydrated. It took four (4) IV Fluid containers just to stabilize my system. I think the only one not concerned was me! At the time, I figured that I was in a single deluxe room, two doctors at my bedside, and five nurses buzzing around me like I’m royalty. I figured that if it was time for my “dirt nap,” at least I’d be smiling and not have to worry about pooping my pants since there wasn’t anything left in my guts. I just took the Alfred E. Newman of Mad Magazine approach, “What? Me worry!” So to make a long story short, I’m stabilized, I’m finally home, and I have a shit load (pun intended) of pills (see my hit parade of drugs below) to take for the next week or so while “cooling my jets,” not to mention my pants! Perhaps I shall become a TV soap opera critic?

My main reason for writing this is to warn people to forget the pharmacy run-a-round and just get the hospital to do the check-up, it might save you some extended and prolonged pain and suffering.

And just so you know, I’m on the up and up and food actually sounds good once again….just not Thai food! Tee Hee.

Cheers!

George

Prescribed Bangkok Hospital Medications:

1. Duspatain 135 Mg - Abdominal Pain

2. Miracid 20 Mg - Acid secretion

3. Montilium-M 10 Mg - Nausa / Vomitting

4. Librax

5. Ciprobay 500 Mg - Antibiotic

6. Metrolex 400 Mg - Antibiotic

7. Somecta Powder

8. Electrolyte Powder

9. Volcididol 100 Mg - headache

10. Tylenol 500 MG - headache / fever

I really doubt it was the noodle soup. Food poisoning generally takes 24 to 48hrs (or more) before you start to see and feel the effects. Most relate the food poisoning with the last thing that they ate since this is usually the first thing that comes back up. I would suggest thinking back from the time you got sick until approximately three days before what you had to eat. I would be willing to bet that it was something you ate then rather than the noodle soup.

Noodle/Pork Soup

4. Librax

7. Somecta Powder

8. Electrolyte Powder

Sounds like the beginning of a night out. Wimp.

Giradia ?

I had giradia when I was 11 years old. I had it for about a year and almost died from it. I was in the hospital every month and the doctors couldn't figure out what was wrong with me. I came near to death. I had to stay in the hospital for a month on drip when they figured out what it was. Turns out I may have gotten it from bear shit in the Yuba River in California.

Having called the Land of Smiles my home since the end of last year, one had to figure that sooner or later I'd get the tainted food. Last week I had a 30 baht bowl of Thai noodle/pork soup on Pattayaklang Road up near 3rd Pattaya Road that ended up costing me in excess of 20,000 baht ($600 USD). Why? Well, within an hour or so of consuming my portion of the soup, I proceeded on a nine day journey of trips to the toilet (vomit/diarrhea) followed by collapses on my bed, mixed in with a few trips to the pharmacy, doctor and finally the Bangkok Pattaya Hospital up on the Sukumvit Road. By the time I made my final resting stop on the 9th Floor of the hospital, I was already 15 pounds lighter and waaay dehydrated. It took four (4) IV Fluid containers just to stabilize my system. I think the only one not concerned was me! At the time, I figured that I was in a single deluxe room, two doctors at my bedside, and five nurses buzzing around me like I’m royalty. I figured that if it was time for my “dirt nap,” at least I’d be smiling and not have to worry about pooping my pants since there wasn’t anything left in my guts. I just took the Alfred E. Newman of Mad Magazine approach, “What? Me worry!” So to make a long story short, I’m stabilized, I’m finally home, and I have a shit load (pun intended) of pills (see my hit parade of drugs below) to take for the next week or so while “cooling my jets,” not to mention my pants! Perhaps I shall become a TV soap opera critic?

My main reason for writing this is to warn people to forget the pharmacy run-a-round and just get the hospital to do the check-up, it might save you some extended and prolonged pain and suffering.

And just so you know, I’m on the up and up and food actually sounds good once again….just not Thai food! Tee Hee.

Cheers!

George

4. Librax

7. Somecta Powder

8. Electrolyte Powder

Could you give more info on which restaurant this is?

Get well soon!

Noodle/Pork Soup

4. Librax

7. Somecta Powder

8. Electrolyte Powder

Sounds like the beginning of a night out. Wimp.

or what you take the morning after an evening of bareback :o

I really doubt it was the noodle soup. Food poisoning generally takes 24 to 48hrs (or more) before you start to see and feel the effects. <snip>

I agree that it likely was not food poison caused by the noodle soup. Less than an hour would seem unlikely. But my experience with food poisoning is that the period is more like 6 -8 hours.

Cheers!

George

4. Librax

7. Somecta Powder

8. Electrolyte Powder

Sorry to hear of your problem, pleased to see you retained your sence of humour, but shit happens as they say.

I think this could have happened with most food establishments in LOS, although I stopped eating at the roadside after returning to my hotel in BKK when I passed several roadside stalls that were wrapped up for the night.

The 25 yards from the main road to the hopel was alive with rats, literally there must have been over 300 of the b...ds! some were climbing all over these stalls and under the covers that presumably were suposed to be protecting them.

I am not usually squemish about rats but it was a bit much when the sods ignored my throwing some plastic bottles amongst them, hardly moved at all.

Look on the bright side, some people have paid 10 times what you paid to stay in a spa and never lost anything like 15lbs in a week.

Roy gsd :o

Giradia ?

I had giradia when I was 11 years old. I had it for about a year and almost died from it. I was in the hospital every month and the doctors couldn't figure out what was wrong with me. I came near to death. I had to stay in the hospital for a month on drip when they figured out what it was. Turns out I may have gotten it from bear shit in the Yuba River in California.

I bet you dont eat bear shit anymore :o:D

roy gsd

Most likely not food poisoning from the most recent meal , 6- 24 hours at least , as severe as it was it is likely you ingested a large amount of bacterium and probably on the shorter end of the time line , think previous evenings meal , or possible even breakfast, quite often fresh squeezed orange juice is the culprit , if using dropped oranges, those that have fallen from the tree, and without proper washing the skins are just crawling with all sorts of goodies.

glad your on the mend and good advice if you experience severe diarrhea and cramping get to a hospital, leptosporosis has similar symptoms and can be deadly.

Has anybody here eaten in a Thai restaurant next to immigration?

I did once, just a kow pat gai, and it just didn't seem right. I did try a couple of mouthfuls but decided to leave the meal as I was not at all confident if it's safety.

That night I was quite sick with bad stomach pains and diarrhea and I am so glad that I didn't eat the whole thing.

Just a heads up like.

I really doubt it was the noodle soup. Food poisoning generally takes 24 to 48hrs (or more) before you start to see and feel the effects. Most relate the food poisoning with the last thing that they ate since this is usually the first thing that comes back up. I would suggest thinking back from the time you got sick until approximately three days before what you had to eat. I would be willing to bet that it was something you ate then rather than the noodle soup.

This part of your statement is at the very least confusing "I would be willing to bet that it was something you ate then rather than the noodle soup"

I could be wrong on this but I believe the OP ATE the noodle soup. Don't think he swam in it.

Also, not sure where you got your facts about 24-48 hours or more to feel the effects of food poisoning. More likely something you ate within the last 6-8 hours will cause such sudden effects.

Accute vomiting from something you ate 3 days ago is highly unlikely unless you have the metabolism of a black bear in hibernation.

But then again you sound like a local Doctor to me. :o

Giradia ?

I bet you dont eat bear shit anymore :o:D

roy gsd

I don't laugh out loud at many things I read, but this made me pi$$ myself.

Ahhh...little things, etc. etc.

Giradia ?

Well, as luck would have it, I had a good dose of that (Giradia) as well back in the early 90's, by the time they tracked it down, I'd lost close to 20 pounds and fighting my way out of a wet paperbag would have been a major acomplishment.

As for the onset of my symptoms, my meal consumption for the prior 10-12 hours consisted of poached eggs on toast, potatoes, and a club sandwhich.

FYI - Lucky for me that my American Health provider will be picking up the tab (25,000 THB) for my hospital stay, medications and the like.

As for the post calling me a "whimp," try walking and crapping in my shoes for a week. :o

This part of your statement is at the very least confusing "I would be willing to bet that it was something you ate then rather than the noodle soup"

I could be wrong on this but I believe the OP ATE the noodle soup. Don't think he swam in it.

Also, not sure where you got your facts about 24-48 hours or more to feel the effects of food poisoning. More likely something you ate within the last 6-8 hours will cause such sudden effects.

Accute vomiting from something you ate 3 days ago is highly unlikely unless you have the metabolism of a black bear in hibernation.

The word “then” was referencing the sentence prior to the one it was used in. (i.e. “then” = ‘time from getting sick to three days prior’) Understand my point yet?

And I am sure he did “eat” the soup, but maybe if you are trying to be so technically on the English language we could argue that he possibly could have ‘drank’ it, right?

My facts were from firsthand experience of having food poisoning and going to the hospital. But since you are trying unsuccessfully to rant out into a great debate, I have since looked up food poisoning using ‘Wikipedia’. (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Food_poisoning) I would highly recommend you do the same so that you can get better educated as well.

Symptoms typically begin several hours to several days after consumption”

You can just call me Dr. Dingdong......... :D

Giardia ( not Girardia guys!) is a really nast little bugger!! Symptoms are very similar to other gut infections, but persist much longer without the correct treatment. I had it once in the middle of nowhere and lost 10lbs in a week! Nothing I took worked, and all the "medical" staff I consulted were as helpful as a kick in the teeth. ANTIBIOTICS DO NOT HAVE ANY EFFECT ON GIARDIA!!!! The number of qualified people who think that antibiotics work on giardia is crazy, they do not!! The only thing that will help you is Metronidazole (Flagyl) and I now always carry a course of them with me just in case.

This does not constitute medical advice!!!

Just something worth knowing.

:o

The word “then” was referencing the sentence prior to the one it was used in. (i.e. “then” = ‘time from getting sick to three days prior’) Understand my point yet?

And I am sure he did “eat” the soup, but maybe if you are trying to be so technically on the English language we could argue that he possibly could have ‘drank’ it, right?

My facts were from firsthand experience of having food poisoning and going to the hospital. But since you are trying unsuccessfully to rant out into a great debate, I have since looked up food poisoning using ‘Wikipedia’. (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Food_poisoning) I would highly recommend you do the same so that you can get better educated as well.

Symptoms typically begin several hours to several days after consumption”

You can just call me Dr. Dingdong......... :D

Not trying to rant out into a great debate. But nonetheless glad to see you took the effort to use Wiki as your source for the meaning of food poisoning. I am sure the OP feels better now. I know I do. :D

Incubation period

The delay between consumption of a contaminated food and appearance of the first symptoms of illness is called the incubation period. This ranges from hours to days (and rarely months or even years, such as in the case of Listeriosis or Creutzfeldt-Jacob disease), depending on the agent, and on how much was consumed. If symptoms occur within 1–6 hours after eating the food, it suggests that it is caused by a bacterial toxin or a chemical rather than live bacteria.

The long incubation period of many foodborne illnesses tends to cause sufferers to attribute their symptoms to "stomach flu."

During the incubation period, microbes pass through the stomach into the intestine, attach to the cells lining the intestinal walls, and begin to multiply there. Some types of microbes stay in the intestine, some produce a toxin that is absorbed into the bloodstream, and some can directly invade the deeper body tissues. The symptoms produced depend on the type of microbe.[2]

Wiki